Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-popp-cnrp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:13:25 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A resolution protocol for Common Name Namespaces
	Author(s)	: N. Popp, M. Mealling
	Filename	: draft-popp-cnrp-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 24-Feb-99
	
     People often refer to things in the world by a common name
     or phrase, e.g., a trade name, company name, or a book title.
     These names are sometimes easier for people to remember and
     enter than URLs; many people consider URLs hard to remember
     or type.
 
     This document proposes an abstract protocol for the resolution of
     common names. The protocol is based on XML, RDF and the Dublin
     Core metadata elements. The proposed mechanism allows for a very
     dynamic resolution process where the client has no predefined
     knowledge of the namespace or the resolution service. The protocol
     supports an extensible query and response interface with multiple
     independent XML vocabularies. Furthermore, it allows for multiple
     concrete implementations (HTTP, LDAP, WHOIS,...). Both the specifics
     of the query interface and the type of implementation can be
     discovered at runtime by the resolution client.
 
     This document is intended for discussion at the Common Name
     Resolution Protocol BOF (renamed from Human Friendly Identifier
     BOF). It may be discussed on [email-masked]. Send in
     body \021subscribe cnrp-ietf\022 to [email-masked]. The mail
     archive is at http://lists.netsol.com/lists/cnrp.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-popp-cnrp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-popp-cnrp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-popp-cnrp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.