Subject: Protocol Action: Telnet X.3 PAD option to Historic Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 08:58:08 -0500

The IESG has approved reclassifying RFC1053, Telnet X.3 PAD option as
Historic.

The IESG contact persons are Keith Moore and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
 RFC 1053 specified a way to send X.3 PAD (packet assembler/dissembler)
 codes over telnet.   It was an attempt to use the same terminal
 services over telnet as were defined by (then) CCITT for use over X.25,
 to acheive better interoperation between telnet and X.25.  However,
 RFC 1053 was neither widely implemented nor widely used, and other
 telnet options (which are widely implemented and widely used) provide
 a useful subset of this functionality with less complexity.

Working Group Summary

 This action was reviewed in an IETF last call and by consulting
 the [email-masked] mailing list.  There were no objections
 to the status change proposal.  In addition, the archives the
 Telnet Linemode Working Group indicate that that group made a
 decision to abandon RFC 1053 in June of 1988, soon after its
 publication, in favor of RFC 1184.

Protocol Quality

 Keith Moore reviewed the action for IESG.