Subject: New IRTF Chair in September

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 18:37:03 -0400

During March, the IAB called for nominations for the position
of Chair of the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF), since 
Abel Weinrib expressed his desire to step down. We received 
twenty excellent nominations by the closing date of April 15, 
and had considerable diffculty choosing among those nominees 
willing to serve. After careful discussion, the IAB is pleased 
to announce the appointment of 

            Erik Huizer 

as Chair of the IRTF for two years starting in September 1999.
A short biography is attached below.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Abel Weinrib for
his years of service, to thank the unsuccessful candidates
for their willingness to serve, and to wish Erik every success.

   Brian Carpenter
   IAB Chair

==========

Erik Huizer is the Managing Director of the SURFnet ExpertiseCentrum 
bv, a company based in the Netherlands that does network development, 
design, planning, support, training and consultancy for an 
international customer base.

From 1988 till 1994 he worked as a Technical Manager at SURFnet bv, 
the company that operates the Academic and Research network in The 
Netherlands. 
 
Huizer has extensive experience with Internet technology. He has
been a member of the RARE (now Terena) Technical Committee from 
1991-1994. He was an Area Director for the Applications area of the 
Internet Engineering Task Force from 1990-1995. He was a member of 
the Internet Architecture Board from 1995-1999. Huizer is currently 
involved with the GigaPort project (http://www.gigaport.nl/), the
Dutch national project for the Next Generation Internet.
 
Huizer received his Ph. D. degree in Science and Technology from
Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, in 1987.