Subject: [Idr] AD Review of draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ext-com-registry-02

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 10:23:15 -0700

Christoph:

Hi!  How are you?

Thank you for this draft, and for the patience!

I just read it.  I have just a couple of comments (see inline).  Feel
free to address them with any other that come in from the IETF LC --
which I'm starting.

Thanks!

Alvaro.

[Line numbers from idnits.]

...
69	1.  Introduction

71	   [RFC7153] reorganizes the IANA registries for the type values and
72	   sub-type values of the BGP Extended Communities attribute.  As a
73	   result the IANA maintained registry entitled "BGP Transitive Extended
74	   Community Types" includes a range of Type Values (0x80-0x8F) with
75	   Experimental Use registration procedure.  Out of this experimental
76	   range the types 0x80, 0x81, 0x82 have been assigned via [RFC8955].
77	   The primary use for those types and sub-type registries is non
78	   experimental.

[minor] s/with Experimental Use registration procedure./reserved for
Experimental Use.

[major] s/assigned via [RFC8955]./used in [RFC5575] and [RFC7674]
(both documents rendered Obsolete by [RFC8955]).

[major] Please add Informative references to rfc5575 and rfc7674.

80	   Section 2 of this document requests the registry cleanup to reflect
81	   the actual use of those code-points (removing "Experimental Use" from
82	   the sub-type registry names) and changes the registration procedure
83	   of the types 0x80, 0x81, 0x82 to first come first serve.

[minor] s/first come first serve./use the First Come First Served
policy [RFC8126].

85	2.  IANA Considerations
86	2.1.  Registry: BGP Transitive Extended Community Types
...
114	   Furthermore IANA is requested to change the registration procedures
115	   of this registry of Type Values 0x80 thru 0x82 to First Come First
116	   Serve.  The resulting Registration Procedures should read as in
117	   Table 2.

[minor] s/First Come First Serve./First Come First Served [RFC8126].

119	       +===========+===============================================+
120	       | Range     | Registration Procedures                       |
121	       +===========+===============================================+
122	       | 0x00-0x3f | First Come First Served                       |
123	       +-----------+-----------------------------------------------+
124	       | 0x80-0x82 | First Come First Served (see [this document]) |
125	       +-----------+-----------------------------------------------+
126	       | 0x83-0x8f | Reserved for Experimental Use (see [RFC3692]) |
127	       +-----------+-----------------------------------------------+
128	       | 0x90-0xbf | Standards Action                              |
129	       +-----------+-----------------------------------------------+

131	         Table 2: Registration Procedures: BGP Transitive Extended
132	                              Community Types

[minor] We need an Informative reference to rfc3692.

...
166	4.  Acknowledgements

168	   The author wants to thank Alvaro Retana, who pointed out, that the
169	   IANA registry contains misleading entries in this context.

[nit] s/who pointed out,/who pointed out

[EoR -02]

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 10:27:18 -0700

Hi!

Sorry for the extra message…I forgot one more nit. :-(

The Abstract does mention that this document Updates rfc7153, but the
Introduction doesn’t.  Please add a sentence — the end of the second
paragraph looks appropriate to me.

Thanks!

Alvaro.

On October 12, 2021 at 1:23:15 PM, Alvaro Retana ([email-masked])
wrote:

Christoph:

Hi!  How are you?

I just read it.  I have just a couple of comments (see inline).  Feel free
to address them with any other that come in from the IETF LC -- which I'm
starting.

Thanks!

Alvaro.

...
69 1.  Introduction

[major] s/assigned via [RFC8955]./used in [RFC5575] and [RFC7674] (both
documents rendered Obsolete by [RFC8955]).

[minor] s/first come first serve./use the First Come First Served policy
[RFC8126].

...
166 4.  Acknowledgements

[EoR -02]

---

From: Christoph Loibl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 12:40:19 +0200

Hi Alvaro,

Thank you for reviewing the document. I just uploaded a -03 that solves all the issues that you pointed out in your review.

Cheers Christoph

-- 
Christoph Loibl
[email-masked] | CL8-RIPE | PGP-Key-ID: 0x4B2C0055 | http://www.nextlayer.at

> On 12.10.2021, at 19:23, Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Christoph:
> 
> Hi!  How are you?
>