Subject: RFC 2588 on IP Multicast and Firewalls

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 10:16:35 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

	RFC 2588: 

        Title: 	    IP Multicast and Firewalls
   	Author(s):  R. Finlayson
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       May 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 28622
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None 
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-firewall-02.txt

	pathname on ftp.isi.edu: in-notes/rfc2588.txt

Many organizations use a firewall computer that acts as a security
gateway between the public Internet and their private, internal
'intranet'.  In this document, we discuss the issues surrounding the
traversal of IP multicast traffic across a firewall, and describe
possible ways in which a firewall can implement and control this
traversal.  We also explain why some firewall mechanisms - such as
SOCKS - that were designed specifically for unicast traffic, are less
appropriate for multicast.  This document is the product of the MBONE
Deployment Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.