Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-usefor-article-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:24:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Usenet Article Standard Update Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: News Article Format
	Author(s)	: D. Ritter
	Filename	: draft-ietf-usefor-article-02.txt
	Pages		: 58
	Date		: 26-Mar-99
	
          This Draft defines the format of network news articles, and
          defines roles and responsibilities for humans and software.
 
          Network news articles resemble mail messages but are broadcast
          to potentially large audiences, using a flooding algorithm
          that propagates one copy to each interested  host  (or group
          thereof), typically stores only one copy per host, and does
          not require any central  administration  or  systematic
          registration  of  interested users.  Network news originated
          as the medium  of  communication  for  Usenet,  circa  1980.
 
          The term 'Usenet' refers to the protocols established in RFC
          1036 and successors; the software implementing those protocols;
          the network of hosts exchanging traffic using that software;
          and also the traffic itself. Cooperating subnets are possible;
          these are groups of hosts which agree to hold each other and
          themselves to an internally adopted set of standards concerning
          protocol details or implementations. When a cooperating subnet
          does not exchange traffic with general Usenet hosts, then it
          is no longer a part of Usenet, but a separate entity.
 
          Since  then  Usenet has grown explosively, and most Internet
          sites participate in it.  In addition, the  news  technology
          is now in widespread use for other purposes, on the Internet
          and elsewhere.
 
          This document is intended to provide a definitive guide to the
          article format and interpretations thereof. Backward
          compatibility is a major goal, but where this document and
          earlier documents or practices collide, this document should be used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-usefor-article-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-usefor-article-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-usefor-article-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.