Subject: RFC 2459 on Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:52:33 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2459:

        Title:	    Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
		    Certificate and CRL Profile    
	Author(s):  R. Housley, W. Ford, W. Polk, D. Solo
	Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       January 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      129
        Characters: 278438
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None    
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-part1-11.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2459.txt

This memo profiles the X.509 v3 certificate and X.509 v2 CRL for use
in the Internet.  An overview of the approach and model are provided
as an introduction.  The X.509 v3 certificate format is described in
detail, with additional information regarding the format and semantics
of Internet name forms (e.g., IP addresses).  Standard certificate
extensions are described and one new Internet-specific extension is
defined.  A required set of certificate extensions is specified.  The
X.509 v2 CRL format is described and a required extension set is
defined as well.  An algorithm for X.509 certificate path validation
is described. Supplemental information is provided describing the
format of public keys and digital signatures in X.509 certificates for
common Internet public key encryption algorithms (i.e., RSA, DSA, and
Diffie-Hellman).  ASN.1 modules and examples are provided in the
appendices

This document is a product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509)
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.