Subject: Protocol Action: PPP LCP Internationalization Configuration Option to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 07:21:32 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'PPP LCP Internationalization
Configuration Option' <draft-ietf-pppext-lcp-charset-07.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Point-to-Point
Protocol Extensions Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are
Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) provides a standard method for
transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links.  PPP
also defines an extensible Link Control Protocol (LCP), which allows
negotiation of an Authentication Protocol for authenticating its peer
before allowing Network Layer protocols to transmit over the link.

Both LCP and Authentication Protocol packets may contain text which is
intended to be human-readable.  This document defines an LCP
configuration option for the negotiation of character set and language
usage, as required by RFC 2277.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus for this approach in the WG and no issues were
raised during the Last Call.

Protocol Quality

This protocol has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.