Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ema-vpimv3-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 10:52:59 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Voice Profile for Internet Mail - version 3
	Author(s)	: G. Vaudreuil, G. Parsons
	Filename	: draft-ema-vpimv3-00.txt
	Pages		: 47
	Date		: 01-Feb-99
	
     General electronic mail (email) provides a facility for exchanging
     messages of seemingly arbitrary content.  In common email usage, text
     is the primary media with one or more attachments.

     A class of special-purpose computers has evolved to provide voice
     messaging services.  These machines generally interface to a telephone
     switch and provide call answering and voice messaging services.
     Message exchange between these voice-mail only systems can best be
     achieved using VPIM Version 2.

     Fax messaging is another special purpose messaging system which
     interface to a telephone switch and provide the ability to send and
     receive images over the PSTN.  When sending these messages over the
     Internet rather than the PSTN, the simple mode fax profile defined in
     RFC ABCD should be used.

     Other electronic messaging systems include paging, and short message
     service.  It is expected that other messaging systems developed for
     specific environments will continue to be developed.

     This profile defines a new version of the VPIM specification for the
     interchange of voice messages between a voice messaging system as
     defined in [VPIM] and a unified messaging system.  In this sense, a
     unified messaging system is capable of sending and receiving each of
     several different message types.  Typical unified messaging systems
     today consolidate fax messages, voice messages, and email messages
     into a single system and permit the forwarding a received message of
     one type as an attachment to a message of another type.

     Further, this profile will define the interactions between a media
     agnostic (multi-media) messaging system with unified messaging and
     voice messaging systems.  A media agnostic system may combine several
     media into a single message.  Such a message may not have primary a
     media but rely upon several components to

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ema-vpimv3-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ema-vpimv3-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ema-vpimv3-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.