Subject: Protocol Action: Definitions of Managed Objects for Scheduling Management Operations to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 08:53:43 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

o Definitions of Managed Objects for Scheduling Management Operations
  <draft-ietf-disman-schedule-mib-06.txt>
o Definitions of Managed Objects for the Delegation of Management
  Scripts <draft-ietf-disman-script-mib-08.txt>

These document are the product of the Distributed Management Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Harald
Alvestrand.

To: IETF-Announce:;
Dcc: *******
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Subject: Protocol Action: Definitions of Managed Objects for Scheduling
	 Management Operations to Proposed Standard
-------------

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

o Definitions of Managed Objects for Scheduling Management Operations
  <draft-ietf-disman-schedule-mib-06.txt>
o Definitions of Managed Objects for the Delegation of Management
  Scripts <draft-ietf-disman-script-mib-08.txt>

These document are the product of the Distributed Management Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Harald
Alvestrand.

 
Technical Summary
 
 The DISMAN-SCHEDULE-MIB defines a portion of the Management
 Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in
 the Internet community.
 In particular, it describes a set of managed objects that are used to
 schedule management operations periodically or at specified dates and
 times.

 The DISMAN-SCRIPT-MIB defines a portion of the Management Information
 Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet
 community.
 In particular, it describes a set of managed objects that allow the
 delegation of management scripts to distributed managers.

Working Group Summary

 During the working group last call period for the script and schedule
 MIB documents, several minor technical issues were raised by working
 group members, reviewers, and implementors.  None of these resulted
 in fundamental changes to either of the documents, but appropriate
 corrections, clarifications and editorial improvements were made.

 At the close of working group last call, we had clear consensus on
 both documents, with no unresolved issues.

 Both documents have been technically stable since last Summer.
 Known design choices have been resolved.
 The schedule MIB is based on well-understood scheduling models,
 and the script MIB builds on experience gained with established
 commercial products from different vendors.

 Feedback during the working group last call came from multiple
 sources, including two independent implementation efforts.
 The existance and wide deployment of commercial products in this space
 should serve as prima facie evidence of its value.

 There are some "global" disman issues having to do with supporting more
 sophisticated approaches to the delegation of access rights that have
 been discussed in working group meetings.  The general feeling of the
 working group was that the current approach built on SNMPv3 and VACM
 has sufficient value to be worth deploying, and that it is desirable
 to gain implementation experience before deciding whether these much
 more elaborate models would really be necessary.

Technical Summary
 
 The DISMAN-SCHEDULE-MIB defines a portion of the Management
 Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in
 the Internet community.
 In particular, it describes a set of managed objects that are used to
 schedule management operations periodically or at specified dates and
 times.

 The DISMAN-SCRIPT-MIB defines a portion of the Management Information
 Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet
 community.
 In particular, it describes a set of managed objects that allow the
 delegation of management scripts to distributed managers.

Working Group Summary

 During the working group last call period for the script and schedule
 MIB documents, several minor technical issues were raised by working
 group members, reviewers, and implementors.  None of these resulted
 in fundamental changes to either of the documents, but appropriate
 corrections, clarifications and editorial improvements were made.

 At the close of working group last call, we had clear consensus on
 both documents, with no unresolved issues.

 Both documents have been technically stable since last Summer.
 Known design choices have been resolved.
 The schedule MIB is based on well-understood scheduling models,
 and the script MIB builds on experience gained with established
 commercial products from different vendors.

 Feedback during the working group last call came from multiple
 sources, including two independent implementation efforts.
 The existance and wide deployment of commercial products in this space
 should serve as prima facie evidence of its value.

 There are some "global" disman issues having to do with supporting more
 sophisticated approaches to the delegation of access rights that have
 been discussed in working group meetings.  The general feeling of the
 working group was that the current approach built on SNMPv3 and VACM
 has sufficient value to be worth deploying, and that it is desirable
 to gain implementation experience before deciding whether these much
 more elaborate models would really be necessary.

Protocol Quality

 These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Robert Moore.
 They were further reviewed by Bert Wijnen.

 At least two independent implementations of the script MIB
 have already been mentioned on the working group mailing list.