Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-deliver-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:13:27 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Deliver By SMTP Service Extension
	Author(s)	: D. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-deliver-02.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 06-Jan-99
	
This memo defines a mechanism whereby a SMTP client can request, when
transmitting a message to a SMTP server, that the server deliver the
message within a prescribed period of time.  A client making such a
request also specifies the message handling which is to occur if the
message cannot be delivered within the specified time period: either the
message is to be returned as undeliverable with no further processing,
or a 'delayed' delivery status notification (DSN) [6] is to be issued.
 
This extension should not be viewed as a vehicle for requesting
'priority' processing.  A receiving SMTP server may assign whatever
processing priority it wishes to a message transmitted with a Deliver By
request.  A Deliver By request serves to express a message's urgency and
to provide an additional degree of determinancy in its processing.  An
indication of an urgent message's status within a given time period may
be requested and will be honored.  Moreover, the message may be
withdrawn if not delivered within that time period.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-deliver-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-newman-deliver-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-deliver-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.