Subject: [Idr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-rfc5575bis-20.txt> (Dissemination of Flow Specification Rules) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 06:46:00 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Inter-Domain Routing WG (idr) to
consider the following document: - 'Dissemination of Flow Specification Rules'
  <draft-ietf-idr-rfc5575bis-20.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-04-08. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines a Border Gateway Protocol Network Layer
   Reachability Information (BGP NLRI) encoding format that can be used
   to distribute traffic Flow Specifications.  This allows the routing
   system to propagate information regarding more specific components of
   the traffic aggregate defined by an IP destination prefix.

   It also specifies BGP Extended Community encoding formats, that can
   be used to propagate Traffic Filtering Actions along with the Flow
   Specification NLRI.  Those Traffic Filtering Actions encode actions a
   routing system can take if the packet matches the Flow Specification.

   Additionally, it defines two applications of that encoding format:
   one that can be used to automate inter-domain coordination of traffic
   filtering, such as what is required in order to mitigate
   (distributed) denial-of-service attacks, and a second application to
   provide traffic filtering in the context of a BGP/MPLS VPN service.
   Other applications (ie. centralized control of traffic in a SDN or
   NFV context) are also possible.  Other documents may specify Flow
   Specification extensions.

   The information is carried via BGP, thereby reusing protocol
   algorithms, operational experience, and administrative processes such
   as inter-provider peering agreements.

   This document obsoletes both RFC5575 and RFC7674.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-rfc5575bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-rfc5575bis/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1088/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1106/