Subject: RFC 2389 on Feature negotiation mechanism for the FTP

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:32:00 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2389:  

        Title:	    Feature negotiation mechanism for the File
		    Transfer Protocol
	Author(s):  P. Hethmon, R. Elz
	Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       August 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      9
        Characters: 18536
        See Also:   959

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2389.txt

The File Transfer Protocol is, from time to time, extended with new
commands, or facilities.  Implementations of the FTP protocol cannot
be assumed to all immediately implement all newly defined mechanisms.
This document provides a mechanism by which clients of the FTP
protocol can discover which new features are supported by a particular
FTP server.

This document is a product of the Extensions to FTP Working Group of
the IETF.

This document is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.