Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lindberg-anti-spam-mta-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 10:18:39 -0500

Note: This revision reflects comments received during the last call period.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Anti-Spam Recommendations for SMTP MTAs
	Author(s)	: G. Lindberg
	Filename	: draft-lindberg-anti-spam-mta-05.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 04-Nov-98
	
   This memo gives a number of implementation recommendations for SMTP,
   [1], MTAs (Mail Transfer Agents, e.g. sendmail, [6]) to make them
   more capable of reducing the impact of spam(*).
 
   The intent is that these recommendations will help clean up the spam
   situation, if applied on enough SMTP MTAs on the Internet, and that
   they should be used as guidelines for the various MTA vendors. We are
   fully aware that this is not the final solution, but if these
   recommendations were included, and used, on all Internet SMTP MTAs,
   things would improve considerably and give time to design a more long
   term solution. The Future Work section suggests some ideas that may
   be part of such a long term solution. It might, though, very well be
   the case that the ultimate solution is social, political, or legal,
   rather than technical in nature.
 
   The implementor should be aware of the increased risk of denial of
   service attacks that several of the proposed methods might lead to.
   For example, increased number of queries to DNS servers and increased
   size of logfiles might both lead to overloaded systems and system
   crashes during an attack.
 
   A brief summary of this memo is:

   o   Stop unauthorized mail relaying.
   o   Spammers then have to operate in the open; deal with them.
   o   Design a mail system that can handle spam.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lindberg-anti-spam-mta-05.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lindberg-anti-spam-mta-05.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lindberg-anti-spam-mta-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.