Subject: RFC 2617 on HTTP Authentication

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:03:56 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2617:

        Title:	    HTTP Authentication: Basic and Digest Access 
		    Authentication
	Author(s):  J. Franks, P. Hallam-Baker, J. Hostetler,
		    S. Lawrence, P. Leach, A. Luotonen, L. Stewart
        Status:     Draft Standard
	Date:       June 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
		    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
		    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 77638
	Obsoletes:  2069
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-http-authentication-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2617.txt

"HTTP/1.0", includes the specification for a Basic Access
Authentication scheme. This scheme is not considered to be a secure
method of user authentication (unless used in conjunction with some
external secure system such as SSL, as the user name and password are
passed over the network as cleartext.

This document is a product of the HyperText Transfer Protocol Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Draft Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.