Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-wolf-vpp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 12:04:06 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: VPP: Virtual Presence Protocol
	Author(s)	: K. Wolf
	Filename	: draft-wolf-vpp-01.txt
	Pages		: 42
	Date		: 29-Jan-99
	
   The purpose of the Virtual Presence Protocol (VPP) protocol is to
   enable the exchange of document based virtual presence information.
   Virtual presence information is the foundation for virtual
   neighborhood services which provide users with information about
   virtual neighbors, i.e. other users who are close within the virtual
   document space. VPP enables the creation of dynamic vicinities based
   on hypertext references. It is not meant to replace or supersede
   presence notification protocols, but it augments online presence with
   location information. The protocol described in this document is
   based on 2 years of experience with location based virtual presence
   and presence notification.

   The purpose of presence notification protocols such as the drafted
   [RVP] is to tell whether another individual is online or arrives
   online, etc. As opposed to such real online presence, the presence on
   documents in the World Wide Web is a virtual one. The authors
   recognize that VPP shares methods, mechanisms, and formats with HTTP,
   and drafted presence notification protocols (e.g. RVP, IMPP), however
   the functionality is significantly different.

   Changes since draft-wolf-vpp-00.txt: Added event types, IANA assigned
   port 677, extended service URL lookup to simplify VPP hosting, added
   SELECT update method, adapted to latest XML name space spec, maxdata
   and more-tag.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wolf-vpp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-wolf-vpp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wolf-vpp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.