Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pan-diameter-sip-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:20:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DIAMETER: Policy and Accounting Extension for SIP
	Author(s)	: P. Pan, H. Schulzrinne, P. Calhoun
	Filename	: draft-pan-diameter-sip-01.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 18-Nov-98
	
   This document describes a policy and accounting information exchange
   mechanism between a DIAMETER policy server and a SIP proxy server.
   A DIAMETER server is responsible for maintaining a user policy and
   accounting database and a means to update it.  A SIP proxy server
   needs to contact a DIAMETER server during multimedia session setup
   and teardown time to perform admission control and accounting tasks.
 
   To provide proper data-forwarding level service guarantees to the SIP
   sessions, the DIAMETER servers are also responsible for interfacing
   with the network resource management database.  However, this is
   beyond the scope of this document.
 
   The objectives of the proposed DIAMETER extension are 1) providing
   accurate accounting information, 2) flexible and 3) simple to
   implement.  The protocol does not make any assumption about policy
   and billing algorithms at DIAMETER servers.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pan-diameter-sip-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pan-diameter-sip-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pan-diameter-sip-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.