Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-nielsen-pep-http-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:22:26 -0500

Note:  This announcement is being re-sent with a new filename.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: PEP - an Extension Mechanism for HTTP
	Author(s)	: H. Nielsen, D. Connolly, R. Khare, E. Prud'hommeaux
	Filename	: draft-nielsen-pep-http-00.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 26-Mar-99
	
       HTTP is used increasingly in applications that need more facilities
       than the standard version of the protocol provides, ranging from
       distributed authoring, collaboration, and printing, to various remote        procedure call mechanisms. The Protocol Extension Protocol (PEP) is an
       extension mechanism designed to address the tension between private
       agreement and public specification and to accommodate extension of
       applications such as HTTP clients, servers, and proxies. The PEP
       mechanism is designed to associate each extension with a URI[2], and
       use a few new RFC 822[1] derived header fields to carry the extension
       identifier and related information between the parties involved in an
       extended transaction.
 
       This document defines PEP and describes the interactions between PEP
       and HTTP/1.1[7]. PEP is intended to be compatible with HTTP/1.0[5]
       inasmuch as HTTP/1.1 is compatible with HTTP/1.0 (see [7], section
       19.7). It is proposed that the PEP extension mechanism be included in
       future versions of HTTP.
 
       The PEP extension mechanism may be applicable to other information
       exchange not mentioned in this document. It is recommended that
       readers get acquainted with section 1.4 for a suggested reading of
       this specification and a list of sections specific for HTTP based
       applications.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nielsen-pep-http-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-nielsen-pep-http-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-nielsen-pep-http-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.