Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gellens-submit-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 11:04:00 -0400

Note: This revision reflects comments received during the last call period.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Message Submission
	Author(s)	: R. Gellens, J. Klensin 
	Filename	: draft-gellens-submit-12.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 04-Sep-98
	
    SMTP was defined as a message *transfer* protocol, that is, a means
    to route (if needed) and deliver finished (complete) messages.
    Message Transfer Agents (MTAs) are not supposed to alter the message
    text, except to add 'Received', 'Return-Path', and other header
    fields as required by [SMTP-MTA].
 
    However, SMTP is now also widely used as a message *submission*
    protocol, that is, a means for message user agents (MUAs) to
    introduce new messages into the MTA routing network.  The process
    which accepts message submissions from MUAs is termed a Message
    Submission Agent (MSA).

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gellens-submit-12.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-submit-12.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gellens-submit-12.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.