Subject: Protocol Action: BGP Route Flap Damping to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 11:42:53 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'BGP Route Flap Damping'
<draft-ietf-idr-route-damp-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
  This draft describes a mechanism to reduce excessive routing
  traffic passed between BGP (or IDRP) routing peers.
  This excessive routing traffic is caused by network instability 
  which is informally referred to as "route flapping".
  A key feature of the mechanism is that it reduces
  the load on routers by eliminating excessive routing updates but
  does not affect route convergence time for relatively stable
  routes. The mechanism also prevents sustained routing oscillations.

  The techniques described in this draft are now widely deployed
  throughout the Internet.

Working Group Summary

  This draft was submitted with strong working group support.

Protocol Quality

  This spec has been reviewed by Rob Coltun. There are a number
  of independent implementations. The techniques described in this
  draft are used throughout the Internet today.