Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-senie-directed-broadcast-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:26:22 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Changing the Default for 
                          Directed Broadcasts in Routers
	Author(s)	: D. Senie
	Filename	: draft-senie-directed-broadcast-00.txt
	Pages		: 2
	Date		: 12-Jan-99
	
   Router Requirements [1] specifies that routers must receive directed
   broadcasts, though it may contain configuration settings to disable
   this feature. While directed broadcasts have uses, their use on the
   Internet backbone appears to be comprised entirely of malicious
   attacks on other networks.
 
   Changing the required default for routers would help ensure new
   routers connected to the Internet do not add to the problems already
   present.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-senie-directed-broadcast-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-senie-directed-broadcast-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-senie-directed-broadcast-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.