Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kitamura-ipv6-hbh-ext-csi-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:37:56 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Connection/Link Status Investigation (CSI) for IPv6 
                          IPv6 Hop-by-Hop option and ICMPv6 messages Extension
	Author(s)	: H. Kitamura
	Filename	: draft-kitamura-ipv6-hbh-ext-csi-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 11-Mar-99
	
    This document proposes a new mechanism that collects status
    information of nodes along the both outgoing and incoming paths,
    which is called 'Connection/Link Status Investigation (CSI).'
    In order to realize the CSI mechanism, one new IPv6 Hop-by-Hop option
    and three new ICMPv6 messages are proposed as extensions.
 
    The CSI mechanism is as simple as 'ping' mechanism and efficient,
    because the status information of the nodes is ideally collected with
    one pair of request and reply ICMPv6 messages. By using the CSI
    mechanism, more efficient and reliable 'traceroute' type functions
    can be realized.
 
    Since the mechanism provides a generic framework to collect data of
    the nodes, there is potential to apply it to other advanced usages
    easily. The document also clarifies requirements for the mechanism.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kitamura-ipv6-hbh-ext-csi-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kitamura-ipv6-hbh-ext-csi-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kitamura-ipv6-hbh-ext-csi-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.