Subject: Protocol Action: RTP Payload Format for PureVoice(tm) Audio to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:14:59 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'RTP Payload Format for
PureVoice(tm) Audio' <draft-mckay-qcelp-03.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  TThis has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product
of an IETF Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Vern Paxson and
Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
 This document specifies a payload format for carrying compressed Qualcomm
 PureVoice audio as an RTP payload type.  The format includes the ability
 to interleave the compressor output to reduce quality degradation in the
 face of packet loss, with the sender able to choose different interleave
 settings based on the importance of low end-to-end delay versus greater
 tolerance for lost packets.

Working Group Summary

 While this document is not the product of a working group, it was reviewed
 by AVT, which lead to extensive discussion of a single issue, namely whether
 the format should include its own encryption elements, as originally proposed,
 or if it should simply use the usual RTP encryption elements.  The consensus
 of the WG was for the latter, and there is now consensus for the document
 as a whole.

Protocol Quality

 Vern Paxson review the specification for the IESG.