Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-carlson-nhrp-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:38:57 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Guidelines for Next Hop Client (NHC) Developers
	Author(s)	: R. Carlson, L. Winkler
	Filename	: draft-carlson-nhrp-02.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 14-Oct-98
	
This document provides guidelines for developers of the Next Hop
Resolution Protocol Clients (NHC).  It assumes that the clients are
directly connected to an ATM based NBMA network.  The same principles
will apply to clients connected to other types of NBMA networks.  The
intent is to define the interaction between the NHC code and the
TCP/IP protocol stack of the local host operating system.  The NHC is
capable of sending NHRP requests to a Next Hop Resolution Protocol
Server (NHS) to resolve both inter and intra LIS addresses.  The NHS
reply may be positive (ACK) indicating a short-cut path is available
or negative (NAK) indicating that a shortcut is not available and the
routed path must be used.  The NHC must cache (maintain state) for
both the ACK and NAK replies in order to use the correct shortcut or
routed path.  The NAK reply must be cached to avoid making repeated
requests to the NHS when the routed path is being used.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-carlson-nhrp-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carlson-nhrp-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-carlson-nhrp-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.