Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kermode-sadp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 09:47:22 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Scoped Address Discovery Protocol (SADP)
	Author(s)	: R. Kermode
	Filename	: draft-kermode-sadp-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 05-Nov-98
	
   Administrative scoping [RFC2365] provide a useful means for limiting
   the spread of IP multicast traffic acros the Internet. Unlike Time-
   To-Live (TTL) scoping, administrative scoping provides the means to
   ensure that, for a given scope and ignoring packet loss, the same set
   of nodes will receive a message, regardless of which node sent the
   message. Thus, the use of administrative scoping greatly simplifies
   the design of multicast protocols that require localization, since
   the non-reception of sent packets is solely due to loss and not
   design.
 
   The Multicast Zone Announcement Protocol (MZAP) [MZAP] will provide
   applications with the means for discovering the various scopes that
   are locally visible at each point in the Internet. In addition, MZAP
   will also provide the means for determining and announcing which
   scope zones completely encapsulate others. This additional ability
   will allow scope zones to be arranged into hierarchies which
   applications can then used expanding zone searches instead of less
   efficient and more problematic expanding-ring (TTL) searches. One
   example of how expanding-zone searches provide increased localization
   can be found in the Scoped Hybrid Automatic Repear reQuest with
   Forward Error Correction (SHARQFEC) reliable multicast protocol
   [SHARQFEC].

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kermode-sadp-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kermode-sadp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kermode-sadp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.