Subject: RFC 2462 on IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 15:32:21 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

	RFC 2462:

        Title:	    IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
	Author(s):  S. Thomson, T. Narten
	Status:     Draft Standard
	Date:       December 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      25
        Characters: 61210
        Obsoletes:  1971
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipngwg-addrconf-v2-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2462.txt

This document specifies the steps a host takes in deciding how to
autoconfigure its interfaces in IP version 6. The autoconfiguration
process includes creating a link-local address and verifying its
uniqueness on a link, determining what information should be
autoconfigured (addresses, other information, or both), and in the
case of addresses, whether they should be obtained through the
stateless mechanism, the stateful mechanism, or both.  This document
defines the process for generating a link-local address, the process
for generating site-local and global addresses via stateless address
autoconfiguration, and the Duplicate Address Detection procedure. The
details of autoconfiguration using the stateful protocol are specified
elsewhere.

This document is a product of the IPNG Working Group of the IETF.
 
This is now a Draft Standard Protocol.
 
This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.