Subject: [Ietf-62] Re: Network Requirements and Equipment

From: Dennis Fazio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:49:55 -0600

--On February 5, 2005 05:12:42 PM +0100 Jim Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

[...]
> streaming from each of the breakout rooms, we'll need an additional
> ethernet In addition to what we need for the APs.

There should be two ethernet drops in each of the rooms, one for WiFi, one 
for wired unicast audio. We will be heading to the Hilton Wednesday (9th) to 
verify wiring and jack locations in each room.
>
> 	We have the bar and lobby area on the ground floor, 5 rooms (6 if you
> count the NOC) on the 2nd floor, and the usual Grand Ballroom split into up
> to 7 Salons with airwalls (ugh!), plus the perimeter rooms (Directors Row
> 1-4, and Board Room 1-3, as well as Duluth and Rochester) on the 3rd floor.

It wasn't clear from Marcia's chart that we needed access in Director's Row 
1-4 and the Board rooms. I don't think we included them in our Access Point 
estimate. Will there be events in those rooms that require coverage?

> We also have the Ramsey room, which I can't seem to find on the floorplans,
> but I'd expect it to be on the 3rd floor (anyone know for sure?).

Ramsey is the room marked "Retail" adjacent to the Carver room on the second 
floor.

> several Onvoy upstreams as well as UMN. ChrisL has arranged a pair of
> Junipers from Lenny, and Dave has a "pile of Cat 3750's" (20-30) from UMN
> that we can use.

Dave was of the opinion that we could use the 3750s as access routers and the 
Junipers would not be needed, so we should settle on what our preferences are 
for that.

-- 
Dennis Fazio
612-781-6890

_______________________________________________
Ietf-62 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-62

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:12:42 +0100

Gentlepeople,
	We've got two major issues to discuss, which interrelate pretty 
heavily. The first is the design, wide-area, building LAN, and wireless 
for IETF62, and the second is the status of gear to deliver that net. 
Before I begin, let me apologize in advance for repeating things that 
have been said in other messages. I'm not sure everyone has seen all of 
them, and I want us all on the same page. That said, the design that 
was mentioned in Dennis's mail of a few days ago has some notable 
differences from the way we've done things in the past, and I wanted to 
get discussion with the whole group to come to a (semi-) final design. 
In case anyone wasn't  copied on that mail, Dennis said:

> 2. Internet access
>
> Onvoy has placed an order for the dark fiber to the Hilton to 
> terminate in their Minneapolis PoP in a gigabit ethernet port. From 
> there, vLANs will be routed to get traffic to their 2-3 upstream 
> backbones, and over a direct link to the University for Internet2 
> cross-connect. Delivery is on schedule for the first couple of days in 
> March.
>
> For a backup link, we would like to put in a wireless broadband link 
> to the University for connection to its upstream national providers. 
> We are seeking equipment from Alcatel, via Chris Liljenstolpe, and 
> from Cisco, via Dave Farmer and the University Cisco rep. We hope to 
> hear within a few days. If that does not pan out, we will have to 
> install one or two T1 links.
>
> 3. Wired net
>
> The University will supply whatever number of Cisco 3750 
> switch/routers we need to build the wired network. We will terminate 
> the dark fiber and the wireless link in this equipment, one in the 
> basement telecom room, one on the roof. GigE links will be brought 
> down to the 3rd floor and distribution to the meeting rooms and base 
> stations will be done from there. Switches will also be placed in the 
> terminal room to supply the wired drops, printers and handful of 
> supplied laptops there.
>
> IPv6 routing will be done with a pair of Cisco 2900 units that the 
> University will also supply, one for the Onvoy dark fiber path, one 
> for the University wireless path.
>
> There should be no need for any additional routers or switches from 
> other sources.

