Subject: WG ACTION: Intrusion Detection Exchange Format (idwg)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:53:46 -0500

A new working group has been formed in the Security Area of the IETF.
Please contact the chairs for additional information.

Intrusion Detection Exchange Format (idwg)
------------------------------------------

 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Michael Erlinger <[email-masked]>
     Stuart Staniford-Chen <[email-masked]>
 
 Security Area Director(s): 
     Jeffrey Schiller  <[email-masked]>
     Marcus Leech  <[email-masked]>
 
 Security Area Advisor: 
     Jeffrey Schiller  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
     Archive:           http://www.semper.org/idwg-public/
 
Description of Working Group:
 
Security incidents are becoming more common and more serious, and 
intrusion detection systems are becoming of increasing commercial
importance.  Numerous intrusion detection systems are important in the 
market and different sites will select different vendors. Since 
incidents are often distributed over multiple sites, it is likely that
different aspects of a single incident will be visible to different
systems.  Thus it would be advantageous for diverse intrusion
detection systems to be able to share data on attacks in progress.

The purpose of the Intrusion Detection Working Group is to define data
formats and exchange procedures for sharing information of interest to
intrusion detection and response systems, and to management systems
which may need to interact with them.  The Intrusion Detection Working
Group will coordinate its efforts with other IETF Working Groups.

The outputs of this working group will be:

1. A requirements document, which describes the high-level functional
   requirements for communication between intrusion detection systems 
   and requirements for communication between intrusion detection 
   systems and with management systems, including the rationale for 
   those requirements.  Scenarios will be used to illustrate the 
   requirements.

2. A common intrusion language specification, which describes data 
   formats that satisfy the requirements.

3. A framework document, which identifies existing protocols best used
   for communication between intrusion detection systems, and describes
   how the devised data formats relate to them.
 
 Goals and Milestones: 
 
   Apr 99       Submit Requirements document as an Internet-Draft              

   Aug 99       Submit Framework and Language documents as Internet-Drafts     

   Aug 99       Submit Requirements document to IESG for consideration as an 
                RFC.                                                           

   Dec 99       Submit Framework and Language documents to IESG for 
                consideration as RFCs.