Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:27:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
	Author(s)	: G. Zorn, G. Pall, K. Hamzeh, W. Verthein, J. Taarud, W. Little
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-10.txt
	Pages		: 57
	Date		: 29-Apr-99
	
This document specifies a protocol which allows the Point to        Point Protocol (PPP) to be tunneled through an IP network.  PPTP        does not specify any changes to the PPP protocol but rathe        describes a new vehicle for carrying PPP.  A client-server        architecture is defined in order to decouple functions which        exist in current Network Access Servers (NAS) and support Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).  The PPTP Network Server (PNS)
is envisioned to run on a general purpose operating system while
the client, referred to as a PPTP Access Concentrator (PAC)
operates on a dial access platform.  PPTP specifies a call-
control and management protocol which allows the server to
control access for dial-in circuit switched calls originating
from a PSTN or ISDN or to initiate outbound circuit-switched
connections.  PPTP uses an enhanced GRE (Generic Routing
Encapsulation) mechanism to provide a flow- and congestion-
controlled encapsulated datagram service for carrying PPP
packets.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-10.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-10.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-10.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.