	Before we delve too deeply into design, let's talk about requirements. 
The main thing that has changed this time around is that we'll not need 
to be sourcing lots of multicast from the net, being that Joel and Lucy 
have moved to sending out unicast audio streams back to UO for 
rebroadcast [If that's not correct, please let me know!]. We need v6 
and v4 connectivity, at at least 20M for the aggregate of the wired and 
wireless network. Multicast SHOULD be available, but isn't absolutely 
required.  We expect no more than 2000 attendees (alas, likely much 
lower).  Due to the audio streaming from each of the breakout rooms, 
we'll need an additional ethernet In addition to what we need for the 
APs.

	We have the bar and lobby area on the ground floor, 5 rooms (6 if you 
count the NOC) on the 2nd floor, and the usual Grand Ballroom split 
into up to 7 Salons with airwalls (ugh!), plus the perimeter rooms 
(Directors Row 1-4, and Board Room 1-3, as well as Duluth and 
Rochester) on the 3rd floor.  We also have the Ramsey room, which I 
can't seem to find on the floorplans, but I'd expect it to be on the 
3rd floor (anyone know for sure?). We /DO NOT/ have the Conrad rooms at 
all this time around. As last time, the NOC is in Symphony and the 
Terminal Room extends from Marquette through Hennepin.  Floor plans and 
details can be found at 
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/floorplans.jhtml?ctyhocn=MSPMHHH and 
I've attached Marcia's Meeting Room Times spreadsheet for anyone who 
needs details. Dennis also mentioned the possibility of covering the 
28th floor lounge, which seems like a good, but not critical, thing to 
do.

	As I understand it,  that's the entirety of the area being covered. No 
off-site connections are needed. If anyone knows any differently, 
please speak up!

	Ok, now what toys do we have to play with? Dennis has kindly arranged 
a GE link to Onvoy, which we'll be able to vlan out to provide L2 links 
to several Onvoy upstreams as well as UMN. ChrisL has arranged a pair 
of Junipers from Lenny, and Dave has a "pile of Cat 3750's" (20-30) 
from UMN that we can use. [Dave, can you be more specific on which 3750 
models? Do you have SFPs for them?] Geoff and Rob are bringing Infoblox 
DNS/DHCP and RADIUS servers, and we have the three little Shuttle 
servers (2 with FreeBSD and one with XP) for random services and 
monitoring.

	The two key missing pieces are the APs and a backup path for external. 
On the External front, there are requests to Alcatel and Cisco for 
wireless bridges for a shot back to UMN. As I understand it, the Acatel 
one is a long shot. We'll have to wait on an update from Chris on that, 
but he's offline in AU for a week. The Cisco bridge is being pursued by 
Dave. Dave, do you have any status? Chelliot, can you assist?

	Now, as for the APs, Chris Elliott is working on getting the "once 
lost and now found" 1200s that we were supposed to use for San Diego. 
The other possibility is the Airespace stuff, now part of Cisco, but 
unless it comes with Airespace expertise, the opinion seems to be that 
the 1200s are the way to go. Also, Rob is pursuing another wireless 
vendor (who I'm happy to discuss privately with anyone who's 
interested), but the deal there is that we'd only take their stuff if 
they provided significant onsite and engineering support. Of all of 
these, the 1200s seem most likely.... Chelliot, any update from your 
side?

	Ok, that's a long enough message for now. Once people chime in with 
details and status of the pieces, we can move on to design.

	Thanks guys!

	- Jim

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:09:02 +0100

Dennis,
	Again, thanks for the advance work.... Comments inline below...

On Feb 6, 2005, at 12:49 AM, Dennis Fazio wrote:

> There should be two ethernet drops in each of the rooms, one for WiFi, 
> one for wired unicast audio. We will be heading to the Hilton 
> Wednesday (9th) to verify wiring and jack locations in each room.

