Subject: [Idr] Protocol Action: 'Route Leak Prevention and Detection using Roles in UPDATE and OPEN Messages' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-bgp-open-policy-23.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 06:28:36 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Route Leak Prevention and Detection using Roles in UPDATE and OPEN
   Messages'
  (draft-ietf-idr-bgp-open-policy-23.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, John Scudder and Martin Vigoureux.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-open-policy/

Technical Summary

   This document enhances the BGP OPEN message to establish an agreement
   of the (peer, customer, provider, Route Server, Route Server client)
   relationship of two neighboring eBGP speakers to enforce appropriate
   configuration on both sides.  Propagated routes are then marked with
   an Only to Customer (OTC) attribute according to the agreed
   relationship, allowing both prevention and detection of route leaks.

Working Group Summary

   The WG group consensus for this draft goes across two WGs (GROW and IDR) 
   with both working group lending their support to define the problem 
   and design a series of fixes that can be deployed in operational networks. 
   While the discussions have been lengthy, there is solid support between
   operators, researchers, and the members of 2 WGs (GROW and IDR). 

Document Quality

  Existing implementations: 
  https://trac.ietf.org/trac/idr/wiki/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-open-policy

Personnel

  Document Shepherd:  Susan Hares 
  AD: Alvaro Retana