Subject: Document Action: Internet Printing Protocol/1.0 set to Experimental

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:44:11 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Experimental RFCs:

 o Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Encoding and Transport 
   <draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-07.txt> 
 o Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics 
   <draft-ietf-ipp-model-11.txt> 
 o Design Goals for an Internet Printing Protocol
   <draft-ietf-ipp-req-03.txt>
 o Rationale for the Structure of the Model and Protocol for the
   Internet Printing Protocol <draft-ietf-ipp-rat-04.txt>
 o Mapping between LPD and IPP Protocols
   <draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-05.txt> 

These documents are the product of the Internet Printing Protocol
The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Keith Moore.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please include the following as an IESG Note:

  This document defines an Experimental protocol for the Internet community.
  The IESG expects that a revised version of this protocol will be published
  as Proposed Standard protocol.  The Proposed Standard, when published,
  is expected to change from the protocol defined in this memo.
  In particular, it is expected that the standards-track version of the
  protocol will incorporate strong authentication and privacy features,
  and that an "ipp:" URL type will be defined which supports those security
  measures.  Other changes to the protocol are also possible.  Implementors
  are warned that future versions of this protocol may not interoperate with
  the version of IPP defined in this document, or if they do interoperate,
  that some protocol features may not be available.
 
  The IESG encourages experimentation with this protocol, especially
  in combination with Transport Layer Security (TLS) [RFC 2246], to help
  determine how TLS may effectively be used as a security layer for IPP.