Subject: RFC 2426 on vCard MIME Directory Profile

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 15:07:07 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2426:

        Title:	    vCard MIME Directory Profile
	Author(s):  F. Dawson, T. Howes
	Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       September 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      42
        Characters: 74646 
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2426.txt

This memo defines the profile of the MIME Content-Type [MIME-DIR] for
directory information for a white-pages person object, based on a
vCard electronic business card. The profile definition is independent
of any particular directory service or protocol. The profile is
defined for representing and exchanging a variety of information about
an individual (e.g., formatted and structured name and delivery
addresses, email address, multiple telephone numbers, photograph,
logo, audio clips, etc.). The directory information used by this
profile is based on the attributes for the person object defined in
the X.520 and X.521 directory services recommendations. The profile
also provides the method for including a [VCARD] representation of a
white-pages directory entry within the MIME Content-Type defined by
the [MIME-DIR] document.

This document is a product of the Access, Searching and Indexing of
Directories Working Group of the IETF.

This document is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.