Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-idea-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:37:46 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Incorporation of IDEA encryption algorithm in S/MIME
	Author(s)	: S. Teiwes, P. Hartmann, D. Kuenzi
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-idea-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 29-Mar-99
	
   This memo describes how to incorporate the IDEA (International Data
   Encryption Algorithm) [IDEA] encryption algorithm into S/MIME
   (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) [SMIME2, SMIME3]. The
   S/MIME standard provides a consistent way to send and receive secure
   MIME [MIME] data. Information security services are implemented on
   the basis of a set of cryptographic functions. Thus, digital
   signatures are used for secure authentication, non-repudiation of
   origin, and data integrity, whereas data encryption is used to assure
   data security and privacy.
 
   S/MIME is constructed as an open system. Its functionality for
   information security purposes can be flexibly extended to meet new
   requirements. At the same time it is assured that extended systems
   will be compatible with non-extended systems.
 
   The general functional capabilities and preferences of S/MIME are
   specified by the registered list of S/MIME object identifiers (OIDs).
   This list of OIDs is maintained by the Internet Mail Consortium at
   <http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/oids.html>.
   The set of S/MIME functions provided by a client is expressed by the
   S/MIME capabilities attribute. This attribute contains a list of OIDs
   of supported cryptographic functions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-idea-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-idea-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-idea-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.