Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:18:03 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application Configuration Access Protocol 
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: ACAP Media Type Dataset Class
	Author(s)	: C. Newman, A. Melnikov
	Filename	: draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 23-Dec-98
	
     With the definition of standardized media types in MIME [MIME-IMT]
     it has become necessary to keep mapping tables which translate
     between the standard media type names, commonly used file name
     extensions, any platform specific typing mechanism, and helper
     applications to view, compose, edit or print media types.
     Supplying a set of site defaults is useful so that users won't have
     to configure well-known types.  The mailcap mechanism [MAILCAP]
     provides some of this functionality in a homogeneous environment
     with a shared file system, and both the Macintosh program 'Internet
     Config' and the Windows Registry have had some success in
     consolidating these tables for multiple applications on a single
     machine.  But neither of these addresses the problems of multi-
     platform users or a heterogeneous environment.
 
     ACAP provides precisely the right facilities for this need.  ACAP's
     dataset structure is extensible and ACAP's inheritance feature is
     ideal for enterprise default settings with per-user customization.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.