Subject: [Idr] rpki dispersion rate (was Re: draft-ymbk-sidrops-rov-no-rr)

From: heasley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 06:31:15 +0000

Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 11:23:59AM -0800, Randy Bush:
> the pressure on rpki data has been toward being more responsive, not
> less

Why?  I do not understand the need for rpki data to be dispersed more
quickly.  Creation, revocation, or renewal, which is it?

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 08:22:35 -0800

> quickly.  Creation, revocation, or renewal, which is it?

[ more than you wanted to know ]

it started way back pre maastricht, with danny mcpherson objecting to
the potential delay because his ddos mitigation customers only called
once they were being ddosed, he had a very fast contract path, but roa
propagation would seriously delay his scrubber AS from siphoning off the
bad traffic.  point taken, but discussion was less constructive than it
could have been.

i suspect one thing underlying the desire today is that dns managed to
solve what used to be multi-day propagation with NOTIFY (which we stole
for the RPKI-Rtr protocol), yielding very fast results.

we want fast bgp convergence, fast failover, fast cars, fast food
(yucchh), ...

as it stands, rpki propagation is 'interesting' enough that researchers
are getting papers out of it.  draft-ietf-sidrops-rpki-rov-timing was an
attempt to at least make it more predictable; though it provided no
accelerant.  the draft was shot down because there were no data to show
the relative resource and convergence consequences of current chaotic
practice.  point taken; back to measurement.

but, to your question.  my personal take is that creation presents the
most need for propagation as folk want AS 42 to be able to announce P
last week.  as the rpki is not yet being used for attacks, revocation
(deter X from originating my P) is probably not perceived as an
immediate issue.  renewal is properly handled by conservative issuance.
but, as the rpki is a pretty rigid structure (don't get me started), as
far as propagation is concerned, those three birds will tend to get
stoned simulataneously.

randy