Subject: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification - 1 week call for comments on early adoption (3/21 to 3/30)

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 19:18:24 -0400

Greetings IDR: 

As John Scudder notes draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification-10.txt  will be
changed to have no suggested value.  

   IANA is requested to assign a new subcode in the "BGP Cease

   NOTIFICATION message subcodes" registry.  The suggested name for the

   code point is "Hard Reset".  The suggested value is 9.

Given this change, the IDR WG is asked to consider early code-point adoption
for draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification, and any additions they wish to make
on the last WG LC (which found consensus).   With more details on 2
implementations (Cisco and Juniper), this will be forwarded to the IESG.  If
you wish to send any additional comments, since John is a co-authors -
please send them to me or to Jie Dong.   Jie will provide me a summary of
comments he's received. 

Will Cisco and Juniper people, please update the wiki page on the
implementation.   The authors an provide a section in the draft (if they
wish) with implementation - which will be removed before publication.  

Sue Hares

---

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 23:29:53 +0000

Hi Sue,

Since early code point assignment is a topic in another thread and the specter of bureaucracy was raised, I'd like to question as to why we need an early adoption call?  Since the document  has already been accepted as a WG document and there is implementation interest, isn't that enough to warrant early code point adoption?

Thanks,
Acee

From: Idr <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> on behalf of Susan Hares <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 7:18 PM
To: IDR List <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification - 1 week call for comments on early adoption (3/21 to 3/30)

Greetings IDR:

As John Scudder notes draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification-10.txt  will be changed to have no suggested value.

Given this change, the IDR WG is asked to consider early code-point adoption for draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification, and any additions they wish to make on the last WG LC (which found consensus).   With more details on 2 implementations (Cisco and Juniper), this will be forwarded to the IESG.  If you wish to send any additional comments, since John is a co-authors - please send them to me or to Jie Dong.   Jie will provide me a summary of comments he's received.

Will Cisco and Juniper people, please update the wiki page on the implementation.   The authors an provide a section in the draft (if they wish) with implementation - which will be removed before publication.

Sue Hares

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 15:02:46 -0400

Acee: 

You raise a good point.  John and I debated the topic earlier this week.
However, since one of the co-chairs is a co-author, we decided it was best
to review until 3/30.   John made the point that he cannot change the draft
until 3/27, and Alvaro will need the changed draft for IANA.   Alvaro is
copied, and I will talk to IANA to make sure they can process this quickly.

Could you help us update the implementation part for cisco? 

Sue 

From: Idr [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Acee Lindem (acee)
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:30 PM
To: Susan Hares; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification - 1 week call for
comments on early adoption (3/21 to 3/30)

Hi Sue, 

Since early code point assignment is a topic in another thread and the
specter of bureaucracy was raised, I'd like to question as to why we need an
early adoption call?  Since the document  has already been accepted as a WG
document and there is implementation interest, isn't that enough to warrant
early code point adoption? 

Thanks,

Acee

From: Idr <[email-masked]> on behalf of Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 7:18 PM
To: IDR List <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification - 1 week call for comments
on early adoption (3/21 to 3/30)

Greetings IDR: 

 

Sue Hares

---

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 21:09:49 +0000

Hi Sue,
Sounds good. I will follow up on Cisco implementation or intent to implement. Independent of our BGP roadmap, I would support allocation if anyone is interested in implementing it since I believe it is a useful extension.
Thanks,
Acee

From: Susan Hares <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 3:02 PM
To: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, IDR List <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification - 1 week call for comments on early adoption (3/21 to 3/30)

Acee:

You raise a good point.  John and I debated the topic earlier this week.  However, since one of the co-chairs is a co-author, we decided it was best to review until 3/30.   John made the point that he cannot change the draft until 3/27, and Alvaro will need the changed draft for IANA.   Alvaro is copied, and I will talk to IANA to make sure they can process this quickly.

Sue

From: Idr [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Acee Lindem (acee)
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:30 PM
To: Susan Hares; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification - 1 week call for comments on early adoption (3/21 to 3/30)

Hi Sue,

Thanks,
Acee

Greetings IDR:

Sue Hares

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:16:23 -0400

Thank you.  I appreciate the aid filling out the implementation report.

Sue 

From: Acee Lindem (acee) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:10 PM
To: Susan Hares; [email-masked]
Cc: Alvaro Retana (aretana)
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification - 1 week call for
comments on early adoption (3/21 to 3/30)

Hi Sue, 

Sounds good. I will follow up on Cisco implementation or intent to
implement. Independent of our BGP roadmap, I would support allocation if
anyone is interested in implementing it since I believe it is a useful
extension.

Thanks,

Acee

From: Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 3:02 PM
To: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>, IDR List <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification - 1 week call for
comments on early adoption (3/21 to 3/30)

Acee: 

 

Sue 

Hi Sue, 

Thanks,

Acee

Greetings IDR: 

 

Sue Hares