Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-perlman-simple-multicast-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:34:41 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Simple Multicast: A Design for Simple, 
                           Low-Overhead Multicast
	Author(s)	: R. Perlman, C. Lee, T. Ballardie, J. Crowcroft,
                          Z. Wang, T. Maufer
	Filename	: draft-perlman-simple-multicast-01.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 16-Dec-98
	
   This paper describes a design for multicast that is simple to
   understand and low enough overhead for routers that a single scheme
   can work both within and between domains. It also eliminates the need
   for coordinated multicast address allocation across the Internet. It
   is not very different from the tree based schemes CBT, PIM-SM, and
   BGMP. Essentially all of the mechanisms to support this have already
   been implemented in the other designs. The contribution of this
   protocol is in what is NOT required to be implemented.
 
   The main idea for simplifying multicast is to consider the identity
   of a group to be the 8-byte combination of a 'core node' C, and the
   multicast address M. The identity of the group is carried in join
   messages and data messages. M no longer has to be unique across the
   Internet. It only has to be unique per C. The other idea, which is
   independent of the first, it to build a bidirectional tree (as is
   done in CBT and BGMP) instead of building per-source trees from each
   sender.  This reduces the state necessary in routers to support
   multicast.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-perlman-simple-multicast-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-perlman-simple-multicast-01.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-perlman-simple-multicast-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.