Subject: [ieee-ietf-coord] Recording & Rough Notes from 2016-06-08 Meeting

From: Cindy Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 12:17:25 -0700

All,

Below please find a link to the recording of today's meeting:

IETF-IEEE 802 Coordination-20160608 1706-1
Wednesday, June 8, 2016
Play recording (1 hr 44 min):
https://ietf.webex.com/ietf/ldr.php?RCID=a9a393732f5ca07ee94860baa9b84134

Also, attached please find my rough notes from today for your internal use.  Draft minutes will follow later.

Best regards,
Cindy

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 20:37:00 +0000

Thank you for the notes and for all the help, Cindy!

Regards,

Dan

________________________________
From: ieee-ietf-coord [[email-masked]] on behalf of Cindy Morgan [[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 10:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ieee-ietf-coord] Recording & Rough Notes from 2016-06-08 Meeting

All,

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 08:44:22 +0200 (CEST)

> Below please find a link to the recording of today's meeting:

Hi,

just a side note regarding Multicast over Wifi. The Babel design guys were 
one of the vocal opponents to using multicast over wifi. Babel was 
designed to use as little multicast as possible (it only uses it for 
discovery of adjacent nodes).

Babel also has an internal mechanism to try to discover what "quality" the 
connectivity to a neighbor is of, and does this by purely sending packets. 
It would be of interest to the IETF to have IEEE support some kind of 
standards based mechanism to actually ask the radios what the quality 
seems to be. Or is there already one?

I was involved in an attempt to do this for ISIS, where we used the SNR 
value to set routing protocol metric. This worked so-so, but was at least 
better at finding out "connectivity is really going bad now" compared to 
the packet sending approach of Babel.

It has been pointed out that 802.11 can be implemented in L2 device only, 
where the routing protocol process (on an adjacent router) doesn't have 
any (current) way of speaking to the radio to query quality parameters. 
This should be taken into account when designing the quality/performance 
reporting mechanism.

Is there any such mechanism today? If there isn't, is IEEE interested in 
working on that?

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]