Subject: Protocol Action: RTP Payload Format for the 1998 Version of ITU-T Rec. H.263 Video (H.263+) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:36:53 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'RTP Payload Format for the
1998 Version of ITU-T Rec. H.263 Video (H.263+)'
<draft-ietf-avt-rtp-h263-video-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
  This protocol specifies an RTP payload header format for carrying
  video streams transmitted using the 1998 version of ITU-T 
  Recommendation H.263. The format is especially designed for resiliency 
  in the face of packet loss.

Working Group Summary

  This draft was presented at the AVT working group meeting in 
  Washington, DC, and received extended discussion.  The draft was 
  revised based on that feedback and presented in Los Angeles where 
  there was consensus for going to Proposed.  The draft was subsequently 
  given a working group last call.

  There was one issue that generated a number of comments, specifically 
  the relationship between this draft and RFC 2190 on the earlier 
  version of the H.263 encoding standard.  It was agreed to add a 
  paragraph in the new spec explaining its relationship to RFC 2190, 
  which has been done in this version.

  There is at least one implementation of the protocol.

Protocol Quality

  Vern Paxson reviewed the protocol for the IESG.  Note that this 
  protocol does not replace RFC 2190, which continues to be used by 
  existing implementations, and may be required for backward 
  compatibility in new implementations.