Subject: [ieee-ietf-coord] Fwd: IETF Sub-interface VLAN YANG Data Models - draft-ietf-netmod-sub-intf-vlan-model-04

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 16:24:41 +0700

FYI.  An informal review request email to 802.1 WG on the NETMOD 
sub-interface VLAN YANG model.

Thanks,
Rob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	IETF Sub-interface VLAN YANG Data Models - 
draft-ietf-netmod-sub-intf-vlan-model-04
Date: 	Mon, 5 Nov 2018 16:16:00 +0700
From: 	Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Dear esteemed 802.1 WG members,

A few years back, at the start of my IETF and IEEE standards journey I 
wrote a draft defining a sub-interface based VLAN termination YANG 
model.  After discussion and presentations in both IETF NETMOD WG and 
IEEE 802.1 WG, there was a general agreement that it would be acceptable 
for IETF to publish this YANG model as an informational RFC, with the 
acknowledgement that 802.1Q VLAN technology is owned by IEEE, and in 
future the IEEE 802.1 WG may choose to publish a VLAN termination model.

As part of that IETF NETMOD WG process, and after IEEE 802.1 WG had 
reviewed the model, I made a small change in structure of the YANG model 
with the sole aim of making the model simpler to use.  In particular, 
the older model required a slightly clunky indexed list of VLAN tags, 
and that is replaced with a simpler structure supporting two explicit 
named VLAN tags ('outer-tag' and 'second-tag').  A while back, Glenn 
requested that I pass these changes by the IEEE 802.1 WG to ensure that 
the changes are acceptable to the IEEE 802.1 WG, hence this email.

The change is perhaps best illustrated via the following change in the 
YANG tree output.

The*older format* of the YANG model (that members of the 802.1Q WG 
previously saw) was like this:

*if-cmn:encaps-type: +--:(vlan) +--rw vlan +--rw tags +--rw tag* [index] 
+--rw index uint8 +--rw dot1q-tag +--rw tag-type dot1q-tag-type +--rw 
vlan-id dot1q-vlan-id*

The *updated format *of YANG model in the current draft is like this:

        +--:(dot1q-vlan)
           +--rw dot1q-vlan
              +--rw outer-tag!
              |  +--rw tag-type    dot1q-tag-type
              |  +--rw vlan-id     ieee:vlanid
              +--rw second-tag!
                 +--rw tag-type    dot1q-tag-type
                 +--rw vlan-id     ieee:vlanid

The same equivalent change has been made for L2 sub-interfaces as well.

The latest internet draft is 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-sub-intf-vlan-model-04

In particular, it may also be useful to look at the instance data 
examples in chapter 7, that give a couple of examples of how the YANG 
model is expected to be used both for L3 termination, and also when used 
in conjunction with the IETF L2VPN YANG model to provision a 
point-to-point L2 service.

I hope to submit this draft to the NETMOD WG chairs for WG last call 
after the current IETF 103 meeting.  So if anyone has any concerns then 
please may I ask that you raise them.  ideally I would like to get them 
informally addressed before this document progresses.  Alternatively if 
you need more time to review this change, or need this as a formal 
liaison then please let me know, and I'll do my best.

Thank you for your time,
Rob Wilton