Subject: [Idr] preempt BGP parameter squatting through warnings/errors in idnits tool?

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 21:06:36 +0100

Hi group,

This morning I thought to myself: "isn't part of the codepoint squatting
challenge our dependence on manual review of drafts for documented
potential squatting?"

Perhaps the idnits tool (https://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/about) can
be updated in such a way to throw a warning or nit error when the
Working group is "IDR" and the "IANA Considerations" section contains
any of these regexes:

    [cCode] \(suggested [0-9]+\)
    suggested value .* [0-9]+\.
    [tT]he suggested value

Or perhaps only look for these if the string 'TDB' doesn't occur
anywhere the "IANA Considerations" section. I'm sure we can come up with
some likely heuristics based on prior submissions to catch potential
squatting-to-be.

The idnits tools could make a suggestion like:

    "It appears this draft targetted for IDR is self servicing BGP
    codepoints, please review
    https://trac.ietf.org/trac/idr/wiki/Checklist%20for%20writing%20a%20BGP-related%20draft
    or contact the IDR chairs".

Of course this may only be a small piece of the solution, but it could
help instill discipline in this working group.

Kind regards,

Job