Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-miller-homedisc-req-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 17:21:16 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Home Networking Device and Service 
                          Discovery Requirements
	Author(s)	: B. Miller, T. Narten, M. Peters, J. Tavs
	Filename	: draft-miller-homedisc-req-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 02-Mar-99
	
  Networks in the home and similar environments typically do not
  have, and should not be expected to have a full range of network
  services such as DHCP servers, DNS and the like.  Further,
  networks in the home and similar environments may have only
  occasional connectivity to a larger network such as the Internet
  where these types of services may exist.  Typical users of
  home networks may not have the skills or desire to install,
  configure, administer and maintain a sophisticated home network.
 
  To enable the effective use of networks in the home and similar
  environments, methods for discovering devices and services in
  the network are needed.  These methods need to work for
  occasionally connected and often resource-poor networks such as
  are typically found in the home.  These methods also need to
  be self-configuring, requiring only minimal involvement of users
  of a home or similar network to configure and maintain that
  network.
 
  This document presents requirements for the discovery of devices
  and services in a home network or similar environment.  These
  requirements are intended to form a basis that enables further
  work toward solutions in this area.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-miller-homedisc-req-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-miller-homedisc-req-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-miller-homedisc-req-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.