Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dittert-host-sys-char-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:15:05 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DHCP Options For Host System Characteristics
	Author(s)	: M. Henry
	Filename	: draft-dittert-host-sys-char-03.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 23-Feb-99
	
   The interoperability of configuration services based on the Dynamic Host
   Configuration Protocol (DHCP) [1] in an environment of heterogeneous
   clients depends on clients accurately identifying themselves and their
   relevant characteristics to configuration servers.  The class identifier
   provided through DHCP option 60 [2] helps in this regard, but such
   identifiers essentially only enable clients and servers that are 'good
   friends' to find each other. This draft proposes the definition of three
   options that convey particular, generally useful information about the
   client system.  This enables all servers to recognize this information,
   and is a step toward a richer form of interoperability for configuration
   services.
 
   The options in question are
             Option 93 - Client System Architecture
             Option 94 - Client Network Device Interface
             Option 97 - UUID/GUID-based Client Identifier
 
   Subsequent to IANA issuing the above DHCP option numbers, the DHCP Working
   Group has determined that use of these options is not appropriate. As a
   result, it was agreed in the August 1998 IETF DHCP WG meeting that use of
   Options 93, 94, and 97 as described in this draft would be allowed until
   August of 2004 (six years), after which time the option numbers would be
   made available for new options.
 
   In the interim, it is expected that systems using Options 93, 94, and 97
   will be redefined to use Options 60 and 61.  It is allowable that systems
   may use both methods during the 6 year interim period as a means of
   migrating to exclusive use of Options 60 and 61 for this functionality by
   the end of the interim period.
 
   The DHCP Working Group has agreed that this draft will be published as
   an Informational RFC to document the expected term of use for Options 93,
   94, and 97 as defined in this ID.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dittert-host-sys-char-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dittert-host-sys-char-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dittert-host-sys-char-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.