Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-itu-sg2-qos-routing-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:33:15 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Routing of Multimedia Connections when Interworking 
                          with PSTN, ATM, and IP Networks
	Author(s)	: G. Ash, Y. Lee
	Filename	: draft-ash-itu-sg2-qos-routing-00.txt
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 19-Nov-98
	
This contribution presents the ongoing work in ITU-T SG2 Question
2/2 on Draft Recommendation E.MM 'Routing of Multimedia Connections When
Interworking with PSTN, ATM, and IP Networks.'  As an outcome of the
November 1998 ITU-T SG2 meeting in Geneva, it was agreed to send a Liaison
Statement with Draft Recommendation E.MM attached to the ATM Forum and IETF.
The objectives of the liaison are to a) bring this ITU-T routing work to the
attention of these other standards organizations, b) communicate ITU-T's
understanding of the routing interworking issues involved between network
types, such as path selection and quality of service resource management, c)
gain information on the views of the other fora on these issues and identify
any additional issues, and d) collaborate on developing the work and provide
cross-communication as the work is progressed in each organization.
In the contribution, the most effective routing functionalities employed
within each network type are recommended for application across network
types, to enable and ease interworking and include the following: a) the
E.164/NSAP based numbering/addressing method applied successfully in PSTN
and ATM networks, b) the automatic generation of routing tables based on
network topology and status applied successfully in PSTN, ATM, and IP
networks, c) the dynamic path selection methods applied successfully in
PSTNs, d) the routing table design information exchange messaging applied
successfully in PSTNs, e) the QoS resource management methods applied
successfully in PSTNs, f) the automatic update and synchronization of
topology database methods applied successfully in ATM and IP networks, g)
the topology update information exchange messaging methods applied
successfully in ATM and IP networks, and h) the connection control signaling
methods applied successfully in ATM networks.  The latter includes
originating switch controlled (source) routing, specification of via and
terminating switches in a designated transit list (DTL) parameter in the
setup message, and return of control to the originating switch with a
crankback parameter in the release message.  Adapting these capabilities, or
their equivalents, for use within each network type and for interworking
between network types builds on these well studied, documented, deployed,
and proven methods.  It also increases the likelihood of backward
compatibility to existing capabilities as new interworking standards are
adopted and implemented.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ash-itu-sg2-qos-routing-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-itu-sg2-qos-routing-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ash-itu-sg2-qos-routing-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.