Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-casey-vpn-extns-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:20:23 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An extended IP VPN Architecture
	Author(s)	: L. Casey
	Filename	: draft-casey-vpn-extns-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 18-Nov-98
	
  This Internet Draft extends the framework for IP VPN's, as, for
  example, described by Heinanen et al.[1] and Gleeson et al [2],
  to include the concept of VPN Areas. VPN areas relate to the
  scoping of the mechanisms (membership dissemination, tunneling
  etc.) used to provide IP VPN service. VPN areas are a
  partitioning of the shared service provider's network. In
  general, all sites within a VPN area are one tunneled hop from
  each other, but multiple tunneled hops will be required for
  traffic between sites served by different VPN areas.
 
  Two reasons why Service Providers might partition their IP
  network into areas in support of VPN's are to achieve
  scalability, and to match administrative domain. VPN areas also
  facilitate the use of different IP VPN mechanisms in different
  parts of the network. There are multiple proposals for tunnel
  technology and discovery mechanisms for IP VPN's. The VPN area
  concept allows them to co-exist in one provider's network as
  well as smoothing migration to new mechanisms.
 
  This draft also examines the impact that VPN areas have on the
  IP VPN framework mechanisms described in [2]. The conclusion
  reached is that the best mechanism for intra-VPN reachability
  dissemination is a full routing protocol run by Virtual Routers.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-casey-vpn-extns-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-casey-vpn-extns-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-casey-vpn-extns-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.