Subject: Protocol Action: RADIUS Authentication MIBs to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:15:28 -0400

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Proposed
Standards:

o RADIUS Authentication Client MIB
	<draft-ietf-radius-auth-clientmib-05.txt>

o RADIUS Authentication Server MIB
	<draft-ietf-radius-auth-servmib-05.txt> 

In the same action, the IESG approved publication of the following
Internet-Drafts as Informational RFCs:

o RADIUS Accounting Client MIB
	<draft-ietf-radius-acc-clientmib-05.txt>

o RADIUS Accounting Server MIB
	<draft-ietf-radius-acc-servmib-05.txt> 

These documents are the product of the Remote Authentication Dial-In
User Service Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen
and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
 These documents define a set of extensions which instrument
 RADIUS (Remote Dial-In User Services) authentication and accounting
 functions, both on the client and on the server side. These
 extensions represent a portion of the Management Information Base
 (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet
 community.  Using these extensions management stations can manage
 RADIUS authenication and accounting clients and servers.

 During IETF Last Call one comment pointed out that these
 MIBs use IPv4 addresses and so they do not cater for IPv6.
 We do not know of any current RADIUS authentication and accounting
 servers andcleints supporting IPv6, so it is not an immediate
 issue. It turns out that quite a few standards track MIBs have
 the same problem and so a standard solution is needed. We do not
 want to hold up these 4 MIBs for that. They can address the issue
 with the next revision when we will have a standard solution
 for this problem.

Working Group Summary

 These documents represent the consensus of the Working Group.

Protocol Quality

 The documents were reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.