Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipaddressassign-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:21:52 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPNG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A method for flexible IPv6 address assignments
	Author(s)	: M. Blanchet
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipaddressassign-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 22-Oct-98
	
This draft presents a method for assigning IP address prefixes that
enables the IP assigning autority - the organisation that assigns IP
address prefixes to other organisations, like a registry to an
internet service provider or an internet service provider to a client
organisation connected to its network -to postpone the final decision
of prefix length by keeping space between assigned bits of the
different parts of the IP address.  This enables the assigning
autority to change the different part lengths of the prefix (TLA (top
level aggregator), subTLA, NLA(next-level aggregator) SLA (site-level
aggregator), ...) even after allocated spaces. This scheme is
applicable to both IPv4 and IPv6 but is envisionned mainly for IPv6
where the address space is larger and more flexible.  It is a
generalization of RFC1219 and can be used for IPv6 assignments based
on RFC2373 and RFC2374.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipaddressassign-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipaddressassign-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipaddressassign-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.