Subject: Protocol Action: The PPP Triple-DES Encryption Protocol (3DESE) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:29:54 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The PPP Triple-DES Encryption
Protocol (3DESE)' <draft-ietf-pppext-3des-encrypt-01.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol
Extensions Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan
and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
  The PPP Encryption Control Protocol (ECP) provides a method to
  negotiate and utilize encryption protocols over PPP encapsulated
  links. This document provides specific details for the use of the
  Triple-DES standard (3DES) for encrypting PPP encapsulated packets.

  The DES encryption algorithm is a well studied, understood and widely
  implemented encryption algorithm. Triple-DES means that this algorithm
  is applied three times on the data to be encrypted before it is sent
  over the line. The variant used is the DES-EDE3-CBC, which is
  described in more detail in the text.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group last call produced no issues with this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten
  of the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please replace the 3DES Configuration Option type listed on page 4 as
"tbd" with the assigned value "2"