Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-manet-longlived-adhoc-routing-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 11:13:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.  This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Long-lived Ad Hoc Routing based on the Concept of Associativity
	Author(s)	: C. Toh
	Filename	: draft-ietf-manet-longlived-adhoc-routing-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 31-Mar-99
	
This  document  describes  the   associativity-based   long-lived
routing (ABR) protocol for ad hoc mobile networks. It is a simple
and bandwidth-efficient distributed routing protocols which  does
not attempt to consistently maintain routing information in every
node. In an ad hoc wireless network where mobile hosts are acting
as  routers  and  where  routes  are  made inconsistent by mobile
hosts' movement, we propose an Associativity-based routing scheme
where  a  route  is  selected based on nodes having associativity
states that imply periods of spatial,  temporal,  connection  and
signal  stability. In this manner, the routes selected are likely
to  be  long-lived  and  hence  there  is  no  need  to   restart
frequently,   resulting  in  higher  attainable  throughput.  Our
proposed protocol is based on source-initiated on-demand routing.
Route  requests  are  broadcast  on a per-need basis. To discover
shorten the route discovery time when the association property is
violated,  the  localized-  query  and quick-abort mechanisms are
respectively incorporated  into  the  protocol.  The  association
property  also  allows  the  integration of ad hoc routing into a
base station oriented wireless  LAN  environment,  providing  the
fault  tolerance  in  times  of base station failures. This draft
will describe the protocol functions and information about packet
headers and routing tables.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-longlived-adhoc-routing-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-manet-longlived-adhoc-routing-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-longlived-adhoc-routing-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.