	Great. Could you also verify a few other things while you're there?
	- What do we have running down from the roof to the 3th floor cloak 
closet? I seem to remember two pair of Cat5, but I'm not positive. If 
it's fiber, what is it terminated with?
	- What do we have running up from the demarc room in the car park? I 
honestly don't remember if this is fiber or copper. Also, does it 
terminate on the 3rd floor closet? And, as always, if fiber, what does 
it terminate in?
	- I'm assuming the gig from Onvoy will be delivered in that demarc 
room in the car park. Do we know what type of connector they're 
delivering on? Last time we had to scramble for the cable. What gig 
standard are they going to be using? ZX-IR or LR?

>> into up
> It wasn't clear from Marcia's chart that we needed access in 
> Director's Row 1-4 and the Board rooms. I don't think we included them 
> in our Access Point estimate. Will there be events in those rooms that 
> require coverage?

	I'll let Marcia answer that conclusively, but often these are offices 
and such that people would appreciate the wireless, but don't demand 
it.

> Ramsey is the room marked "Retail" adjacent to the Carver room on the 
> second floor.

	Ah, thank you!

> Dave was of the opinion that we could use the 3750s as access routers 
> and the Junipers would not be needed, so we should settle on what our 
> preferences are for that.

	Right, this is exactly the discussion I wanted to get to. I'm hesitant 
to use the 3750s as our sole source of routing for several reasons. The 
biggest one is probably their limited ability to handle encaps/decaps 
duty. This means that if we need to bring up a tunnel to anywhere, for 
any purpose, we're SOL. It also means that they'll be more limited as 
to being able to act as a PIM RP, since this also involves a bunch of 
encaps/decaps (think register packets). While we're not doing /tons/ of 
multicast, we might as well build something solid :-) Also, the v6 code 
for the 3750 was just released something like 10 days ago ... it seems 
to work, but I not sure I want to bet the IETF on it :-) Finally, we 
really like to keep full BGP tables, so we can do optimal egress 
routing (which makes even more sense with lots of upstream peers, like 
we have this time). I've not tried this on a 3750, but I'd be worried 
about memory and CPU utilization.

	So, that all said, I personally feel much better using the Junipers.

	How's this for a proposed design. We place one M10 in the roof room, 
one in the car park. The roof one gets the wireless external (if that 
works out) and the car park gets the external Gig. We then place a pair 
of stacked 3750s in the 3rd floor cloak room (which I'll call the core 
switches). We run two pair from each of the M10s to the stack, 
terminating one in each physical switch, using 802.3ad link 
aggregation.  That way, we can't go down due to any one single failure. 
If we want to be paranoid, we can dual attach any fanout switches back 
to both core switches, and do 802.3ad (or cisco EtherChannel) to ensure 
that even the edge stays up in a single failure.

	From a routing perspective, we could ether drag all the vlans out to 
the Junipers, and do the usual VRRP trick, or we could use the Junipers 
solely as external routers and have the 3750's do all our internal 
routing.  I'd kinda like to do the latter, but I'm open to other 
thoughts on the matter!

	What do you guys think?

	- Jim

---

From: Dennis Fazio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:13:31 -0600

> 	Great. Could you also verify a few other things while you're there?

Surely. We'll get back to you after Wednesday afternoon.

-- 
Dennis Fazio
612-781-6890

---

From: Dennis Fazio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:52:52 -0600

Dave Farmer and I met with the Hilton telecomm chief this afternoon to survey 
all the spaces and map out the jacks. Here is a response to Jim's recent 
message based on what we learned.

--On February 8, 2005 11:09:02 AM +0100 Jim Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> closet?

Two Cat5 cables. They terminate in the Hilton's 4th floor switch room.

> 	- What do we have running up from the demarc room in the car park?

6-12 strands of multi-mode fiber. It terminates in the 3rd floor coatroom in 
a box with SC connectors.

> 	- I'm assuming the gig from Onvoy will be delivered in that demarc room in
> the car park. Do we know what type of connector they're delivering on? Last
> time we had to scramble for the cable. What gig standard are they going to
> be using? ZX-IR or LR?

