Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:21:27 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Policy Framework Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Policy Framework Core Information Model
	Author(s)	: J. Strassner, E. Ellesson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-00.txt
	Pages		: 29
	Date		: 23-Nov-98
	
This document defines an object-oriented information model for
representing policies. This model defines structural information
of objects that comprise and control policy (the 'schema', or
class inheritance hierarchy) as well as information that describes
how different objects are related to other objects (the relationship
hierarchy).
 
The information model described in this document consists of five very
general classes:  policyGroup, policyRule, policyValidityPeriod,
policyCondition, and policyAction. While structural information is
represented very well in LDAP schemas, relationships between objects
are not. This document also defines how to map more abstract concepts,
such as relationships, into LDAP schemas. One mechanism to do this
mapping is to use auxiliary classes. This document defines one such
class, the policyRuleContainmentAuxClass.
 
While these classes are general, they are not abstract:  they can all
be instantiated.  Policy solutions for specific areas, such as
DiffServ and IPSec, may use the policyGroup, policyRule,
policyValidityPeriod, and policyRuleContainmentAuxClass classes
directly, while creating their own subclasses derived from
policyCondition and policyAction.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.