Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kempf-slp-rescap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:27:09 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : iSLP: Resource Discovery on the Internet with
			  Service Location Protocol
	Author(s)	: J. Kempf
	Filename	: draft-kempf-slp-rescap-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 22-Apr-99
	
The danger in defining a new protocol specifically for discovering
resources on the Internet is that, like DNS, the protocol would
probably be deployed internally as well.  Developers would then have
the opportunity to use the protocol to perform service discovery on
the client side by downloading resources and inferencing over them
rather than using protocols such as Service Location Protocol (SLP)
or Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) that inference on
the server side.  Besides the increased amount of network traffic
involved in transferring attributes rather than the smaller query,
every client would need to incorporate its own inferencing code.  In
this document, we discuss how the requirements for wide area resource
discovery can be met by slightly modifying SLP to remove features
more appropriate for internal networks and by establishing a few
naming conventions.  An added benefit of this design is that Internet
clients can perform service discovery as well as simple resource
discovery.  It should be noted the proposals in this document are not
meant to suggest that SLP is the only or even the best candidate for
Internet resource discovery among existing protocols.  The point of
this paper is to emphasize the need for a concerted effort to make an
existing discovery or directory services protocol fill the Internet
resource discovery niche, rather than inventing yet another protocol
offering discovery or directory services capabilites.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kempf-slp-rescap-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kempf-slp-rescap-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kempf-slp-rescap-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.