Subject: RE: [Ieprep] deja vu

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:45:43 -0500

James,

>One underlying assumption you are making about the CAC 
>function below is
>that each knows where a destination endpoint is. 
>You are not accounting for 
>the mobility IP inherently brings to future networks.

Another guess...you used the words "each knows where a destination endpoint
is".  Okay, I'll address that part more clearly.

One doesn't need to know where the endpoint is.  If Joe moves his IP phone
to another base, that's fine because the smart CAC and normal SIP address
resolution/IP routing will take care of the problem.

Why?

Because the CAC doesn't just control who gets to place outbound calls, it
also intercepts inbound SIP messages.  

Suppose we are at a LAN with a link into the core network that can support
24 quality VoIP calls.  Now suppose 24 are occurring and they are all
routine.  An important call request comes in over that link from somewhere
else.  CAC looks at the SIP message and the RP header says it's a priority
call request.  So, CAC kills one of the existing routine calls and allows
the priority one to setup.  We now have bandwidth on our access link (both
at origination and where it is accepted).  The core is fine.  Life is good.

I don't think this problem is that hard but it must be defined or people are
going to talk in circles.  I'm getting dizzy and I'm a levelheaded woman.
:-)

Kimberly

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep