Subject: Protocol Action: TCP Congestion Control to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:31:42 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'TCP Congestion Control'
<draft-ietf-tcpimpl-cong-control-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document obsoletes RFC 2001.

The IESG also approved The NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery
Algorithm <draft-ietf-tcpimpl-newreno-02.txt> as an Experimental RFC.

These documents are the product of the TCP Implementation Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary

  The TCP Congestion Control document specifies four TCP
  congestion control algorithms: slow start, congestion
  avoidance,  fast retransmit and fast recovery.   The document
  is an update of RFC 2001.  In addition to specifying
  the congestion control algorithms, it specifies what TCP
  connections should do after a relatively long idle period,
  as well as specifying and clarifying some of the issues
  pertaining to TCP ACK generation.

  The NewReno Modification document describes a specific
  algorithm for responding to partial acknowledgments, referred
  to as NewReno.  This document is published as an Experimental
  RFC to elicit implementation and testing experience.

Working Group Summary

  There was significant discussion about early versions of these
  documents but all issues were resolved in the final versions.

Protocol Quality
  These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner