Subject: WG Review: Web Replication and Caching (wrec)

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:37:34 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Web Replication and Caching (wrec)
----------------------------------

 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     John Martin <[email-masked]>
     Bill Maggs <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Director(s): 
     Keith Moore  <[email-masked]>
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Applications Area Advisor: 
     Keith Moore  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:wre @cs.utk.edu
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
     Archive:           ftp://cs.utk.edu/pub/wrec

The purpose of this working group is to define a co-ordinated caching 
and replication framework for the world wide web.

Replication of web services and caching of http responses are distinct 
paradigms that to a large degree require distinct solutions. However, it 
is also important that web caches and replicated services be able to 
coexist.  Ultimately, the working group will define a framework for 
efficient, reliable, and predictable service in a web which includes 
both replicas and caches.  Part of this framework will be a means by 
which replicas and caches may be automatically discovered and utilized 
by clients.

Because of the wide variety of caching and replication solutions which 
are already in use, the initial task of the group is to familiarize 
itself with the diversity of existing practice. The group will therefore 
produce a document which provides a taxonomy of existing caching / 
replication developments and terminology which would be used as a 
reference for later work. In parallel with this, existing protocols and 
standards which are not publicly documented will be submitted to the 
IESG for publication as informational RFCs by their respective 
proponents. Once the initial phase is complete, the group will make a 
recommendation as to whether further protocol work is necessary or 
desirable, and submit a revised charter for consideration by IESG and 
IAB.