Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:36:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Routing for Wireless/Mobile Hosts 
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: NAI Resolution for Wireless Networks
	Author(s)	: L. Aravamudhan, M. O'Brien, B. Patil
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 03-Mar-99
	
     RFC 2468 [1] defines the need of a standardized format for
     identifying ISP subscribers for dial-up roaming operations. It
     introduced the Network Access Identifier (NAI) to fulfill this
     need. The NAI is provided by the mobile node to the dialed ISP
     during PPP authentication.
 
     The ability to resolve an NAI for second and third generation
     cellular mobile nodes allow traditional cellular service providers
     to evolve their home cellular networks to provide cellular
     services, IP packet data services and so on with a single
     subscription using NAIs. Additionally, this allows cellular
     provider to evolve their networks to be IP based.
 
     Second and third generation cellular mobile nodes must perform a
     registration and authentication process with their wireless service
     provider before the mobile node user may initiate other operations
     (See [1] for examples). These mobile nodes do not support the
     programming of an NAI nor does the cellular registration message
     support the transfer of an NAI to the wireless access network. For
     example, North American cellular networks (e.g. AMPS, TDMA, CDMA)
     service mobile nodes that register with a Mobile Identification
     Number (MIN). The MIN is then associated with a cellular
     subscriber. For the same reasons stated in [1], it would be
     convenient if an option was available to provide the wireless
     subscriber identification in the form of an NAI during the wireless
     registration and authentication process. This draft proposes a
     solution to resolve NAIs from traditional mobile node identifiers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.