Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn5250e-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 08:54:21 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Telnet TN3270 Enhancements Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: 5250 Telnet Enhancements
	Author(s)	: T. Murphy, P. Rieth, J. Stevens
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn5250e-04.txt
	Pages		: 42
	Date		: 25-May-99
	
This draft describes the interface to the IBM 5250 Telnet server that
allows client Telnet to request a Telnet terminal or printer session
using a specific device name.  If a requested device name is not
available, a method to retry the request using a new device name is
described.  Methods to request specific Telnet session settings and
auto-signon function are also described.
 
By allowing a Telnet client to select the device name, the 5250
Telnet server opens the door for applications to set and/or extract
useful information about the Telnet client.  Some possibilities are
1) selecting a customized device name associated with a particular
user profile name for National Language Support or subsystem routing,
2) connecting PC and network printers as clients and 3) auto-signon
using clear-text or DES-encrypted password exchange.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn5250e-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn5250e-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn5250e-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.