Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-borella-aatn-dnat-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:16:29 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Distributed Network Address Translation
	Author(s)	: M. Borella, D. Grabelsky, I. Sidhu, B. Petry 
	Filename	: draft-borella-aatn-dnat-01.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 20-Oct-98
	
   NAT (Network Address Translation) has been proposed to extend the
   lifetime of IPv4 by allowing one or more subnets to exist behind a
   single IP address.  It is desirable to support dozens, if not
   hundreds, of nodes on a NAT subnet.  As it is currently defined, NAT
   may not gracefully scale beyond networks containing a few dozen
   nodes.  In particular, the computational burden placed on the NAT
   router may be significant, especially if the router is shared by
   several NAT-enabled subnets.  Additionally, NAT requires that support
   for many protocols be specifically programmed into the translation
   mechanism. In this document, we introduce DNAT (Distributed Network
   Address Translation), an alternative to NAT.  In particular, DNAT
   will eliminate all address and port translation at the router,
   providing an application independent mechanism for sharing an IP
   address amongst many hosts while providing end-to-end connectivity.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-borella-aatn-dnat-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-borella-aatn-dnat-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-borella-aatn-dnat-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.