Subject: STD58, RFC2579 on Textual Conventions for SMIv2

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:16:30 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        STD 58:
	RFC 2579: 

        Title: 	    Textual Conventions for SMIv2
   	Author(s):  K. McCloghrie, D. Perkins, J. Schoenwaelder
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       April 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 59039
        Obsoletes:  1903
        I-D Tag:    draft-ops-smiv2-tc-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2579.txt

Management information is viewed as a collection of managed objects,
residing in a virtual information store, termed the Management
Information Base (MIB).  Collections of related objects are defined in
MIB modules.  These modules are written using an adapted subset of
OSI's Abstract Syntax Notation One, ASN.1 (1988), termed the Structure
of Management Information (SMI).  When designing a MIB module, it is
often useful to define new types similar to those defined in the SMI.
In comparison to a type defined in the SMI, each of these new types
has a different name, a similar syntax, but a more precise semantics.
These newly defined types are termed textual conventions, and are used
for the convenience of humans reading the MIB module.  It is the
purpose of this document to define the initial set of textual
conventions available to all MIB modules.

This is now a Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be added to or
deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should be sent to
[email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.