Subject: RE: [Ieprep] deja vu

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:14:43 -0600

At 02:35 PM 11/21/2003 -0500, King, Kimberly  S. wrote:
>James,
>
> >One underlying assumption you are making about the CAC
> >function below is
> >that each knows where a destination endpoint is.
> >You are not accounting for
> >the mobility IP inherently brings to future networks.
>
>
>I'll first make some assumption about what you might mean by mobility that
>IP inherently brings to future networks.  If I guess wrong, then please
>provide more specificity.
>
>It appears you feel there is fault in my "solution".  I have assumed a
>traffic matrix and so I'll surmise you find fault with the assumption that
>such a matrix can exist accurately (due to mobility?).
>
>Question 1:  Have I guessed your concern?

yep

>Question 2:  If so, what does mobility have to do with it?

It means there isn't a deterministic outbound path of classifiable calls.

The IP PBX you mention - how does it know when a call is "not for this LAN"?

For example, is "[email-masked]" on this LAN, or another - and how 
would the IP PBX know this to know the layer 3 route the media will take?

I am assuming you are modeling the IP PBX to be aware of the separation of 
LAN to WAN (meaning everything not on this LAN); and that you are assuming 
the IP PBX will know when to invoke some CAC function on such call 
signaling when received.

In an all IP environment - you are assuming an application Server (the IP 
PBX) will be aware of outbound trunking utilization (for every outbound 
router interface, fairly real-time).

By what means are you to realize this "awareness"? COPS? SNMP? Or are you 
assuming/suggesting the IP PBX always keep track of all calls (counting the 
different BWs used by different codecs) in and out of a LAN to effectively 
understand when a particular router interface is reaching saturation levels 
of a particular traffic type?

>Please try to
>explicitly write down what you are concerned about.

I hope I have

>Kimberly

cheers,
James

                                *******************
                 Truth is not to be argued... it is to be presented

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep