Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chow-diffserv-fbctrl-00.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:19:12 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Feedback Control Extension to Differentiated Services
	Author(s)	: H. Chow, A. Leon-Garcia
	Filename	: draft-chow-diffserv-fbctrl-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 23-Feb-99
	
This draft presents a Feedback Control extension to Differentiated
Services. Differentiated Services have been designed for scalability
through handling aggregates of traffic instead of individual flows as
in the Integrated Services. However, it has been observed that the DS
mechanism in some situations can hardly achieve the desired quality of
service and may result in unfair conditions.  To remedy these
problems, this draft describes a general feedback control paradigm
that enables a network provider to impose a control mechanism upon
their DS domain. As an instance of the general framework, a feedback
control mechanism is proposed. Our simulation analysis demonstrates
that the overall feedback controlled DS can offer a better resource
utilisation and a fair resource sharing. Such control mechanism can
also help enforce the desired service assurances. This document is
intended to stimulate discussion in this direction. Further work is
required to carefully define a set of primitive requirements that
enables interoperability.
 
The pdf and ps version of this document are available at:
http://www.comm.utoronto.ca/~keith/ietf-id/draft-chow-diffserv-fbctrl-
00.pdf,.ps and recommended for the figures it contains.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chow-diffserv-fbctrl-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-chow-diffserv-fbctrl-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chow-diffserv-fbctrl-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.