Subject: Protocol Action: Non-Terminal DNS Name Redirection to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:01:37 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Non-Terminal DNS Name
Redirection' <draft-ietf-dnsind-dname-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the DNS IXFR, Notification, and Dynamic
Update Working Group.  The IESG contact person is Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document defines a new DNS Resource Record called DNAME, that
provides the capability to map an entire subtree of the DNS name space
to another domain.  It differs from the CNAME record which maps a
single node of the name space.

The DNAME RR and its processing rules were conceived as a solution to
the problem of maintaining address-to-name mappings in a context of
network renumbering.  Without the DNAME mechanism, an authoritative
DNS server for the address-to-name mappings of some network must be
reconfigured when that network is renumbered.  With DNAME, the zone
can be constructed so that it needs no modification when renumbered.
DNAME can also be useful in other situations, such as when an
organizational unit is renamed.

Working Group Summary

The WG supports the approach outlined in this document and no issues
were raised during the Last Call.

Protocol Quality

This protocol has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.