Subject: Protocol Action: DHCP Options for Service Location Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:56:26 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DHCP Options for Service
Location Protocol' <draft-ietf-dhc-slp-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.  The IESG contact person is Thomas Narten and Erik Nordmark.

Technical Summary
 
The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol provides a framework for
passing configuration information to hosts on a TCP/IP network.  The
Service Location Protocol (SLP) provides a default configuration for
Scopes and Directory Agents may be discovered using multicast or
broadcast.  In larger environments, however, it is useful to be able
to configure SLP Agents using DHCP, so as to centralize the
administration and to deploy SLP in networks where multicast routing
is not available. This document defines two new options. The "SLP
Directory Agent Option" communicates to clients which Directory
Agent(s) they should use. The "SLP Service Scope Option" communicates
to clients which scope(s) they should use when using SLP.

Working Group Summary

The format of the options were changed multiple times over a long
period of time in response to specific concerns. In the end, there was
consenus on this version of the document.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.