Subject: [Idr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid-13.txt> (Revised Validation Procedure for BGP Flow Specifications) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 12:22:16 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Inter-Domain Routing WG (idr) to
consider the following document: - 'Revised Validation Procedure for BGP Flow
Specifications'
  <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid-13.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-05-05. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a modification to the validation procedure
   defined for the dissemination of BGP Flow Specifications.  The
   dissemination of BGP Flow Specifications requires that the originator
   of the Flow Specification matches the originator of the best-match
   unicast route for the destination prefix embedded in the Flow
   Specification.  For an iBGP received route, the originator is
   typically a border router within the same autonomous system.  The
   objective is to allow only BGP speakers within the data forwarding
   path to originate BGP Flow Specifications.  Sometimes it is desirable
   to originate the BGP Flow Specification any place within the
   autonomous system itself, for example, from a centralized BGP route
   controller.  However, the validation procedure will fail in this
   scenario.  The modification proposed herein relaxes the validation
   rule to enable Flow Specifications to be originated within the same
   autonomous system as the BGP speaker performing the validation.
   Additionally, this document revises AS_PATH validation rules so Flow
   Specifications received from an eBGP peer can be validated when such
   peer is a BGP route server.

   This document updates the validation procedure in RFC8955.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.