Subject: [IDMEF][Issue 1] Duplicate name in classifications

From: Herve Debar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:50:53 +0100

NAME: Snort reuses the same name for all references. e.g:

<Classification origin="cve">
<name>SNMP public access udp</name>
<url>http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2002-0013</url>
</Classification>
<Classification origin="cve">
<name>SNMP public access udp</name>
<url>http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2002-0012</url>
</Classification>
<Classification origin="cve">
<name>SNMP public access udp</name>
<url>http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-1999-0517</url>
</Classification>
<Classification origin="vendor-specific">
<name>SNMP public access udp</name>
<url>http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?sid=1411</url>
</Classification>

I tend to think we should discourage that, at least for the 2 first 
lines, because the origin+name should be a primary key for the 
classification information.

*I propose to replace:*

    The aggregate classes that make up Classification are:

    name

       Exactly one.  STRING.  The name of the alert, from one of the
       origins listed below.

    url

       Exactly one.  STRING.  A URL at which the manager (or the human
       operator of the manager) can find additional information about the
       alert.  The document pointed to by the URL may include an in-depth
       description of the attack, appropriate countermeasures, or other
       information deemed relevant by the vendor.

*by*

    The aggregate classes that make up Classification are:

    name

+      Exactly one.  STRING.  The name of the alert, from one of the
+      origins listed below. In a given message, each name MUST be
+      unique.

    url

       Exactly one.  STRING.  A URL at which the manager (or the human
       operator of the manager) can find additional information about the
       alert.  The document pointed to by the URL may include an in-depth
       description of the attack, appropriate countermeasures, or other
       information deemed relevant by the vendor.

*Please only voice objections.*

Hervé
-- 
Hervé Debar             <mailto:[email-masked]>
Tel: +33 (0)2 31 75 92 61            GSM: +33 (0)6 74 09 09 66
France Télécom R&D                   Fax: +33 (0)2 31 75 93 13
42 rue des Coutures  (--)  BP 6243  (--)  F-14066 Caen Cedex 4