Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:58:57 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Simple Public Key Infrastructure Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: SPKI Certificate Theory
	Author(s)	: C. Ellison, W. Frantz, B. Lampson, 
                          R. Rivest, B. Thomas, T. Ylonen
	Filename	: draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-03.txt
	Pages		: 45
	Date		: 26-Oct-98
	
   The SPKI Working Group has developed a standard form for digital
   certificates whose main purpose is authorization rather than
   authentication.  These structures bind either names or explicit
   authorizations to keys or other objects.  The binding to a key can be
   directly to an explicit key, or indirectly through the hash of the
   key or a name for it.  The name and authorization structures can be
   used separately or together.  We use S-expressions as the standard
   format for these certificates and define a canonical form for those
   S-expressions.  As part of this development, a mechanism for deriving
   authorization decisions from a mixture of certificate types was
   developed and is presented in this document.
 
   This document gives the theory behind SPKI certificates and ACLs
   without going into technical detail about those structures or their
   uses.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.