Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-casey-vpn-mpls-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:01:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IP VPN Realization using MPLS Tunnels
	Author(s)	: L. Casey, I. Cunningham, R. Eros
	Filename	: draft-casey-vpn-mpls-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 18-Nov-98
	
  This Internet Draft describes a method of using MPLS to realize
  a provider IP VPN capability. The approach described here
  exploits the Label Switch Path (LSP) mesh implicitly established
  between all edge routers in an MPLS domain [4]. It uses 2 levels
  of LSP tunneling. The outer or base level is the hop by hop LSP
  tunnels that interconnect all VPN Border (Label Switch) Routers
  (VBR\022s). The 'bottom of label stack', nested level provides
  logically single hop tunnels between VBR\022s. For each IP VPN,
  single hop nested tunnels are established between all VBR's
  serving that particular VPN. The draft outlines the components
  involved in the MPLS IP VPN architecture and outlines how they
  interact. The proposed realization is caste in terms of the VPN
  areas introduced in [1] and is geared to take advantage of a
  virtual router (VR) capability in the VBR's. This results in a
  powerful and flexible method of providing an IP VPN service that
  meets the requirements outlined in [3]. Also described are two
  extensions: offering MPLS VPN service to the customer (rather
  than IP service) and using Label Switching to traverse VPN
  areas[1].

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-casey-vpn-mpls-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-casey-vpn-mpls-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-casey-vpn-mpls-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.