Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tn3270e-ohio-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:45:47 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.  This draft is a work item of the Telnet TN3270
Enhancements Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Open Host Interface Objects
	Author(s)	: T. Brawn, S. Gunn
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tn3270e-ohio-01.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 14-Apr-99
	
This draft addresses the need for a common, advanced, client
programming interface to mainframe host data.  Application
developers, in particular third party application vendors, use
API's provided by client emulator programs to write applications
that access host data.  Currently, the defacto standard HLLAPI is
the interface most commonly provided by these programs and the one
used by the third party application vendors.    However, HLLAPI is
plagued by the fact that it doesn't exploit modern programming
techniques and is fragmented by multiple, proprietary
implementations.  Client vendors have, over the last couple of years,
developed more advanced interfaces that exploit modern programming
advances.  However no effort has been put into standardizing these
interfaces and application developers have been forced to either
chose to stay with HLLAPI or perform costly re-implementation of
their products to support each competing advanced client API.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tn3270e-ohio-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tn3270e-ohio-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tn3270e-ohio-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.