Subject: [Idr] Requirements for Autodiscovery - Discuss thread - 1 week

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 12:25:02 -0500

Greetings: 

The authors of draft-xu-idr-neighbor-autodiscovery have asked for WG
adoption of their latest draft.  However, before this begins, the IDR WG
needs to discuss the requirements for auto-discovery.   The previous thread
on autodiscovery did not yield a specific set of global IDR requirements.
Therefore, the LSVR WG was encouraged to make progress on their solution. 

This thread re-opens this discussion.  Please comment on this thread on the
requirements for BGP auto-discovery.  If you feel some requirements are
context specific, please provide the context. 

Cheerily, Sue Hares

---

From: "Ketan Talaulikar (ketant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 18:18:34 +0000

Hi Sue,

The authors of draft-xu-idr-neighbor-autodiscovery have tried to capture the applicability (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-idr-neighbor-autodiscovery-10#section-3) and requirements (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-idr-neighbor-autodiscovery-10#section-4) that we had in mind during our work on this solution.

I hope this provides some context and perhaps even a starting point for discussion. Feedback and inputs are welcome.

Thanks,
Ketan

From: Idr <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Susan Hares
Sent: 05 March 2019 22:55
To: 'idr wg' <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Idr] Requirements for Autodiscovery - Discuss thread - 1 week

Greetings:

The authors of draft-xu-idr-neighbor-autodiscovery have asked for WG adoption of their latest draft.  However, before this begins, the IDR WG needs to discuss the requirements for auto-discovery.   The previous thread on autodiscovery did not yield a specific set of global IDR requirements.  Therefore, the LSVR WG was encouraged to make progress on their solution.

This thread re-opens this discussion.  Please comment on this thread on the requirements for BGP auto-discovery.  If you feel some requirements are context specific, please provide the context.

Cheerily, Sue Hares

---

From: "徐小虎(义先)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 23:38:00 +0800

The motivations for BGP auto-discovery have been explained in the Introduction section. 

Best regards,
Xiaohu

------------------------------------------------------------------
From:Ketan Talaulikar (ketant) <[email-masked]>
Send Time:2019年3月6日(星期三) 02:18
To:Susan Hares <[email-masked]>; idr wg <[email-masked]>
Subject:Re: [Idr] Requirements for Autodiscovery - Discuss thread - 1 week

Hi Sue,

Thanks,
Ketan

Cheerily, Sue Hares

---

From: Neeraj Malhotra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 16:04:28 -0700

Hi,

This is my take on this topic: An auto-discovery protocol should allow for
discovery of any neighbor attributes, depending on upper layer protocols
instead of being limited in scope to BGP use cases. In addition, it should
be extensible for future applications. Neighbor auto-discovery is a link
level problem and it seems intuitive that it be handled via a link layer
protocol. Not clear as to what is the benefit of trying to use BGP as a
link layer protocol.

Thanks,

Neeraj

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 9:25 AM Susan Hares <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This thread re-opens this discussion.  Please comment on this thread on
> the requirements for BGP auto-discovery.  If you feel some requirements are
> _______________________________________________
> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr
>