Subject: RFC 2563 on DHCP Auto-Configuration Option

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:11:03 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2563: 

        Title:	    DHCP Option to Disable Stateless
		    Auto-Configuration in IPv4 Clients
	Author(s):  R. Troll
        Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       May 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 17838
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None 
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2563.txt

Operating Systems are now attempting to support ad-hoc networks of two
or more systems, while keeping user configuration at a minimum.  To
accommodate this, in the absence of a central configuration mechanism
(DHCP), some OS's are automatically choosing a link-local IP address
which will allow them to communicate only with other hosts on the same
link.  This address will not allow the OS to communicate with anything
beyond a router.  However, some sites depend on the fact that a host
with no DHCP response will have no IP address.  This document
describes a mechanism by which DHCP servers are able to tell clients
that they do not have an IP address to offer, and that the client
should not generate an IP address it's own.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group of the IETF. 

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.