Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-merchant-pppext-sonet-sdh-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:29:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: PPP over SONET (SDH) at Rates from STS-1 (AU-3) 
                          to STS-192c (AU-4-64c/STM-64)
	Author(s)	: S. Merchant
	Filename	: draft-merchant-pppext-sonet-sdh-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 16-Dec-98
	
    The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) [1] provides a standard mechanism
    for transport of multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links.
    There is currently significant interest and activity in transporting
    PPP over SONET links, and RFC 1619 [2] and RFC 1662 [3], both from
    1994, have so far provided most of the basis for implementation of
    such a transport. Recent needs, proposals and standards have
    recently progressed beyond these two RFCs, as well as identified
    limitations of the methods described in the aforementioned RFCs for
    effective implementation at very high data rates in the vicinity of
    10 Gb/s (STS-192c/OC-192).
 
    This document (A) attempts to consolidates (sometimes by reference)
    current standards and current practice in transport of PPP over
    SONET; (B) attempts to document current viewpoints that share some
    degree of consensus in recent developments in this area and (C)
    proposes for STS-192c/OC-192 transmission a simple, efficient and
    robust 32-bit-word-oriented framing mechanism based on HDLC, called
    HDLC-32, which is significantly more conducive to efficient
    implementation at high data rates in the vicinity of 10 Gb/s
    (STS-192c/OC-192) than the HDLC framing currently used at lower
    rates.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-merchant-pppext-sonet-sdh-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-merchant-pppext-sonet-sdh-00.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-merchant-pppext-sonet-sdh-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.