Subject: Protocol Action: The PPP DES Encryption Protocol, Version 2 (DESE-bis) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:49:23 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The PPP DES Encryption
Protocol, Version 2 (DESE-bis)'
<draft-ietf-pppext-des-encrypt-v2-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary
 
  The PPP Encryption Control Protocol (ECP) provides a method to
  negotiate and utilize encryption protocols over PPP encapsulated
  links. This document provides specific details for the use of the DES
  standard for encrypting PPP encapsulated packets.

  The purpose of this draft is both to show how one specifies the
  necessary details of a "data" or "bearer" protocol given the context
  of the generic PPP Encryption Control Protocol, and also to provide
  at least one commonly-understood means of secure data transmission
  between PPP implementations.

  The DES encryption algorithm is a well studied, understood and widely
  implemented encryption algorithm. The DES cipher was designed for
  efficient implementation in hardware, and consequently may be
  relatively expensive to implement in software.  However, its
  pervasiveness makes it seem like a reasonable choice for a "model"
  encryption protocol.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group last call produced no issues with this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten
  of the IESG.