Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gellens-otasp-acap-00.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:38:38 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Wireless Device Configuration (OTASP/OTAPA) via ACAP
	Author(s)	: R. Gellens
	Filename	: draft-gellens-otasp-acap-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 25-Feb-99
	
    Wireless carriers today are faced with creating more efficient
    distribution channels, increasing customer satisfaction, while also
    improving margin and profitability.  Industry trends are pushing the
    sale of handsets further into the retail channel.  The cost and
    effort of provisioning handsets, activating users, and updating
    handset parameters can be greatly reduced by using over-the-air
    activation mechanisms.  A comprehensive and extensible means for
    over-the-air provisioning and handset parameter updating is
    required.
 
    One approach is to purchase EIA/TIA/IS-683A (Over-the-air Service
    Provisioning of Mobile Stations in Spread Spectrum Systems)
    equipment.  The cost of this has led carriers to seek alternative
    solutions.  A very viable means for providing over-the-air (OTA)
    provisioning is to leverage the rollout of IS-707 data services
    equipment, which most carriers are in the process of deploying.
    This paper presents an approach to OTA provisioning that utilizes
    the deployment of IS-707 to deliver OTA provisioning and parameter
    upgrading.
 
    IS-707 data services makes available several methods of providing
    over-the-air provisioning and parameter updating.  A well
    thought-out approach utilizing Internet-based open standard
    mechanisms can provide an extensible platform for further carrier
    service offerings, enhanced interoperability among back-end
    services, and vendor independence.
 
    This paper describes a viable and attractive means to provide
    OTASP/OTAPA via IS-707, using the ACAP [ACAP] protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-otasp-acap-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gellens-otasp-acap-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gellens-otasp-acap-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.