Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-blazevic-dcm-mobility-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 08:15:19 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Distributed Core Multicast (DCM): a routing protocol 
                          for many  small groups  with application to  mobile IP
                          telephony
	Author(s)	: L. Blazevic, J. Le Boudec 
	Filename	: draft-blazevic-dcm-mobility-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 21-Jun-99
	
This document specifies a multicast routing protocol called
Distributed Core Multicast (DCM). It is intended for use within a
large single Internet domain network with a very large number of
multicast groups with a small number of receivers. Such a case
occurs, for example, when multicast addresses are allocated to mobile
hosts, as a mechanism to manage Internet host mobility. For such
networks, existing dense or sparse mode multicast routing algorithms
do not scale well with the number of multicast groups. DCM is based
on an extension of the centre-based tree approach [1], [2]. It uses
several core routers, called Distributed Core Routers (DCRs) and a
special protocol between them. DCM aims: (1) to avoid multicast group
state information in backbone routers, (2) to avoid triangular
routing across expensive backbone links, (3) to scale well with the
number of multicast groups. We analyse how DCM can be used to route
packets to mobile hosts in cellular IP telephony, where each mobile
host is assigned a multicast address in every domain it visits. The
benefits of multicasting-based approach to route packets to mobile
hosts are low latency and no disruption during handover.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-blazevic-dcm-mobility-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-blazevic-dcm-mobility-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-blazevic-dcm-mobility-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.