Subject: Protocol Action: Indicating Supported Media Features Using Extensions to DSN and MDN to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:44:30 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

o Indicating Supported Media Features Using Extensions to DSN and MDN
	<draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-05.txt>

o Content feature schema for Internet fax
	<draft-ietf-fax-feature-schema-05.txt> 

o Extended Facsimile Using Internet Mail
	<draft-ietf-fax-eifax-12.txt> 

These documents are the product of the Internet Fax Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Keith Moore and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
 This set of documents, along with documents published earlier,
 defines an "extended" facsimile service based on Internet mail
 protocols, as compared to the "simple" facsimile service defined
 in RFC 2305. The extensions defined here allow additional features
 beyond those defined in simple facsimile, including delivery
 confirmation, processing (e.g. printing) confirmation, and
 discovery of recipient capabilities using the existing Delivery
 Status Notification (DSN) and Message Disposition Notification (MDN)
 standards.

Working Group Summary

 There was significant discussion as to how to preserve as much
 functionality as possible from the traditional telephone-based
 facsimile service, while still retaining compatibility with
 traditional Internet electronic mail software and protocols.

Protocol Quality

 Keith Moore reviewed the specification for IESG.