Subject: RFC 2583 on Guidelines for NHC Developers

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:15:30 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2583: 

        Title:	    Guidelines for Next Hop Client (NHC) Developers   
	Author(s):  R. Carlson, L. Winkler
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       May 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 21338
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None 
        I-D Tag:    draft-carlson-nhrp-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2583.txt

This document provides guidelines for developers of the Next Hop
Resolution Protocol Clients (NHC).  It assumes that the clients are
directly connected to an ATM based NBMA network.  The same principles
will apply to clients connected to other types of NBMA networks.  The
intent is to define the interaction between the NHC code and the
TCP/IP protocol stack of the local host operating system.  The NHC is
capable of sending NHRP requests to a Next Hop Resolution Protocol
Server (NHS) to resolve both inter and intra LIS addresses.  The NHS
reply may be positive (ACK) indicating a short-cut path is available
or negative (NAK) indicating that a shortcut is not available and the
routed path must be used.  The NHC must cache (maintain state) for
both the ACK and NAK replies in order to use the correct shortcut or
routed path.  The NAK reply must be cached to avoid making repeated
requests to the NHS when the routed path is being used.

This document is a product of the Internetworking Over NBMA Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.