Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chandhok-listid-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:29:08 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: List-Id:  A Structured Field and Namespace for 
                          the Identification of Mailing Lists
	Author(s)	: R. Chandhok, G. Wenger
	Filename	: draft-chandhok-listid-02.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 21-Oct-98
	
    Software that handles electronic mailing list messages (servers
    and user agents) needs a way to reliably identify messages that
    belong to a particular mailing list.  With the advent of list
    management headers [RFC2369] it has become even more important
    to provide an identifier to use to identify a mailing list
    regardless of the particular host that serves as the list
    processor at any given time.
 
    The List-Id header provides a standard location for such an
    identifier.  In addition, a namespace for list identifiers
    based on fully qualified domain names is described.  This
    namespace is intended to guarantee uniqueness for list owners
    who require it, while allowing for a less rigorous namespace
    for experimental and personal use.
 
    By including the List-Id field, list servers can make it easier
    for mail clients to provide automated tools for users to
    perform list functions.  The list identifier can serve as a key
    to make many automated processing tasks easier, and hence more
    widely available.

    The key words ''MUST'', ''MUST NOT'', ''REQUIRED'', ''SHALL'',
    ''SHALL NOT'', ''SHOULD'', ''SHOULD NOT'', ''RECOMMENDED'',
    ''MAY'', and ''OPTIONAL'' in this document are to be
    interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-chandhok-listid-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chandhok-listid-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chandhok-listid-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.