Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-villamizar-isis-omp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:21:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IS-IS Optimized Multipath (ISIS-OMP)
	Author(s)	: C. Villamizar, T. Li
	Filename	: draft-villamizar-isis-omp-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 13-Oct-98
	
  IS--IS may form multiple equal cost paths between points.  This is
  true of any link state protocol.  In the absence of any explicit sup-
  port to take advantage of this, a path may be chosen arbitrarily.
  Techniques have been utilized to divide traffic somewhat evenly among
  the available paths.  These techniques have been referred to as Equal
  Cost Multipath (ECMP). An unequal division of traffic among the avail-
  able paths is generally preferable.  Routers generally have no knowl-
  edge of traffic loading on distant links and therefore have no basis
  to optimize the allocation of traffic.
 
  Optimized Mulitpath is a extension to IS--IS, utilizing additional
  Type/Length/Value (TLV) tuples to distribute loading information.  An
  algorithm to adjust forwarding, gradually enough to insure stability
  yet provide reasonably fast adjustment when needed, is provided in the
  related document OSPF--OMP [5].  The IS--IS encapsulation and minor
  differences in the dynamics of ISIS--OMP relative to OSPF--OMP are
  described here.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-villamizar-isis-omp-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-villamizar-isis-omp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-villamizar-isis-omp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.