Subject: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid-15.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 12:16:18 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Revised Validation Procedure for BGP Flow Specifications
        Authors         : James Uttaro
                          Juan Alcaide
                          Clarence Filsfils
                          David Smith
                          Pradosh Mohapatra
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid-15.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2021-06-03

Abstract:
   This document describes a modification to the validation procedure
   defined for the dissemination of BGP Flow Specifications.  The
   dissemination of BGP Flow Specifications as specified in [RFC8955]
   requires that the originator of the Flow Specification matches the
   originator of the best-match unicast route for the destination prefix
   embedded in the Flow Specification.  For an iBGP received route, the
   originator is typically a border router within the same autonomous
   system.  The objective is to allow only BGP speakers within the data
   forwarding path to originate BGP Flow Specifications.  Sometimes it
   is desirable to originate the BGP Flow Specification from any place
   within the autonomous system itself, for example, from a centralized
   BGP route controller.  However, the RFC 8955 validation procedure
   will fail in this scenario.  The modification proposed herein relaxes
   the validation rule to enable Flow Specifications to be originated
   within the same autonomous system as the BGP speaker performing the
   validation.  Additionally, this document revises the AS_PATH
   validation rules so Flow Specifications received from an eBGP peer
   can be validated when such peer is a BGP route server.

   This document updates the validation procedure in [RFC8955].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid-15

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid-15

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/