Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pank-mail-destruct-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 17:01:46 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Self-Destruct E-mail
	Author(s)	: I. Pank
	Filename	: draft-pank-mail-destruct-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 23-Mar-99
	
   As e-mail use is becoming more prevalent and the applications of  its
   use  more  diverse  it is increasingly becoming a burden to users and
   system administration staff to maintain message stores and 'weed-out'
   obsolete  messages.   The  problem  also manifests itself as a direct
   cost to organisations trying to maintain storage space  for  user  e-
   mail  messages where a considerable proportion of messages are simply
   forgotten and lay dormant.
 
   RFC 822 defines a message representation protocol specifying  details
   about  US-ASCII  message  headers.   As an extension to this protocol
   this memo proposes the introduction of an additional header to enable
   e-mail messages to 'self-destruct' after a specified period depending
   on a number of  conditions  that  may  have  been  specified  by  the
   originator  or  can  subsequently be (re-)specified by the recipient.
   This memo also proposes possible client  and  server  implementations
   with  a  view  of  soliciting  feedback  and  further refining of the
   extensions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pank-mail-destruct-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pank-mail-destruct-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pank-mail-destruct-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.