Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:33:44 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol
	Author(s)	:  S. Knight, D. Weaver,  D. Whipple,  B. Hinden, 
                           D. Mitzel,  P. Hunt, P. Higginson,  
                           M. Shand, A. Lindem
	Filename	: draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-00.txt
	Pages		: 29
	Date		: 17-Feb-99
	
   This memo defines the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP).
   VRRP specifies an election protocol that dynamically assigns
   responsibility for a virtual router to one of the VRRP routers on a
   LAN.  The VRRP router controlling the IP address(es) associated with
   a virtual router is called the Master, and forwards packets sent to
   these IP addresses.  The election process provides dynamic fail over
   in the forwarding responsibility should the Master become
   unavailable.  This allows any of the virtual router IP addresses on
   the LAN to be used as the default first hop router by end-hosts.  The
   advantage gained from using VRRP is a higher availability default
   path without requiring configuration of dynamic routing or router
   discovery protocols on every end-host.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.