Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:12:47 -0500

Note: This revision reflects comments received during the last call period.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Printing Protocol Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Mapping between LPD and IPP Protocols
	Author(s)	: R. Herriot, T. Hastings, N. Jacobs, J. Martin
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-05.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 20-Nov-98
	
This document is one of a set of documents, which together describe all
aspects of a new Internet Printing Protocol (IPP). IPP is an application
level protocol that can be used for distributed printing using Internet
tools and technologies. This document gives some advice to implementers
of gateways between IPP and LPD (Line Printer Daemon). This document
describes the mapping between (1) the commands and operands of the 'Line
Printer Daemon (LPD) Protocol' specified in RFC 1179 and (2) the
operations, operation attributes and job template attributes of the
Internet Printing Protocol/1.0  (IPP).  One of the purposes of this
document is to compare the functionality of the two protocols.  Another
purpose is to facilitate implementation of gateways between LPD and IPP.
 
WARNING:  RFC 1179 was not on the IETF standards track.  While RFC 1179
was intended to record existing practice, it fell short in some areas.
However, this specification maps between (1) the actual current practice
of RFC 1179 and (2) IPP.  This document does not attempt to map the
numerous divergent extensions to the LPD protocol that have been made by
many implementers.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-05.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-05.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.