Subject: [Idr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-18.txt> (Revised Error Handling for BGP UPDATE Messages) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:01:11 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Inter-Domain Routing WG (idr) to
consider the following document:
- 'Revised Error Handling for BGP UPDATE Messages'
  <draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-18.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-03-12. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   According to the base BGP specification, a BGP speaker that receives
   an UPDATE message containing a malformed attribute is required to
   reset the session over which the offending attribute was received.
   This behavior is undesirable, because a session reset would impact
   not only routes with the offending attribute, but also other, valid
   routes exchanged over the session.  This document partially revises
   the error handling for UPDATE messages and provides guidelines for
   the authors of documents defining new attributes.  Finally, it
   revises the error handling procedures for a number of existing
   attributes.

   This document updates error handling for RFCs 1997, 4271, 4360, 4456,
   4760, 5543, 5701 and 6368.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-error-handling/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-error-handling/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.