Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:10:49 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SIP Session Timer
	Author(s)	: S. Donovan
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-02.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 22-Jun-99
	
This document proposes an extension to the SIP specification.  This
extension adds a new message header that is used to specify the
duration of a requested session.
 
The session timer can be used to control the duration of a session
if, for instance, one of the participants in the session wants to
limit the cost of the session.  It can also be used by stateful SIP
Proxy Servers to track the status of sessions for which session state
exists on the servers. Currently a stateful SIP Proxy Server that is
not handling the media stream(s) for the session has no mechanism to
definitively determine the state of all sessions for which it has state.
While the SIP Specification does provide the BYE method for terminating
the session, there is no mechanism for a SIP Proxy Server to detect the
end of a session when the BYE message is not sent or is lost due to
network problems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.