Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gellens-format-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:02:46 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The TEXT/PLAIN FORMAT Parameter
	Author(s)	: R. Gellens
	Filename	: draft-gellens-format-02.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 18-Nov-98
	
    Interoperability problems have been observed with erroneous
    labelling of paragraph text as TEXT/PLAIN, and with various forms of
    'embarrassing line wrap.' (See section 4.)
 
    Attempts to deploy new media types, such as TEXT/ENRICHED [RICH] and
    TEXT/HTML [HTML] have suffered from a lack of backwards
    compatibility and an often hostile user reaction at the receiving
    end.
 
    What is desired is a format which is in all significant ways
    TEXT/PLAIN, and therefore is quite suitable for display as
    TEXT/PLAIN, and yet allows the sender to express to the receiver
    which lines can be considered a logical paragraph, and thus flowed
    (wrapped and joined) as appropriate.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gellens-format-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-format-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gellens-format-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.