Subject: [Idr] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change-08: (with DISCUSS)

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 04:58:20 -0700

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change-08: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[corrected] I mistook the IETF review policy for the content of the IESG
Approval.

This is a discuss point, but I don't want the document to go forward before
this discussion has concluded.

In section 3 the following statement is done:

   Note: a separate "owner" column is not provided because the owner of
   all registrations, once made, is "IESG".

The IESG has discussed this and are currently of the opinion that registrations
done by IETF documents should be "owned" by IETF. We are in the process of
establishing an IETF consensus on this. There is currently a draft on this:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations/ Reasons
for this are several, consistency to intended state, making it clear that it is
the IETF that owns IETF specification based registry entries, not created
management bodies, thirdly one can replace the IESG with soemthing else without
having to update all these registries.

Section 3.

Looking at the table. I see no explanation in this document to these entries.
Still you want to add them with this document as reference. Can you please add
an explanation behind the values being registered in the below table?

   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   | Value | Description                                | Reference /  |
   |       |                                            | Change       |
   |       |                                            | Controller   |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  128  | Prestandard Route Refresh (deprecated)     | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  129  | Prestandard Outbound Route Filtering       | (this        |
   |       | (deprecated),        prestandard Routing   | document)    |
   |       | Policy Distribution (deprecated)           |              |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  130  | Prestandard Outbound Route Filtering       | (this        |
   |       | (deprecated)                               | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  131  | Prestandard Multisession (deprecated)      | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  184  | Prestandard FQDN (deprecated)              | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  185  | Prestandard OPERATIONAL message            | (this        |
   |       | (deprecated)                               | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  255  | Reserved                                   | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 14:47:17 -0700

On May 6, 2020 at 7:58:21 AM, Magnus Westerlund wrote:

[Explicitly adding Amanda @ IANA.]

Magnus:

Hi!

...
> all registrations, once made, is "IESG".

Amanda (IANA) asked about this sentence as well.

It refers to Table 1, not Table 2 (where the registrations are made).
We agreed with Amanda to delete the sentence to avoid confusion.

> The IESG has discussed this and are currently of the opinion that
> registrations done by IETF documents should be "owned" by IETF. We are in
> the process of establishing an IETF consensus on this. There is currently a
> draft on this:
> for this are several, consistency to intended state, making it clear that it
> is the IETF that owns IETF specification based registry entries, not created
> management bodies, thirdly one can replace the IESG with soemthing else
> without having to update all these registries.

No objection.

If we remove the sentence above, then we should be in compliance with
the new draft.

Note that as part of our conversation with Amanda, the document will
also separate the "Reference / Change Controller" column into separate
ones.

> an explanation behind the values being registered in the below table?

Yes...Rob asked for an explanation as well.   It should be in the next revision.

Thanks!!

Alvaro.

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 14:06:23 +0000

> We agreed with Amanda to delete the sentence to avoid confusion.

Yes, that resolves the issue. 

> also separate the "Reference / Change Controller" column into separate

Sounds good. 

> Yes...Rob asked for an explanation as well.   It should be in the next

Thanks!

I will clear when the document is available. 

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Networks, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Torshamnsgatan 23           | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------