Subject: IAB Last Call on new IANA Statement

From: The Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:51:31 -0400 (EDT)

------

A special one week Last Call period has been initiated on the following statement.
This last call period runs until September 3, 1998.

                 IAB statement on New IANA

In June 1998, the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) reviewed 
the US Government White Paper at
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/6_5_98dns.htm
and welcomed it, especially the emphasis on self-administration
for the Internet. In particular, the IAB believed then and 
believes now that for stability of operation, the technical work 
of the new corporation must be initially built out from the existing 
IANA technical team hosted by the Information Sciences Institute of the 
University of Southern California under the direction of Jon Postel.

This week the IAB has considered the draft by-laws of the new
IANA corporation as most recently revised and posted at 
http://www.iana.org . The IAB endorses this draft as the basis for
the final by laws, on the basis that:

1. The IETF will be the "Protocol Supporting Organization"
   for the new IANA. 

2. The IAB, consulting with the IESG, will be the "Protocol Council" 
   for the new IANA.

3. The regular IETF nominations process will be modified to 
   incorporate the appointment of the three corresponding IANA Board 
   Members.

The IAB is an oversight committee of the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF), whose charter published as RFC 1601 includes the
desgnation of the IANA. For further details, please see the Web site 
http://www.iab.org/iab .

  Brian Carpenter (IAB Chair)             August 26, 1998