Subject: [ieee-ietf-coord] Updates on Adrian's monitored activities and a possible new one

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:43:49 +0100

2. IETF BFD and IEEE 802.1AX

Work on draft-ietf-bfd-on-lags (which is currently at revision -01) is
progressing quietly in the background. There has been some very successful
interop testing based on prototypes, and product development is well-progressed
at a number of vendors.

There is currently a small amount of discussion about dynamic address discovery
and whether to include it in the work or not.

IANA has registered a MAC address (01-00-5E-90-00-01) and a UDP port number
(6784) for this work.

Otherwise, the document seems stable and ready for working group last call.

3. IETF NVO3 and IEEE 802.1 DCB

The problem statement (draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement)  has been
approved for publication as an RFC and is currently with the RFC Editor.

There are now a small bunch of I-Ds that have been adopted for work by the
working group. Several of these may be of interest to the IEEE since they
discuss the data plane.

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-nvo3-framework-03.txt provides a framework for
the NVO3 solutions
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-nvo3-use-case-02.txt tries to pick out the
most common use cases
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-nvo3-dataplane-requirements-01.txt attempts to
list the requirements on an NVO3 data plane
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-nvo3-gap-analysis-00.txt considers existing
protocols against the requirements. The solutions it currently examines are:
NVGRE, VxLAN, VPLS, EVPN, and L3VPN.

New Item?
IETF TICTOC/MPLS and IEEE-1588

Not sure whether this needs a dedicated item or whether it fits in the Time
Protocols Unification work that Brian Haberman and Michael Johas Teener picked
up.

The TICTOC working group has a draft to consider how to carry IEEE-1588 PTP
messages over MPLS.
Note that the annexes of IEEE-1588 already describe how to carry the messages
over IP/UDP/Ethernet.

There is currently some confused IETF discussion about whether a new
encapsulation is needed (compared with, for example, using an Ethernet-over-MPLS
pseduowire), and whether the PTP messages should be carried in band with other
traffic or on a dedicated LSP.

Cheers,
Adrian

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:49:48 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Adrian Farrel [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 
> New Item?
> Not sure whether this needs a dedicated item or whether it fits in the
> Time Protocols Unification work that Brian Haberman and Michael Johas
> Teener picked up.
> 

[[DR]] I believe it fits there (item #17).

Thanks for the update. 

Dan

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 08:59:26 -0400

>> Time Protocols Unification work that Brian Haberman and Michael Johas

First of all, as I have said in the past, the above work item is on
indefinite hold until the 1588 and 802.1AS folks get synced within the
IEEE.  The kick-off of any DT would be with the establishment of a
liaison between 1588 and the IETF (per Doug Arnold).

> [[DR]] I believe it fits there (item #17).

I don't think it does.  The point Adrian raises is one of 1588 transport
over MPLS.  I don't think it has anything to do with NTP or trying to
synchronize NTP and 1588.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:03:49 +0000

I got it. 

OK - let us deal with it in the new potential items section, but (Adrian) please remind me about it at agenda bashing if I forget.

Regards,

Dan

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:ieee-ietf-coord-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brian Haberman
> Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 3:59 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [ieee-ietf-coord] Updates on Adrian's monitored activities
> and a possible new one
> 
> 
> 
> >> Not sure whether this needs a dedicated item or whether it fits in
> >> the Time Protocols Unification work that Brian Haberman and Michael
> >> Johas Teener picked up.
> >>
>