The Onvoy connection will be delivered over Qwest fiber into the Hilton. We 
think the connecter is D4. I should be able to get Onvoy to supply the fiber 
jumper.  We'll have that scoped out well in advance this time. Not sure what 
gig standard they will use yet. Whatever is necessary to get it the 1 - 2 
miles to their POP. I'll follow up on that along with status with them 
tomorrow.

> 	I'll let Marcia answer that conclusively, but often these are offices and
> such that people would appreciate the wireless, but don't demand it.

The Board Rooms and Director's Row should easily be covered by the access 
points in the 3rd floor lobby and halls.

[...]
> 	So, that all said, I personally feel much better using the Junipers.

You certainly will feel much *stronger* after hauling them around :-)

We concur that the M10s are the way we should go.

> 	How's this for a proposed design. We place one M10 in the roof room, one
> in the car park. The roof one gets the wireless external (if that works
> out) and the car park gets the external Gig. We then place a pair of
> stacked 3750s in the 3rd floor cloak room (which I'll call the core
> switches). We run two pair from each of the M10s to the stack, terminating
> one in each physical switch, using 802.3ad link aggregation.  That way, we
> can't go down due to any one single failure. If we want to be paranoid, we
> can dual attach any fanout switches back to both core switches, and do
> 802.3ad (or cisco EtherChannel) to ensure that even the edge stays up in a
> single failure.

We were thinking we'd create two symmetrical hubs consisting of an M10 and 
ganged pair of 3750s. One hub would be in the coatroom, the other in the 
Hilton's 4th floor switch room.  The hubs would terminate the two respective 
external links and feed right into the two distribution networks.

There would be a 3750 (or ganged pair) on the roof (or Penthouse, as the 
Hilton calls it) to relay via Cat5 to the 4th floor switch room. There would 
be a similar setup in the carpark demarc, with the difference that those 
unit(s) would relay via fiber from the Qwest port up via the multi-mode to 
the coatroom.

There is a pair of Cat5 trunks between the coatroom and the 4th floor switch 
room to interconnect the two hubs for full distribution and auto-failover 
redundancy.

This seems to be a conceptually simple, symmetrical and a good 
diverse/redundant way to go AND you don't have to haul a heavy M10 up those 
steep, narrow US Navy stairs to the Penthouse (and back down). Plus, the 
routers will be more accessible if needed.

To clarify, there are two distribution networks. One originates in a panel in 
the coatroom. (The photo attached shows this with the fiber box that goes to 
the carpark above it and the two etherjacks to the 4th floor switch room 
below.) I'll call this the "Brown" network, because these all terminate in 
brown jacks in the rooms. The other net originates in the Hilton 4th floor 
switch room. I'll call this the "White" network because it feeds a set of 
white-colored jacks in all the rooms.

With the two router/switch hubs feeding the two respective distribution nets 
and interconnected with each other, you have maximum flexibility to plug 
anything you want into any number of jacks in all the rooms and work your 
VLAN magic to get it where it needs to go and keep it all sorted out.

Dave Farmer will be drawing up a physical and virtual LAN topology shortly 
and send to the list to give his ideas of how it can all be laid out.

Our survey showed that there were several White and Brown network jacks in 
all the meeting rooms and some in the hallways. I will put them on a map and 
send them out in a subsequent message so you have an idea and our wireless 
chief(s) can map out where they want the access points.

Other misc in random order:

We will have easy access to the Hilton switch room to get to the White 
network and can use their rack space if we want.

The University should be able to supply any fiber jumpers we need between the 
3750s and Junipers. The only one in question is the Qwest jumper. I'll verify 
that Onvoy can supply this since they should know what is needed on the Qwest 
end. We'll make sure the other end will go into the 3750 OK.

The Hilton will run a Cat5 cable to the 23rd floor lounge so we can put an 
access point there. It will then be in place permanently for future use.

