Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:22:58 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Address Translators Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: DNS extensions to Network Address Translators (DNS_ALG)
	Author(s)	: P. Srisuresh, G. Tsirtsis, P. Akkiraju, A. Heffernan 
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-01.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 23-Oct-98
	
   Domain Name Service(DNS) provides name to address mapping within
   a routing class (ex: IP). Network Address Translators (NATs)
   provide transparent routing between hosts in disparate routing
   realms of the same routing class. Typically, NATs exist at the
   border of a stub domain, hiding private addresses from external
   addresses. This document identifies the need for DNS extensions
   to NATs and outlines how a DNS Application Level Gateway (DNS_ALG)
   can meet the need. DNS_ALG modifies payload transparently to alter
   address mapping of hosts as DNS packets cross one routing realm
   into another. The document also illustrates the operation of
   DNS_ALG with specific examples.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.