Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lloyd-ldap-svcs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:56:30 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Service Controls: LDAP-X.500 Alignment
	Author(s)	: A. Lloyd
	Filename	: draft-lloyd-ldap-svcs-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 21-Sep-98
	
This document defines service controls that extend the LDAPv3 [LDAP]
operations to provide a simple mechanism by which an LDAP client can
select master or replica directory information, control
chaining and specify other service requirements when connected to an
X.500 directory service. These service control mechanisms are not
required when LDAP clients are connected to a single(non X.500) LDAP
server because, for example, chaining [X.518]is not supported by these
servers.

Chaining protocols (DSP in X.500) also permit the extraction of
master or replica data from within the X.500 directory system and
provide this to the client (via LDAP) without the need for client based
LDAP referrals to different servers.
 
In addition, the controls proposed provide major step in the 'control'
alignment of LDAP and DAP and their use of X.500. This will permit
functional consistency to be achieved in directory enabled applications
that use LDAP for access.
  
In order to distinguish this functionality from LDAP V3 capable systems,
an upgrade to LDAP V4 is also proposed.

The key words 'MUST', 'MUST NOT', 'REQUIRED', 'SHALL', 'SHALL NOT',
'SHOULD', 'SHOULD NOT', 'RECOMMENDED',  and 'MAY' in this document are
to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [KEYWORDS].

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lloyd-ldap-svcs-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lloyd-ldap-svcs-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lloyd-ldap-svcs-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.