Subject: RFC 2469 on Canonical Ordering Of Link-Layer Addresses

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 16:35:23 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

	RFC 2469:

        Title:	    A Caution On The Canonical Ordering Of Link-Layer 
		    Addresses
	Author(s):  T. Narten, C. Burton
	Status:     Informational
	Date:       December 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      5
        Characters: 9948
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None  
        I-D Tag:    draft-narten-canonical-ordering-00.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2469.txt

Protocols such as ARP and Neighbor Discovery have data fields that
contain link-layer addresses. In order to interoperate properly, a
sender setting such a field must insure that the receiver extracts
those bits and interprets them correctly.  In most cases, such fields
must be in "canonical form".  Unfortunately, not all LAN adaptors are
consistent in their use of canonical form, and implementations may
need to explicitly bit swap individual bytes in order to obtain the
correct format.  This document provides information to implementors to
help them avoid the pitfall of using non-canonical forms when
canonical forms are required.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.