Subject: RFC 2487 on SMTP Service Extension

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:55:52 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2487:

        Title:	    SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over TLS
	Author(s):  P. Hoffman
	Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       January 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
	Pages:      8
        Characters: 15120
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None    
        I-D Tag:    draft-hoffman-smtp-ssl-10.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2487.txt

This document describes an extension to the SMTP service that allows
an SMTP server and client to use transport-layer security to provide
private, authenticated communication over the Internet. This gives
SMTP agents the ability to protect some or all of their communications
from eavesdroppers and attackers.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.
 
This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.