Subject: [Idr] Protocol Action: 'IANA Registries for BGP Extended Communities' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:06:06 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IANA Registries for BGP Extended Communities'
  (draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana-02.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana/

Technical Summary

   This document reorganizes the IANA Registries for the type 
   values and sub-type values of BGP Extended Communities 
   attribute and the BGP IPv6-Address-Specific Extended 
   Communities attribute. This is done in order to remove 
   inter-dependencies among the registries, thus making 
   it easier for IANA to determine which code points are 
   available for assignment in which registries. This document 
   also clarifies the information that must be provided to IANA 
   when requesting an allocation from one or more of these 
   registries. These changes are compatible with the 
   existing allocations, and thus do not affect protocol 
   implementations. The changes will however impact 
   the "IANA Considerations" sections of future protocol 
   specifications. This document updates RFCs 4360 and 5701.

Working Group Summary

  Approvals were given all round by implementors and deployers. 
  The only problem with a “no-brainer” request is that people 
  forget to comment. 

Document Quality

  This is an IANA clean-up.  

Personnel

   Susan Hares is the Document Shepherd.
   Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.