Subject: Protocol Action: SMTP Service Extension for Authentication to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:20:44 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'SMTP Service Extension for
Authentication' <draft-myers-smtp-auth-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document has been reviewed by, but is not the product of, an IETF
working group.The IESG contact persons are Keith Moore and Patrik
Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
 This document defines a SASL [RFC 2222] authentication profile
 for SMTP, which in turn allows the use of any SASL authentication
 mechanism with SMTP.  The purpose of the extension is to not
 to provide end-to-end authentication or message integrity checks,
 but to allow clients to authenticate themselves to SMTP servers
 for the purpose of message submission.

Working Group Summary

 This document was not reviewed by an IETF working group, but
 has been reviewed by numerous IETF mail experts.  The general
 consensus is that this service is needed and that it is
 adequately defined.

Protocol Quality

 Keith Moore reviewed the spec for IESG.