Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nat-hnat-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:47:46 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Address Translators Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: IP Host Network Address (and Port) Translation
	Author(s)	: J. Lo, K. Taniguchi
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nat-hnat-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 23-Nov-98
	
   Network Address Translation has become a popular technique that
   allows private addresses unregistered with Internet Assigned Number
   Authority (IANA) to be used by organizations within a private routing
   realm. These private addresses must not be advertised in the public
   Internet. Hence network address translator (NAT) are placed at the
   private routing realm border to translate private addresses to globally
   unique addresses and vice versa before packets are exchanged between
   the disparate routing realms. These modifications of the packet header
   by the NAT cause problems with the use of end-to-end security protocols
   such as IPSec and DNSSEC because network address translation does
   exactly what the security protocols are trying to prevent.
 
   Host Network Address Translation (HNAT) and Host Network Address Port
   Translation (NAPT), on the other hand, enable end hosts to carry out
   address (and port) translations before applying security algorithms. To
   make dynamic HNAT and HNAPT possible, three conditions are essential.
   First, there must exist a way for end hosts to discover the IP address
   of Host-NA(P)T-Server. Second, there must be a way for externally
   destined packets to be routed in the private domain between the Host
   -NA(P)T-Client and Host-NA(P)T-Server. Lastly, Host-NA(P)T-Client must
   be able to obtain an address (and port) binding from the Host-NA(P)T
   -Server dynamically. This draft aims to address these issues to a
   considerable extent. Methods suggested are by no means exhaustive in
   coverage and implementation specifics may vary from vendor to vendor.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nat-hnat-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-hnat-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-hnat-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.