Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-macrae-policy-cops-vpn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 18:19:36 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Using COPS for VPN Connectivity
	Author(s)	: M. MacRae, S. Ayandeh
	Filename	: draft-macrae-policy-cops-vpn-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 01-Mar-99
	
   This document proposes a solution for establishing connectivity for
   a network routed VPN. It makes use of a Policy Server to get
   information on the establishment of tunnels between the Edge Devices
   of a Service Provider's network. Use of a Policy Server allows a
   network operator to enable the tunnel topology which is most suited
   to the VPN; provides a mechanism to learn about the current state of
   the VPN connectivity; and enables the addition and removal of
   tunnels to reflect current network demands. The proposed extensions
   are independent of the specific tunneling technology deployed in the
   core of the network, i.e. MPLS, ATM, FR or IP.
 
   The document also defines the extensions required to the COPS
   (Common Open Policy Service) protocol being developed in the IETF
   for communication between the Edge Devices and the Policy Server to
   exchange VPN connectivity information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-macrae-policy-cops-vpn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-macrae-policy-cops-vpn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-macrae-policy-cops-vpn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.