Cisco has agreed to provide a pair of 1400 wireless bridges to the University 
for use during IETF week. They should arrive by the 15th, and if they do, we 
will install them on Friday the 18th.

Does anyone have any info on access points yet (and a couple of antennas to 
cover the streets from the roof)?

The Hilton will supply the "pipe-and-drape" pipes for the access points so we 
can secure them and get them above the crowd. We just need to let them know 
how many.

Other notes:

If anyone wants to ship anything to the Hilton in advance of your arrival and 
if you let me know when it should arrive, I can go down and verify it arrived 
safely and undamaged to give more time for corrective action.

Off topic, but useful overall:
We now have a light rail line that goes from downtown (5 blocks from the 
Hilton) to the Airport and Mall of America. It's about 30 minutes to the 
Airport, 40 minutes to Mall of America (about the same as by car/taxi) and 
costs $1.25 ($1.75 rush hour). Marcia, this may be useful to all the 
attendees flying in or wanting to head down for some shopping. Here's the 
detail if you want to put it in any pre-conference info announcements:
<http://www.metrotransit.org/rail/index.asp>

Looking forward to seeing all you folks again.
-- 
Dennis Fazio
_______________________________________________
Ietf-62 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-62

---

From: Dennis Fazio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:32:21 -0600

> time we had to scramble for the cable. What gig standard are they going to

Onvoy says they have LX optics, but can get ZX if needed. They will supply a 
20 meter cable to connect to the Qwest demarc connector. Expected delivery 
date is between Feb 25 and Feb 28.

-- 
Dennis Fazio
612-781-6890

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:23:37 +0100

Chris,
	This shouldn't be a big deal, since we've gotten the 1400's thanks to  
Dennis and Dave. We're still hunting antennae for those, if anyone has  
a source. I'm pursuing it, but haven't come up with anything yet...

