Subject: [Ieprep] MLPPoIP effort?

From: "Eagan, Christopher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:25:54 -0500

Hello all,

I am just wondering about the group's interest in working on some specific MLPP over IP problems.  Obvisouly, the major push is the US and NATO's desire to use VoIP and their requirements of MLPP.  Besides this alone constituting a significant market for VoIP products, however, the fruits of such work could be a long term benefit to many other emergency communications areas such as local police, fire and rescue communications systems, and more general 911/999 systems.

Possible products of an MLPP over IP work:

- Requirements Document for MLPP over IP
- Identification of technologies to be used or any necessary protocol extensions
- Specification of protocols to use in MLPPoIP
- Specification of gateways between MLPP IP netwowks and other MLPP networks

There are several documents in the IETF related to various issues important to MLPP, but there does not seem to be a visible effort on building the 'whole system'.  Is there a possibility of unifying or co-parenting some of these efforts under the IEPREP umbrella?

Any thoughts, comments, and/or contstructive outrages are greatly appreciated.

Christopher Eagan
Software Engineer
Lockheed Martin
(301) 240 - 6328
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Ken Carlberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:49:22 -0500

> There are several documents in the IETF related to various issues
> important to MLPP, but there does not seem to be a visible effort on
> building the 'whole system'.  Is there a possibility of unifying or
co-
> parenting some of these efforts under the IEPREP umbrella?

I assume you've read the following drafts.  These are individual
contributions, but they provide a starting point for what you may be
looking for.  The drafts will have the author's address, so feel free to
contact them directly.

	draft-pierce-ieprep-assured-service-req-01.txt
	draft-pierce-ieprep-assured-service-arch-01.txt
	draft-pierce-ieprep-pref-treat-examples-01.txt
	draft-polk-sipping-mlpp-reqs-01.txt

Of the items you mentioned below...

	- Requirements Document for MLPP over IP
	- Identification of technologies to be used or any necessary 
	  protocol extensions
	- Specification of protocols to use in MLPPoIP
	- Specification of gateways between MLPP IP netwowks and other 
	  MLPP networks

...the first two would seem to fall within the current the current
charter of IEPREP -- however, the ieprep chairs are a more definitive
authority on that issue.  For the last two, if by "specification" you
mean the definition of new protocols, then that would be out of the
current IEPREP charter and I would suggest speaking with an Area
Director for further advice.

My personal view is that if there is something specific that you feel is
missing or not addressed, its very helpful to put things in writing and
in the form of a draft-rfc.  That provides a tangible point for others
to examine and comment on (if they feel so inclined :-).  Note that
comments can be quite blunt and they generally arise on 3 occasions: the
introduction of a new draft, the request to make an individual
contribution into a working group item, and last call.  Its usually the
latter two that wake people up.

Regards,

-ken