Subject: RFC 2482 on Language Tagging in Unicode Plain Text

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:24:09 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2482:

        Title:	    Language Tagging in Unicode Plain Text	    
	Author(s):  K. Whistler, G. Adams
	Status:     Informational
	Date:       January 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      14
        Characters: 27800
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None 
        I-D Tag:    draft-whistler-plane14-00.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2482.txt

This document proposed a mechanism for language tagging in [UNICODE]
plain text. A set of special-use tag characters on Plane 14 of
[ISO10646] (accessible through UTF-8, UTF-16, and UCS-4 encoding
forms) are proposed for encoding to enable the spelling out of
ASCII-based string tags using characters which can be strictly
separated from ordinary text content characters in ISO10646 (or
UNICODE).

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.