Subject: RFC 2474 on Differentiated Services Field

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:58:08 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2474:

        Title:	    Definition of the Differentiated Services Field
		    (DS Field) in the IPv4 and IPv6 Headers
	Author(s):  K. Nichols, S. Blake, F. Baker, D. Black
	Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       December 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      20
        Characters: 50576
        Obsoletes:  1455, 1349
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-diffserv-header-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2474.txt

This document defines the IP header field, called the DS (for
differentiated services) field.  In IPv4, it defines the layout of
the TOS octet; in IPv6, the Traffic Class octet.  In addition, a base
set of packet forwarding treatments, or per-hop behaviors, is
defined. 

This document is a product of the Differentiated Services Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.