Subject: 44th IETF: BOFs - FYIUP, IPSP (fwd)

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 06:49:18 -0500

Attached are the descriptions (and agenda if provided) for two BOFs
meeting in Minneapolis.

For an up-to-date listing, please visit
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/wg_agenda_minneapolis.html

FYI Updates BOF (fyiup)

Chairs: Philip Nesser <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

The FYIUP BOF will discuss plans for a Working Group that will 
oversee the work of updating three existing FYI documents. These 
documents are some that the User Services Area has determined 
are out of date, but contain information that would be useful to 
the Internet community to update.

The documents are:

 FYI 7: FYI on Questions and Answers: Answers to commonly asked
 "experienced Internet user" questions.

 FYI 15: Privacy and Accuracy Issues in Network Information Center
 Databases.

 FYI 27: Tools for DNS debugging.

AGENDA:
 
10 mins   Intro and Agenda Bashing
20 mins   Discussion of FYI 7
20 mins   Discussion of FYI 15
20 mins   Discussion of FYI 27
20 mins   Discussion of charter and milestones
10 mins   Close
=============================================================
IP Security Policy BOF (ipsp)

Chairs: Luis A. Sanchez <[email-masked]>
        Roy Pereira <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

The rapid growth of the Internet and the need to control access to
network resources (bandwidth, routers, hosts, etc.) has quickly
identified the need for representing, discovering, exchanging and
managing the policies that control access to these resources in a
scalable, secured and reliable fashion.

Current IP security protocols [RFC2401-2412] can exchange keying
material using IKE [RFC2409] and protect data flows using the AH
[RFC2402] and/or ESP protocols [RFC2406]. The scope of IKE limits 
the protocol to the authenticated exchange of keying material 
between the source and destination of a communication.

However, along the path of communication, there may be intermediate
policy constraints in entities such as security gateways and router
filters. There is a need for end hosts of a communication and/or, 
for their respective administrative entities, to securely discover 
and negotiate access control information for the end hosts and for 
the policy enforcement points (security gateways, routers, etc.) 
along the path of the communication.

To address these problems the IPSP Working Group will:

  1) specify a data model for supporting IP security policies, 

  2) specify an extensible IPSec policy specification language, and;

  3) develop a policy discovery, exchange and resolution protocol 
     independent of any security protocol suite and key management 
     protocol.

The proposed work item for this group would yield standards that 
are compatible with the existing IPSec architecture [RFC 2401] and 
IKE, complementing the standards work achieved by the IPSec Working
Group. The data model, specification language and exchange protocol
will be derived from the following documents:

	draft-ietf-ipsec-policy-model-00.txt
	draft-ietf-ipsec-vpn-policy-schema-00.txt
	draft-ietf-ipsec-spsl-00.txt
	draft-ietf-ipsec-sps-00.txt

This group will coordinate with other IETF working groups working 
on specifying policies and policies schemas in order to maintain
compatibility and interoperability.

AGENDA:

- - Agenda bashing
- - Presentation: do we need policy based security management?
- - Presentation: what are the requirements for any solution?
- - Series of short presentations of related work
- - Open discussion and consensus gathering: do we need to form a WG to
  do the proposed work?
- - Collect feedback and modify charter
- - adjourn

------- End of Forwarded Message