Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-iptel-pgrp-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 12:00:04 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Telephony Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A Framework for a Peer Gatekeeper Routing Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Davis
	Filename	: draft-ietf-iptel-pgrp-framework-00.txt
	Pages		: 32
	Date		: 16-Nov-98
	
   Within the ITU H.323 recommendation, the gatekeeper is a central
   point of communication for H.323 elements within a zone. All elements
   within the zone establish a communication channel with the gatekeeper
   over a registration, admission, and status (RAS) channel. Elements
   within a zone register with the gatekeeper and are subsequently able
   to communicate with other elements in the zone, or outside of the
   zone.
 
   What is needed in addition to the normal registration and connection
   admission procedures of H.323 is a means of acquiring information
   about elements in other zones. This document describes the framework
   for a peer gatekeeper routing protocol (pgrp) which allows
   gatekeepers to exchange information with other gatekeepers about
   elements in their respective zones.
 
   PGRP is a protocol supports the exchange of information among
   gatekeepers which may be used to make call routing decisions in a
   network. PGRP attempts to extend reliability concepts from
   telecommunications by incorporating maintenance state information
   exchange. This allows call routing decisions to be based upon the
   operational state of elements in the network. This feature is
   particularly useful in the H.323 gatekeeper mediated call model where
   a call may be completed to a pool of connection endpoints. An example
   of such a scenario is in the use of an H.323 to connect telecom end
   offices which connect to multiple H.323 gateways. In this context,
   pgrp is also able to support call distribution to balance the call
   load among the connection gateways serving an end office.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-iptel-pgrp-framework-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-pgrp-framework-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-pgrp-framework-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.