Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lloyd-dir-cert-stat-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:55:35 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DIRECTORY SUPPORTED CERTIFICATE STATUS OPTIONS
	Author(s)	: A. Lloyd
	Filename	: draft-lloyd-dir-cert-stat-01.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 15-Sep-98
	
This Internet Draft specifies some proposed enhancements to the X.500
information schema and matching rules to support Certificate path
 processing, certificate status and CRL mechanisms. These
 enhancements provide advantages over existing Certificate validation
 and CRL mechanisms.  In particular, the mechanisms proposed can:
 
(a) reduce the need for unnecessarily fetching CRLs;
(b) allow certificate status-CRL evaluation time to be improved;
(c) provide a directory supported certificate test and fetch
    capability;
(d) better support use of certificates in multiple environments with
    different CRL arrangements.
(e) simplify the client software in the areas of certificate path,
    certificate validity and CRL processing.
(f) provide the client a range of trust options when validating
    certificates.
(g) provide a range of implementation options so that gradual adoption
    is possible.
 
This document is submitted for consideration as the basis of possible
future IETF/ITU standardization.  Please send comments on this
document to the [email-masked] mail list.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lloyd-dir-cert-stat-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lloyd-dir-cert-stat-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lloyd-dir-cert-stat-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.