Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:33:35 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Automaticly Choosing an IP Address in 
                          an Ad-Hoc IPv4 Network
	Author(s)	: R. Troll
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 19-Oct-98
	
     With operating systems appearing in more and more devices, as well
     as computers appearing in more and more aspects of everyday life,
     communication between networked devices is increasingly important.
     The communication mechanism between these devices must be able to
     not only support the office LAN environment, but must also scale to
     larger WANS and the internet.
 
     This draft describes a method by which a host may automaticly give
     itself a link-local IPv4 address, so that it will be able to use IP
     applications in the absence of an IP address management mechanism,
     such as DHCP.  This mechanism is in use today by a few operating
     systems, and additional information on those implementations is
     also provided.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.