Subject: ANNOUNCE: RR/IDXP 0.2 Released

From: Daniel Lundin <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Aug 2002 15:06:01 +0200

-- RR/IDXP 0.2 (Chinese Snakehead Fish) ---------------------------------------

20 Aug, 2002

CodeFactory is proud to announce the first release of the second generation
IDXP library, RR/IDXP, built upon the RoadRunner BEEP framework.

Introduction
--------------

RR/IDXP is a BEEP profile for the RoadRunner framework implementing the IDXP
protocol. Apart from implementing the protocol, the RR/IDXP library also
aims to provide a simple-to-use framework for writing IDXP applications. 

This is the first public release, and quite an early one. There are surely
bugs and misfeatures that need fixing, but it is quite stable already.

Feedback and contributions are very welcome and encouraged to help make the
§library as useful to the world as possible.

Distribution
--------------
RR/IDXP is available for download at the RoadRunner website:

 http://rr.codefactory.se/download.php

System Requirements
---------------------
RR/IDXP and RoadRunner have been succesfully compiled and tested on the
following platforms:

 * GNU/Linux
 * NetBSD
 * OpenBSD
 * FreeBSD
 * Solaris
 * MS Windows
 * AIX

As RoadRunner is written in portable C code, it should work without
modification on any platform supported by GLib 2 (GNU Utility library).

The code also requires the following libraries:

 * Glib 2.0.1 or higher    (http://www.gtk.org/)
 * libxml 2.4.16 or higher (http://www.libxml.org/)

SASL and TLS profile also require the following libraries:

 * OpenSSL        (Used by RR/TLS.  http://www.openssl.org/)
 * Cyrus libsasl2 (Used by RR/SASL. http://asg.web.cmu.edu/sasl/)

About IDXP
------------
IDXP (Intrusion Detection Exchange Protocol), an application-level protocol
for exchanging data between intrusion detection entities defined in the IETF
(Internet Engineering Task Force) working group for intrusion detection. IDXP
primarily uses the IDMEF message format for data exchange.

 ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idwg-beep-idxp-05.txt

What is BEEP
--------------
BEEP (the Block Extensible Exchange Protocol, rfc3080,3081) is a protocol 
framework for connection oriented asynchronous message exchange. All message 
exchange occur in the context of a channel. A profile defines the syntax 
and semantics of the message exchange. 

Licensing and Support
-----------------------
RR/IDXP and RoadRunner are distributed under an open source license similar to
that of Berkeley DB,  permitting unrestricted use of the software at no charge
for development of open source applications. This requires the complete source
code for your application being available and freely distributable. 

The terms and details of the license are available at:
http://rr.codefactory.se/license.php

If you do not wish to freely distribute the source code for your application,
or desire commercial support, please visit the CodeFactory website for contact
information, http://www.codefactory.se/ or email [email-masked].

Mailing Lists
---------------
There are currently two public mailing lists supporting RR/IDXP, one
for general discussion concerning the BEEP framework and one for the IDXP
software itself (also for discussions regarding our previously
released libidxp software).

More information and subscription is available at: 

 http://rr.codefactory.se/mailinglist.php

and

 http://idxp.codefactory.se/mailinglist.shtml

More information about BEEP and RoadRunner
--------------------------------------------
Documentation, source code, sample code, bug repository and more can be found
at the RoadRunner project site: 

 http://rr.codefactory.se/

About CodeFactory
-------------------
CodeFactory specializes in Open Source software development and consulting
services on UNIX-like operating systems. CodeFactory harbors extensive
knowledge and experience in Linux and BSD development.

 http://www.codefactory.se/

 CodeFactory AB         
 Umestan Bld 2         
 903 47 Umeå            
 Sweden                 

 Phone: +46-90 718 610
   Fax: +46-90 718 611

-- 
Daniel Lundin  | [email-masked]
CodeFactory AB | http://www.codefactory.se/