Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 10:34:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Authentication Scheme Extensions to NTP
	Author(s)	: D. Mills, T. Glassey, M. McNeil
	Filename	: draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 01-Sep-98
	
The purpose of this document is to extend the NTP/SNTP authentication
scheme to support additional features, including Public Key
Infrastructure (PKI) cryptography, in order to certify the identity
of the sender and verify the integrity of the data included in an
NTP message, as well as provide support for other facilities such
as a timestamp and non-repudiation service.
 
This document describes a new extension field to support new services
for securely binding sender credentials to the NTP message stream.
One or more of these fields can be included in the NTP header to
support designated security services or other services should they
become necessary. The presence of these fields does not affect the
operation of the NTP timekeeping model and protocol in any other way.
 
Additional fields may provide means to securely bind arbitrary client
data to be signed along with the other information in the message.
The ability to sign arbitrary client data provides an important non-
repudiation feature that allows this data to be cryptographically bound
to an NTP timestamp, together with sender credentials and signature.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.