Subject: [Idr] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-idr-rfc8203bis-06

From: Dan Romascanu via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 23:03:48 -0700

Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review result: Ready

The document is READY from an OPS-DIR perspective.

This document obsoletes RFC 8203 by fixing a problem which was probably not
envisioned when writing that document. The maximum permitted length is changed
from 128 to 255 because feedback from operators based in regions which
predominantly use multibyte character sets, showed that messages similar in
meaning to what can be send in other languages in using single-byte encoding,
failed to fit within the Length constraints as specified by RFC8203. As a side
comment, it proves the necessity and utility of operators reviews for protocols
document. A proper OPS review of RFC 8203 may have revealed the problem and
avoid this respin.

The document is clear, includes operational considerations, as well as security
considerations which are very important for operators. It also examines how the
cases of supporting obsolete RFC 8203 or not supporting at all the logging of
Shutdown Communication communications are to be dealt with. These aspects are
important to operators.