Subject: Protocol Action: Anti-Spam Requirements on an SMTP MTA to Proposed

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:40:50 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Anti-Spam Requirements on an
SMTP MTA' <draft-lindberg-anti-spam-mta-08.txt> as a BCP.
This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Keith Moore.
 
Technical Summary
 
This document lists a number of issues an administrator of a
mail host on the Internet should think about when condiguring
his system, regarding unsolicited mail -- also called SPAM.
In some cases, suggestions are made for how to configure
a system, but those should only be seen as suggestions.

Working Group Summary

There have been a large amount of discussions around this document.
People disagreed about most issues -- until the form of the paper
ended up being listing issues, and not enforcing. This paper is not
to be seen as requirements for Internet hosts. It neither lists all
issues, nor does it cover by 100% all of the implications with each
one of the issues it covers. It covers most issues, and lists most
implications with each one of them.

Protocol Quality

This paper have been reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom.