Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-calhoun-diameter-reliable-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 17:19:47 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DIAMETER Reliable Transport Extensions
	Author(s)	: P. Calhoun, A. Rubens
	Filename	: draft-calhoun-diameter-reliable-01.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 02-Mar-99
	
   Many services that require DIAMETER need retransmission and timeout
   faster than TCP can provide.
 
   An example would be in a NAS environment where DIAMETER is used for
   the authentication and authorization of users. The amount of time
   that it takes for TCP to determine that a connection to a server is
   broken is longer than the disonnect timeout of the PPP clients on
   whose behalf the server is being contacted.
 
   RADIUS has been able to handle this situation by operating over UDP.
   However, RADIUS fails to define a standard retransmission and timeout
   scheme, which has resulted in many different methods across
   implementations.
 
   This DIAMETER specification defines the extensions necessary for the
   base protocol to operate over a non-reliable transport (e.g. UDP).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-reliable-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-calhoun-diameter-reliable-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-reliable-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.