Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:43:20 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Per Hop Behaviors Based on  Dynamic Packet States
	Author(s)	: I. Stoica, H. Zhang, S. Shenker,  R. Yavatkar,
                          D. Stephens, A. Malis, Y. Bernet, Z. Wang,
                          F. Baker, J. Wroclawski, C. Song, R. Wilder
	Filename	: draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-00.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 03-Mar-99
	
        This document proposes a family of Per Hop Behaviors (PHBs) based on
        Dynamic Packet State (DPS) in the context of the differentiated
        service architecture. With these PHBs, distributed algorithms can be
        devised to implement services with flexibility, utilization, and
        assurance levels similar to those that can be provided with per flow
        mechanisms.
 
        With Dynamic Packet State, each packet carries in its header, in
        addition to the PHB codepoint, some PHB-specific state. The state is
        initialized by the ingress node. Interior nodes process each incoming
        packet based on the state carried in the packet's header, updating
        both its internal state and the state in the packet's header before
        forwarding it to the next hop. By using DPS to coordinate actions of
        edge and interior nodes along the path traversed by a flow,
        distributed algorithms can be designed to approximate the behavior of
        a broad class of 'stateful' networks using networks in which interior
        nodes do not maintain per flow state.
 
        We give several examples of services that can be implemented by PHBs
        based on DPS. These include weighted fair share service, penalty box
        service, guaranteed service (with mathematically proven worst case
        bounds), and distributed bandwidth broker service.  We also discuss
        several possible solutions for encoding Dynamic Packet State that
        have the minimum incompatibility with IPv4.
 
        For more details see http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~istoica/DPS

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.