Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-partridge-buffering-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:56:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: ACK Spacing for High Delay-Bandwidth Paths 
                          with Insufficient Buffering
	Author(s)	: C. Partridge
	Filename	: draft-partridge-buffering-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 21-Sep-98
	
   Suppose you want TCP implementations to be able to fill a 155 Mb/s
   path.  Further suppose that the path includes a satellite in a
   geosynchronous orbit, so the round trip delay through the path is at
   least 500 ms, and the delay-bandwidth product is 9.7 megabytes or
   more.
 
   If we further assume the TCP implementations support TCP Large
   Windows and PAWS (many do), so they can manage 9.7 MB TCP window,
   then we can be sure the TCP will eventually start sending at full
   path rate (unless the satellite channel is very lossy).  But it may
   take a long time to get the TCP up to full speed.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-partridge-buffering-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-partridge-buffering-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-partridge-buffering-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.