Subject: Protocol Action: Definitions of Managed Objects for Extended Border Node, APPN TRAPS and APPN to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 12:08:43 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

o Definitions of Managed Objects for Extended Border Node 
	<draft-ietf-snanau-ebnmib-02.txt> 
o Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN TRAPS 
	<draft-ietf-snanau-appntrapmib-03.txt>
o Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN
	<draft-ietf-snanau-appnmib-v2-02.txt>

These documents are the product of the SNA NAU Services MIB Working
Group.  The IESG contact person is Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
  The EBN MIB provides instrumentation for the APPN Extended Border 
  Node, an element of APPN that enhances scalability within an 
  enterprise, as well as providing for isolation when APPN networks 
  belonging to different enterprises are interconnected.

  Version 2 of the APPN MIB, which obsoletes RFC 2155, provides 
  instrumentation for two enhancements to the APPN architecture, APPN
  multilink transmission groups (MLTGs) and the APPN branch network
  node (a.k.a. Branch Extender).  It also includes several minor
  additions and clarifications based on implementation experience
  with RFC 2155.

  The APPN Traps MIB introduces traps that serve two purposes:

  - Improving scalability for applications monitoring APPN local
    topology.
  - Making the existing APPN intermediate-session counters more
    suitable for use by an accounting application.

Working Group Summary

  The working group reached consensus on all three documents during
  the AIW phase of our review.  There were no particularly
  contentious issues, once we understood that the SMI rules for Trap
  VarBinds ruled out the solution we were initially working towards
  in the APPN Traps MIB.

Protocol Quality

  The EBN MIB document was reviewed for the IESG by Randy Presuhn.
  The APPN MIB update and the APPN Traps MIB were reviewed for the
  IESG by Dan Romascanu.  Elements of the APPN MIB update have been
  implemented in shipped products.  Implementation is proceeding for
  the other two MIBs.

Note to RFC Editor:

	Please note that Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN
	<draft-ietf-snanau-appnmib-v2-02.txt> obsoletes RFC2155.