Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-beck-rescap-req-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:34:58 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: ResCap Requirements
	Author(s)	: J. Beck
	Filename	: draft-beck-rescap-req-01.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 17-May-99
	
A variety of resource identifiers have been widely deployed on the
Internet as a means of identifying various resources, services, and
destinations.  However, a means of attaching a set of attributes or
characteristics to a given resource identifier and subsequently
assessing those attributes or characteristics has not been specified
and deployed.

A particularly important resolution service of this general type is
one which, when given a mail address identifying a particular mail
recipient, will return a series of attributes describing the
capabilities of that recipient.  This differs from a directory
service in that no searching or other advanced query operations are
involved.

Two tasks are envisioned.  The first task will be to define a general
resolution protocol that will translate resource identifiers to a
list of attributes.  The second task will be to define an
administrative model and update protocol that can be used to set
up and maintain the information the resolution protocol accesses.

This document defines the requirements for these two protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-beck-rescap-req-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-beck-rescap-req-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-beck-rescap-req-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.