Subject: Protocol Action: Application Management MIB to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:00:02 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Application Management MIB'
<draft-ietf-applmib-mib-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
is the product of the Application MIB Working Group.  The IESG contact
persons are Keith Moore and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
 This memo defines an SNMP MIB for use in management of networked
 applications.  Specifically, it defines a framework for using SNMP to
 perform: generic measurement of application throughput (in terms of
 the managed entities' units of work) and response time, generic
 monitoring of resources used by applications, and some features for
 control of applications.  In contrast with the System Application MIB,
 it provides a way to manage application-specific attributes for which
 management requires cooperation of the application.

Working Group Summary

 Design choices were reasonably obvious given the agreed-on scope
 of the document, and there was no significant dissent.

Protocol Quality

 From early experience with implementations this protocol appears to
 be workable.  The specification was reviewed for IESG by Kenneth White.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please change the word "experimental" to "standards track" where it appears in the Abstract.