Subject: survey results
From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 20:34:57 -0400

here they are...
Here is a summary of the results in no particular order, except that
I've tried to group entries from the same product (possibly different
versions) together.  

The first line of description is what the person said he was using;
the second line is from the X-Mailer header line if there was one.

"works" means that the reply contained a message header
	which correctly encoded the name I used in the subject message.
"failed" means that the reply contained non-ascii characters
"almost" means that the reply was incorrect in some other way

the value judgements implied in the terms are somewhat arbitrary,
which is why the notes contain more information.

(e.g. by these criteria, any pre-MIME mailer probably "works" -
it would return a correct encoding in the message header even if it
could not display the text for the responder)

There are some inconsistencies between different reports of apparently
the same product.  It also appears that sometimes the user agent isn't
responsible for the problem -- either the subject message is being
transformed before it reaches the responder's user agent, or the reply
is being transformed after it leaves the responder's user agent.
There are so many layers involved (too many) that users don't always
understand which layer is doing what.

Because of this, one shouldn't assume that a symptom associated with a
particular user agent in this list, is necessarily due to a bug in
that user agent....particularly where there are only one or two such
reports.

Keith

MS Exchange Client for Exchange 5 using Internet connector	works (1)
	Internet Mail Service (5.5.1960.3)

MS Exchange v 5.0.1458.7, Windows NT 4.0 sp2			almost (2)
	Internet Mail Service (5.0.1460.8)

MS Outlook v 8.5.5104.6, Windows NT 4.0 sp3			almost (2)
	Internet Mail Service (5.5.2221.0)

MS Outlook Express v 4.72.2106.4, Windows NT 4.0 sp3		almost (3)
	Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4

MS Outlook 98 (8.5.5104.6)					almost (3)
	Microsoft Outlook 8.5, Build 4.71.2173.0

MS Outlook 98 + MS Exchange 5.5					almost (2)
	Internet Mail Service (5.0.1460.8)

exchange 5.5, outlook 98 client, via MAPI, NT5			almost (2)
	Internet Mail Service (5.5.2221.0)

outlook 97							fails (9)
	Microsoft Internet E-mail/MAPI - 8.0.0.4211

Eudora Macintosh 4.1a11-6.98					works
	Eudora [Macintosh version 4.1a11-6.98]

Eudora 4.0 (platform not specified, but probably a Mac)		works
	
Eudora 4.0.1, Win32						fails (6)
	QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.0.1

Eudora 4.0.1, MacOS 8.1						works

Eudora 4.1 (alpha), Mac 					works
	Eudora [Macintosh version 4.1a6-6.98]

Eudora Pro v4.1a11, Mac						works
	QUALCOMM Eudora Pro v4.1 for Macintosh

Eudora version 3 (with the QP button pushed)			works
	QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0.2 (32)

Elm 2.4ME+ PL32							lazy (7)

Elm 2.4 PL25							lazy (7)

Elm 2.4 PL23							lazy (7)

Gnus 5.5 in XEmacs 20.4						works
	Gnus v5.5/XEmacs 20.4 - "Emerald"

gnus 5.5 with tm 7.105 						works
	Gnus v5.5/Emacs 19.34

gnus 5.6.7							fails (6)
	Gnus v5.6.7/XEmacs 21.0(beta41) - "San Clemente"

gnus 5.6.9 w/ tm 7.106 						works
	 Gnus v5.6.9/XEmacs 20.4 - "Emerald"

Simeon 4.1.5 (build 42), Windows NT 4.0 sp3			works
	Simeon for Win32 Version 4.1.5 Build (42)

Netscape Communicator 4.05, Solaris 2.5.1			fails (4)
	Mozilla 4.05C-USWC0720 [en] (X11; I; SunOS 5.5.1 sun4m)

netscape 4.05, solaris 2.6					almost (10)

Pine 3.89, Linux						works

Pine 4.00							works

PMDF PINE 3.95, VMS						works

Pine 3.95, Linux						works

Z-mail, late 4.0 beta (header_encoding set to quoted-printable) works (1)
	Z-Mail (4.0b.820 20aug96)

Lotus Domino 4.6.1c, Windows 95/NT				works (1)

Lotus Notes 4.6.1c						fails (6)

notes 4.6 via domino 4.6					works (1)

Claris EMailer 2.0v3, Mac OS 8.1				almost (5)
	Claris Emailer 2.0v3, January 22, 1998

exmh 2.0.2							works
	exmh version 2.0.2 2/24/98

mh 6.8.4, HP-UX 10.20						works

trn								lazy (7)

VM 6.47 (emacs lisp program)					works
	VM 6.48 under 21.0 "San Clemente" XEmacs Lucid (beta41)

vm 6.22								works
	VM 6.22 under 19.15 XEmacs Lucid

andrew								works

Agent 1.5/32.451, windows 95					works (1)
	Forte Agent 1.5/32.451

Free Agent 1.11/32						works
	Forte Free Agent 1.11/32.235

mew 1.93b36							lazy (7)
	Mew version 1.93b36 on Emacs 19.28 / Mule 2.3 (SUETSUMUHANA)

MacSOUP, version 2.3.2						works (8)
	MacSOUP 2.3

turnpike v 4.00 beta 4						works (1)
	 Turnpike (32) Version 4.00 beta 4

slrn 0.9.5.2, redhat linux 5.0					lazy (7)

web4groups							fails (6)

batimail							almost (11)

notes:

1. re-encoded on reply
   original:    Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?=
   changed to:  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Keith_M=F6=F6re?=

2. re-encoded on reply, adding extra 0x27 character
   original: 	Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?=
   changed to:  =?iso-8859-1?q?Keith_M=F6=F6re=27?=

3. re-encodes the whole thing in base64 (which is acceptable),
   encloses the resulting string in double quotes (which is not)
   original:	Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?=
   changed to:  "=?iso-8859-1?B?S2VpdGggTfb2cmU=?=" 

4. reply contains non-ascii characters, surrounded by quotes
   original:    Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?=
   changed to:  "Keith Mööre"

5. re-encoded on reply,  (which is acceptable)
   encloses the entire string in double quotes (which is not)
   original:    Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?= 
   changed to:  "Keith M=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=f6=f6re?="

6. reply contains non-ascii characters
   original:    Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?=
   changed to:  Keith Mööre

7. omits phrase in reply, includes only the address
   original:	Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?= <[email-masked]>
   changed to:	[email-masked]

8. re-encoded on reply, 'phrase' converted to 'comment'
   original:	Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?= <[email-masked]>
   changed to:  [email-masked] (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Keith_M=F6=F6re?=)

9. reply uses ascii only with accents removed and quotes added (go figure)
   original:    Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?= <[email-masked]>
   changed to: 	"'Keith Moore'" <[email-masked]>

10. encloses phrase in double quotes (which violates rfc 2047)
   original:    Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?= <[email-masked]>
   changed to:  "Keith =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=F6=F6re?=" <[email-masked]>

11. re-encoded on reply, adding double quotes within the encoded word
   original:    Keith =?iso-8859-1?q?M=F6=F6re?=
   changed to:  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Keith_M=F6=F6re=22?=