Subject: Document Action: Language Tagging in Unicode Plain Text to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 08:31:46 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Language Tagging in Unicode
Plain Text' <draft-whistler-plane14-00.txt> as an Informational RFC.
This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Keith Moore.

Technical Summary
 
  This document specifies a mechanism for language tagging in plain
  text using the UNICODE character set. The mechanism uses specific
  code-points in the UNICODE character set to identifies languages,
  and those characters (code-points) are distinguishable from the ones
  used in the plain text itself.

Working Group Summary

  This was not a product of an IETF Working Group, but significant
  discussion has been held on a UNICODE implementors mailing list.
  On that list, some controversy around the solution -- if the correct
  specifications were used for different languages where RFC 1766 is
  referenced. Consensus was though reached around this solution.

Protocol Quality

  The specification has been reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom, and, more
  important, by the Unicode Consortium:

	At the last UTC meeting, July 29-31 in Seattle, the UTC took
	a resolution to the effect that... they are still supportive of
	the Plane 14 tagging proposal <draft-whistler-plane14-00.txt>.

       Rick McGowan
       Technical Director
       Unicode, Inc.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please change the text of the Security Section to read:

  There are no known security issues raised by this document.

and add the following as an IESG NOTE:

  This document has been accepted by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 in meeting #34 to
  be submitted as a recommendation from WG2 for inclusion in Plane 14 in
  part 2 of ISO/IEC 10646.