Subject: RFC 2416 on TCP with Four Packets into Three Buffers

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 12:33:05 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

	RFC 2416:  

        Title:	    When TCP Starts Up With Four Packets Into Only
		    Three Buffers
	Author(s):  T. Shepard, C. Partridge
	Status:     Informational
	Date:       September 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      7
        Characters: 12663
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None
        
        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2416.txt

This memo is to document a simple experiment.  The experiment showed
that in the case of a TCP receiver behind a 9600 bps modem link at
the edge of a fast Internet where there are only 3 buffers before the
modem (and the fourth packet of a four-packet start will surely be
dropped), no significant degradation in performance is experienced by
a TCP sending with a four-packet start when compared with a normal
slow start (which starts with just one packet).

This document is a product of the TCP Implementation Working Group of
the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.