Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rfced-info-banan-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:45:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Neda's Efficient Mail Submission and 
                          Delivery (EMSD)    
                          Protocol Specification Version 1.3
	Author(s)	: M. Banan
	Filename	: draft-rfced-info-banan-01.txt
	Pages		: 70
	Date		: 27-Jan-99
	
This document specifies the protocol and format encodings for
Efficient Mail Submission and Delivery (EMSD). EMSD is a messaging
protocol that is highly optimized for submission and delivery of short
Internet mail messages.  EMSD is designed to be a companion to
existing Internet mail protocols.

This specification narrowly focuses on submission and delivery of
short mail messages with a clear emphasis on efficiency.  EMSD is
designed specifically with wireless network (e.g., CDPD, Wireless-IP,
Mobile-IP) usage in mind.  EMSD is designed to be a natural
enhancement to the mainstream of Internet mail protocols when
efficiency in mail submission and mail delivery are important.  As
such, EMSD is anticipated to become an initial basis for convergence
of Internet Mail and IP-based Two-Way Paging.

The reliability requirement for message submission and message
delivery in EMSD are the same as existing email protocols.  EMSD
protocol accomplishes reliable connectionless mail submission and
delivery services on top of Efficient Short Remote Operations (ESRO)
protocols as specified in RFC-2188 [1].

Most existing Internet mail protocols are not efficient.  Most
existing Internet mail protocols are designed with simplicity and
continuity with SMTP traditions as two primary requirements.  EMSD is
designed with efficiency as a primary requirement.

The early use of EMSD in the wireless environment is manifested as
IP-based Two-Way Paging services.  The efficiency of this protocol
also presents significant benefits for large centrally operated
Internet mail service providers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rfced-info-banan-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rfced-info-banan-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rfced-info-banan-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.