Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-frystyk-httpng-overview-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:02:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Problem Statement, Requirements, and Solution Outline
	Author(s)	: H. Nielsen, M. Spreitzer, B. Janssen, J. Gettys
	Filename	: draft-frystyk-httpng-overview-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 18-Nov-98
	
       This document gives the authors' opinion of a rough outline of (1) the
       problems to be addressed by the proposed IETF HTTP-NG Working Group;
       (2) the requirements on the solution; and (3) the architecture of the
       solution. It draws heavily on contributions from the whole Protocol
       Design Group of the W3C HTTP-NG Activity. A suite of problems should
       be addressed, summarized as observing that the World Wide Web's
       tremendous success has created some strains on the Internet, its
       users, and its application developers. The requirements on the
       solution include modularity, extensibility, scalability, and
       efficiency. The proposed solution is to factor HTTP, the Web's central
       protocol, into three layers and look into performance improvements in
       the lower two of those resultant layers.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-frystyk-httpng-overview-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-frystyk-httpng-overview-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-frystyk-httpng-overview-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.