Subject: WG Review: Domain Name Server Operations (dnsop)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 07:05:39 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Management and
Operations Area. The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Description of Working Group:
 
The DNS Operations Working Group will develop guidelines for the
operation DNS name servers and the administration of DNS zone files.
These guidelines will provide technical information relating to the
implementation of the DNS protocol by the operators and administrators
of DNS domains.  The group will perform the following activities:

 1. Define the processes by which Domain Name System (DNS) servers may
    be efficiently and correctly administered, configured, and
    operated on Internet networks.  This will include root zone name
    servers, gTLD name servers, and the name servers of other DNS
    domains.  As part of this effort, the group will produce documents
    explaining to the general Internet community what processes and
    mechanisms should be employed for the effective management and
    operation of DNS servers.

 2. Publish (or assume sponsorship for) documents concerning DNSSEC
    procedures.

 3. Publish (or assume sponsorship for) documents concerning the
    education of new/novice DNS "users" (FYI-RFCs).

 4. Identify performance measurement tools and evaluate their
    effectiveness.

The group sees four main areas with related documents:

  Root Name Server Operational Requirements
  draft-bush-dnsop-root-opreq-00.txt
  Editor: Randy Bush

  Multiple servers sharing the same IP address

  Editor: Masataka Ohta

  Zone KEY RRSet Signing Procedure
  draft-ietf-dnssec-key-handling-00.txt
  Editor: Edward Lewis

  Performance and measuring
  Editors: Randy Bush & Michael Patton (?)