Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-2000-issue-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:34:14 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the The Internet and the Millennium Problem 
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Internet and the Millenium Problem (Year 2000)
	Author(s)	: P. Nesser II
	Filename	: draft-ietf-2000-issue-06.txt
	Pages		: 178
	Date		: 27-Jan-99
	
The Year 2000 Working Group(WG) has conducted an investigation into
the millennium problem as it regards Internet related protocols.  This
investigation only targeted the protocols as documented in the Request
For Comments Series (RFCs).  This investigation discovered little
reason for concern with regards to the functionality of the protocols.
A few minor cases of older implementations still using two digit years
(ala RFC 850) were discovered, but almost all Internet protocols were
given a clean bill of health.  Several cases of 'period' problems were
discovered, where a time field would 'roll over' as the size of field
was reached.  In particular, there are several protocols, which have
32 bit, signed integer representations of the number of seconds since
January 1, 1970 which will turn negative at Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 GMT
2038.  Areas whose protocols will be effected by such problems have
been notified so that new revisions will remove this limitation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-2000-issue-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-2000-issue-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-2000-issue-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.