Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 17:09:10 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Policy Framework Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Policy Framework Core Information Model
	Author(s)	: J. Strassner, E. Ellesson, R. Moore
	Filename	: draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-02.txt
	Pages		: 41
	Date		: 04-Mar-99
	
   This document takes as its starting point the object-oriented
   information model for representing policy information currently under
   development as part of the Common Information Model (CIM) activity in
   the Desktop Management Task Force (DMTF).  This CIM model defines two
   hierarchies of object classes:  structural classes representing
   policy information and control of policies, and relationship classes
   that indicate how instances of the structural classes are related to
   each other. In general, both of these class hierarchies will need to
   be mapped to a particular data store.
 
   This draft defines the mapping of these DMTF-defined CIM classes to a
   directory that uses LDAPv3 as its access protocol. When mapping to an
   LDAP schema, the structural classes can be mapped more or less
   directly.  The relationship hierarchy, however, must be mapped to a
   form suitable for directory implementation. Since this mapping of the
   relationship classes could be done in a number of different ways,
   there is the risk of non-interoperable implementations.  To avoid
   this possibility, this document provides a single mapping that all
   implementations using an LDAP directory as their policy repository
   SHALL use.
 
   The LDAP schema described in this document consists of five very
   general classes: policyGroup, policyRule, policyCondition,
   policyTimePeriodCondition, and policyAction.  The schema also
   contains two less general classes:  vendorPolicyCondition and
   vendorPolicyAction. Finally, to achieve the mapping of the CIM
   relationships, the schema contains two auxiliary classes:
   policyGroupContainmentAuxClass and policyRuleContainmentAuxClass.
 
   While these classes are general, they are not abstract: they can all
   be directly instantiated.  Policy solutions for specific areas, such
   as DiffServ and IPSec, may use the policyGroup, policyRule, and
   policyTimePeriodCondition classes,

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.