Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mehra-diffserv-servers-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 18:23:26 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Differentiated Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Architectural Considerations for DiffServ Servers
	Author(s)	: A. Mehra, D. Verma 
	Filename	: draft-mehra-diffserv-servers-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 01-Mar-99
	
       This draft motivates and presents architectural
       considerations for Differentiated Services [DSARCH]
       support in servers (referred to as DiffServ servers).  We
       discuss possible deployment scenarios for Differentiated
       and Integrated Services, and highlight the benefits of
       supporting DiffServ functions on servers.  We outline the
       requirements for DiffServ-enabled servers and propose a
       policy-based architecture that allows IntServ and DiffServ
       functions to coexist on DiffServ servers.  We then propose a
       DiffServ API that can be used by applications to influence
       installed system policies on an application-specific basis,
       and can serve as a candidate for standardization.  We also
       describe a number of host-specific DiffServ functions that
       can be efficiently supported on servers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mehra-diffserv-servers-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mehra-diffserv-servers-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mehra-diffserv-servers-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.