Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mahajan-rpcp-protocol-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:23:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RPCP Resource Pool Control Protocol
	Author(s)	: S. Mahajan
	Filename	: draft-mahajan-rpcp-protocol-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 09-Feb-99
	
RPCP is a generic interface protocol between two entities, where
one entity acting as Resource Pool (RP) and other being the
Resource Pool Controller (RPC). The RP entity in turn may be
acting as RPC for other RPs in a hierarchical manner. The resource
being defined can be any hardware/software, physical/virtual
resource.

In today's telecommunication world, the intelligence is being
moved away from the hardware (the embedded platform) or the
switching fabric to a more generic computing resource (high-end
servers). These computing resources controls the call logic,
service logic and the network signalling part. This implies that
there is a need for an open interface protocol by which call
agents or signalling agents can control this rather dumb hardware
as resource pools. This helps in easy and smooth integration of
these entities even if they come from different vendors.

The Interworking and Gateway market is a very big market today.
The network architecture proposed for these solutions carries the
intelligence away from the resource pools (also called media
gateways) to call agents or pool controllers (also called media
gateway controllers). With such network architectures the need
for such a protocol is more prominent.

There are many other needs and use of such a protocol which will
be discussed in detail in this white paper. This paper does not
try to define the complete protocol, however the basic definition
and the protocol architecture will be defined.

The document first describes the application of Resource Pool
Control protocol, followed by requirements from this Protocol and
then defines the Protocol Architecture with basic protocol
definition. The annexure of the document gives few examples on
RPCP usage.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mahajan-rpcp-protocol-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mahajan-rpcp-protocol-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mahajan-rpcp-protocol-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.