Subject: RFC 2556 on RFC 1240 to Historic

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:49:46 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2556: 

        Title:	    OSI connectionless transport services on top
                    of UDP Applicability Statement for Historic Status
	Author(s):  S. Bradner
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       March 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
	Pages:      4
        Characters: 5864
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None  
        I-D Tag:    draft-bradner-1240.his-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2556.txt

RFC 1240, "OSI connectionless transport services on top of UDP", was
published as a Proposed Standard in June 1991 but at this time there
do not seem to be any implementations which follow RFC 1240.  In
addition there is a growing concern over using UDP-based transport
protocols in environments where congestion is a possibility.
 
This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.