Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-salsman-www-device-upload-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 07:07:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Form-based Device Input in HTML
	Author(s)	: J. Salsman
	Filename	: draft-salsman-www-device-upload-06.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 05-Apr-99
	
Currently, HTML forms allow the producer of the form to request
information -- including files of data -- from the operator reading
the form.  However, this capability is limited because HTML forms
don't provide a way to ask the operator to submit input from
arbitrary sources such as audio devices like microphones.  Since
input and upload from various devices is a feature that will
benefit many applications, this draft proposes an extension to the
HTML INPUT TYPE=FILE form element specified in RFC 1867 to allow
information providers to express requests for uploads from audio
and other devices uniformly.  A discussion of MIME audio data
types to facilitate useful audio upload responses follows.  Also
security discussions are included, as are audio usability and
quality discussions, and a description of a backward compatibility
strategy allowing new user agents to utilize HTML written with
earlier proposals for audio input in mind.  Motivations, including
language instruction assistance, voice transcription, and
high-quality transmission under low-bandwidth conditions, conclude.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-salsman-www-device-upload-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-salsman-www-device-upload-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-salsman-www-device-upload-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.