Subject: BCP 28, RFC 2488 on Enhancing TCP Over Satellite Channels

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:58:55 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 28:
        RFC 2488:

        Title:	    Enhancing TCP Over Satellite Channels
                    using Standard Mechanisms
	Author(s):  M. Allman, D. Glover, L. Sanchez
	Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       January 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
	            [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      19
        Characters: 47857
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None    
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2488.txt

The Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) provides reliable delivery
of data across any network path, including network paths containing
satellite channels.  While TCP works over satellite channels there
are several IETF standardized mechanisms that enable TCP to more
effectively utilize the available capacity of the network path.
This document outlines some of these TCP mitigations.  At this time,
all mitigations discussed in this document are IETF standards track
mechanisms (or are compliant with IETF standards).
 
This document is the product of the TCP Over Satellite Working Group
of the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.