Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 10:45:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Duplicate IP Address Detection Based on Gratuitous ARP
	Author(s)	: T. Jou
	Filename	: draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-01.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 08-Sep-98
	
   The Address Resolution Protocol defines the way to resolve the
   hardware address of a host on a broadcast network based on the
   target host's IP address. The hardware address is always unique
   for each hardware module, but no guarantee on the uniqueness of IP
   addresses. With current trend of connecting every hosts,
   the chance of the same IP address is used on different hosts is
   increasing due to users' or network administrators' mistake,
   or a configuration error from an IP address assigning program such
   as a BOOTP or DHCP server. This memo is to define an extention to
   the original protocol to prevent a newly configured host from making
   any damage to the host that has been the owner of the same IP
   address. The solution is based on using the de-facto gratuitous ARP
   packet plus modification on processing of this packet.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.