Subject: 44th IETF: BOFs - NITS, PIN (fwd)

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 06:32:36 -0500

Attached are the descriptions (and agenda if provided) for two BOFs
meeting in Minneapolis.

For an up-to-date listing, please visit
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/wg_agenda_minneapolis.html

Networks in the Small - aka Home Networks BOF (nits)

Chairs: Peter Ford <[email-masked]>
        Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

Small networks operate with a variety of protocols today including
AppleTalk, IPX and Netbios. As the industry moves to IP infrastructure 
we will need to provide for similar functionality such as pure ease of
configuration and operation for the IP protocol suite. To that end we
need to to perform service location, name resolution and other network
configuration (such as IPv4 address assignment) in such networks. There
are several individual proposals on the table for parts of a potential
solution, but we need to look at this from a more holistic perspective to
insure great interoperability in small nets such as IP based SOHO LANs.
 
For service discovery we have SLP and DNS SRV records.
 
Peter Ford has a soon to be sent to I-D draft on multicast DNS.
 
Microsoft and Apple are shipping automatic IPv4 address assigned systems.
 
IPv6 has self configuring address.
 
AGENDA:
 
Discuss several of the pieces (5-10 minutes per presenter)
  Peter Ford/Ryan Troll on IPv4 self config
  Woocock/Vixie/Bill on DNS discovery
  Erik Guttman on SLP
  Tom Narten on autoconfig of IPv6
  Perhaps some NAT stuff
 
Discuss a reference stack and its operation?
==============================================================
PSTN Internet Notification BOF (pin)

Chair: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>

BACKGROUND:

With the proliferation and wide acceptance of the Internet, and more so 
with the convergence of the Internet and PSTN, there is an increasing 
desire for events occurring on the PSTN domain to be propagated to the 
Internet domain.

The PIN attempts to fill this void. Entities on the Internet domain can
receive the events generated by the PSTN domain and act appropriately. 
The major entities that comprise of the PIN protocol are the PIN Gateway,
the PIN Server and various PIN clients. The Internet Draft "Need for 
PSTN Internet Notification (PIN) Services" will be published at IETF no 
later then February 19, 1999.

DESCRIPTION:

Current PSTN/Internet Interfaces (PINT) WG addresses connection 
arrangements through which Internet applications can request and enrich 
PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) telephony services.  Some 
Interworking services require Notification and requests for services 
that come from PSTN/IN. Essentially, these requests will be "mirror 
image" of PINT requests.  To provide interoperability between PSTN and 
IP networks, it is very important to ensure notification to the IP 
network of the events happening in PSTN.  PSTN/IN Call Flow is organized
around actions or collections of actions called Point-In-Call (PIC). 
Detection Points (DPs), which are associated with the PICs, operate 
between the PICs and can be the basis for Notification Events for 
Interworking with IP network.  IN furnishes "Network Intelligence" to 
PSTN. Similarly, it can be utilized to initiate Notification Events to 
IP network.

We are proposing new Working Group to be a "mirror image" of the PINT 
WG, regarding direction of the requests for service and dealing with 
Notification only.  Like PINT, PIN will not deal with IP Telephony, 
but rather provide requests for services and Notifications from PSTN/IN 
to IP network in order to augment, extend and enrich PSTN.  PIN WG would
focus on the PIN Protocol Requirements and Definition of Notification 
Processing Language (NPL) - a possible extension to CPL, as well as 
defining connections of Services to the IN DPs.  PIN protocol is a 
specialized protocol used for communication between the PIN Gateway and 
PIN Servers, which may, potentially, be used for communications between 
PIN Servers and PIN Clients.  NPL will allow to build new Notification 
Services and provide means to describe Notification Filters to screen 
PSTN events.  Notification Filter example: Notification for an Attempt 
to Enter Conference from a predefined number in the hours 9 through 17 
only on weekends and holidays.  It is quite possible that existing or 
under development protocols (i.e. SIP, PIP, MGCP, etc.) are sufficient 
to support PIN Services, but that determination is for further study by 
the PIN WG.

The following BOF agenda includes presentations, as well as discussion 
on the issues of proposed WG goals, and charter.  PIN Events and 
services examples from above will be presented and discussed during BOF.

AGENDA (tentative):

1. Agenda bashing - 5 min.
2. Introduction and drivers - Alec Brusilovsky, Lucent - 5 min.
4. PIN Services and Architecture - Vijay Gurbani, Lucent - 10 min.
5. PIN for Advanced Caller ID Delivery, Lev Slutsman, AT&T - 10 min.
6. Lawrence Conroy, Siemens presentation (Title TBD) - 10 min.
7. Goutam Shaw, BridgewaterSystems Definition of requirements and
   protocols that would enable notification - 10 min.
5. Proposed WG goals + discussion - 20 min.
6. Proposed WG Charter + discussion - 15 min
7. Conclusion - 5 min.

------- End of Forwarded Message