Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-degermark-ipv6-hc-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:20:34 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPNG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IP Header Compression
	Author(s)	: M. Degermark, B. Nordgren, S. Pink
	Filename	: draft-degermark-ipv6-hc-08.txt
	Pages		: 47
	Date		: 16-Dec-98
	
This document describes how to compress multiple IP headers and TCP
and UDP headers per-hop over point-to-point links. The methods can be
applied to of IPv6 base and extension headers, IPv4 headers, TCP and
UDP headers, and encapsulated IPv6 and IPv4 headers.
 
Headers of typical UDP or TCP packets can be compressed down to 4-7
octets including the 2 octet UDP or TCP checksum. This largely
removes the negative impact of large IP headers and allows efficient
use of bandwidth on low- and medium-speed links.
 
The compression algorithms are specifically designed to work well
over links with nontrivial packet-loss rates. Several wireless and
 modem technologies result in such links.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-degermark-ipv6-hc-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-degermark-ipv6-hc-08.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-degermark-ipv6-hc-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.