Subject: [IDMEF] [Issue 4] additionaldata and encoding

From: Herve Debar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:39:44 +0100

Herve> The current tag for introducing additionaldata is the
Herve> following:
Herve> <additionaldata type=[fixed list] meaning=[free text]>
Herve> I would also add an encoding=[free-text] tag, describing
Herve> the actual encoding of the information. I would also
Herve> propose a BCP list of values, including "hex",
Herve> "base64", "UTF-8", "unicode".

DaveC> The only concern I have with this is that it MIGHT
DaveC> conflict with the encoding stuff associated with the
DaveC> whole IDMEF format (in which you specify an encoding
DaveC> in the XML statement).  I am not up enough on encodings
DaveC> to know whether that is the case or not.

Zaraska> Agreed. This is absolutely necessary.
[NOTE: I have splitted the issue in 2, and have included K Zaraska's 
comment in both, as I believe it adresses the two final issues. My 
mistake if it does not.]

In fact, the IESG comments show that there is a problem there already, 
with the BYTE type. Does someone on the list have an authorized view 
on encodings ?

Hervé
-- 
Hervé Debar             <mailto:[email-masked]>
Tel: +33 (0)2 31 75 92 61            GSM: +33 (0)6 74 09 09 66
France Télécom R&D                   Fax: +33 (0)2 31 75 93 13
42 rue des Coutures  (--)  BP 6243  (--)  F-14066 Caen Cedex 4