Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-finlayson-umtp-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:04:09 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The UDP Multicast Tunneling Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Finlayson
	Filename	: draft-finlayson-umtp-03.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 29-Sep-98
	
Many Internet hosts - such as PCs - while capable of running multicast
applications, cannot access the MBone because (i) the router(s) that
connect them to the Internet do not yet support IP multicast routing, and
(ii) their operating systems cannot support a tunneled implementation of IP
multicast routing.
 
The ''UDP Multicast Tunneling Protocol'' (UMTP) enables such a host to
establish an 'ad hoc' connection to the MBone by tunneling multicast UDP
datagrams inside unicast UDP datagrams.  By using UDP, this tunneling can
be implemented as a 'user level' application, without requiring changes to
the host's operating system.  It is important to note, however, that this
tunneling mechanism is *not* a substitute for proper multicast routing, and
should be used *only* in environments where multicast routing cannot be
used instead.  This document describes this protocol, as is currently
implemented by the liveGate multicast tunneling server
(http://www.lvn.com/liveGate).

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-finlayson-umtp-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-finlayson-umtp-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-finlayson-umtp-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.