Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rotzy-2-tier-management-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:32:41 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Two-Tier Resource Management Model for 
                          Differentiated Services Networks
	Author(s)	: F. Reichmeyer, L. Ong, A. Terzis, 
                          L. Zhang, R. Yavatkar
	Filename	: draft-rotzy-2-tier-management-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 24-Nov-98
	
This draft proposes a two-tier resource management model for
differentiated services networks. Following the approach taken by
the Internet routing architecture, we propose that bilateral service
agreements are made for aggregate border-crossing traffic between
neighboring administrative domains. We also propose that
administrative domains individually make their own decision on
strategies and protocols to use for internal resource management and
QoS support, both to meet internal client needs and to fulfill
external commitments.
 
We sketch out one specific realization of this two-tier model by
having a Bandwidth-Broker (BB) as the resource manager for each
domain and a BB-to-BB protocol, equivalent to BGP in routing, for
inter-domain resource management.  We believe that this two-tier
resource management
model matches the direction of, and complement the work by, the
diffserv effort.  We also expect this two-tier model to scale well
in the global, heterogeneous Internet.
 
Note: This draft contains pictures that could not be included in the
text version. A postscript version of the draft (including the
pictures) can be found at http://irl.cs.ucla.edu/publications.f.html

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rotzy-2-tier-management-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rotzy-2-tier-management-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rotzy-2-tier-management-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.