Subject: RFC 2517 on Building Directories from DNS

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:04:27 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2517: 

        Title:	    Building Directories from DNS: Experiences from
		    WWWSeeker
	Author(s):  R. Moats, R. Huber
	Status:     Informational
	Date:       February 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      7
        Characters: 14001
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None  
        I-D Tag:    draft-rfced-info-moats-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2517.txt

There has been much discussion and several documents written about
the need for an Internet Directory.  Recently, this discussion has
focused on ways to discover an organization's domain name without
relying on use of DNS as a directory service.  This memo discusses
lessons that were learned during InterNIC Directory and Database
Services' development and operation of WWWSeeker, an application that
finds a web site given information about the name and location of an
organization.  The back end database that drives this application was
built from information obtained from domain registries via WHOIS and
other protocols.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.