Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-telephone-tones-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:16:44 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: RTP Payloads for Telephone Signal Events
	Author(s)	: S. Petrack
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-telephone-tones-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 23-Nov-98
	
This note describes two RTP payload formats for in-band telephony
signal events (TSE) such as DTMF, dial-tone, ring-tone, off-hook, SIT, etc.
One payload is designed to carry a named signal, and the other is designed
carry a compact representation of actual audio waveform cadence to be played.
The two formats are independent, but they can be used together very usefully
within redundant audio payloads; this enables highly efficient and robust
transport of telephony network signal events along with a representation of
the actual audio media associated to the signal events.
 
Acknowledgements: This internet draft is an extension of H. Schulzrinne's
draft ietf-avt-dtmf-00.txt and borrows heavily from it (including copying
actual text). The main extensions appearing in this draft are as follows:
 
a) many other telephony call progress tones and signal events have been
added to the original DTMF and flash-hook of ietf-avt-dtmf-00.txt (an
attempt has been made to align this with [MGCP] and [E.180 supp2]
b) a second payload is defined which carries a highly compact
frequency representation of the audio waveform of the signal;
c) a few clarifications about reliability and redundancy, including how
the two payloads will work together.
 
Acknowledgement is also due to [MGCP]; part of this draft is an attempt
to use RTP to provide the signal transport required by MGCP, in a way
which can be reused by a large class of applications.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-telephone-tones-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-telephone-tones-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-telephone-tones-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.