Subject: Protocol Action: RIP Version 2 Carrying Additional Information to Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 11:39:48 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the following:

 o RIP Version 2 Carrying Additional Information
   <draft-ietf-ripv2-protocol-v2-06.txt> as a Standard.

   This document replaces RFC1723, currently a Draft Standard.

 o RIP Version 2 Protocol Applicabilty Statment <RFC1722> as an
   Standard.

These documents are the product of the RIP Version II Working Group.
The IESG contact person is Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary

 RIP version 2 is the successor to the traditional RIP routing protocol
 for IP.  It is a simple distance vector routing protocol.  While it has
 many significant limitations, there are a large range of environments in
 which RIP is a sufficient answer.  RIP version 2 brings RIP enough
 capabilities to cope with the base routing requirements of the modern
 internet.

Working Group Summary

 The working group strongly supported this work, and there was no
 measurable objection.

Protocol Quality

 This spec has been reviewed by Joel M. Halpern, former Routing Area
 Director, as well as Rob Coltun (current Area Director) and Scott Bradner. It is 
 sound, and there are multiple implementations of all features.