Subject: RFC 2458 on Pre-PINT Implementations

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:16:05 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2458:

        Title:	    Toward the PSTN/Internet Inter-Networking
                    --Pre-PINT Implementations
	Author(s):  H. Lu, M. Krishnaswamy, L. Conroy, S. Bellovin,
		    F. Burg, A. DeSimone, K. Tewani, P. Davidson, 
		    H. Schulzrinne, K. Vishwanathan
	Status:     Informational
	Date:       November 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked]		   
	Pages:      60
        Characters: 139100
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pint-pre-implement-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2458.txt

This document contains the information relevant to the development of
the inter-networking interfaces underway in the Public Switched
Telephone Network (PSTN)/Internet Inter-Networking (PINT) Working
Group. It addresses technologies, architectures, and several (but by
no means all) existing pre-PINT implementations of the arrangements
through which Internet applications can request and enrich PSTN
telecommunications services. The common denominator of the enriched
services (a.k.a. PINT services) is that they combine the Internet and
PSTN services in such a way that the Internet is used for non-voice
interactions, while the voice (and fax) are carried entirely over the
PSTN. One key observation is that the pre-PINT implementations, being
developed independently, do not inter-operate. It is a task of the
PINT Working Group to define the inter-networking interfaces that will
support inter-operation of the future implementations of PINT
services.

This document is a product of the PSTN and Internet Internetworking
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.
 
This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.