Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-richardson-ipsec-pmtu-discov-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 11:02:20 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Path MTU discovery in the presence of security gateways
	Author(s)	: M. Richardson
	Filename	: draft-richardson-ipsec-pmtu-discov-02.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 04-Sep-98
	
This document describes the problem of getting accurate Path MTU infor-
mation in the presence of untrusted routers. Typical Path MTU discovery
is done by sending packets with the don't fragment bit set, and listen-
ing for ICMP messages from routers that want to fragment the packets.
Unfortunately, these messages could be forged, and IPsec based security
system(s) can not pass make direct use of these messages. An alternate,
backwards compatible algorithm is suggested.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-richardson-ipsec-pmtu-discov-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-richardson-ipsec-pmtu-discov-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-richardson-ipsec-pmtu-discov-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.