Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jacobs-imep-auth-arch-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:22:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: MANET Authentication Architecture
	Author(s)	: S. Jacobs, S. Corson
	Filename	: draft-jacobs-imep-auth-arch-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 25-Mar-99
	
   The Internet MANET Encapsulation Protocol (IMEP) is designed to support
   the operation of many routing algorithms or other Upper Layer
   Protocols (ULP) in Mobile Ad hoc Networks (MANET). The MANET computing
   environment is very different from the ordinary computing environment
   in that these mobile computers will be connected to the network via
   wireless links. Such links are particularly vulnerable to
   eavesdropping, replay, spoofing, and other attacks. The use of IMEP
   results in a mobile node relying on other MANET nodes to perform
   routing operations on behalf of the transmitting node. This routing
   function constitutes a significant vulnerability if the IMEP management
   messages are not authenticated. The risk of attacks on MANET routing
   control messages necessitates a MANET Authentication Architecture to
   protect these messages in some networking contexts. Consequently all
   MANET nodes SHOULD be able to perform authentication. The MANET
   Authentication Architecture provides MANET routers with the ability to
   choose between multiple authentication options ranging from simple to
   complex, while leaving the option of no authentication in some
   contexts. IMEP messages between MANET routers are authenticated with
   the IMEP Authentication object.
 
   This document describes how MANET nodes using IMEP and desiring
   authentication SHOULD authenticate IMEP messages. Mechanisms
   described herein will allow these nodes to use either secret key type
   cryptosystems or public key type cryptosystems (with digital
   certificates and digital signatures) for authenticating IMEP management
   messages. The use of of secret key mechanisms will facilitate research
   and experimentation of MANET networks while the use of public key
   cryptosystems will allow MANET to scale to thousands of MANET mobile
   nodes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jacobs-imep-auth-arch-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jacobs-imep-auth-arch-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jacobs-imep-auth-arch-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.