Subject: Protocol Action: Cable Device and RF Management Information Base for DOCSIS compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:47:12 -0400

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

o Cable Device Management Information Base for DOCSIS compliant Cable
  Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems
	<draft-ietf-ipcdn-cable-device-mib-08.txt>

o Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management Information Base for
  MCNS/DOCSIS compliant RF interfaces
	<draft-ietf-ipcdn-rf-interface-mib-07.txt>

These documents are the product of the IP over Cable Data Network
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary
 
These documents define a portion of the Management Information Base
(MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet
community.

The document "Cable Device Management Information Base for DOCSIS
compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems" provides a
set of objects required for the management of DOCSIS compliant Cable
Modems (CM) and Cable Modem Termination Systems (CMTS).  The
specification is derived from the DOCSIS Radio Frequency Interface
specification.  Note that the DOCSIS 1.0 standard only requires Cable
Modems to implement SNMPv1 and to process IPv4 customer
traffic. Design choices in this MIB reflect those requirements.
Future versions of the DOCSIS standard are expected to require support
for SNMPv3 and IPv6 as well.

The document "Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management Information
Base for MCNS/DOCSIS compliant RF interfaces" defines a set of objects
for SNMP-based management of MCNS/DOCSIS compliant Radio Frequency
(RF) interfaces. These interfaces form the "cable" side of the cable
modem.

Working Group Summary

These documents have been worked on for quite some time. There was WG
consensus for these document and no issues were raised during the Last
Call.

Protocol Quality

Earlier versions of these MIBs have been deployed in cable modems
throughout North America. The current versions of these MIBs include
enhancements made in response to operational experience with the
earlier MIBs. These MIBs are being implemented by a number of cable
modem and CMTS vendors.

These documents has been reviewed for the IESG by Andy Bierman, Bert
Wijnen and Thomas Narten.

Note to RFC Editor and IANA:

Please root this MIB at { transmission 127} rather than under MIB-2.