Subject: [Idr] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change-08: (with DISCUSS)

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 04:27:27 -0700

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change-08: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a discuss point, but I don't want the document to go forward before
this discussion has concluded.

In section 3 the following statement is done:

   Note: a separate "owner" column is not provided because the owner of
   all registrations, once made, is "IESG".

First of all, just because something is under IETF Review policy does not imply
that change control of a registration entry is owned by IETF. It might be true
that all current entries are established through IETF stream specifications,
where it make sense that change control is owned by IETF. So I would recommend
that you reformulate the note.

Secondly, the IESG has discussed this and are currently of the opinion that
registrations done by IETF documents should be "owned" by IETF. We are in the
process of establishing an IETF consensus on this. There is currently a draft
on this: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations/
Reasons for this are several, consistency to intended state, making it clear
that it is the IETF that owns IETF specification based registry entries, not
created management bodies, thirdly one can replace the IESG with soemthing else
without having to update all these registries.

Section 3.

Looking at the table. I see no explanation in this document to these entries.
Still you want to add them with this document as reference. Can you please add
an explanation behind the values being registered in the below table?

   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   | Value | Description                                | Reference /  |
   |       |                                            | Change       |
   |       |                                            | Controller   |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  128  | Prestandard Route Refresh (deprecated)     | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  129  | Prestandard Outbound Route Filtering       | (this        |
   |       | (deprecated),        prestandard Routing   | document)    |
   |       | Policy Distribution (deprecated)           |              |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  130  | Prestandard Outbound Route Filtering       | (this        |
   |       | (deprecated)                               | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  131  | Prestandard Multisession (deprecated)      | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  184  | Prestandard FQDN (deprecated)              | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  185  | Prestandard OPERATIONAL message            | (this        |
   |       | (deprecated)                               | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  255  | Reserved                                   | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+