Subject: [ieee-ietf-coord] Fwd: RE: Regarding IEEE/IETF coordination draft draft-wilton-netmod-intf-vlan-yang

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 12:57:50 +0200

FYI.
Great discussion with John Messenger, Dan Romascanu, and Rob Wilton 
during the IETF week on how to progress 
draft-wilton-netmod-intf-vlan-yang (considering the IEEE and IETF 
interests), and a nice resolution.

Regards, Benoit

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	RE: Regarding IEEE/IETF coordination draft 
draft-wilton-netmod-intf-vlan-yang
Date: 	Thu, 18 Aug 2016 19:51:14 +0000
From: 	Glenn Parsons <[email-masked]>
To: 	Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) 
<[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
CC: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>, Robert Wilton -X 
(rwilton - Ensoft Ltd at Cisco) <[email-masked]>, Pat Thaler 
<[email-masked]>, Eric Gray <[email-masked]>, John 
Messenger <[email-masked]>, Paul Nikolich 
<[email-masked]> ([email-masked]) <[email-masked]>

Subject: Regarding IEEE/IETF coordination draft 
draft-Wilton-netmod-intf-vlan-yang

To: Benoit Claise, Dan Romascanu

Date: July 28, 2016

Dear Benoit, Dan,

Thank you for your email (attached below) regarding IEEE/IETF

coordination draft draft-Wilton-netmod-intf-vlan-yang

In its July 2016 plenary meeting, IEEE 802.1  held detailed discussions

of YANG models for 802.1Q and 802.1X, the related interfaces, interface

stacks, and the service(s) offered to higher layer entities both in end

stations and attached to bridge ports. IEEE 802.1 will continue this

work in its September 2016 interim.

IEEE 802.1 agrees that progression of draft-Wilton-netmod-intf-vlan-yang

as an Informational RFC would be appropriate to meet immediate needs,

and values the details included in the document to ensure that the draft

does not deviate from 802.1 standards. IEEE 802.1 will continue its work

on standard YANG model, appreciates the contribution that other work can

make towards that standards goal, and would welcome participation by

IETF experts in its face-to-face discussions and teleconferences.

Regards,

Glenn.

--

Glenn Parsons - Chair, IEEE 802.1

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

+1-613-963-8141

*From:*Benoit Claise [mailto:[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:19 PM
*To:* Romascanu, Dan (Dan); John Messenger; [email-masked]; Glenn Parsons
*Cc:* [email-masked]; Robert Wilton -X (rwilton - Ensoft Ltd at 
Cisco); Pat Thaler; Eric Gray
*Subject:* Regarding IEEE/IETF coordination draft 
draft-wilton-netmod-intf-vlan-yang

Dear 802.1 WG,

In the IETF, we're considering how to 
progressdraft-wilton-netmod-intf-vlan-yang-03 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wilton-netmod-intf-vlan-yang/> , 
Sub-interface VLAN YANG Data Models, in order to allow IETF forwarding 
services to interact with 802.1Q VLAN tagged frames.
One option considered is to publish this draft as Informational RFC (as 
opposed to Proposed Standard), with the understanding that IEEE 802.1 
could develop an end station interface model that would considered as 
the reference standard.
Is this a viable solution from the viewpoint of 802.1Q?

The latest draft version contains YANG "must" statements to try to 
constrain the model such that only 802.1 compatible frames result.

Regards, Dan Romascanu (IETF Liaison Manager to IEEE-SA, Benoit Claise 
(IETF Operations and Management Area Director)