Subject: RFC 2438 on Advancement of MIB specifications

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:48:46 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 27:
	RFC 2438:

        Title:	    Advancement of MIB specifications on the IETF
		    Standards Track
	Author(s):  M. O'Dell, H. Alvestrand, B. Wijnen, S. Bradner
	Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       October 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      7
        Characters: 13633
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None
        I-D Tag:    draft-iesg-odell-mibtest-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2438.txt

The Internet Standards Process [1] requires that all IETF Standards
Track specifications must have "multiple, independent, and
interoperable implementations" before they can be advanced beyond
Proposed Standard status.  This document specifies the process which
the IESG will use to determine if a MIB specification document meets
these requirements.  It also discusses the rationale for this process.
 
This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.