Subject: [Idr] Topic: Global ID for MT-ID values - VTN-ID

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 11:33:11 -0500

During the adoption of draft-xie-idr-bgpls-sr-vtn-mt-03.txt, the IDR chairs
asked the following question: 

2) Should IDR recommend the global ID that for MT-ID? 

As part of the discussion, the discussion indicated that the following two
drafts have a solution for this work in BGP-LS: 

draft-chen-idr-bgp-ls-transport-slice-03.txt    

draft-dong-idr-bgpls-sr-enhanced-vpn-03.txt

the following text is taken from these two drafts: 

draft-chen-idr-bgp-ls-transport-slide-03.txt defines an NRPID.

   NRPID: Network Resource Partition identifier.

  [I-D.bestbar-spring-scalable-ns] describes an approach to extend SR
   to advertiser new SID types called Network Resource Partition
   identifier(NRPID) SIDs.  

draft-dong-idr-bgpls-sr-enhanced-vpn-03.txt defines an VTN-ID. 

   [I-D.ietf-spring-resource-aware-segments] introduces resource-
   awareness to Segment Routing (SR) [RFC8402
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8402> ] by associating existing
   type of SIDs with network resource attributes (e.g.  bandwidth,
   processing or storage resources). 

   VTN ID: A global significant 32-bit identifier which is used to
   identify a virtual transport network.

This mail thread is to discuss the requirement for global-IDs, and a
comparison/contrast of these two solutions.  

Cheers, Sue