Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-legis-smtp-banner-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:59:09 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Anti-UBE and Anti-UCE Keywords in SMTP Banners
	Author(s)	: P. Hoffman, J. Levine
	Filename	: draft-hoffman-legis-smtp-banner-03.txt
	Pages		: 3
	Date		: 16-Nov-98
	
Legislators writing laws that would limit or prohibit the sending of
unsolicited bulk email (UBE) or unsolicited commercial email (UCE) have
begun to include rules that require mail servers to include particular
wording in the SMTP banner. To date, this wording has had two distinct
purposes: to warn senders that they may not send UBE or UCE to that SMTP
host, and to state the physical location of the host so that the sender may
know which laws apply.
 
This document is meant to help clarify how such legislation might be
worded, and to help increase interoperability of various laws. It is not
meant to be a standard of any kind, but is meant only for its informational
value.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hoffman-legis-smtp-banner-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-legis-smtp-banner-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-legis-smtp-banner-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.