Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-policy-framework-pfdl-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:20:17 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Policy Framework Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Policy Framework Definition Language
	Author(s)	: J. Strassner, S. Schleimer
	Filename	: draft-ietf-policy-framework-pfdl-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 23-Nov-98
	
Recently, the IETF has developed protocols that classify packets in
order to treat certain classes or flows of packets in a particular
way compared to other classes or flows of packets. The successful
wide-scale deployment of these protocols depends on the ability to
administer and distribute consistent policy information to different
types of network devices as well as hosts and servers that participate
in policy decision making, administration, distribution and control.
There is a clear need to develop a scalable framework for policy
administration and distribution that will enable interoperability
among multiple devices and device types that must work together to
achieve a consistent implementation of policy.
This document defines a language, called the Policy Framework
Definition Language (PFDL), that maps requirements for services to be
provided by the network as defined in a business specification (e.g.,
an SLA) to a common vendor- and device-independent intermediate form.
This enables policy information and specifications to be shared among
the heterogeneous components that comprise the policy framework, and
allows multiple vendors to use multiple devices to implement that
framework. The PFDL is the common 'currency' that is exchanged between
these heterogeneous components to enable them all to perform their
function in providing, securing, distributing, and administering
policy. The PFDL becomes the way to ensure that multiple vendors
interpret the policy the same way while enabling vendors to provide
value-added services.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-policy-framework-pfdl-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-framework-pfdl-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-framework-pfdl-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.