	- Jim

On Feb 17, 2005, at 2:12 AM, Chris Liljenstolpe wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Greetings,
>
> 	We don't look like we are going to get the wireless backhaul.  BTW -  
> have we gotten final requirements for routers to Lenny?
>
> 	Chris
>
> On 06 Feb 2005, at 00.12, Jim Martin wrote:
>
>> Gentlepeople,
>> heavily. The first is the design, wide-area, building LAN, and  
>> wireless for IETF62, and the second is the status of gear to deliver  
>> that net. Before I begin, let me apologize in advance for repeating  
>> things that have been said in other messages. I'm not sure everyone  
>> has seen all of them, and I want us all on the same page. That said,  
>> the design that was mentioned in Dennis's mail of a few days ago has  
>> some notable differences from the way we've done things in the past,  
>> and I wanted to get discussion with the whole group to come to a  
>> (semi-) final design. In case anyone wasn't  copied on that mail,  
>> Dennis said:
>>
>>> 2. Internet access
>>>
>>> cross-connect. Delivery is on schedule for the first couple of days  
>>> in March.
>>>
>>> stations will be done from there. Switches will also be placed in  
>>> the terminal room to supply the wired drops, printers and handful of  
>>> supplied laptops there.
>>>
>> 	Before we delve too deeply into design, let's talk about  
>> requirements. The main thing that has changed this time around is  
>> that we'll not need to be sourcing lots of multicast from the net,  
>> being that Joel and Lucy have moved to sending out unicast audio  
>> streams back to UO for rebroadcast [If that's not correct, please let  
>> me know!]. We need v6 and v4 connectivity, at at least 20M for the  
>> aggregate of the wired and wireless network. Multicast SHOULD be  
>> available, but isn't absolutely required.  We expect no more than  
>> 2000 attendees (alas, likely much lower).  Due to the audio streaming  
>> from each of the breakout rooms, we'll need an additional ethernet In  
>> addition to what we need for the APs.
>>
>> 	We have the bar and lobby area on the ground floor, 5 rooms (6 if  
>> you count the NOC) on the 2nd floor, and the usual Grand Ballroom  
>> split into up to 7 Salons with airwalls (ugh!), plus the perimeter  
>> rooms (Directors Row 1-4, and Board Room 1-3, as well as Duluth and  
>> 3rd floor (anyone know for sure?). We /DO NOT/ have the Conrad rooms  
>> at all this time around. As last time, the NOC is in Symphony and the  
>> Terminal Room extends from Marquette through Hennepin.  Floor plans  
>> and details can be found at  
>> http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/floorplans.jhtml?ctyhocn=MSPMHHH  
>> and I've attached Marcia's Meeting Room Times spreadsheet for anyone  
>> who needs details. Dennis also mentioned the possibility of covering  
>> the 28th floor lounge, which seems like a good, but not critical,  
>> thing to do.
>>
>> 	As I understand it,  that's the entirety of the area being covered.  
>> No off-site connections are needed. If anyone knows any differently,  
>> please speak up!
>>
>> 	Ok, now what toys do we have to play with? Dennis has kindly  
>> arranged a GE link to Onvoy, which we'll be able to vlan out to  
>> provide L2 links to several Onvoy upstreams as well as UMN. ChrisL  
>> has arranged a pair of Junipers from Lenny, and Dave has a "pile of  
>> Cat 3750's" (20-30) from UMN that we can use. [Dave, can you be more  
>> specific on which 3750 models? Do you have SFPs for them?] Geoff and  
>> Rob are bringing Infoblox DNS/DHCP and RADIUS servers, and we have  
>> the three little Shuttle servers (2 with FreeBSD and one with XP) for  
>> random services and monitoring.
>>
>> 	The two key missing pieces are the APs and a backup path for  
>> external. On the External front, there are requests to Alcatel and  
>> Cisco for wireless bridges for a shot back to UMN. As I understand  
>> it, the Acatel one is a long shot. We'll have to wait on an update  
>> from Chris on that, but he's offline in AU for a week. The Cisco  
>> bridge is being pursued by Dave. Dave, do you have any status?  
>> Chelliot, can you assist?
>>
>> unless it comes with Airespace expertise, the opinion seems to be  
>> that the 1200s are the way to go. Also, Rob is pursuing another  
>> wireless vendor (who I'm happy to discuss privately with anyone who's  
>> <62nd_MeetingRoomTimes.xls>___________________________________________ 
>> ____
>> Ietf-62 mailing list
>> [email-masked]
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)
>
> iQEVAwUBQhPvammx2Mt/+Iw/AQLrMQf+Ktfv6zJ+n3qryj3iGdbbePdKeP+HiUTy
> izQ9lN/5o40tUrpYRK0SmQF96lxWpmfR5meEfNPGBuLBSStPw1NmTEgs4/EwM4VQ
> 1JBEhbmb92EgHPbyw7bTa6SMg7GNqA830yrDluDqt2+DjugX+zTFuxbQI4LEo9V7
> TLDKLBaoMoUYYsOD4Fr2FMCfIQmjSsOsEqGz2f8KERP0+F2uut+EhKODY/xMiVC5
> SU7pB8h4al299ZDrWyv6RIGxJIYG6Mxujr3Wwq8eEHuAhLjbhlhULPpRNDdZYSua
> UXwlErKOTVx0xRM72W1g9vdbYPmkw0JWEmu4jGoWwv7yOwSFtM7KZQ==
> =HXDt
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---

From: Chris Liljenstolpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:12:05 +0800

Greetings,

	Chris

On 06 Feb 2005, at 00.12, Jim Martin wrote:

