Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-fhns-rsvp-support-in-mipv6-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:01:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RSVP Support for Mobile IP Version 6 
                          in Wireless Environments
	Author(s)	: G. Fankhauser, S. Hadjiefthymiades, N. Nikaein, L. Stacey
	Filename	: draft-fhns-rsvp-support-in-mipv6-00.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 18-Nov-98
	
   This draft describes a specific problem encountered when  using  RSVP
   (Resource  Reservation  Protocol)  over  optimised  routes  in  MIPv6
   (Mobile IP Version 6). The address translation in the  MIP's  binding
   cache creates a mismatch between the flow-id of the packets sent from
   correspondent node to mobile node and the flow-id signalled by RSVP.

   We discuss several solutions to this problem: (1) By  modifying  RSVP
   at  mobile  and correspondent nodes to become aware of MIPv6 address-
   ing, we provide a simple repair that allows RSVP flows  to  be  esta-
   blished  between  the  fixed  network  and  mobiles;  (2a)  By adding
   optional objects to RSVP messages, a performance enhancement is  pro-
   posed  to  make handovers smooth and seamless; (2b) A different tech-
   nique with the same goal is called flow  extension  and  it  provides
   flows  with fixed flow-ids from the correspondent node into the wire-
   less access network at the expense of forwarding traffic  inside  the
   access network, whenever the mobile node moves.
 
   We conclude that the minimal solution (1) is a requirement  in  order
   to  make  MIPv6 and RSVP interoperable; our favored approach requires
   only minor changes to the correspondent and mobile  node's  RSVP  and
   MIP  specification.   However,  for well performing and uninterrupted
   operation we strongly recommend one of the solutions (2a or 2b)  that
   support  fast  re-establishment  or preservation of resource reserva-
   tions when mobile nodes move.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-fhns-rsvp-support-in-mipv6-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fhns-rsvp-support-in-mipv6-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fhns-rsvp-support-in-mipv6-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.