Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nfsv4-designconsider-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:37:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: NFS Version 4 Design Considerations
	Author(s)	: S. Shepler
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nfsv4-designconsider-00.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 29-Mar-99
	
   The main task of the NFS version 4 working group is to create a
   protocol definition for a distributed file system that focuses on the
   following items: improved access and good performance on the
   Internet, strong security with negotiation built into the protocol,
   better cross-platform interoperability, and designed for protocol
   extensions.  NFS version 4 will owe its general design to the
   previous versions of NFS.  It is expected, however, that many
   features will be quite different in NFS version 4 than previous
   versions to facilitate the goals of the working group and to address
   areas that NFS version 2 and 3 have not.
 
   This design considerations document is meant to present more detail
   than the working group charter.  Specifically, it presents the areas
   that the working group will investigate and consider while developing
   a protocol specification for NFS version 4.  Based on this
   investigation the working group will decide the features of the new
   protocol based on the cost and benefits within the specific feature
   areas.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-designconsider-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nfsv4-designconsider-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-designconsider-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.