Subject: [IDMEF] IESG Comment section 3.1.3

From: Herve Debar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:11:50 +0100

Section 3.1.3:
 >
 > I'm not sure that this is a good thing to say:
 > [[
 >    If no language is specified for an IDMEF message, English SHALL be
 >    assumed.
 > ]]
 >
 > (RFC1766 --and 3066?-- has some words about i-default)

I haven't found i-default in any of these drafts. i-<something> seems 
to be for IANA-registered languages.

Suggestions:

1) refer to RFC 3066 for handling of the language tag (this should 
probably already there because xml:lang is defined somewhere).

2) Change "IDMEF-compliant applications SHOULD" to "IDMEF-compliant 
applications MUST" and drop the 2 other paragraphs in the section.

3) Keep "SHOULD", but change "English" in the next paragraph to en or 
en-US to be compliant with the ISO naming.

Hervé
-- 
Hervé Debar             <mailto:[email-masked]>
Tel: +33 (0)2 31 75 92 61            GSM: +33 (0)6 74 09 09 66
France Télécom R&D                   Fax: +33 (0)2 31 75 93 13
42 rue des Coutures  (--)  BP 6243  (--)  F-14066 Caen Cedex 4

---

From: "David A. Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:40:00 -0500

>>>>> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Herve Debar, identified as "Herve" below, wrote:

  Herve> Section 3.1.3:

  +> I'm not sure that this is a good thing to say: [[ If no language is
  +> specified for an IDMEF message, English SHALL be assumed. ]]
  +> (RFC1766 --and 3066?-- has some words about i-default)

  Herve> I haven't found i-default in any of these drafts. i-<something> seems
  Herve> to be for IANA-registered languages.
  Herve> Suggestions:
  Herve> 1) refer to RFC 3066 for handling of the language tag (this should
  Herve> probably already there because xml:lang is defined somewhere).
  Herve> 2) Change "IDMEF-compliant applications SHOULD" to "IDMEF-compliant
  Herve> applications MUST" and drop the 2 other paragraphs in the section.
  Herve> 3) Keep "SHOULD", but change "English" in the next paragraph to en or
  Herve> en-US to be compliant with the ISO naming.

The above questioned text occurs in a section titled "Languages in IDMEF" on
line 555 of the XML draft.  There's another section of the same title (with
different content) in Appendix A, down at line 6342, and this is where RFC
3066 is cited.

Given that we already talk about RFC 3066, I would be included to choose your
option (2) above.

--Dave
There is also a section with tgh

---

From: Herve Debar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:19:29 +0100

> Given that we already talk about RFC 3066, I would be included to choose your

Done in current draft.

*Comment resolved*

Hervé