Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-biswas-pim-sm-qos-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 08:11:28 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A QoS-Aware Routing Framework for PIM-SM Based 
                          IP-Multicast
	Author(s)	: S. Biswas, R. Izmailov, B. Rajagopalan 
	Filename	: draft-biswas-pim-sm-qos-00.txt
	Pages		: 32
	Date		: 25-Jun-99
	
This document describes a framework for QoS-aware multicast routing
based on enhancements to PIM-SM. This framework has two components:
the development of multicast tree computation schemes that account
for heterogeneous receiver QoS requirements, and the incorporation
of QoS capabilities into PIM-SM for establishing computed paths.
The choice of PIM-SM is based on its ability to support
receiver-initiated join, both shared and source-specific trees. Two
decentralized tree computation schemes, TIQM and NUQM, are
considered in this document, both requiring support from the
underlying unicast routing scheme to acquire link and nodal resource
availability information. Additionally, TIQM requires complete
information at each router about the resource allocation in the
network for the existing multicast tree. After a brief analysis of
these two schemes, the incorporation of QoS awareness in PIM-SM with
NUQM as its underlying route computation mechanism is presented. It
is shown that with few extensions to its existing control syntaxes,
PIM-SM can be successfully used for QoS integration. Finally, a Tree
State Update (TSU) mechanism, which can be used for efficient and
scalable dissemination of multicast tree state information, is
proposed. It is shown that by using the proposed TSU protocol it is
possible to partially alleviate the control overhead of TIQM.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-biswas-pim-sm-qos-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-biswas-pim-sm-qos-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-biswas-pim-sm-qos-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.