Subject: [Idr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-rfd-usable-03.txt> (Making Route Flap Damping Usable) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 07:13:08 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Inter-Domain Routing WG (idr) to
consider the following document:
- 'Making Route Flap Damping Usable'
  <draft-ietf-idr-rfd-usable-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-09-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Route Flap Damping (RFD) was first proposed to reduce BGP churn in
   routers.  Unfortunately, RFD was found to severely penalize sites for
   being well-connected because topological richness amplifies the
   number of update messages exchanged.  Many operators have turned RFD
   off.  Based on experimental measurement, this document recommends
   adjusting a few RFD algorithmic constants and limits, to reduce the
   high risks with RFD, with the result being damping a non-trivial
   amount of long term churn without penalizing well-behaved prefixes'
   normal convergence process.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-rfd-usable/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-rfd-usable/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.