Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:54:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Extensions to FTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Extensions to FTP
	Author(s)	: R. Elz, P. Hethmon
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-05.txt
	Pages		: 46
	Date		: 16-Dec-98
	
   In order to overcome the problems caused by the undefined format of
   the current FTP LIST command output, a new command is needed to
   transfer standardized listing information from Server-FTP to Client-
   FTP.  Commands to enable this are defined in this document.
 
   In order to allow consenting clients and servers to interact more
   freely, a quite basic, and optional, virtual file store structure is
   defined.
 
   This proposal also extends the FTP protocol to allow character sets
   other than US-ASCII[1] by allowing the transmission of 8-bit
   characters and the recommended use of UTF-8[2] encoding.
 
   Much implemented, but long undocumented, mechanisms to permit
   restarts of interrupted data transfers in STREAM mode, are also
   included here.
 
   Lastly, the HOST command has been added to allow a style of 'virtual
   site' to be constructed.
 
   In this version of this draft all previously open questions have been
   given answers, and thus deleted from the draft.  The HOST command
   appears for the first time in this draft, but the previous extended
   definition of the STAT command has been removed.  MLST now uses the
   control connection.  Some error response have been specified more
   precisely.  A few examples have been added, finally!  This paragraph
   will be deleted from the final version of this document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-05.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.