Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-esd-analysis-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:49:04 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPNG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Separating Identifiers and Locators in Addresses:  
                          An Analysis of the GSE Proposal for IPv6
	Author(s)	: M. Crawford, A. Mankin, T. Narten, 
                          J. Stewart, L. Zhang
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-esd-analysis-04.txt
	Pages		: 50
	Date		: 17-Feb-99
	
   On February 27-28, 1997, the IPng Working Group held an interim
   meeting in Palo Alto, California to consider adopting Mike O'Dell's
   'GSE - An Alternate Addressing Architecture for IPv6' proposal [GSE].
   In GSE, 16-byte IPv6 addresses are split into distinct portions for
   global routing, local routing and end-point identification.  GSE
   includes the feature of configuring a node internal to a site with
   only the local routing and end-point identification portions of the
   address, thus hiding the full address from the node.  When such a
   node generates a packet, only the low-order bytes of the source
   address are specified; the high-order bytes of the address are filled
   in by a border router when the packet leaves the site.

   There is a long history of a vague assertion in certain circles that
   IPv4 'got it wrong' by treating its addresses simultaneously as
   locators and identifiers.  Despite these claims, however, there was
   never a complete proposal for a scaleable network protocol which
   separated the functions.  As a result, it wasn't possible to do a
   serious analysis comparing and contrasting a 'separated' architecture
   and an 'overloaded' architecture.  The GSE proposal serves as a
   vehicle for just such an analysis, and that is the purpose of this
   paper.

   We conclude that an architecture that clearly separates locators and
   identifiers in addresses introduces new issues and problems that do
   not have an easy or clear solution.  Indeed, the alleged
   disadvantages of overloading addresses turn out to provide some
   significant benefits over the non-overloaded approach.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-esd-analysis-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipngwg-esd-analysis-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-esd-analysis-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.