Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-reed-ldup-infomod-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:30:09 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: LDUP Replication Information Model
	Author(s)	: E. Reed
	Filename	: draft-reed-ldup-infomod-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 23-Nov-98
	
[LDUP Model] describes the architectural approach to replication of
LDAP directory contents.  This document describes the information
model and schema elements which support LDAP Replication Services
which conform to [LDUP Model].
 
Directory schema is extended to provide object classes, subentries,
and attributes to describe areas of the namespace which are under
common administrative authority, units of replication (ie, subtrees,
or partitions of the namespace, which are replicated), servers which
hold replicas of various types for the various partitions of the
namespace, which namespaces are held on given servers, and the
progress of various namespace management and replication operations.
Among other things, this knowledge of where directory content is
located will provide the basis for dynamic generation of LDAP
referrals for clients who can follow them.
 
The controlling framework by which the relationships, types, and
health of replicas of the directory content will be defined so that,
as much as possible, directory content is itself used to monitor and
control the environment.
 
Security information, including access control policy identifiers and
information will be treated as directory content by the replication
protocols when specified by the LDAPEXT group.
 
The information model will describe required and optional house-
keeping duties for compliant systems to implement, such as garbage
collection of deleted objects, reconciliation of moved and renamed
objects, update sequencing and transaction bracketing of changes, etc.

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and  "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119]. The
sections below reiterate these definitions and include some additional
ones.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-reed-ldup-infomod-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reed-ldup-infomod-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-reed-ldup-infomod-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.