Subject: 44th IETF: BOFs - SIEVE

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 07:11:27 -0500

Sieve Mail Filtering Language BOF (sieve)

Tuesday, March 16 at 0900-1000
==============================

Chairs: Matthew Wall <[email-masked]>
        Ned Freed <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

Sieve is a proposed standard language for filtering RFC822[bis] messages at
time of final delivery. The basic concept for Sieve was discussed as part
of the Internet Mail architecture within the IETF as early as 1995, and a
formal first BOF was held at the 41st IETF in March, 1998. At the time,
there was strong consensus for standardization along the basic proposed
structure of Sieve, but a mix of consensus about extended functionality and
the basic syntax.

At this time, the participants of the mta-filters mailing list believe that
the base document is ready to move to Proposed Standard upon the resolution
of a number of minor issues. There are multiple implementations, and most
suggestions of extension of scope made at the 41st IETF BOF have not
re-appeared on the mailing list. The primary purpose of the meeting will be
to resolve these issues, update the community at large, and if there are
issues that preclude Sieve from proceeding along Standards-track as is, to
discuss a charter for a working group or other disposition of the work
within the standards track.

AGENDA:

Overview/Status/Agenda check -- Matt Wall -- 10 minutes

Review of Current Syntax -- Tim Showalter -- 15 minutes
Open Issues on draft -- Tim Showalter and Ned Freed -- 45 minutes
(reference, draft-showalter-sieve-06.txt)
 -- Multiple fileinto syntax issue
 -- review of reject/keep discussions
 -- minor syntax issues

Vacation in base spec or as extension? -- 5 minutes

Working Group -- necessary or not at this point? -- Matt and Ned (15
minutes)

A proposed charter will be posted on the mailing list prior to the meeting,
and mirrored on the web site. However, the idea at this point is that a
formal working group is simply not necessary, and this will be prepared as
a "Plan B" in order to continue work under the aegis of the IETF / Apps
area in the event this second BOF does not suffice to bring things to
closure, the work is not laid aside, and further meetings may be required.

The scope of the charter will be limited to completion of the so-called
"base" Sieve grammar and functional requirements.

------- End of Forwarded Message