Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:35:21 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

Note: This revision reflects comments received during the last call period.

	Title		: DHCP Option to Disable Stateless Auto-Configuration 
                          in IPv4 Clients
	Author(s)	: R. Troll
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-03.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 26-Jan-99
	
    Operating Systems are now attempting to support ad-hoc networks of
    two or more systems, while keeping user configuration at a minimum.
    To accommodate this, in the absence of a central configuration
    mechanism (DHCP), some OS's are automatically choosing a link-local
    IP address which will allow them to communicate only with other
    hosts on the same link.  This address will not allow the OS to
    communicate with anything beyond a router.  However, some sites
    depend on the fact that a host with no DHCP response will have no IP
    address.  This document describes a mechanism by which DHCP servers
    are able to tell clients that they do not have an IP address to
    offer, and that the client should not generate an IP address it's
    own.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.