Subject: [Idr] [[email-masked]: I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-interfaceset-03.txt]

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 15:02:15 -0400

Note that the only change in -03 was to update the IANA considerations so
that the proposal could proceed with first come, first serve extended
community allocation from IANA.  

The authors intend to address the points Geoff Huston raised as part of
early routing directorate review in the next revision.  No protocol changes
are expected to result from that update.

-- Jeff

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 07:17:07 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-interfaceset-03.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing of the IETF.

        Title           : Applying BGP flowspec rules on a specific interface set
        Authors         : Stephane Litkowski
                          Adam Simpson
                          Keyur Patel
                          Jeff Haas
                          Lucy Yong
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-interfaceset-03.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2017-03-11

Abstract:
   BGP flowspec is an extension to BGP that allows for the dissemination
   of traffic flow specification rules.  The primary application of this
   extension is DDoS mitigation where the flowspec rules are applied in
   most cases to all peering routers of the network.

   This document will present another use case of BGP flowspec where
   flow specifications are used to maintain some access control lists at
   network boundary.  BGP flowspec is a very efficient distributing
   machinery that can help in saving OPEX while deploying/updating ACLs.
   This new application requires flow specification rules to be applied
   only on a specific subset of interfaces and in a specific direction.

   The current specification of BGP flowspec ([RFC5575]) introduces the
   notion of flow specification (which describes the matching criterion)
   and traffic filtering actions.  The flow specification is encoded as
   part of the NLRI while the traffic filtering actions are encoded as
   extended communities.  The combination of a flow specification and
   one or more actions is known as a flow specification rule.  [RFC5575]
   does not detail where the flow specification rules need to be
   applied.

   Besides the flow specification and traffic filtering actions, this
   document introduces the notion of traffic filtering scope in order to
   drive where a particular rule must be applied.  In particular, this
   document introduces the "interface-set" traffic filtering scope that
   could be used in parallel of traffic filtering actions (marking,
   rate-limiting ...).  The purpose of this extension is to inform
   remote routers about groups of interfaces where the rule must be
   applied.

   This extension can also be used in a DDoS mitigation context where a
   provider wants to apply the filtering only on specific peers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-interfaceset/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-interfaceset-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-interfaceset-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

----- End forwarded message -----