Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-luotonen-web-proxy-tunneling-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:48:59 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Tunneling TCP based protocols through 
                          Web proxy servers
	Author(s)	: A. Luotonen
	Filename	: draft-luotonen-web-proxy-tunneling-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 27-Aug-98
	
   This document specifies a generic tunneling mechanism for TCP based
   protocols through Web proxy servers.  This tunneling mechanism was
   initially introduced for the SSL protocol [SSL] to allow secure Web
   traffic to pass through firewalls, but its utility is not limited to
   SSL.  Earlier drafts of this specification were titled 'Tunneling SSL
   through Web Proxy Servers' <draft-luotonen-ssl-tunneling-XX.txt>.
   Implementations of this tunneling feature are commonly referred to as
   'SSL tunneling', although, again, it can be used for tunneling any
   TCP based protocol.
 
   A wide variety of existing client and proxy server implementations
   conform to this specification.  The purpose of this specification is
   to describe the current practice, to propose some good practices for
   implementing this specification, and to document the security
   considerations that are involved with this protocol.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-luotonen-web-proxy-tunneling-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-luotonen-web-proxy-tunneling-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-luotonen-web-proxy-tunneling-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.