Subject: 44th IETF: BOFs - CNRP, IPP2IFAX

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 18:20:13 -0500

Common Name Resolution Protocol BOF (cnrp)

Tuesday, March 16 at 1300-1530
================================

Chair: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

People often refer to things in the world by a common name or phrase, 
e.g., a trade name, company name, or a book title.  These names are 
sometimes easier for people to remember and enter than URLs; many 
people consider URLs hard to remember or type.

Services are arising that offer a mapping by common name into Internet 
resources; such resolution services include common names such as 
company names and trade names.  Clients of such services are being 
built either as enhancements to browsers (through add-ons, plug-ins), 
or as enhancements to search engines (where common name lookup is one 
possible response to a more general query.)

The BOF will discuss a proposed Working Group charter and an initial 
proposal for the query protocol.

AGENDA:

1) Review of the scope and purpose of the group
2) Review of the proposed charter
3) Discussion of the proposed charter
4) Discussion the query protocol document: draft-popp-protocol-hfn-00.txt

=========================================================================
Internet Print Protocol and Internet Fax BOF (ipp2ifax)

Tuesday, March 16 at 0900-1130
==============================

Chair: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

The Internet Print Protocol [IPP] has been developed within the IETF to 
facilitate the remote printing of documents over the Internet. At a 
sufficient level of abstraction FAX on the General Switched Telephone 
Network [GSTN] could also be considered a remote printing or document 
transfer technology.

The purpose of the work group will be to investigate and document those 
elements of IPP that qualify as a facsimile service. A goal of the WG 
will be to note the legal as well as general custom and practice of 
GSTN FAX, apply those principals to IPP transactions and define IPP 
Attribute Extensions where necessary to more closely perform the 
functions of facsimile.

Current work within the IETF's Internet Fax Working Group has centered 
on using Internet Mail standards in a Store and Forward mode. Considerable 
evidence exists that there is a need for protocols that more closely 
approximate the real-time and point to point model of traditional GSTN FAX.

Traditional GSTN FAX is limited to the type and quality of output. IETF 
Internet Fax standards are also limited to a specific set of MIME 
Content-Types specified in RFC 2301. IPP has no such restrictions on the 
quality of document to be printed or displayed.

The work group will consider attribute extensions and behavioral practice 
elements to IPP that would permit IPP to interoperate with other facsimile 
services such as RFC2305 [Fax over SMTP] and traditional T.30 fax on the 
GSTN.

The WG will attempt to avoid any revisions to the current Internet Print 
Protocol specifications but will attempt to use IPP Attribute Extensions 
to facilitate interoperability with GSTN FAX and RFC2305.

The WG will not propose any revisions or extensions to IETF Internet Fax 
standards [RFC2305] and its successors.

The group will take note of other areas within the IETF that may have 
direct bearing on IPP and FAX interworking.

Relevant areas include: 

- - Security, Authentication and Encryption (SSL3 - TLS)
- - Sender Identification (vCard)
- - RFC2301 File Formats for interoperability with other facsimile services

The working group will take note of service quality issues. 

The working group will coordinate its activities with the Internet Print 
Protocol working group [IPP] and the Internet Fax working group [FAX] as 
well other facsimile-related standards bodies and related work groups, 
notably the ITU-T Study Group 8. 

Goals and Milestones: 

MAY1999: Submit Internet Draft of Goals and Requirements for the use of 
         the Internet Print Protocol as a Facsimile Service

JUNE 1999: Submit Internet Draft for IPP Behavior as a Facsimile Service

AUGUST 1999: Submit Internet Draft of facsimile gateway services between 
             IPP, SMTP and GSTN Facsimile

------- End of Forwarded Message