Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-waters-policy-arch-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:37:58 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Policy Framework Architecture
	Author(s)	: G. Waters, J. Wheeler, A. Westerinen,
                          L. Rafalow, R. Moore 
	Filename	: draft-waters-policy-arch-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 03-Mar-99
	
   This document articulates the requirements and basic components of a
   policy-based management architecture.  It focuses on the storage and
   retrieval of policy rules from a directory-based repository, for use
   in the management of network devices.  The architecture is described
   in terms of its functional components and operational characteristics.
   It is intended to be device and vendor independent, interoperable and
   scalable.
 
   There are three basic sections of this draft, addressing:
 
   o the motivation for policy-based management that briefly describes
     the requirements for a policy framework architecture;
 
   o a reference model that defines a first-level functional
     decomposition and captures the key concepts in defining policy
     tools, policy rules, the use of a repository and schema, and the
     mechanisms underlying the definition, storage and retrieval of
     policies; and
 
   o an architecture that describes each of the functional components,
     and includes a narrative about how the architecture will execute.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-waters-policy-arch-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-waters-policy-arch-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-waters-policy-arch-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.