Subject: IPv6MIB Design Team

From: "Bert Wijnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:00:21 -0400

Charter for the IPv6MIB Design Team

 The SNMP and IPv6 communities have expressed a need for a common
 method of defining and using IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in MIBs.
 Many MIBs currently use the IpAddress SYNTAX,which is IPv4-specific.
 There is concern that use of this SYNTAX may inadvertantly exclude
 implementations for IPv6.

 In order to get this work done rapidly and thoroughly, the O&M and
 Internet ADs have asked a small team to carry out the following work:

  o  Investigate definitions and uses of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
     currently in MIBs defined in IETF RFCs.

  o  Discuss and propose a common approach for using IPv4 and IPv6
     addresses in MIBs, such that each MIB can be used in IPv4 and
     IPv6 environments.

  o  Produce a list of MIBs that can not be used in an IPv6
     environment and propose how these MIBs can be fixed (if needed).

 The team consists of:

     Shawn Routier ([email-masked])
     Mike Daniele ([email-masked])
     Brian Haberman ([email-masked])

 A special mailing list has been created for generic/common MIB
 related discussions, [email-masked]. To subscribe, send email
 to [email-masked] with the word subscribe in the body.
 The mailing lists archives will be at ftp://ftp.psg.com/pub/lists/mibs*
 A publicly visible list of issues/concerns raised and resolved will
 be maintained. This list is at TBD.

 The initial schedule is as follows:

     May 15:  List of issues to resolve is completed
     May 30:  Initial draft of proposed solution(s) published
     June:    Review of proposal and discuss on mailing list
     July:    BOF in OSLO if needed; otherwise present results
     July 30: (or earlier if possible) Final document

 With the assistance of the IETF community, we should be able to
 finish this work in the proposed time frame.

Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush  (ADs Opetrations and Management area)
Thomas Nartern and Erik Nordmark (ADs Internet area)