Subject: [ietf-822] "Liking" email.

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 08:46:19 -0700

Finally published.

While you can include emojis in the content of your email, there hasn't 
been a way of telling the email system that the emoji is intended to 
signal a reaction to the message you are replying to.  Now there is.

If you'd like to hit the like or love or sad or whatever button, as a 
reaction to a received message, the challenge, now, is getting support 
added to your email user software, such as Thunderbird, or GMail, or 
Outlook, or...

         RFC 9078
         Title:      Reaction: Indicating Summary Reaction to
                       a Message
         Author:  D. Crocker, R. Signes, N. Freed
         URL:       https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9078

The popularity of social media has led to user comfort with easily
signaling basic reactions to an author's posting, such as with a
'thumbs up' or 'smiley' graphic. This specification permits a similar
facility for Internet Mail.
-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net