Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-davie-intserv-compress-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:41:57 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Integrated Services in the Presence of
			  Compressible Flows
	Author(s)	: S. Casner, B. Davie, C. Iturralde, D. Oran, J. 
			  Wroclawski
	Filename	: draft-davie-intserv-compress-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 19-Feb-99
	
An Integrated Services router performs admission control and resource
   allocation based on the information contained in a TSpec (among other
   things).  As currently defined, TSpecs convey information about the
   data rate (using a token bucket) and range of packet sizes of the
   flow in question. However, the TSpec may not be an accurate
   representation of the resources needed to support the reservation if
   the router is able to compress the data at the link level.  This
   draft describes an extension to the TSpec which enables a sender of
   potentially compressible data to provide hints to int-serv routers
   about the compressibility they may obtain.  Routers which support
   appropriate compression take advantage of the hint in their admission
   control decisions and resource allocation procedures; other routers
   ignore the hint.  An initial application of this approach is to
   notify routers performing RTP header compression that they may
   allocate fewer resources to RTP flows.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-davie-intserv-compress-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-davie-intserv-compress-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-davie-intserv-compress-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.