Subject: RFC 2491 on IPv6 over NBMA networks

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:59:50 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2491:

        Title:	    IPv6 over Non-Broadcast Multiple Access (NBMA)
		    networks
	Author(s):  G. Armitage, P. Schulter, M. Jork, G. Harter
	Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       January 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      44
        Characters: 100782
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None    
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2491.txt

This document describes a general architecture for IPv6 over NBMA
networks. It forms the basis for subsidiary companion documents that
describe details for various specific NBMA technologies (such as ATM
or Frame Relay). The IPv6 over NBMA architecture allows conventional
host-side operation of the IPv6 Neighbor Discovery protocol, while
also supporting the establishment of \'shortcut' NBMA forwarding
paths when dynamically signaled NBMA links are available. Operations
over administratively configured Point to Point NBMA links are also
described.
 
Dynamic NBMA shortcuts are achieved through the use of IPv6 Neighbor
Discovery protocol operation within Logical Links, and inter-router
NHRP for the discovery of off-Link NBMA destinations. Both
flow-triggered and explicitly source-triggered shortcuts are
supported.

This document is a product of the Internetworking Over NBMA Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.