Subject: [ieee-ietf-coord] Issue 22. CAPWAP extensions in OPSAWG

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:49:32 +0100

Dear all,

Here is an update on this topic:

    22. CAPWAP extensions in OPSAWG

    22.1. Description:
    - Extensions to the CAPWAP protocol are being defined in the IETF
    OPSAWG.
    The OPSAWG will send the documents that relate to IEEE 802.11
    technology
    to the IEEE 802.11 WG for expert review.

    - Status 1/27/14 (Benoit Claise) - there are two relevant drafts in
    Working Group Last Call.  He sent out via email an updated description
    of this item, to be added to the next iteration of the shared work
    items
    list.  Dan Romascanu will edit the shared work items list accordingly.

    - Status 9/23/14 (Dorothy Stanley): Liaison requests have been made
    from
    the opsawg to IEEE 802.11 for review and comment on each of these
    documents. The IEEE 802.11 responded with the liaisons below. There are
    no open liaison requests from opsawg to IEEE 802.11 at this time.

    - Status 1/20/15 (Dan): 2 out of 3 documents were approved by the
    IESG and
    are now in RFC Editor Queue

    - Status 6/15/15 (Dan): one WG document pending (in AD is watching
    state)
    http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel/;
    one individual submission http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-you-
    opsawg-capwap-separation-for-mp/.

    - Status 6/18/15 (Benoit): RFC 7494, IEEE 802.11 Medium Access Control
    (MAC) Profile for Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points
    (CAPWAP), has been published. A second document on the OPSAWG CAPWAP
    tunnel is nearly ready for Working Group Last Call; he will let 802.11
    know when that is done.

    - Status 9/29/15 (Benoit): draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel
    (Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames in CAPWAP) will
    merge with draft-you-opsawg-capwap-separation-for-mp (CAPWAP Control
    and Data Channel Separation for Multi-provider Scenario)

    22.2. Relevant Documents
    - http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-extension/
    - http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac -
    RFC 7494
    -
    http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel/ -
    approved
    - https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1312/
    - https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/14/11-14-0913-01-0000-liaison-
    response-opsawg-capwap-extension.docx
    - https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/14/11-14-0684-01-0000-capwap-
    hybridmac-liaison-response.docx
    - Tunnel encapsulation response: slide 5 in https://mentor.ieee.org/
    802.11/dcn/14/11-14-0500-00-0000-may-2014-liaison-to-ietf-report.pptx
    - http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-you-opsawg-capwap-separation-
    for-mp/
    - http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7494.txt

    22.3. Owners: Benoit Claise and Dorothy Stanley

    22.4. Action Items
    - Benoit to fill in the DESCRIPTION DONE
    - Benoit to ensure that OPSAWG chairs send documents at Last Call to
    IEEE 802.11
    - Dorothy Stanley to channel requests for reviews and responses between
    the OPSAWG and IEEE 802.11

Here is the update, received from the OPSAWG chairs:

    The last update you gave them was:

    Status 9/29/15 (Benoit): draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel (Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames in CAPWAP) will merge with draft-you-opsawg-capwap-separation-for-mp (CAPWAP Control and Data Channel Separation for Multi-provider Scenario)

    The document was returned to the WG, and they authors posted a new
    version with much of the Multi-provider stuff in
    (https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel-05&url2=draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel-06)
    <https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel-05&url2=draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel-06%29_>
    - October 19, 2015
    Since that though, there has been no real discussion or progress....

Regards, Benoit