Subject: WG REVIEW: Multicast Source Distribution Protocol (msdp)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:35:19 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Routing Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet.

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes:

Description of Working Group:
 
The MSDP working group will be charged with standardizing MSDP, the 
Multicast Source Distribution Protocol. MSDP is a near-term solution for 
connecting shared trees without the need for inter-domain shared trees 
(it is envisioned that the Border Gateway Multicast Protocol, BGMP, is 
the long term solution). MSDP is applicable to shared tree protocols 
such as PIM-SM and CBT, as well as other protocols that keep active 
source information at the borders (e.g., MOSPF or PIM-DM with DWRs). 
This working group will interact closely with both MBONED where 
operational issues arise, and IDMR where necessary for protocol issues.

Finally, it is envisioned that this working group will have a fairly 
short live span.