Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rap-framework-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:29:38 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.  This draft is a work item of the RSVP Admission Policy
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A Framework for Policy-based Admission Control
	Author(s)	: R. Yavatkar, D. Pendarakis, R. Guerin
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rap-framework-02.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 14-Apr-99
	
The IETF working groups such as Integrated Services (called 'int-serv')
and RSVP [1] have developed extensions to the IP architecture and the
best-effort service model so that applications or end users can request
specific quality (or levels) of service from an internetwork in addition
to the current IP best-effort service. Recent efforts in the Differen-
tiated Services Working Group are also directed at definition of mechan-
isms that support aggregate QoS services. The int-serv model for these new services requires explicit signaling of the QoS (Quality of Service)
requirements from the end points and provision of admission and traffic
control at Integrated Services routers. The proposed standards for RSVP
[RFC 2205] and Integrated Services [RFC 2211, RFC 2212] are examples of 
a new reservation setup protocol and new service definitions respectively.
 
This document is concerned with specifying a framework for providing
policy-based control over admission control decisions. In particular, it
focuses on policy-based control over admission control using RSVP as an
example of the QoS signaling mechanism.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rap-framework-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rap-framework-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rap-framework-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.