Subject: Re: [ieee-ietf-coord] possible date for the 2016 face to face meeting between the IEEE 802 and IETF leadership teams

From: Bob Heile <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 04:43:14 -0500

Dan

Saturday 1/16 is good for me.

Bob Heile

At 06:36 PM 9/9/2015 +0000, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
>Content-Language: en-US
>Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
>  boundary="_000_9904FB1B0159DA42B0B887B7FA8119CA5CB20196AZFFEXMB04globa_"
>
>Hi,
>
>Time is getting short for a decision concerning the 2016 face to face 
>meeting between the IETF and IEEE 802 leadership teams. The issue is on 
>the agenda of the 9/29 virtual call, and we need a decision by then or 
>shortly after.
>
>Pat and me are both at the IEEE 802.1 interim meeting and used the 
>opportunity to review again the existing options. Here are the facts:
>
>-          The two leadership teams did not meet f2f in 2015 first time 
>since 2012.
>-          Same as in 2015, there are no plenary meetings of the two 
>organizations scheduled on consecutive weeks on the same continent this 
>makes setting a meeting date around one of the plenary meetings impossible
>
>This means that we need to schedule a dedicated meeting. The best option 
>seems to be to schedule the meeting around the big interimof IEEE 802 
>scheduled to be held in Atlanta, GA between 1/17 and 1/22/2015. This 
>meeting gathers all relevant WGs in the IEEE 802, but without the overhead 
>of a plenary. The suggested date is a full day meeting on Saturday 1/16, 
>before the IEEE meeting starts. This would minimize to some extent the 
>travel load of the IEEE 802 participants, which will stay for the rest of 
>their meeting week. The IETF participants could also attend some of the 
>IEEE 802 meetings if interested.
>
>We need of course a solid agenda to make best use of our time. At this 
>point in time there are at least four areas of intense cooperation and 
>coordination between the two SDOs, which also have architecture and 
>logistic issues worth being discussed in a f2f. Other may be added in time:
>
>-          Homenet and multicast in 802.11
>-          Local address management
>-          YANG design in 802, advice and coordination with the IETF
>-          DetNet
>
>Comments, questions and alternate proposals are welcome.
>
>Thanks and Regards,
>
>Dan
>
>_______________________________________________
>ieee-ietf-coord mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieee-ietf-coord

Bob Heile, Ph.D

Director of Standards, Wi-SUN Alliance
Chair, IEEE 802.15 Working Group on Wireless Specialty Networks
Chair IEEE 2030.5 Working Group for Smart Energy Profile 2
Co-Chair IEEE P2030 Task Force 3 on Smartgrid Communications

11 Robert Toner Blvd, Suite 5-301
North Attleboro, MA  02763   USA
Mobile: +1-781-929-4832
email:   [email-masked]