Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-slutsman-aicd-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:41:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Advance Internet Caller-ID Delivery Service
	Author(s)	: L. Slutsman
	Filename	: draft-slutsman-aicd-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 19-Feb-99
	
The  Internet  Call  Waiting  (ICW)  has  recently  become a standard
   'check-list' service offered  by  many  Telecommunications
   providers such as  Nortel  and  Lucent.    While differing in many
   details, all these schemes rely on the LEC provider ability to
   detect  and  signal the 'busy-line'  state.    This  signal triggers
   the execution of the service logic that provides the desirable
   effect.  As a  result,  the Internet  Call Waiting is most
   meaningful when offered by LEC [6] but of limited interest for
   long-distance providers, such as  AT&T,  MCI, etc.   In  the broader
   prospective, ICW may be considered a member of the class of services
   that manage incoming calls by making use of  an Internet
   connection.  Of special interest the Long Distance Providers is  a
   specific subclass of services that 'by-passes' LEC; the purpose of
   this paper is to begin the discussion of what can  be  implemented
   when LEC services are either not available or not desirable.  To
   this end  we  introduce  a  service--Advance  Internet  Caller-ID
   Delivery Service--that comes 'close' to ICW and yet,  does  not
   rely  on  the terminating  LEC.  In  addition,    this  service
   related to the PINT 'click-to-dial' service and could make use of
   the PINT protocol.

   The rest of this document is as follows:
 
   Section 2 describes the service offered to the end Subscriber.
 
   Section 3 describes the architecture requirements  to  support    the
   Advance Intenet Calle-ID Delivery Service.
 
   Section 4 descibes the call flows for typical scenarios.
 
   Sections  5  and  6  respectively  supply  referneces and provide the
   author address.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-slutsman-aicd-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-slutsman-aicd-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-slutsman-aicd-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.