Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-murphy-bgp-secr-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:29:36 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: BGP Security Analysis
	Author(s)	: S. Murphy
	Filename	: draft-murphy-bgp-secr-02.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 23-Nov-98
	
BGP, along with a host of other infrastructure protocols designed before
the Internet environment became perilous, is designed with little
consideration for protection of the data it communicates or of its own
behavior.  There are no mechanisms in BGP to protect against attacks
that modify, delete, forge, or replay data, any of which has the
potential to be destructive of overall network routing behavior.
 
This internet draft discusses some of the security issues with BGP
routing data dissemination, and possible security solutions and the
costs of those solutions.  This internet draft does not discuss security
issues with forwarding of packets.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-murphy-bgp-secr-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murphy-bgp-secr-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-murphy-bgp-secr-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.