Subject: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-set-confed-set-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 19:24:56 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Deprecation of AS_SET and AS_CONFED_SET in BGP
        Authors         : Warren Kumari
                          Kotikalapudi Sriram
                          Lilia Hannachi
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-set-confed-set-02.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2019-11-03

Abstract:
   BCP 172 (i.e., RFC 6472) recommends not using AS_SET and
   AS_CONFED_SET in the Border Gateway Protocol.  This document advances
   this recommendation to a standards requirement in BGP; it proscribes
   the use of the AS_SET and AS_CONFED_SET types of path segments in the
   AS_PATH.  This is done to simplify the design and implementation of
   BGP and to make the semantics of the originator of a route clearer.
   This will also simplify the design, implementation, and deployment of
   various BGP security mechanisms.  This document (if approved) updates
   RFC 4271 and RFC 5065 by eliminating AS_SET and AS_CONFED_SET types,
   and obsoletes RFC 6472.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-set-confed-set/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-set-confed-set-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-set-confed-set-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-set-confed-set-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 03:31:58 +0000

Dear all,

It appears we now could use some running code that treats AS_SET and
AS_CONFED_SET as withdraw, or at least provides a
button/flag/knob/policy language hook to make it so!

Kind regards,

Job

On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 07:24:56PM -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Ondrej Zajicek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 22:27:52 +0100

> button/flag/knob/policy language hook to make it so!

Hi

Just added a patch [*] to BIRD to optionally reject AS_SETs (and AS_CONFED_SETs).

One thing that is not discussed in the draft is handling of AS_SETs in AS4_PATH.
It would make sense to also do treat-as-withdraw, but handling of inappropriate
AS_CONFED_* segments is already different in AS_PATH and AS4_PATH.

[*] https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/bird/commit/a52476c9be41e8d33e4a22e3dc733240ce791b42

-- 
Ondrej 'Santiago' Zajicek (email: [email-masked])

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 16:43:33 -0500

Ondrej,

> AS_CONFED_* segments is already different in AS_PATH and AS4_PATH.

This is a very good point.  The related normative updates vs. RFC 4893 are
now required.

This gets to be an intresting bit of code verification since it means that
some implementations may have stripped the 2-byte version of sets and the
4-byte stuff is still present in the AS4_PATH.

Then again, the spec was always incomplete with all of the crazy edge cases
that could happen.

-- Jeff