Subject: Protocol Action: Advancement of MIB specifications on the IETF Standards Track to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 08:03:08 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft Advancement of MIB
specifications on the IETF Standards Track
<draft-iesg-odell-mibtest-02.txt> as a BCP.  This document has been
reviewed by, but is not the product of, an IETF working group. The IESG
contact persons are Harald Alvestrand and Bert Wijnen.

Technical Summary
 
   The Internet Standards Process [BCP 9] requires that all IETF
   Standards Track specifications must have "multiple, independent, and
   interoperable implementations" before they can be advanced beyond
   Proposed Standard status. This document specifies the process which
   the IESG will use to determine if a MIB document meets these
   requirements.  It also discusses the rationale for this process.

Working Group Summary

   There was an explicit posting to the wgchairs mailing list to alert
   all chairs of WGs which have ongoing MIB work that this document
   was in IETF Last Call. This was explicitly done so that people
   who are impacted by this document could review.

   During IETF Last Call, a few comments have been received that have
   been answered. One comment resulted in a minor clarification to
   use the term "MIB specification" as opposed to just "MIB".

Document Quality

   This spec has been edited by Mike O'Dell and Scott Bradner and
   has been reviewed by Bert Wijnen and Harald Alvestrand.