Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rfced-info-moats-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:48:55 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Building Directories from DNS: Experiences 
                          from WWWSeeker
	Author(s)	: R. Moats, R. Huber
	Filename	: draft-rfced-info-moats-03.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 23-Dec-98
	
   There has been much discussion and several documents written about
   the need for an Internet Directory.  Recently, this discussion has
   focused on ways to discover an organization's domain name without
   relying on use of DNS as a directory service.  This draft discusses
   lessons that were learned during InterNIC Directory and Database
   Services' development and operation of WWWSeeker, an application that
   finds a web site given information about the name and location of an
   organization.  The back end database that drives this application was
   built from information obtained from domain registries via WHOIS and
   other protocols.  We present this information to help future
   implementors avoid some of the blind alleys that we have already
   explored.  This work builds on the Netfind system that was created by
   Mike Schwartz and his team at the University of Colorado at Boulder
   [1].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rfced-info-moats-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rfced-info-moats-03.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rfced-info-moats-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.