Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:08:19 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Duplicate IP Address Detection Based on 
                          Gratuitous ARP
	Author(s)	: T. Jou
	Filename	: draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-02.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 02-Feb-99
	
   The Address Resolution Protocol specifies the scheme to resolve the
   hardware address of a host by using its IP address. The hardware
   addresses are normally unique for each hardware module because they
   were assigned by manufacturers; but there is much less control on the
   uniqueness of IP addresses on a LAN. With the booming network
   popularity, the possibility of the same IP address being used on
   different hosts is increasing. The duplication may come from users'
   or network administrators' mistakes, or configuration errors on host
   addresses assigning programs such as BOOTP or DHCP servers. This
   document is to define an extension to the original ARP protocol to
   prevent a newly configured host from making much damage to a host
   that has been the owner of the same IP address. The solution is
   based on the de-facto gratuitous ARP packets with modification on a
   host's behavior when an address duplication is detected.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.