Subject: Protocol Action: Multiprotocol Interconnect over Frame Relay to Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:26:57 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Multiprotocol Interconnect
over Frame Relay' <draft-ietf-ion-fr-update-06.txt> as a Standard. This
document will replace RFC1490, currently a Draft Standard.

This document is the product of the Internetworking Over NBMA Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes an encapsulation method for carrying network
interconnect traffic over a Frame Relay backbone.  It covers aspects
of both Bridging and Routing.  Systems with the ability to transfer
both the encapsulation method described in this document, and others
must have a priori knowledge of which virtual circuits will carry
which encapsulation method and this encapsulation must only be used
over virtual circuits that have been explicitly configured for its
use.

Working Group Summary

There are numerous implementations of this spec and it is widely
deployed.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Jeffrey Burgan and
Thomas Narten.