Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-udlr-assym-broadcast-links-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 09:12:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the UniDirectional Link Routing Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet Architecture Considerations for Assymetric 
                          and Unidirectional Broadcast Links
	Author(s)	: J. Crowcroft
	Filename	: draft-ietf-udlr-assym-broadcast-links-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 30-Nov-98
	
   Satellite hops, the region between a basestation and a set of mobile
   nodes, and a number of other similar scenarios represent a challenge
   to providing IP connectivity at various levels due to the 1-many
   broadcast nature of the link. The UDLR group has addressed these
   problems in some limited situations. The general case, where
   multiple, possibly partially intersecting set of such hops are part
   of a general set of Internet Paths (or need to be considered in the
   route computation that will buld such paths) is complex. This note is
   an attempt to outline a framework for the general case. We include
   certain recent approaches to managing connectivity that also include
   quality of service, multiple alternate paths, and traffic engineering
   considerations.
 
   In this version of this note, we are discussing techniques for
   connectivity, so mechanisms and techniques described are applicable
   to routers. We would need a seperate (and hopefully much simpler) set
   of mechanisms to incorporate hosts that exist on a unidirectional
   link or path that includes such links.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-udlr-assym-broadcast-links-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-udlr-assym-broadcast-links-00.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-udlr-assym-broadcast-links-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.