Subject: STD58, RFC2578 on SMIv2

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:06:33 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        STD 58:
	RFC 2578: 

        Title: 	    Structure of Management Information Version 2
                    (SMIv2) 
   	Author(s):  K. McCloghrie, D. Perkins, J. Schoenwaelder
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       April 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      43
        Characters: 89712
        Obsoletes:  1902
        I-D Tag:    draft-ops-smiv2-smi-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2578.txt

Management information is viewed as a collection of managed objects,
residing in a virtual information store, termed the Management
Information Base (MIB).  Collections of related objects are defined in
MIB modules.  These modules are written using an adapted subset of
OSI's Abstract Syntax Notation One, ASN.1 (1988) [1].  It is the
purpose of this document, the Structure of Management Information
(SMI), to define that adapted subset, and to assign a set of
associated administrative values.

This is now a Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.