Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:31:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
	Author(s)	: K. Hamzeh, G. Pall, W. Verthein, J. Taarud, 
                          W. Little, G. Zorn
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-07.txt
	Pages		: 54
	Date		: 16-Dec-98
	
   This document specifies a protocol which allows the Point to Point
   Protocol (PPP) to be tunneled through an IP network.  PPTP does not
   specify any changes to the PPP protocol but rather describes a new
   vehicle for carrying PPP.  A client-server architecture is defined in
   order to decouple functions which exist in current Network Access
   Servers (NAS) and support Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).  The PPTP
   Network Server (PNS) is envisioned to run on a general purpose
   operating system while the client, referred to as a PPTP Access
   Concentrator (PAC) operates on a dial access platform.  PPTP
   specifies a call-control and management protocol which allows the
   server to control access for dial-in circuit switched calls
   originating from a PSTN or ISDN or to initiate outbound circuit-
   switched connections.  PPTP uses an enhanced GRE (Generic Routing
   Encapsulation) mechanism to provide a flow- and congestion-controlled
   encapsulated datagram service for carrying PPP packets.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-07.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.