Subject: RFC 2582 on NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 10:37:58 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

	RFC 2582: 

        Title: 	    The NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery
		    Algorithm
   	Author(s):  S. Floyd, T. Henderson
        Status:     Experimental
	Date:       April 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 29393
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None  
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpimpl-newreno-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2582.txt

RFC 2001 documents the following four intertwined TCP congestion
control algorithms: Slow Start, Congestion Avoidance, Fast Retransmit,
and Fast Recovery.  RFC 2581 explicitly allows certain modifications
of these algorithms, including modifications that use the TCP
Selective Acknowledgement (SACK) option, and modifications that
respond to "partial acknowledgments" (ACKs which cover new data, but
not all the data outstanding when loss was detected) in the absence of
SACK.  This document describes a specific algorithm for responding to
partial acknowledgments, referred to as NewReno.  This response to
partial acknowledgments was first proposed by Janey Hoe.

This document is the product of the TCP Implementation Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.