Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-villamizar-mpls-omp-00.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:58:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: MPLS Optimized Multipath (MPLS--OMP)
	Author(s)	: C. Villamizar
	Filename	: draft-villamizar-mpls-omp-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 20-Nov-98
	
  MPLS ingress routers may establish one or more explicit paths to a
  given egress to the MPLS domain.  Load can be balanced across a com-
  plex topology using MPLS and the technique referred to here as MPLS-
  -OMP (Multiprotocol Label Switching -- Optimized Multipath).  The
  technique requires the use of an interior gateway protocol (IGP) such
  as OSPF or ISIS with extensions to flood loading information.  It re-
  quires the ingress router be capable of computing a hash based on the
  IP source and destination and selecting a forwarding entry based on
  the outcome of the hash with a sufficiently fine level of granularity,
  then load can be balanced across a complex topology.
 
  MPLS Optimized Mulitpath can be considered an extension to MPLS or a
  specific usage of MPLS. MPLS-OMP requires no additions or modification
  to the MPLS protocols.  MPLS-OMP does require that the IGP be capa-
  ble of flooding loading information as described in the OSPF-OMP and
  ISIS-OMP documents.  At the MPLS ingress an algorithm is applied to
  select alternate paths where needed and adjust forwarding.  Forwarding
  is adjusted gradually enough to insure stability yet fast enough to
  track long term changes in loading.  The load adjustment algorithm
  itself is fully defined in a related document describing OSPF--OMP.
  The application of this technique to MPLS is described here.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-villamizar-mpls-omp-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-villamizar-mpls-omp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-villamizar-mpls-omp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.