Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-small-subgroup-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:02:19 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Methods for Avoiding the 'Small-Subgroup' Attacks on 
                          the Diffie-Hellman Key Agreement Method for S/MIME
	Author(s)	: R. Zuccherato
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-small-subgroup-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 28-Jun-99
	
In some circumstances the use of the Diffie-Hellman key agreement scheme
in a prime order subgroup of a large prime p is vulnerable to certain
attacks known as 'small-subgroup' attacks.  Methods exist, however, to
prevent these attacks.  This document will describe the situations
relevent to the S/MIME standard in which protection is required and the
methods that can be used to to prevent these attacks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-small-subgroup-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-small-subgroup-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-small-subgroup-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.