Subject: [Idr] router id

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 15:07:45 -0700

i have a vague memory that when v6 came along we 'fessed up to router id
being essentially a nonce, though with preferred values.  is there a ref
somewhere?  thanks.

randy

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 22:12:00 +0000

> being essentially a nonce, though with preferred values.  is there a ref

Section 4 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2545

  "... The BGP Identifier is a 32 bit unsigned integer exchanged between
  two peers at session establishment time, within an OPEN message. This
  is a system wide value determined at startup which must be unique in
  the network and should be derived from an IPv4 address regardless of
  the network protocol(s) a particular BGP-4 instance is configured to
  convey at a given moment."

Kind regards,

Job

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 15:15:30 -0700

> Section 4 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2545

nom nom

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 15:20:06 -0700

> being essentially a nonce, though with preferred values.  is there a ref

are you thinking of

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6286

which at least updates 4271

> randy
>
> _______________________________________________
> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr
>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 15:53:35 -0700

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6286

that was the one in my rotting mind.

> which at least updates 4271

but it does not admit it

Network Working Group                                    Y. Rekhter, Ed.
Request for Comments: 4271                                    T. Li, Ed.
Obsoletes: 1771                                            S. Hares, Ed.
Category: Standards Track                                   January 2006

---

From: Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 20:27:13 -0400

This is why the 4 bytes became a  bgp identifier. SueSent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]> Date: 4/1/20  6:07 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: Interminable Discussion Room <[email-masked]> Subject: [Idr] router id i have a vague memory that when v6 came along we 'fessed up to router idbeing essentially a nonce, though with preferred values.  is there a refsomewhere?  thanks.randy_______________________________________________Idr mailing [email-masked]://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: John Scudder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 18:51:15 +0000

On Apr 1, 2020, at 6:53 PM, Randy Bush <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

but it does not admit it

Unless the date was a clue, one of us is confused:

—John