Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ops-smiv2-tc-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:56:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Textual Conventions for SMIv2
	Author(s)	: K. McCloghrie, D. Perkins, J. Schoenwaelder
	Filename	: draft-ops-smiv2-tc-01.txt
	Pages		: 32
	Date		: 12-Feb-99
	
Management information is viewed as a collection of managed objects,
residing in a virtual information store, termed the Management
Information Base (MIB).  Collections of related objects are defined in
MIB modules.  These modules are written using an adapted subset of OSI's
Abstract Syntax Notation One, ASN.1 (1988) [1], termed the Structure of
Management Information (SMI) [2].

When designing a MIB module, it is often useful to define new types
similar to those defined in the SMI.  In comparison to a type defined in
the SMI, each of these new types has a different name, a similar syntax,
but a more precise semantics.  These newly defined types are termed
textual conventions, and are used for the convenience of humans reading
the MIB module.  It is the purpose of this document to define the
initial set of textual conventions available to all MIB modules.

Objects defined using a textual convention are always encoded by means
of the rules that define their primitive type.  However, textual
conventions often have special semantics associated with them.  As such,
an ASN.1 macro, TEXTUAL-CONVENTION, is used to concisely convey the
syntax and semantics of a textual convention.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ops-smiv2-tc-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ops-smiv2-tc-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ops-smiv2-tc-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.