Subject: RFC 2449 on POP3 Extension Mechanism

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:40:50 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2449:

        Title:	    POP3 Extension Mechanism
	Author(s):  R. Gellens, C. Newman, L. Lundblade
	Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       November 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked]
	Pages:      19
        Characters: 36017
        Updates:    1939
        I-D Tag:    draft-gellens-pop3ext-09.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2449.txt

This memo updates RFC 1939 [POP3] to define a mechanism to announce
support for optional commands, extensions, and unconditional server
behavior.  Included is an initial set of currently deployed
capabilities which vary between server implementations, and several
new capabilities (SASL, RESP-CODES, LOGIN-DELAY, PIPELINING, EXPIRE
and IMPLEMENTATION).  This document also extends POP3 error messages
so that machine parsable codes can be provided to the client.  An
initial set of response codes is included.  In addition, an [ABNF]
specification of POP3 commands and responses is defined.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.