Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-frystyk-http-extensions-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:11:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

Note: This revision reflects comments received during the last call period.

	Title		: HTTP Extension Framework
	Author(s)	: H. Nielsen, P. Leach, S. Lawrence
	Filename	: draft-frystyk-http-extensions-03.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 24-Mar-99
	
A wide range of applications have proposed various extensions of the
HTTP protocol. Current efforts span an enormous range, including
distributed authoring, collaboration, printing, and remote procedure
call mechanisms. These HTTP extensions are not coordinated, since
there has been no standard framework for defining extensions and thus,
separation of concerns. This document describes a generic extension
mechanism for HTTP, which is designed to address the tension between
private agreement and public specification and to accommodate
extension of applications using HTTP clients, servers, and proxies.
The proposal associates each extension with a globally unique
identifier, and uses HTTP header fields to carry the extension
identifier and related information between the parties involved in the
extended communication.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-frystyk-http-extensions-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-frystyk-http-extensions-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-frystyk-http-extensions-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.