Subject: [ieee-ietf-coord] Issue 19: Common OAM proposal / Layer Independent OAM

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:33:42 +0100

Dear all,

Here is an update on this topic:

    19. Common OAM proposal / Layer Independent OAM
    19.1. Description - proposal made by Tissa Senevirathne and a group
    of TRILL contributors at the IEEE 802.1 meetings in July and
    September to
    reuse the IEEE 802.1ag frame format for TRILL OAM. Needs coordination
    and architectural consistency with the IEEE 802.1 architecture and OAM
    practice.

    - 8/20/13: The TRILL WG re-chartered, new charter includes OAM.
    Rechartering was communicated on the mail list.

    - 9/25/13: Liaison Statement sent by the TRILL chairs to the IEEE 802
    informing on the status of the work.

    - 12/9/13: draft-ietf-trill-oam-framework approved by the IESG

    - 1/22/14: new liaison statement sent by TRILL to IEEE 802.1

    - Status 1/27/14 (Norman Finn, Donald): liaison from TRILL asking for
    code points from the Connectivity Fault Management protocol, Ethernet
    OAM, as was done with ITU a few years back. It allocates the blocks of
    code points to the IETF with the understanding that they will be
    assigned by IANA based on IETF Standards Actions and TRILL will be an
    early user of some values. Expected to pass.

    - Status 9/15/14 (Dan Romascanu): New Non-WG Mailing List: Lime --
    Layer
    Independent OAM Management in Multi-Layer Environment (LIME) discussion
    list -  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lime. Working on a
    charter, may request a BOF at IETF-91

    - Status 1/20/15 (Dan): while most of the TRILL OAM work progresses,
    the
    LIME WG was formed and its charter explicitly calls for coordination
    with other SDOs including the IEEE

    - Status 6/15/15 (Dan): TRILL - MIB work waiting for expert review,
    YANG
    document in WG; LIME - no WG I-Ds yet

    - August 2015: call for adoption of draft-tissa-lime-yang-oam-model-06
    as LIME WG document in LIME, announcement sent to the ieee-ietf
    list, now
    http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lime-yang-oam-model/

    - Individual submission to follow:
    http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhuang-lime-yang-oam-model-applicability/
    (applicability document)

    - draft-ietf-trill-oam-mib-11.txt approved by the IESG

    19.2. Relevant Documents

    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-oam-req -
    published as
    RFC 6905

    http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2012/liaison-tissa-oam-ieee-
    trill-0912-v02.pptx

    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-oam-framework/ -
    published as RFC 7174

    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tissa-trill-oam-fm/ published as
    RFC 7455

    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/trill/charter/

    http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2014/new-senevirathne-trill-oam-
    liaison-0114-v01.pptx

    http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-yang-oam/

    http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-oam-mib/

    https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1302/

    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lime/charter/

    http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lime-yang-oam-model/

    http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhuang-lime-yang-oam-model-applicability/

    19.3. Owners - Alia Atlas, Benoit Claise, Norm Finn

    19.4. Action Items
    Follow the TRILL OAM documents progress in the WG and send them for
    review to IEEE 802.1 when they reach milestones (WGLC, IETF LC)

    This work item will remain open to monitor the status, as well as other
    more OAM-related I-Ds in the TRILL Working Group that should be
    reviewed
    by IEEE 802.1.

    TRILL and LIME documents to be communicated for review when relevant to
    the IEEE 802 (at LC)

_The update, received from the LIME chairs:_
1. Draft-zhuang-lime-yang-oam-model-applicability is under development
2. Draft-ietf-lime-yang-oam-model is on hold waiting for 
draft-zhuang-lime-yang-oam-model-applicability
3. As it was difficult to find commonalities, 
draft-ietf-lime-yang-oam-model is being split into connectionless and 
connection-oriented parts

Regarding TRILL, the update should come from Alia.

Regards, Benoit

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 09:56:11 -0500

Hi,

I will probably not be able to make the call due to a conflict but I wanted
to also note RFC 7319 "IANA Considerations for Connectivity Fault
Management (CFM) Code Points" and the IANA registry at
https://www.iana.org/assignments/cfm-oam/cfm-oam.xhtml

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Benoit Claise <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 19.1. Description - proposal made by Tissa Senevirathne and a group of
> TRILL contributors at the IEEE 802.1 meetings in July and September to
> - Status 9/15/14 (Dan Romascanu): New Non-WG Mailing List: Lime -- Layer
> - Status 1/20/15 (Dan): while most of the TRILL OAM work progresses, the
> - Status 6/15/15 (Dan): TRILL - MIB work waiting for expert review, YANG
> as LIME WG document in LIME, announcement sent to the ieee-ietf list, now
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-oam-req - published as
> RFC 6905
>
> more OAM-related I-Ds in the TRILL Working Group that should be reviewed
> by IEEE 802.1.
>
> *The update, received from the LIME chairs:*
> _______________________________________________
> ieee-ietf-coord mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieee-ietf-coord
>
>