Subject: [ieee-ietf-coord] Notes from breakfast meeting at IETF

From: Pat Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 17:23:02 -0800

Here are my notes from the breakfast meeting at IETF

*NMDA architecture:*

802.1 and 802.3 projects are using it.

How do we help the other groups in IEEE 802 get started?

Tutorial from 802.1 and 802.3 for 802?

When will the NMDA Datastores architecture draft progress?

               In last call, a couple of issues remaining that they hope to
resolve this week.

Related protocol drafts – plan to send for last call in December

Interfaces (rfc 7223-bis), IP and routing models updated to NMDA are ready
for last call.

Not expecting further churn. Schema mounts are another tool but mainly for
large complex models. Possibly applies to more complex bridge instances
such as Provider Backplane bridges.

Tool – for converting existing modules to NMDA

*Ethertype*

IEEE can do a model that lists the valid Ethertypes and updates as new ones
are assigned.

Concerns about supporting friendly names. Some Ethertypes were registered
as private

IETF wants a list with friendly names for most common ones, not all 3500.

*Catalog*

Benoit demonstrated the catalog

URN – should be IEEE

               Module name should also be IEEE-<rest of name>, need a
hyphen after IEEE.