Subject: Protocol Action: Base Definitions of Managed Objects for TN3270E Using SMIv2 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 14:12:31 -0500

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Proposed
Standards:

o Base Definitions of Managed Objects for TN3270E Using SMIv2
	<draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn3270-mib-10.txt>

o Definitions of Protocol and Managed Objects for TN3270E Response Time
  Collection Using SMIv2 (TN3270E-RT-MIB)
	<draft-ietf-tn3270e-rt-mib-07.txt>

These documents are the product of the Telnet TN3270 Enhancements
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Keith Moore and Patrik
Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
"Base Definitions of Managed Objects for TN3270E Using SMIv2"
defines a MIB for configuring and managing TN3270E servers.
TN3270E is defined in RFC 2355 and consists of extensions to
the Telnet protocol for enhanced 3270 terminal emulation.

"Definitions of Protocol and Managed Objects for TN3270E Response
Time Collection Using SMIv2"  defines a protocol and a MIB for
performing response time data collection on TN3270 and TN3270E
sessions by a TN3270E server.

Working Group Summary

Several design issues had to be sorted out, including how to index
sessions, how to account for multiple TN3270 Servers at the same
managed SNMP box, how to do moving-average calculations, and how to
calculate the response-time in the absence of information from both
end-points.  But there was not significant dissent on the decisions
once reached.

Protocol Quality

The specification was reviewed for IESG by John Flick and Helena Lingham.