Subject: [Idr] Shepherd report on draft-ietf-idr-eag-distribution

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 14:20:56 -0500

Status: Ready with 2 issues plus 2 editorial changes 

1) Abstract: 

Why: IESG wishes succinct abstracts. 

Type: Editorial 

Required/optional:   Optional, authors choice 

Old text:/ 

   Administrative groups (commonly referred to as "colors" or "link

   colors") are link attributes that are advertised by link state

   protocols like IS-IS (Intermediate System to Intermediate System) and

   OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) and used for traffic engineering.

   These administrative groups have initially been defined as a fixed-

   length 32-bit bitmask.  As networks grew and more use-cases were

   introduced, the 32-bit length was found to be constraining and hence

   extended administrative groups were introduced in the link state

   protocols.  The 32-bit administrative groups are already advertised

   as link attributes in BGP-LS (Border Gateway Protocol Link-State).

   This document defines extensions to BGP-LS for advertisement of the

   extended administrative groups./

shorter text: 

   /Administrative Groups are link attributes (commonly referred to as 

  "colors" or link colors") advertised by link state protocols 

  (e.g. ISIS or OSPF) and used for traffic engineering.  These
administrative 

  groups were initially defined as 32 bit masks.  As network usage grew, 

  these 32 bit masks were found to constrain traffic engineering.  

  Therefore, link state protocols (ISIS, OSPF) were expanded to advertise 

  a variable length administrative group.  

   This document defines extensions to BGP-LS for advertisement of the 

   Extended administrative groups./ 

2)  Error handling added to section 2

     Location:  section 2 paragraph 2, line that specifies length. 

    Type: error handling issue  

    change: required 

old:/  

      Length: variable (MUST be multiple of 4); represents the total

      length of the value field in octets.

     /  

new:/length:  variable length which represents the total length of the 

                        value field. The length value must MUST be multiple
of 4.

                        If the length is not a multiple of 4, the TLV must
be considered

                       malformed. 

 /               

3) Typographical error - Section 2 

   Status:  optional, but recommended 

  Old:/Value :/

   New:/Value:/

4) Security considerations 

    status: issue, required change 

   Old:/

   The extensions in this document advertise same administrative group

   information specified via [RFC7752] but as a larger/extended value

   and hence does not introduce security issues beyond those discussed

   in [RFC7752]. 

    /  

    New:/

   The extensions in this document advertise same administrative group

   information specified via [RFC7752] but as a larger/extended value

   and hence does not introduce security issues beyond those discussed

   in [RFC7752] and [RFC7752bis]. 

  /  

Please list [RFC7752bis] as an informative reference.

---

From: Jeff Tantsura <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 11:12:49 -0800

Hi Sue,

Many thanks for your review and comments.
The authors will happily use them in the updated version of the document which will be published ASAP.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Jeff
On Nov 12, 2020, 11:21 AM -0800, Susan Hares <[email-masked]>, wrote:
>   (e.g. ISIS or OSPF) and used for traffic engineering.  These administrative
>                         value field. The length value must MUST be multiple of 4.
>                         If the length is not a multiple of 4, the TLV must be considered
>                        malformed.
>  /
>
> 3) Typographical error – Section 2