Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-taylor-ipdc-reqts-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:55:48 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Requirements for A Telephony Gateway 
                          Device Control Protocol
	Author(s)	: P. Taylor
	Filename	: draft-taylor-ipdc-reqts-00.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 15-Sep-98
	
   This document describes the requirements for a protocol to control  a
   device  which  supports  telephone  lines  or  trunks on one side and
   packet network ports on the other.   The  primary  functions  of  the
   device  are  to  make,  modify,  and  break  media stream connections
   between  these  edge-points,  to  perform  operations  on  the  media
   streams,  and  to  detect  and report specific events associated with
   those streams or the edge-points. This device may also terminate call
   signalling  which  it  processes  itself  and/or passes to the device
   which controls it.  Using the terminology provided by  Cuervo  et  al
   [1],  the device just described is a Media Gateway, and is controlled
   by a Media Gateway Controller.
 
   The requirements for the protocol  separate  into  two  major  parts:
   operational   and   functional.   The  operational  requirements  are
   concerned with reliability and security of control messaging, control
   session  startup  and takedown, handling of control session failures,
   and control system performance.  The  functional  requirements  cover
   connection   control,   media  processing,  event  notification,  and
   resource status tracking.  They may also include signalling  backhaul
   from the Media Gateway to the Media Gateway Controller.
 
   The protocol should extend to the control of  devices  which  contain
   telephony edge-points only (such as digital cross-connects) or packet
   network ports only (such as transcoders or announcement servers).

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-taylor-ipdc-reqts-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-taylor-ipdc-reqts-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-taylor-ipdc-reqts-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.