Subject: RFC 2475 on Architecture for Differentiated Services

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:00:46 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        Title:	    An Architecture for Differentiated Services
	Author(s):  S. Blake, D. Black, M. Carlson, E. Davies,
		    Z. Wang, W. Weiss
	Status:     Informational
	Date:       December 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      36
        Characters: 94788
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None 
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-diffserv-arch-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2475.txt

This document defines an architecture for implementing scalable
service differentiation in the Internet.  This architecture achieves
scalability by aggregating traffic classification state which is
conveyed by means of IP-layer packet marking using the DS field
[DSFIELD].  Packets are classified and marked to receive a particular
per-hop forwarding behavior on nodes along their path.  Sophisticated
classification, marking, policing, and shaping operations need only
be implemented at network boundaries or hosts.  Network resources are
allocated to traffic streams by service provisioning policies which
govern how traffic is marked and conditioned upon entry to a
differentiated services-capable network, and how that traffic is
forwarded within that network.  A wide variety of services can be
implemented on top of these building blocks.

This document is a product of the Differentiated Services Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.
 
This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.