> requirements. The main thing that has changed this time around is that  
> we'll not need to be sourcing lots of multicast from the net, being  
> that Joel and Lucy have moved to sending out unicast audio streams  
> back to UO for rebroadcast [If that's not correct, please let me  
> know!]. We need v6 and v4 connectivity, at at least 20M for the  
> available, but isn't absolutely required.  We expect no more than 2000  
> attendees (alas, likely much lower).  Due to the audio streaming from  
> each of the breakout rooms, we'll need an additional ethernet In  
> a GE link to Onvoy, which we'll be able to vlan out to provide L2  
> links to several Onvoy upstreams as well as UMN. ChrisL has arranged a  
> pair of Junipers from Lenny, and Dave has a "pile of Cat 3750's"  
> (20-30) from UMN that we can use. [Dave, can you be more specific on  
> which 3750 models? Do you have SFPs for them?] Geoff and Rob are  
> bringing Infoblox DNS/DHCP and RADIUS servers, and we have the three  
> little Shuttle servers (2 with FreeBSD and one with XP) for random  
> services and monitoring.
>
> Cisco for wireless bridges for a shot back to UMN. As I understand it,  
> the Acatel one is a long shot. We'll have to wait on an update from  
> Chris on that, but he's offline in AU for a week. The Cisco bridge is  
> being pursued by Dave. Dave, do you have any status? Chelliot, can you  
> assist?
>
> <62nd_MeetingRoomTimes.xls>____________________________________________ 
> ___
> Ietf-62 mailing list
> [email-masked]

---

From: Dennis Fazio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:13:30 -0600

--On February 17, 2005 09:23:37 AM +0100 Jim Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dennis and Dave. We're still hunting antennae for those, if anyone has  a
> source. I'm pursuing it, but haven't come up with anything yet...

I'm not sure we have them in hand yet. Checking on that now, though delivery 
was promised for about now. The required antennas should come with the units, 
I believe.

The extra antennas I was looking for were for installing a couple of base 
stations on the roof to cover restaurants across the mall. Those are a "nice 
to have" but not required.

-- 
Dennis Fazio
612-781-6890

---

From: "David Farmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:33:03 -0600

They are here, well there, I'm not in Minneapolis right now.

We'll get them installed early next week.

I have to run.

On 17 Feb 2005 Dennis Fazio wrote:

> > This shouldn't be a big deal, since we've gotten the 1400's thanks
> > to Dennis and Dave. We're still hunting antennae for those, if
> > anyone has  a source. I'm pursuing it, but haven't come up with
> > anything yet...
> 
> I'm not sure we have them in hand yet. Checking on that now, though
> delivery was promised for about now. The required antennas should come
> with the units, I believe.
> 
> The extra antennas I was looking for were for installing a couple of
> base stations on the roof to cover restaurants across the mall. Those
> are a "nice to have" but not required.
> 
> -- 
> Dennis Fazio
> 612-781-6890
> 

=================================================
David Farmer				Email:	[email-masked]
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota			Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			Cell:	612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		FAX:	612-624-4035
=================================================

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:30:02 +0100

Cool! Actually, we may have a third path out. The folks at Priority 
Networks (a friendly event networking company that Chris S works for) 
has a presence at the Convention center. Chris was offering us another 
path out through their link, and is planning on bringing a wireless 
bridge set. So it looks like we're really looking great for external.

	However, I must admit that I'm coming up dry on the wireless APs. 
Chris Elliott is working on getting us the 1200s, but I've not had luck 
contacting him over the last couple of weeks and I'm getting worried. 
I'll work on getting ahold of him (and he's getting this message too! 
Hi Chris! :-), but if anyone has other options in their back pocket, 
I'd be glad to hear them.

	Thanks!

	- Jim

---

From: Dennis Fazio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:42:11 -0600

--On February 17, 2005 10:30:02 PM +0100 Jim Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Networks (a friendly event networking company that Chris S works for) has a
> presence at the Convention center. Chris was offering us another path out
> through their link, and is planning on bringing a wireless bridge set.

Great, we can set that one up too. We'll need a bit more of a cable run for 
that one though because the Convention Center is on the opposite side of the 
Hilton from where the jacks and the switch will be at the top of the stairs. 
But, the Center is only two blocks away and directly accessible via Skyway.

-- 
Dennis Fazio
612-781-6890