Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-thaler-multipath-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:11:32 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Multipath Issues in Unicast and Multicast
	Author(s)	: D. Thaler, C. Hopps
	Filename	: draft-thaler-multipath-04.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 23-Jun-99
	
Various routing protocols, including OSPF [1] and ISIS, explicitly allow
'Equal-Cost Multipath' routing.  Some router implementations also allow
equal-cost multipath usage with RIP and other routing protocols.  Using
equal-cost multipath means that if multiple equal-cost routes to the
same destination exist, they can be discovered and used to provide load
balancing among redundant paths.
 
The effect of multipath routing on a forwarder is that the forwarder
potentially has several next-hops for any given destination and must use
some method to choose which next-hop should be used for a given data
packet. This memo summarizes current practices, problems, and solutions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thaler-multipath-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-thaler-multipath-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-thaler-multipath-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.