Subject: [Idr] WG LC for draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:03:59 -0400

Just in case the last message on this topic got caught in August doldrums,
we are extending the WG last call for 1 more week: 

IANA Registries for BGP Extended Communities

draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana/

What this document does:

This document reorganizes the IANA Registries for the type values and
sub-type values of BGP Extended Communities attribute and the BGP
IPv6-Address-Specific Extended Communities attribute.

Without additional Votes for approval, this document will not pass WG last
call. 

Sue and John  

Idr-co-chairs

---

From: "Dickson, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 19:13:59 +0000

Support. Sorry for not doing so sooner. (I thought it had enough votes and/or passed.)

Brian

From: Susan Hares <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Friday, September 13, 2013 3:03 PM
To: idr wg <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "'John G. Scudder'" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, 'Yakov Rekhter' <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: [Idr] WG LC for draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt

Just in case the last message on this topic got caught in August doldrums, we are extending the WG last call for 1 more week:
IANA Registries for BGP Extended Communities
draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana/
What this document does:
This document reorganizes the IANA Registries for the type values and sub-type values of BGP Extended Communities attribute and the BGPIPv6-Address-Specific Extended Communities attribute.
Without additional Votes for approval, this document will not pass WG last call.
Sue and John
Idr-co-chairs

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:14:35 -1000

have read, and have no issues worth being a pita about

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:22:55 -1000

> I thought it had enough votes and/or passed.

that would be impossible, as we do not vote

randy

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:59:38 -0400

On Sep 13, 2013, at 3:03 PM, Susan Hares <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This document reorganizes the IANA Registries for the type values and sub-type values of BGP Extended Communities attribute and the BGP IPv6-Address-Specific Extended Communities attribute.

Read. Support.

> Sue and John  
> Idr-co-chairs
> _______________________________________________
> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

-- 
"I think it would be a good idea." 
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

---

From: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 21:08:10 +0000

Support.

> > Just in case the last message on this topic got caught in August
> doldrums, we are extending the WG last call for 1 more week:
> sub-type values of BGP Extended Communities attribute and the BGP IPv6-
> Address-Specific Extended Communities attribute.

---

From: Marco Rodrigues <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 21:17:51 +0000

Support.

Marco.

Cc: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "'John G. Scudder'" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:11:13 -0400

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana/

As usual, I'm behind in my email.  However, I strongly support the last call
on this draft.

The life of the extended communities feature has been somewhat muddled
across its lifetime from original I-D to its RFC state.  A significant
portion of its lack of clarity has been the appearance, even though not
actually stated in the draft or other I-Ds or RFCs that add related code
points, that things are far more structured than they're really specified.

Examples as a young BGP implementor had included presuming the transitivity
bit is simply a bit rather than defining a separate code space.  The same
thing holds for the IANA bit.

Additional points of confusion have tended to include the sub-type field
which is effectively in many implementations a "format type", is shown that
this is explicitly only so for specific types - and that it may be distinct
depending on the I or T bits.

Finally, the issues surrounding allocation policy were significantly
tightened up as the original extended community drafts went from I-D to RFC,
this document further normalizes the "experimental" space as having long
lived code points in it, such as the RFC 5575 flowspec redirect-to-vrf
community.

In my opinion, this work is not only long overdue, but strongly necessary to
help avoiding further semantic drift in the extended community registries
and related accidentally incorrect implementations.

Did I mention I support this document? :-)
(And if you haven't chimed in but have a BGP implementation, you should do
so as well.)

-- Jeff

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:50:49 -0400

Jeff, Randy, Qin, Yakov and Eric: 

Nice discussion the draft. This draft has passed WG last call. 

The write-up will be posted today. The cross-area reviews have begun
(OPS-DIR, GEN-ART, IANA).  If you wish to suggest any other reviews, please
send the note to Sue Hares (Document shepherd).   Lastly, please watch for
IETF last call. 

Sue Hares

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Jeffrey Haas
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:11 AM
To: Susan Hares
Cc: idr wg; [email-masked]; 'John G. Scudder'; 'Yakov Rekhter'
Subject: Re: [Idr] WG LC for draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt

Did I mention I support this document? :-) (And if you haven't chimed in but
have a BGP implementation, you should do so as well.)

-- Jeff