Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-carlson-nhrp-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 17:29:55 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internetworking Over NBMA Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Guidelines for Next Hop Client (NHC) Developers
	Author(s)	: R. Carlson,  L. Winkler
	Filename	: draft-carlson-nhrp-03.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 02-Mar-99
	
             This document provides guidelines for developers of the
             Next Hop Resolution Protocol Clients (NHC).  It assumes
             that the clients are directly connected to an ATM based
             NBMA network.  The same principles will apply to clients
             connected to other types of NBMA networks.  The intent is
             to define the interaction between the NHC code and the
             TCP/IP protocol stack of the local host operating system.
             The NHC is capable of sending NHRP requests to a Next Hop
             Resolution Protocol Server (NHS) to resolve both inter and
             intra LIS addresses.  The NHS reply may be positive (ACK)
             indicating a short-cut path is available or negative (NAK)
             indicating that a shortcut is not available and the routed
             path must be used.  The NHC must cache (maintain state) for
             both the ACK and NAK replies in order to use the correct
             shortcut or routed path.  The NAK reply must be cached to
             avoid making repeated requests to the NHS when the routed
             path is being used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carlson-nhrp-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-carlson-nhrp-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-carlson-nhrp-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.