Subject: RFC 2489 on Defining New DCHP Options

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:02:03 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 29:
        RFC 2489:

        Title:	    Procedure for Defining New DHCP Options
	Author(s):  R. Droms
	Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       January 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
	Pages:      5
        Characters: 10484
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None    
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-new-options-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2489.txt

The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) provides a framework
for passing configuration information to hosts on a TCP/IP network.
Configuration parameters and other control information are carried in
tagged data items that are stored in the \'options' field of the DHCP
message.  The data items themselves are also called "options."
 
New DHCP options may be defined after the publication of the DHCP
specification to accommodate requirements for conveyance of new
configuration parameters.  This document describes the procedure for
defining new DHCP options.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group of the IETF.		

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.
 
This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.