Subject: Protocol Action: HTTP Extensions for Distributed Authoring -- WEBDAV to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:45:14 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'HTTP Extensions for
Distributed Authoring -- WEBDAV' <draft-ietf-webdav-protocol-10.txt> as
a Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the WWW
Distributed Authoring and Versioning Working Group.

Note: this document was originally Last Called with the title
'Extensions for Distributed Authoring and Versioning on the World Wide
Web -- WEBDAV' which was changed at the request of the AD.

The IESG contact persons are Keith Moore and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary

 This document defines extensions to the HTTP/1.1 protocol (new
 methods, data types, request header fields, response header fields,
 and status codes) to allow for the creation and management of
 HTTP-accessible resources, properties of such resources, and named
 collections of such resources. The intent is to allow for such
 management via the HTTP protocol, as opposed to traditional means of
 management such as directly manipulating the underlying file store.

Working Group Summary

 This document represents a great deal of careful compromise, and
 describes a subset of the originally intended features, but the
 working group has reached consensus on the result.

Protocol Quality

 Keith Moore reviewed the spec for IESG.