Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ion-r2r-nhrp-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:57:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internetworking Over NBMA Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: NHRP for Destinations off the NBMA Subnetwork
	Author(s)	: J. Halpern, Y. Rekhter
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ion-r2r-nhrp-02.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 27-Apr-99
	
The NBMA Next Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP) [1] specifies a
mechanism that allows a source station (e.g., a host or a router) on
an NBMA subnetwork to find the NBMA subnetwork address address of a
destination station when the destination station is connected to the
NBMA subnetwork. For the case where the destination station is off
the NBMA subnetwork the mechanism described in [1] allows to
determine the NBMA subnetwork address of an egress router from the
NBMA subnetwork that is 'nearest' to the destination station.  If
used to locate an egress router wherein the destination station is
directly behind the egress router, the currently document NHRP
behaviors are sufficient.  However, as documented elsewhere [2],
there are cases where if used between routers for generalized
transit, NHRP can produce loops.
 
This document describes extensions to the NBMA Next Hop Resolution
Protocol (NHRP) [1] that allow to acquire and maintain the
information about the egress router without constraining the
destination(s) to be directly connected to the egress router.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ion-r2r-nhrp-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ion-r2r-nhrp-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ion-r2r-nhrp-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.