Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-qos-routing-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 17:36:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: QoS Resource Management in MPLS-Based Networks
	Author(s)	: G. Ash, B. Jamoussi, Y. Lee,  O. Aboul-Magd
	Filename	: draft-ash-qos-routing-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 01-Mar-99
	
Efficient QoS resource management is needed for a host of existing and
ever-increasing new services. For service performance, flexibility, and
reduced cost it is preferable to provide integration of these services on a
shared network.  Such integration and sharing is facilitated by QoS resource
management techniques described in the draft which are applicable to
MPLS-based networks.  Such QoS resource management techniques are used in
PSTNs to standardize service classification, bandwidth allocation, bandwidth
protection, and priority routing treatment for all network services.  In the
draft we illustrate the principles of QoS resource management and describe
their application to MPLS-based networks. In the proposed QoS resource
management method, bandwidth is allocated in discrete changes to each of
three virtual networks (VNs) corresponding to high-priority key services,
normal priority services, and best-effort lower priority services.
Bandwidth changes in VN bandwidth capacity are determined by edge
switch/routers based on an overall aggregated bandwidth demand for VN
capacity (not on a per-connection demand basis).  Based on the aggregated
bandwidth demand, these edge switch/routers make periodic discrete changes
in bandwidth allocation, that is, either increase or decrease bandwidth on
the constraint-based routing label switched paths (CRLSPs) constituting the
VN bandwidth capacity. We propose to add optional parameters in the
constraint-based routing label distribution protocol (CRLDP) for QoS
resource management.  In particular, we propose an optional depth-of-search
(DoS) type/length/value (TLV) parameter in the CRLDP label request message
to control the bandwidth allocation on individual links in a CRLSP.  In
addition, we propose an optional modify-TLV parameter in the CRLDP label
request message to allow modification of the assigned traffic parameters
(such as peak data rate, committed data rate, etc.) of an already existing
CRLSP.  Finally, we propose a crankback-TLV parameter in the CRLDP
notification message to allow an edge switch/router to search out additional
alternate CRLSPs when a given CRLSP cannot accommodate a bandwidth request.
This draft addresses point-to-point QoS resource management, multipoint QoS
resource management is left for future study.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-qos-routing-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ash-qos-routing-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ash-qos-routing-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.