Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-widjaja-mpls-vc-merge-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:38:34 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Performance Issues in VC-Merge Capable ATM LSRs
	Author(s)	: I. Widjaja, A. Elwalid 
	Filename	: draft-widjaja-mpls-vc-merge-01.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 09-Oct-98
	
   VC merging allows many routes to be mapped to the same VC label,
   thereby providing a scalable mapping method that can support
   thousands of edge routers. VC merging requires reassembly buffers so
   that cells belonging to different packets intended for the same
   destination do not interleave with each other.  This document
   investigates the impact of VC merging on the additional buffer
   required for the reassembly buffers and other buffers.  The main
   result indicates that VC merging incurs a minimal overhead compared
   to non-VC merging in terms of additional buffering. Moreover, the
   overhead decreases as utilization increases, or as the traffic
   becomes more bursty.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-widjaja-mpls-vc-merge-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-widjaja-mpls-vc-merge-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-widjaja-mpls-vc-merge-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.