Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-popp-realname-hfn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 10:21:23 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The RealName System: a Human Friendly Naming scheme
	Author(s)	: N. Popp, L. Masinter
	Filename	: draft-popp-realname-hfn-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 30-Sep-98
	
  The notion of a 'Human Friendly Naming scheme' (HFN) has been
  discussed in a variety of contexts, as an alternative to the use of
  URIs or URNs as a way of designating Internet resources (see [RFC
  2276], for example).
 
  This document introduces the RealName system, and its use as a
  HFN. It provides a mapping for RealNames into a URN namespace ('rn')
  as well as a URL scheme ('vnd.rn').
 
  This is a preliminary draft, intended to raise the discussion of
  HFNs and the uses of RealNames as an initial example in creating a
  standard for access and resolution.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-popp-realname-hfn-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-popp-realname-hfn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-popp-realname-hfn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.