Subject: Protocol Action: Reserved IPv6 Subnet Anycast Addresses to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 13:49:55 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Reserved IPv6 Subnet Anycast
Addresses' <draft-ietf-ipngwg-resv-anycast-02.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the IPNG Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
The IP Version 6 addressing architecture defines an "anycast" address
as an IPv6 address that is assigned to one or more network interfaces
(typically belonging to different nodes), with the property that a
packet sent to an anycast address is routed to the "nearest" interface
having that address, according to the routing protocols' measure of
distance.  This document defines a set of reserved anycast addresses
within each subnet prefix, and lists the initial allocation of these
reserved subnet anycast addresses.

Working Group Summary

There was strong WG support for this document. Other documents in the
pipeline (e.g., Mobile IP for IPv6) make use of anycast addresses.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.