Subject: [IDMEF] IESG Comment section 3.2

From: Herve Debar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:27:16 +0100

Section 3.2:
 >
 > Data typing should make reference to XML schema datatypes [2].  Even
 > among those who promote alternatives to XML schema, most folks use the
 > XML schema datatypes as defined.
 >
 > [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/

This means quite a lot of work, and the section is probably only 
pertinent if we keep the DTD. I'd like a resolution of the schema vs 
DTD before tackling this one.

 > Also, the number notations are muddling encoding issues with
 > presentation issues (cf. use of '.' and ',' in numbers).

I'm not sure that this is really the case, because there are 
differences in number input, at least between the EU and the US, that 
were supposed to be addressed by this specification.

Hervé
-- 
Hervé Debar             <mailto:[email-masked]>
Tel: +33 (0)2 31 75 92 61            GSM: +33 (0)6 74 09 09 66
France Télécom R&D                   Fax: +33 (0)2 31 75 93 13
42 rue des Coutures  (--)  BP 6243  (--)  F-14066 Caen Cedex 4

---

From: "David A. Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:42:38 -0500

>>>>> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004,
>>>>> Herve Debar, identified as "Herve" below, wrote:

  Herve> Section 3.2:

  +> Data typing should make reference to XML schema datatypes [2].  Even
  +> among those who promote alternatives to XML schema, most folks use the
  +> XML schema datatypes as defined.
  +> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/

  Herve> This means quite a lot of work, and the section is probably only
  Herve> pertinent if we keep the DTD. I'd like a resolution of the schema vs
  Herve> DTD before tackling this one.

I believe the decision has already been made to go to schemas.  A "draft"
schema for IDMEF was produced back in May; the major piece of work is to
updated the draft text to talk about the schema instead of the DTD.

But I agree with you, this is only an issue if we keep the DTD approach.

  +> Also, the number notations are muddling encoding issues with
  +> presentation issues (cf. use of '.' and ',' in numbers).

  Herve> I'm not sure that this is really the case, because there are
  Herve> differences in number input, at least between the EU and the US, that
  Herve> were supposed to be addressed by this specification.

I agree -- we're trying to solve the EU/US input problem, not pretty-print.

--Dave