Subject: Protocol Action: ILMI-Based Server Discovery to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 08:28:05 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

o ILMI-Based Server Discovery for ATMARP
	<draft-ietf-ion-discov-atmarp-05.txt>

o ILMI-Based Server Discovery for MARS
	<draft-ietf-ion-discov-mars-05.txt> 

o ILMI-Based Server Discovery for NHRP
	<draft-ietf-ion-discov-nhrp-05.txt>

These documents are the product of the Internetworking Over NBMA
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary

These documents provide a way for clients with ATM interfaces to use
ILMI-based discovery to dynamically learn the ATM addresses of ATMARP,
MARS, or NHRP servers respectively.  The Integrated Local Management
Interface (ILMI)provides a mechanism for ATM-attached devices, such as
hosts, routers, and ATM switches, to transfer management
information. It is based on the Simple Network Management Protocol
(SNMP), Version 1, and supports get, get-next, set and trap
operations. To discover server addresses, ILMI get and get-next
operations are used to obtain rows in a MIB, from which the
appropriate ATM addresses can be extracted.

Working Group Summary

There was consent within the working group for this approach.

Protocol Quality

The specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten