Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-villamizar-mpls-omp-01.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 19:20:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: MPLS Optimized Multipath (MPLS--OMP)
	Author(s)	: C. Villamizar
	Filename	: draft-villamizar-mpls-omp-01.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 26-Feb-99
	
  MPLS ingress routers may establish one or more explicit paths to a
  given egress to the MPLS domain.  Load can be balanced across a com-
  plex topology using MPLS and the technique referred to here as MPLS--
  OMP (Multiprotocol Label Switching -- Optimized Multipath).  The tech-
  nique requires the use of a link state interior gateway protocol (IGP)
  such as OSPF or IS--IS with extensions to the link state protocol to
  flood loading information.  It requires the ingress router be capa-
  ble of computing a hash with a sufficiently fine level of granularity
  based on the IP source and destination and selecting a forwarding
  entry based on the outcome of the hash.
 
  MPLS Optimized Mulitpath is an extension to MPLS. MPLS-OMP requires
  no additions or modification to the MPLS protocols.  MPLS-OMP does
  require that the IGP be capable of flooding loading information as
  described in the OSPF-OMP and ISIS-OMP documents.  At the MPLS ingress
  an algorithm is applied to select alternate paths where needed and
  adjust forwarding.  Forwarding is adjusted gradually enough to insure
  stability yet fast enough to track long term changes in loading.  The
  load adjustment algorithm itself is fully defined in a related docu-
  ment describing OSPF--OMP. The application of this technique to MPLS
  is described here.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-villamizar-mpls-omp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-villamizar-mpls-omp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-villamizar-mpls-omp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.