Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-huitema-megaco-discuss-sdp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 09:07:10 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Providing H.245 like capability exchanges with Megaco, using SDP
	Author(s)	: C. Huitema
	Filename	: draft-huitema-megaco-discuss-sdp-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 21-May-99
	
This memo is a contribution to the ongoing debate in the Megaco working
group on the use of SDP or H.245 to describe Termination Descriptors.
One of the stingy point in the debate has been the need, for some gate-
ways, to provide H.323 compatible 'capability exchanges.' It has some-
times been asserted that such exchanges would be hard to provide with an
SDP syntax. This memo, on the contrary, provides a simple solution to
the problem, based on the following ideas:
*    usage of SDP to describe termination parameters,
*    usage of the audit procedure to enquire about capabilities,
*    a syntax in the audit procedure allowing to return several       termination descriptors, corresponding to alternative capability
     sets,
*    an algorithm for translating a set of SDP encoded capability sets
     into an H.245 capability descriptor.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huitema-megaco-discuss-sdp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-huitema-megaco-discuss-sdp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-huitema-megaco-discuss-sdp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.