Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-binkrich-mobisec-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:38:25 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Security Considerations for Mobility and Firewalls
	Author(s)	: J. Binkley, J. Richardson
	Filename	: draft-binkrich-mobisec-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 11-Nov-98
	
In this paper we discuss various security issues concerning Mobile
Hosts using Mobile-IP or other mobility systems (DHCP standalone)
and current firewall technology.  We first present some recent
attacks on the Internet and what they might mean for mobile systems
like Mobile-IP that rely on tunneling technologies.  We point out
that tunnels are a security threat and suggest how mobile systems
may be made 'less insecure' with the use of IP layer security
(IPSEC) as one means for creating Virtual Private Networks.  The
goal is to describe a security model wherein mobile systems can
work across the Internet and not just as an interior routing protocol
within one security and/or interior routing domain.  Both the
protection of Mobile Systems abroad and of Security Enclaves that
tolerate mobile visitors must be considered.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-binkrich-mobisec-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-binkrich-mobisec-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-binkrich-mobisec-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.