Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 09:03:47 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Simple Public Key Infrastructure Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SPKI Certificate Theory
	Author(s)	: C. Ellison, W.Frantz, B. Lampson, R.Rivest, 
                          B. Thomas, T.Ylonen
	Filename	: draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-05.txt
	Pages		: 49
	Date		: 01-Jun-99
	
The SPKI Working Group has developed a standard form for digital
certificates whose main purpose is authorization rather than
authentication.  These structures bind either names or explicit
authorizations to keys or other objects.  The binding to a key can be
directly to an explicit key, or indirectly through the hash of the
key or a name for it.  The name and authorization structures can be
used separately or together.  We use S-expressions as the standard
format for these certificates and define a canonical form for those
S-expressions.  As part of this development, a mechanism for deriving
authorization decisions from a mixture of certificate types was
developed and is presented in this document.

This document gives the theory behind SPKI certificates and ACLs
without going into technical detail about those structures or their
uses.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.