Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jacobs-mobileip-pki-auth-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:21:39 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Mobile IP Public Key Based Authentication
	Author(s)	: S. Jacobs
	Filename	: draft-jacobs-mobileip-pki-auth-01.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 25-Mar-99
	
   Many uses are surfacing for Mobile IP. Researchers are establishing
   test beds. Businesses are looking to use Mobile IP in office and
   warehouse situations. Mobile IP has been incorporated into the CDMA
   digital cellular standards as Service Option 7. The military is
   interested in Mobile IP for tactical communications. These varied
   uses have differing needs for security and authentication. This
   document proposes an extension to the Mobile IP base protocol to
   allow Mobile Nodes (Hosts) and Mobility Agents (both home network
   and foreign network) to use X.509 digital certificates, public keys
   and digital signatures as the basis of authenticating Mobile IP
   control messages in addition to secret key authentication. The use
   of these mechanisms will allow Mobile IP to scale from small research
   environments to potentially millions of mobile nodes across thousands
   of networks owned-operated by different organizations and service
   providers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jacobs-mobileip-pki-auth-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jacobs-mobileip-pki-auth-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jacobs-mobileip-pki-auth-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.