Subject: [ieee-ietf-coord] FW: [new-work] WG Review: Active Queue Management and Packet Scheduling (aqm)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 13:27:54 +0000

This was also forwarded to [new-work].

Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 6:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [new-work] WG Review: Active Queue Management and Packet Scheduling (aqm)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Transport Area. The IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2013-09-23.

Active Queue Management and Packet Scheduling (aqm)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Assigned Area Director:
  Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aqm
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/aqm/current/maillist.html

Charter:

  Internet routers, lower-layer switches, end-host operating
  systems, device drivers, and many types of additional
  middleboxes include memory buffers in which they implement
  queues to hold packets that require processing or otherwise
  need to wait for forwarding to the next hop.

  The queues are intended to absorb bursts of traffic that may
  naturally occur, and avoid unneccessary losses.  However, queues
  also cause latency and jitter in the eventual arrival times of
  packets.  This can create issues and complications for interactive
  applications.

  Extremely large unmanaged buffers have been noticed in some
  software and equipment.  When these buffers fill, interactive
  applications and other traffic can be severely impacted or
  completely broken, due to high and potentially oscillating delays.
  
  The Active Queue Management and Packet Scheduling working group
  (AQM) works on algorithms for managing queues in order to:

  (1) minimize standing queues, helping to reduce delay for
  interactive applications

  (2) help flow sources control their sending rates without
  unnecessary losses, e.g. through ECN

  (3) consider the merits of various techniques to protect flows
  from negative impacts of other more aggressive or misbehaving
  flows

  (4) help avoid global synchronization of flows sharing a
  bottleneck

  The AQM working group will produce documents that cover the
  design, use, configuration, and monitoring of algorithms for
  managing queues in Internet devices and software. The scope
  includes both how to best configure existing equipment and
  software, as well as recommendations on designing new equipment
  and software.

  The AQM working group will also publish algorithm specifications
  that are found to be broadly applicable and beneficial.  Evaluating
  these algorithms shall be done in coordination with the Internet
  Congestion Control Research Ground (ICCRG), and related IETF Working
  Groups, such as the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques Working
  Group (RMCAT), in order to select and assess the relevant criteria,
  scenarios, and metrics.

  The working group will also explore the merits of whether to
  isolate flows, and mechanisms for performing this function.  Note
  that isolation and potentially policing of flows implies some policy
  beyond what is required to simply minimize queues.  This topic
  requires significant attention in the working group.

  AQM algorithms do not have to be implemented universally in order
  to be effective.  Specifications will aid in producing proper
  implementations that avoid potential ambiguities and corner cases.
  "Interoperability" of algorithms and implementations of them is
  not the reason for creating these specifications; correctness is
  the primary motivation.
  
  The working group will not make changes to existing IETF protocols,
  but the working group may use ECN, Diffserv, and other mechanisms
  maintained by the TSVWG working group. Since the implementation of
  these mechanisms is likely to be entwined with AQM algorithms, there
  is expected to be close coordination between the TSVWG and AQM groups. 

  Many AQM algorithms have been proposed in academic literature, but
  a smaller number are widely implemented and deployed.  The goal of the
  working group is to produce recommendations that will actually be used,
  and algorithms that will actually be implemented, deployed in equipment,
  and enabled.  Towards these ends, the group actively encourages
  participation from operators and implementers. Furthermore, the group
  will jointly work with the Routing and Internet Area in order to
  involve vendors of networking equipment in the development of the
  AQM mechanisms. 

  Wider research and evaluation of AQM mechanisms shall be
  coordinated with the IRTF/ICCRG, and significant participation in this
  WG from the academic and research community is highly desirable, when
  it is directly relevant to implementation and deployment.
  
  Combined Queue Management / Packet Scheduling algorithms are in-scope,
  provided their benefit have been evaluated against the established
  requirements for an AQM algorithm. It is expected that some classes of
  algorithms will focus on software implementations, while others on
  existing or new hardware deployments, and algorithms may be specific
  to distinct scenarios.

Milestones:
  Jan 2014 - Submit AQM recommendations to IESG for publication, obsoleting RFC 2309
  Jul 2014 - Submit AQM algorithm evaluation guidelines to IESG for publication as Informational
  Dec 2014 - Submit first algorithm specification to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work