Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-yamamoto-charset-iso-2022-jp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:13:12 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Japanese Character Encoding for Internet Messages
	Author(s)	: E. Wada, J. Murai, K. Yamamoto
	Filename	: draft-yamamoto-charset-iso-2022-jp-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 14-Dec-98
	
    This memo describes the encoding used in electronic mail, NetNews,
    and world wide web messages in Japanese networks.  It was first
    specified by and used in JUNET then described in RFC 1468.  The name
    of this encoding was originally known as 'JUNET code' and is now
    called 'ISO-2022-JP' when used in the context of MIME.
 
    In ISO-2022-JP text, both one 7-bit byte Latin script (ASCII or JIS
    X 0201 Latin set) and two 7-bit bytes Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana and
    some other symbols and characters (JIS X 0208) are employed.
    Switching the graphic character sets is based on the extension
    techniques defined in ISO 2022.
 
    This memo eliminates some ambiguities of RFC 1468.  However, it
    NEVER introduces any essential changes against RFC 1468.  Since the
    encoding is now widely used in Japanese IP communities, backward
    compatibility is most important in this revision.
 
    This memo revises RFC 1468 on the following points:
 
    1. It is clarified that ISO-2022-JP does NOT conform to ISO 2022.

    2. The formal syntax is divided into two new yet compatible rules,
        namely, ISO-2022-JP decoding syntax and ISO-2022-JP encoding
        syntax.

    3. The bit combinations permitted in JIS X 0208 are explicitly
        described in the syntax so that the invalid character positions
        will be excluded in ISO-2022-JP text.

    4. Recommended graphic character sets are specified.  That is, ASCII
        is RECOMMENDED rather than JIS X 0201 1976 Latin set. ONLY to
        embed YEN SIGN and OVER LINE, JIS 0201 Latin set MAY be used.
        Also, JIS X 0208 1983 (including 1990) is RECOMMENDED rather
        than JIS X 0208 1978.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yamamoto-charset-iso-2022-jp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-yamamoto-charset-iso-2022-jp-01.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-yamamoto-charset-iso-2022-jp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.