Subject: Protocol Action: PPP over SONET/SDH to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 07:24:58 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'PPP over SONET/SDH'
<draft-ietf-pppext-pppoversonet-update-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes the use of PPP over Synchronous Optical
Network (SONET) and Synchronous Digital Heirarchy (SDH) circuits.  It
is a revision of RFC 1619, which it updates and replaces. Changes
include the addition of payload scrambling, narrowing the
applicability to certain SONET/SDH SPE/VCs, and requiring the use of
32-bit rather than 16-bit CRCs for some SPE/VCs.

Working Group Summary

This document was iterated on quickly over a relatively short time
period, but all issues were resolved and there was consensus for the
final result.

Protocol Quality

This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.