Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:39:14 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol--PPTP
	Author(s)	: K. Hamzeh, G. Pall, W. Verthein, J. Taarud, 
                          W. Little, G. Zorn
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-05.txt
	Pages		: 54
	Date		: 14-Oct-98
	
   This document specifies a protocol which allows the  Point  to  Point
   Protocol  (PPP)  to be tunneled through an IP network.  PPTP does not
   specify any changes to the PPP protocol but rather  describes  a  new
   vehicle for carrying PPP.  A client-server architecture is defined in
   order to decouple functions which exist  in  current  Network  Access
   Servers  (NAS) and support Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).  The PPTP
   Network Server (PNS) is  envisioned  to  run  on  a  general  purpose
   operating  system while the client, referred to as a PPTP Access Con-
   centrator (PAC) operates on a dial access platform.  PPTP specifies a
   call-control  and management protocol which allows the server to con-
   trol access for dial-in circuit switched  calls  originating  from  a
   PSTN  or  ISDN  or to initiate outbound circuit-switched connections.
   PPTP uses an enhanced GRE (Generic Routing  Encapsulation)  mechanism
   to  provide  a  flow- and congestion-controlled encapsulated datagram
   service for carrying PPP packets.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-05.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-05.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.