Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-frystyk-http-extensions-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:45:17 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: HTTP Extension Framework
	Author(s)	: H. Nielsen, P. Leach,  S. Lawrence
	Filename	: draft-frystyk-http-extensions-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 12-Nov-98
	
A wide range of applications have proposed various extensions of the
HTTP protocol. Current efforts span an enormous range, including
distributed authoring, collaboration, printing, and remote procedure
call mechanisms. However, HTTP extensions are uncoordinated, and there
has been no standard framework for defining extensions or keeping them
separate from each other. This document describes a generic extension
mechanism for HTTP/1.1, which is designed to address the tension between
private agreement and public specification and to accommodate extension
of applications using HTTP clients, servers, and proxies. The proposal
associates each extension with a globally unique identifier, and uses
HTTP header fields to carry the extension identifier and related
information between the parties involved in the extended communication.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-frystyk-http-extensions-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-frystyk-http-extensions-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-frystyk-http-extensions-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.