Subject: [Idr] BGP Auto Discovery and BGP Auto Session Setup

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 20:24:11 +0100

Dear WG,

We have seen formation of BGP Autodiscovery WG followed by total silence.
Well maybe group is
live just not everyone got onto its private list :)

Regardless of this I refreshed and resubmitted two proposals in this very
space.

1. BGP Auto Discovery

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-raszuk-idr-bgp-auto-discovery-06

and

2. BGP Automated Session Setup

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-raszuk-idr-bgp-auto-session-setup-01

*Ad 1:*

First document is focused on WAN and IX scenario where establishing
full mesh of IBGP or

selected eBGP peering can automate the operational management tasks or
if run in informational

mode could validate NMS session setup correctness.

Original proposal was presented many years ago in Vienna and at that
point suggested extension to

IGPs to flood discovery information for IBGP auto mesh. Later based on
the input and discussions with

Pedro the proposal got simplified to use classic Route Reflector as
bootstrap node (info broker).

Last input from Jon and Warren added the ability to also automate
setup of eBGP sessions in selected

scenarios.

Since then the document was shelved for some time waiting for IDR WG
turn to deal with discovery topic.

So here we are.

*Ad 2: *

The second document first published in July 2018 provides a very
trivial to implement mechanism (without

even changing BGP state machine) to automatically establish common LAN
or p2p interfaces BGP sessions.

Typical use case would be Clos DC fabrics, customer PE-CE LANs, TORs
to Compute Nodes etc ...

Comments, questions, feedback on both proposals all very welcome.

Kind regards,

Robert.