Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:33:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: DHCP Option to Disable Stateless Auto-Configuration 
                          in IPv4 Clients
	Author(s)	: R. Troll
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-02.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 19-Oct-98
	
     Operating Systems are now attempting to support ad-hoc networks of
     two or more systems, while keeping user configuration at a minimum.
     To accommodate this, in the absence of a central configuration
     mechanism (DHCP), some OS's are automaticly choosing an IP address
     which will allow them to communicate with other hosts running the
     same OS.  However, some sites depend on the fact that a host with
     no DHCP response will have no IP address.  This draft describes a
     mechanism by which DHCP servers are able to tell clients that they
     do not have an IP address to offer, and that the client should not
     auto-configure it's own.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.