Subject: Re: [Idr] [bess] draft-hb-idr-sr-p2mp-policy (3/10 to 3/24/2022) - Adoption call

From: Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:32:24 +0000

Robert:

This draft's adoption call was made in BESS, PIM, and IDR.

The use of tunnels from RFC9012 and embedded NLRI for SR-Routing
places this drafts and draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller
in expertise held in these 3 working groups.

I will be sending my adoption report to all 3 WG chairs and
All 3 WGs.

Sue

=====

Hi,

It also needs to be observed that
draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller has a broader scope and also
covers mLDP functionality what may be extremely useful for networks which
are not green field and would like to transition from current to new
multicast trees.

Having solution in IDR which covers multicast tree setup partially and at
the same time a more complete one which has been already adopted and is
progressing as a WG document is never a good thing.

Besides I am puzzled since when IDR is accepting protocol extensions which
are used to setup multicast distribution trees ?

When the first version of the draft was written (Sep 2017) we went to BESS
with draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller since that WG is center of
gravity for all VPN/multi-tenant multicast related work.

Kind regards,
Robert