Subject: RFC 2623 on NFS Security, RPCSEC_GSS, and Kerberos V5

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:17:28 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

	RFC 2623:

        Title:	    NFS Version 2 and Version 3 Security Issues and
		    the NFS Protocol's Use of RPCSEC_GSS and 
		    Kerberos V5
	Author(s):  M. Eisler
        Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       June 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 42521
	Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None 
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfssec-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfcrfc2623.txt

This memorandum clarifies various security issues involving the NFS
protocol (Version 2 and Version 3 only) and then describes how the
Version 2 and Version 3 of the NFS protocol use the RPCSEC_GSS
security flavor protocol and Kerberos V5.  This memorandum is
provided so that people can write compatible implementations.

This document is a product of the Network File System Version 4
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.