Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mospf-prunes-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:10:39 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multicast Extensions to OSPF Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: MOSPF Prunes
	Author(s)	: J. Moy
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mospf-prunes-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 23-Dec-98
	
    MOSPF is a link-state multicast routing protocol, based on OSPF.
    Inside a single OSPF area, the delivery of multicast datagrams is
    restricted to group members only, by propagating the location of
    group members through group-membership-LSAs. However, group
    membership is not propagated across area and/or AS boundaries,
    relying instead on so-called wild-card multicast receivers. This
    means that in some cases multicast datagrams are transmitted further
    than necessary, wasting link and processor resources in the process.
 
    This document defines a way to prune these excess branches off the
    MOSPF delivery tree, using a new Prune-LSA. In concept these are
    similar to the prunes employed by the DVMRP protocol. However, to
    reuse the reliability mechanisms present in the base OSPF protocol,
    MOSPF prunes are implemented as local-scope Opaque-LSAs. As a
    result, inter-area and inter-AS multicast datagrams are forwarded by
    MOSPF using the broadcast-and-prune strategy employed by DVMRP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mospf-prunes-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mospf-prunes-00.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mospf-prunes-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.