Subject: Protocol Action: RFC1240 (OSI Connectionless Transport Services on top of UDP - Version: 1) to Historic

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:38:56 -0500

The IESG has approved reclassifying RFC1240 'OSI Connectionless
Transport Services on top of UDP - Version: 1' as Historic.

The IESG also approved publication of OSI connectionless transport
services on top of UDP Applicability Statement for Historic Status'
<draft-bradner-1240.his-01.txt> as an Informational RFC.

Technical Summary
 
  RFC 1240, "OSI connectionless transport services on top of
  UDP", was published as a Proposed Standard in June 1991 but at
  this time there do not seem to be any implementations which
  follow RFC 1240.  In addition there is a growing concern over
  using UDP-based transport protocols in environments where
  congestion is a possibility.

  The lack of any known implementations and the lack of a
  congestion control mechanism both lead to the conclusion that
  RFC 1240 should be reclassified as Historic.

  The Internet-Draft is an Applicability Statement explaining
  in more detail the advisability of this reclassification.

Working Group Summary

  The reclassification proposal is not the product of an IETF
  working group so it was subjected to a 4-week IETF Last-Call.
  No objections to the reclassification were raised during the
  Last-Call.