Subject: Protocol Action: Assured Forwarding PHB Group to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 08:11:09 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Drafts for publication as Proposed
Standards:

o Assured Forwarding PHB Group <draft-ietf-diffserv-af-06.txt>

o An Expedited Forwarding PHB <draft-ietf-diffserv-phb-ef-02.txt> 

These documents are the product of the Differentiated Services Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
 The Assured Forwarding PHB Group (AF) document defines a general use
 group of Differentiated Services Per-Hop-Behaviors (PHBs ) which provide
 delivery of IP packets in four independently forwarded AF classes.
 Within each AF class, an IP packet can be assigned one of three
 different levels of drop precedence.  A DS node does not reorder
 IP packets of the same microflow if they belong to the same AF class.

 The Expedited Forwarding PHB (EF) document defines a general use
 Differentiated Services Per-Hop-Behavior (PHB) which can be used
 to build a low loss, low latency, low jitter, assured bandwidth,
 end-to-end service. One example service that can br supported by
 the EF PHB is a "virtual leased line."

Working Group Summary

 There was little working group disagreement over the Expedited Forwarding
 PHB proposal. There were only minor changes in response to the
 working group last-call.

 There was significant working group discussion over the details of the
 Assured Forwarding PHB Group document. The document underwent a number
 of revisions to resolve the issues.  There was working group consensus
 on the final version.

Protocol Quality

 These documents have been reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.

Notes to RFC Editor:

1. In I-D draft-ietf-diffserv-phb-ef-02.txt, please insert an "IANA 
   considerations" section as follows:

	This document allocates one codepoint, 101110, in Pool 1
      of the code space defined by [RFC2474].

2. In I-D draft-ietf-diffserv-af-06.txt, please insert after the first 
   occurrence of the word "microflow" in section 1:

	, as defined in [Nichols],

3. Please insert the word "However, " before the sentence

   The traffic conditioning actions MUST NOT cause reordering
   of packets of the same microflow.

   in the first paragraph of Section 3.

4. In I-D draft-ietf-diffserv-af-06.txt, please insert an "IANA
   Considerations" section as follows:

	This document allocates twelve codepoints, listed in section 6,
        in Pool 1 of the code space defined by [Nichols].