Subject: IAB actions concerning the IANA

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:27:24 -0400

On September 4, 1998 the IAB issued a statement in general support
of the third published draft by laws for the "new IANA" corporation.
The IAB has briefly reviewed the fifth draft published on September
28, and finds it to be broadly compatible with the third draft. 
However, since all the issues surrounding the new corporation have not
yet been fully resolved, the IAB has decided under the terms of
RFC 1601 to prolong for three months the current designation of the 
team under Jon Postel at ISI as the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority.
We will work on an interim agreement with the IANA to define the
specifics of this.

Meanwhile the IAB will work with the IESG and the ISOC to prepare a
proposal for the Protocol Supporting Organization likely to be required 
by the new corporation. We will also work on a proposal for open
procedures for the IETF appointments to this Organization and to the
Board of the proposed new IANA corporation. Finally we will work on a
proposal for a memorandum of understanding, or equivalent, between the
IETF and the IANA. IETF consensus will be sought for these proposals, 
most likely via the IETF process working group (the POISSON WG).

    Brian Carpenter (IAB Chair)
    September 30, 1998