Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-wang-rsvp-state-compression-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:40:54 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Proposal for reducing RSVP Refresh Overhead using State Compression
	Author(s)	: L. Zhang, A. Terzis, L. Wang
	Filename	: draft-wang-rsvp-state-compression-00.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 27-Apr-99
	
As a soft-state protocol, RSVP specifies that each RSVP node sends
periodic RSVP messages for each existing RSVP session.  The overhead
due to such periodic refreshes goes up linearly with the number of
active RSVP sessions.  One can reduce the overhead by using a longer
refresh period, which unfortunately leads to longer delays in re-
synchronizing RSVP state.  To overcome the dilemma, this draft
describes the use of a 'state-compression' approach to soft-state
protocol refreshes.  In the absence of state changes this compression
mechanism has a constant overhead while retaining the soft-state
nature of RSVP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wang-rsvp-state-compression-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-wang-rsvp-state-compression-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wang-rsvp-state-compression-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.