Subject: [Idr] Magnus Westerlund's Abstain on draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-22: (with COMMENT)

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:52:01 -0800

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-22: Abstain

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This document fails massively the alone on an island test. No one
can implement this without having the specification from an operator for what
they actually want to establish.

This in its turn makes it impossible to answer if there are issues or not and
additional configuration are needed for things like UDP zero-checksum, ECN, ICMP
processing etc. All these nitty gritty details that can make a tunnel work good
or not from an upper layer protocol perspective.