Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ahlard-boomerang-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 17:13:27 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Boomerang - A Simple Resource Reservation Framework for IP
	Author(s)	: D. Ahlard, J. Bergkvist, I. Cselenyi, T. Engborg
	Filename	: draft-ahlard-boomerang-framework-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 02-Mar-99
	
    This draft describes a framework for providing quantitative IP
    services with guaranteed QoS. Although the proposed reservation
    approach is based on a new, lightweight signaling protocol, it can
    be used with interoperability with other IP QoS techniques such as
    Diff-Serv, Int-Serv.
 
        Distinguishing features of the Boomerang protocol are:
           * signaling messages are generated only by the initiating
             node, therefore complexity and intelligence is
             concentrated in one point enabling simple implementation
           * flow state aggregation can be suggested to subsequent
             nodes by appending the Boomerang message, thus good
             scalability can be achieved
           * bi-directional reservation can be made independently of
             the path, which yields a fast and effective reservation
             process
           * the only requirement on the far-end node is that it
             should be able to bounce the Boomerang message back,
             ensuring quick penetration into the current Internet.

        There is a lab prototype in which the Boomerang protocol is
    wrapped in ICMP ECHO / ECHO-REPLY (PING) messages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ahlard-boomerang-framework-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ahlard-boomerang-framework-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ahlard-boomerang-framework-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.