Subject: Protocol Action: NFS Version 2 and Version 3 Security Issues and the NFS Protocol's Use of RPCSEC_GSS and Kerberos V5 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 14:45:21 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'NFS Version 2 and Version 3
Security Issues and the NFS Protocol's Use of RPCSEC_GSS and Kerberos
V5' <draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfssec-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
 This document discusses a number of security issues relating to NFSv2 and
 NFSv3, giving requirements and recommendations for addressing them.  Along
 with general NFS security issues, the document also discusses in detail
 use of RPCSEC_GSS to support different levels of security at the RPC
 layer.  It introduces a notion of "pseudo flavor" to denote a specific
 level of RPCSEC_GSS security, and defines three pseudo flavors associated
 with the use of Kerberos V5 security.  It also defines the IANA
 considerations for managing the five name spaces discussed in the
 document.

Working Group Summary

 The document was revised to reflect several issues raised during WG review.
 The changes were modest and the document appears to have clear WG consensus.

Protocol Quality

 The document was reviewed by Vern Paxson for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

In the paragraph:

>   *    A reference to an RFC describing how the NFS protocol MUST work
>        over the pseudo flavor(s), including the pseudo flavor
>        number(s), string name(s) for the flavor(s), and any other
>        issues, including how the registrant is interpreting the GSS-API
>        mechanism.

please change "MUST work" to "works".