Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-montenegro-pilc-ltn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:58:39 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Long Thin Networks
	Author(s)	: G. Montenegro, S. Dawkins, M. Kojo, V. Magret
	Filename	: draft-montenegro-pilc-ltn-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 20-Nov-98
	
   In view of the unpredictable and problematic nature of long thin
   networks (for example, wireless WANs), arriving at an optimized
   transport is a daunting task.  We have reviewed the existing
   proposals along with future research items. Based on this
   overview, we also recommend mechanisms for implementation in long
   thin networks.

   Our goal is to identify a TCP that works for all users, including
   users of long thin networks. We started from the working
   recommendations of the IETF TCP Over Satellite Links (tcpsat)
   working group with this end in mind.
 
   We recognize that not every tcpsat recommendation will be required
   for long thin networks as well, and are working toward a set of
   TCP recommendations that are 'benign' in environments that do not
   require them.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-montenegro-pilc-ltn-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-montenegro-pilc-ltn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-montenegro-pilc-ltn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.