Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-senie-directed-broadcast-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:13:10 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Changing the Default for Directed Broadcasts in Routers
	Author(s)	: D. Senie
	Filename	: draft-senie-directed-broadcast-02.txt
	Pages		: 3
	Date		: 22-Feb-99
	
   Router Requirements [1] specifies that routers must receive and
   forward directed broadcasts. It also specifies that routers MUST have
   an option to disable this feature, and that this option MUST default
   to permit the receiving and forwarding of directed broadcasts.  While
   directed broadcasts have uses, their use on the Internet backbone
   appears to be comprised entirely of malicious attacks on other
   networks.
 
   Changing the required default for routers would help ensure new
   routers connected to the Internet do not add to the problems already
   present.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-senie-directed-broadcast-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-senie-directed-broadcast-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-senie-directed-broadcast-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.