Subject: [Idr] RFC 8538 on Notification Message Support for BGP Graceful Restart

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 17:49:04 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8538

        Title:      Notification Message Support for BGP 
                    Graceful Restart 
        Author:     K. Patel,
                    R. Fernando,
                    J. Scudder,
                    J. Haas
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 21229
        Updates:    RFC 4724

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification-16.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8538

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8538

The BGP Graceful Restart mechanism defined in RFC 4724 limits the
usage of BGP Graceful Restart to BGP messages other than BGP
NOTIFICATION messages.  This document updates RFC 4724 by defining an
extension that permits the Graceful Restart procedures to be
performed when the BGP speaker receives a BGP NOTIFICATION message or
the Hold Time expires.  This document also defines a new subcode for
BGP Cease NOTIFICATION messages; this new subcode requests a full
session restart instead of a Graceful Restart.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC