Subject: Protocol Action: The Network Access Identifier to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 08:40:16 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft The Network Access Identifier
<draft-ietf-roamops-nai-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

This document is the product of the Roaming Operations Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Harald Alvestrand.

Technical Summary

 This document describes a format for an identifier that can be used
 for identifying an user who accesses the network through multiple
 service providers, but has a business relationship with only one
 (roaming), called a Network Access Identifier, or NAI.
 The identifier looks like an email address, but there is no requirement
 that it should be able to function as one.

Working Group Summary

 Significant discussions concerned the need for having global uniqueness
 of the NAI. The group at last achieved consensus that the NAI would be
 globally unique, reusing the delegation of authority from the DNS, but
 without requiring that any particular information be stored in the DNS.

Protocol Quality

 The protocol was reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand.