Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-stjohns-snmpv3-dhkeychange-mib-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:45:12 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Diffie-Helman Key Change Management Information 
                          Base and Textual Convention
	Author(s)	: M. St. Johns
	Filename	: draft-stjohns-snmpv3-dhkeychange-mib-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 23-Dec-98
	
This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management Information
Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet
community.  In particular, it defines a textual convention for doing
Diffie-Helman key agreement key exchanges and a set of objects which
extend the usmUserTable to permit the use of a DH key exchange in
addition to the key change method described in [12].
 
The KeyChange textual convention described in [12] permits secure key
changes, but has the property that if a third-party has knowledge of the
original key (e.g. if the agent was manufactured with a standard default
key) and could capture all SNMP exchanges, the third-party would know
the new key.  The Diffie-Helman key change described here limits
knowledge of the new key to the agent and the manager making the change.

This memo specifies a MIB module in a manner that is compliant to the
SNMP SMIv2[5][6][7].  The set of objects is consistent with the SNMP
framework and existing SNMP standards and is intended for use with the
SNMPv3 User Security Model MIB and other security related MIBs.
 
The key words 'MUST', 'MUST NOT', 'REQUIRED', 'SHALL', 'SHALL NOT',
'SHOULD', 'SHOULD NOT', 'RECOMMENDED',  'MAY', and 'OPTIONAL' in this
document are to be interpreted as described in [16].
 
This memo is a private submission by the author, but is applicable to
the SNMPv3 working group within the Internet Engineering Task Force.
Comments are solicited and should be addressed to the the author.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stjohns-snmpv3-dhkeychange-mib-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-stjohns-snmpv3-dhkeychange-mib-00.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-stjohns-snmpv3-dhkeychange-mib-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.