Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lloyd-ldap-distribution-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:16:05 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Distribution: LDAP server transition to X.500
	Author(s)	: A. Lloyd
	Filename	: draft-lloyd-ldap-distribution-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 28-Sep-98
	
This document defines chaining arguments that can be applied to any
LDAP operation for distributed/chained server to server operations.
This approach to distribution for LDAP systems, enables a consistent
transition of the LDAP single server environments, to the full
functionality of X.500 distributed directory systems. This proposal
is supported by two other proposals previously submitted as
<draft-lloyd-ldap-svcs-00.txt> and <draft-lloyd-list-read-00.txt>.
These proposals require that LDAP V3 is evolved to LDAP V4. LDAP V4
will enable LDAP clients and servers that access and interwork with
X.500 systems, to more readily use (and integrate with) the full
distribution and replication services offered by X.500. In addition
this approach will provide better compatability with the higher
functionality afforded to X.500 DAP clients.
(Although the commonly known information restrictions of LDAP string
encoding may still apply).
 
The Chaining controls proposed in this draft will be carried with the
original LDAP access client controls as defined in
<draft-lloyd-ldap-svcs-00.txt> in the standard LDAP V4 operations
(Search, List, etc) when it is used for server - server communication.
ie. chaining.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lloyd-ldap-distribution-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lloyd-ldap-distribution-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lloyd-ldap-distribution-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.