Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-des40-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 09:31:07 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Creating 40-Bit Keys for DES
	Author(s)	: R. Housley, P. Hoffman
	Filename	: draft-hoffman-des40-03.txt
	Pages		: 2
	Date		: 03-May-99
	
This document describes an method for shortening DES keys from 56 bits
to 40 bits. The shortened keys are generally known as 'DES-40'. The
motivation for this weakening is that some localities (such as the
United States) give special preference to applications that use 40-bit
keys. The weakened keys are then used with the DES encryption
algorithm in the same manner as full-strength keys.
 
There are many possible methods for reducing a 56-bit key to a 40-bit
key. The method in this draft was chosen because one method is needed
for interoperability. Further, this method has been known to
occasionally have been approved for export from the United States.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-des40-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hoffman-des40-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-des40-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.