Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-wang-idr-vpn-prefix-orf-00.txt- Adoption call (2/4/2022 to 2/18/2022)

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 07:22:58 -0500

Robert,

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 03:31:21PM +0100, Robert Raszuk wrote:
> > We are talking the solution from the POV of the offended PE, but you are
> > proposing the solution from the POV of offending PE.
> 
> Yes exactly. And my objective is to help you to solve the overall problem
> you are trying to solve in the easiest and  operationally manageable way.
> My objective is not to be stuck on one approach and only react on overflow.
> My objective is to stop overflow before it even effects any PE.

While I agree with this sentiment, this is not the specific scope of their
proposal.

Even in circumstances for a single administrative entity, accidents can
happen.

I suggest that your comments are best addressed to the targeted scenario
rather than trying to move the goal posts.

In the original proposal where there was some desire to propagate the
mitigation to the source of the problem, this was more of a concern.
They've left that idea behind in recent drafts.

-- Jeff

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 13:32:16 +0100

Hi Jeff,

> They've left that idea behind in recent drafts.

I actually don't think so.

The latest draft says:

   The operation of VPN Prefix ORF mechanism on each device is
   independent, each of them makes a local judgement to determine
   whether it needs to send VPN Prefix ORF to its peers.

So to me that also means that RR can operate independently and could
collect dynamically incoming ORF entries and push it upstream.

If we find in a new version of the draft an explicit statement that VPN
prefix ORF must not be propagate from RRs or ASBRs any further then I will
see that they really left out that idea.

Many thx,
R.

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 07:43:03 -0500

Robert,

I believe you're making my point for me:

> see that they really left out that idea.

Prior text had explicit procedure to do the propagation.  Current text does
not.  ORFs are freed to be implemented by each device independently.  Or, as
you fear, centrally or perhaps even triggered and propagated.  But it's not
part of mandatory procedures.

-- Jeff