Subject: WG Review: Revised Charter for Audio/Video Transport (avt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:55:34 -0500

A revised charter has been received for the Audio/Video Transport (avt)
Working Group, and is provided here for informational purposes.

The current charter can be accessed at: 

	http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/avt-charter.html

===============
Description of Working Group:

The Audio/Video Transport Working Group was formed to specify a
protocol for real-time transmission of audio and video over UDP
and IP multicast. This is the Real-time Transport Protocol, RTP,
together with its associated profile and payload format documents.

The current goals of the working group are to revise RTP and the A/V
profile for advancement to draft standard stage, to complete the RTP MIB,
to produce a guidelines document for future developers of payload formats
and to continue development of new payload formats (including generic and
multiplexed formats).

Goals and Milestones:

Jan 99	- Working group last call on parity FEC draft
	- Working group last call on guidelines for payload format writers
	- Submit revised draft on PureVoice (qcelp) payload format
	  (to address WG last call comments)
	- Submit payload format for MPEG-4 based on MPEG/IETF joint meetings
	- Submit revised RTP MIB and issue working group last call
	- Analysis/simulation of multiplexing payload format proposals

Feb 99	- Submit revised SSRC sampling draft
	- Submit revised R-S draft
	- Submit revised multiplexing draft(s)
	- Submit RTP MIB to IESG for publication as an RFC
	- Submit revised A/V profile draft
	- Submit revised DTMF payload format draft, ready for WG last call 
	- Submit RTP implementation checklist draft

Mar 99	- Working group last call on revised SSRC sampling draft
	- Decide how to proceed with multiplexing protocol: one generic
	  payload format or a number of application specific formats
	- Working group last call on RTP and A/V profile
	- Continue work on generic payload format draft

Apr 99	- Revise MPEG-4 payload format document after implementations
	- Submit final revisions of selected multiplexing protocol draft

Jul 99	- Prepare MPEG4 implementation results ready for working group
	  last call 
	- Working group last call on multiplexing payload format

It is expected that the group will recharter around this time, based on the
decisions about the generic and multiplexing payload formats, and the possible
need to define other payload formats (eg: for new media types).