Subject: RFC 2483 on URI Resolution Services

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:53:36 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2483:

        Title:	    URI Resolution Services Necessary for 
	            URN Resolution
	Author(s):  M. Mealling, R. Daniel, Jr.
	Status:     Experimental
	Date:       January 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      16
        Characters: 30518
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None 
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2483.txt

Retrieving the resource identified by a Uniform Resource Identifier
(URI) [1] is only one of the operations that can be performed on a
URI.  One might also ask for and get a list of other identifiers that
are aliases for the original URI or a bibliographic description of the
resource the URI denotes, for example. This applies to both Uniform
Resource Names (URNs) and Uniform Resource Locators (URLs). Uniform
Resource Characteristics (URCs) are discussed in this document but
only as descriptions of resources rather than identifiers.

This document is a product of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and 
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo 
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.