Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-naser-voice-diffserv-eval-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:30:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Voice over Differentiated Services
	Author(s)	: H. Naser, A. Leon-Garcia, O. Aboul-Magd
	Filename	: draft-naser-voice-diffserv-eval-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 16-Dec-98
	
   We study the performance of the Constant Bit Rate (CBR) and the
   interpolated ON-OFF voice over the differentiated services
   Internet.  Both the Premium and Assured services are tested, and
   their relative performance is investigated. Using these services, at
   the DS3 rate, the call handling capacity can be doubled, at the
   expense of packetization delay and a few milliseconds packet delay.
   Also, at a reasonable load level, if the Assured flows are smooth
   their playout delay could be limited to a few milliseconds. This is
   true even in the presence of the higher-priority Premium flows.  The
   loss rate of the Assured packets at the RIO buffer is observed to be
   within the order of 10^(-06), where as the best effort packet loss
   rate is within the order of 10^(-02).  Finally, shaping the Premium
   traffic reaches diminishing returns; shaping could often exceedingly
   increase the end-to-end delay and jitter of the Premium traffic.
 
   A pdf or ps version of this document is available at:
   http://www.comm.toronto.edu/~hnaser/page2.html#pub96

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-naser-voice-diffserv-eval-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-naser-voice-diffserv-eval-00.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-naser-voice-diffserv-eval-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.