Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hamilton-cachebusting-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:52:22 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Cachebusting - cause and prevention
	Author(s)	: M. Hamilton, A. Daviel
	Filename	: draft-hamilton-cachebusting-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 14-Jan-99
	
   Cachebusting is the sometimes deliberate, sometimes inadvertant,
   practice of defeating caching.  This document explains the nature of
   the problem with relation to proxy cache servers using the World-Wide
   Web's HTTP protocol, and outlines some simple measures which may be
   taken to make an HTTP based service more 'cache friendly'.  Since Web
   caching is still a novel concept, we also explain the basic
   principles behind it.  This document should be read by developers of
   HTTP based products and services - we assume that the reader is
   already familiar with HTTP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hamilton-cachebusting-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hamilton-cachebusting-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hamilton-cachebusting-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.