Subject: WG Review: Message Tracking Protocol (msgtrk)

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 07:34:26 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Description of Working Group:
 
The Message Tracking Working Group will design a diagnostic protocol for 
a message originator to request information about the submission, 
transport, and delivery of a message regardless of its delivery status.

The group will produce two standards track documents: a message tracking 
model document and a protocol document. The model will state how message 
tracking is enabled, identify the entities involved, define how and when 
message tracking requests are issued and answered, define approaches for 
inter-domain message tracking, and address security issues. The 
submission, transport, and delivery of RFC 822bis messages will be 
tracked from the time such messages enter the messaging network up until 
the time they are discharged (e.g. to an IMAP server, to an end-user's 
mailbox, or a proprietary mail system).

The group will design one or more protocols to implement message 
tracking as described above.