Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-balabanian-rtp-mpeg4-dmif-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:57:16 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Role of DMIF in Support of RTP MPEG-4 Payloads
	Author(s)	: V. Balabanian
	Filename	: draft-balabanian-rtp-mpeg4-dmif-01.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 21-Sep-98
	
This draft technical proposal  describes how RTP carrying MPEG-4
payloads interacts with the MPEG-4 Sync layer through the MPEG
(Delivery Multimedia Integration Framework) DMIF. Single or multiple
MPEG-4 streams can be carried over one RTP session. MPEG-4 information
essential for the efficient packing and unpacking of MPEG-4 streams
into/from RTP is identified.
 
The DMIF end-to-end signaling protocol is applied to identify the MPEG-4
RTP payload types and ensure stack compatibility at both sender and
receiver locations. DMIF also interprets the RTCP reports by comparing
its statistics to the requested MPEG-4 media based QoS. If the
statistics fail to meet the requested QoS then action is taken to either
continue with the impaired performance, upgrade the network service
class, scale down the stream or delete the stream. This action is apart
from scalability using the stream back-channel flow control which may
be present between an encoder and its decoder.
 
This is an update of the draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mpeg4-dmif-00. It reflects
the latest MPEG-4 specs. In addition some clarifications are included
and an open issues section is established based on feedback received.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-balabanian-rtp-mpeg4-dmif-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-balabanian-rtp-mpeg4-dmif-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-balabanian-rtp-mpeg4-dmif-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.