Subject: Protocol Action: UPS Management Information Base to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:08:48 -0400

The IESG has approved reclassifying 'UPS Management Information Base'
<RFC1628> as an Informational RFC.  This document is the product of the
Uninterruptible Power Supply Working Group.

The contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical/Working Group Summary

The document has been at Proposed Standard since 1994.
The UPSMIB WG mailing list was polled to see if there was any
interest to do the additional work for this MIB to advance on the
standards track. In order to do so, some fixes would
have to be made and some administrative text would have to be
added. Also an implementation report would have to be created that
demonstrates multiple interoperable implementations.
(See RFC 2026 and RFC 2438).

Various vendors have implemented this MIB, and the consensus
is that this MIB is "good enough".
Nobody is prepared to spend the extra effort required to advance
the MIB to the next level on the standards track.

As a result, the best course of action is te re-classify RFC 1628
from Proposed Standard to Informational.