Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:18:25 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Policy Framework Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Policy Framework Core Information Model
	Author(s)	: J. Strassner, E. Ellesson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-01.txt
	Pages		: 39
	Date		: 12-Feb-99
	
This document defines an object-oriented information model for
representing policy information. This model defines structural information 
of objects that comprise and control policy (the 'schema', or
class inheritance hierarchy) as well as information that describes
how different objects are related to other objects (the relationship
hierarchy). In general, both of these class hierarchies will need 
to be mapped to a particular data store.

This draft targets a directory that uses LDAP as its access protocol.
As such, the class inheritance hierarchy can be directly mapped, 
but the relationship hierarchy will in general need to be mapped to 
a form suitable for directory implementation. This is because 
it contains concepts that are usually not directly translatable 
to the underlying data store. This document defines a schema and 
one such mapping of relationships for implementation in directories 
using LDAPv3 as their access protocol.

The information model described in this document consists of 
five very general classes:  policyGroup, policyRule, 
policyCondition, policyValidityPeriod Condition, and 
policyAction. While structural information is represented very 
well in LDAP schemas, relationships between objects are not. 
This document also defines how to map more abstract concepts, 
such as relationships, into LDAP schemas. One mechanism to do this mapping 
is to use auxiliary classes. This document defines one such class, 
the policyRuleContainmentAuxClass.

While these classes are general, they are not abstract: they can all
be directly instantiated.  Policy solutions for specific areas, 
such as DiffServ and IPSec, may use the policyGroup, policyRule,
policyValidityPeriodCondition, and policyRuleContainmentAuxClass 
classes directly, while creating their own subclasses derived from
policyCondition and policyAction in order to represent their own 
application-specific needs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-core-schema-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.