Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-wu-mpls-diff-ext-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:44:51 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: MPLS Extensions for Differential Services
	Author(s)	: L. Wu, P. Cheval, P. Vaananen
	Filename	: draft-wu-mpls-diff-ext-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 23-Nov-98
	
   This document provides new message formats and the updates of the
   current MPLS LDP messages and MPLS RSVP messages to support the
   differentiated services (DiffServ).
 
   We first discuss the extension to the current MPLS architecture
   [MPLSARCH] to support differentiated services [DIFFARCH] over MPLS
   cloud.
 
   For a Behavior Aggregate (BA), we define  'Behavior Aggregate
   Selector (BAS)' which related to the forwarding queue behavior, and
   define 'Behavior Modifier (BM)' which related to the dropping
   behavior. Each DiffServ Per Hop Behavior (PHB) can be represented
   using either BAS only or combination of BAS and BM.
 
   In brief, we propose that all LSRs on the path of a single MPLS LSP
   apply the same Behavior Aggregate Selector (BAS) for the traffic
   carried in this LSP, on the basis of behavior class selector that is
   specified as part of LSP set-up process. Behavior Modifier (BM),
   carried as part of label encapsulation header, is used to further
   modify the  behavior selected by BAS. Behavior modifiers are carried
   as part of MPLS shim header, ATM cell header or Frame Relay header,
   and can be used to indicate, e.g. drop priority or congestion
   indication inside a single BAS.
 
   This proposal is not intended to prevent any potential future
   evolution that would accomodate multiple, different Behavior
   Aggregate Selectors (BAS) within a single LSP.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-wu-mpls-diff-ext-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wu-mpls-diff-ext-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wu-mpls-diff-ext-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.