Subject: [ieee-ietf-coord] Fwd: Upcoming request for EtherType allocation

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 08:13:07 +0700

Dear IEEE 802/IETF Folk,

The IPPM working group has been talking to the RAC privately about an
EtherType request, and I told them I'd let the coordinators know, since
we're meeting on Friday and if anything pops up (like, "oh, we just ran out
of EtherTypes" - I am kidding) everyone would know earlier.

Details follow. Mirja is now the responsible AD for IPPM, and is on this
coordination team, so the right thing will happen..

Spencer

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Brian Weis (bew) <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 5:17 PM
Subject: Upcoming request for EtherType allocation
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Hi Spencer,

As discussed in today’s IPPM WG meeting, we are expecting in the future to
request publication of an Internet-Draft that requires a new EtherType to
to be allocated. You mentioned that this might be an interesting topic for
this week’s IETF/IEEE 802 meeting, and so I’m passing on the following
notes.

We would request an EtherType for it "In-situ OAM (IOAM)” (see
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-weis-ippm-ioam-eth-00). We understand
that there is a process for IANA to request this from the IEEE 802, and
have put this into our IANA Considerations section.  Additionally, we had
an early private exchange with some members of the IEEE 802 RAC (the entity
that performs the allocation), who gave advice to make sure we only ask for
one EtherType of this purpose, and we’ve followed that advice. I don’t
expect any issues with defining the EtherType we need, but if you’d like to
check with them that would be great.

Thanks,
Brian