Subject: 45th IETF: Wireless LAN

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:52:31 -0400

Wireless LAN for Oslo IETF

Technology

Wireless LAN is provided as
 * 802.11 FHSS
 * Wavelan 2.4 GHz
 
IEEE 802.11

 802.11 will be the main wireless LAN service. BreezeCom and Symbol,
 through their Norwegian partners, have kindly loaned us a few PC 
 cards which will be available to IETFers on a "first come, first 
 served" basis from the help desk in the terminal room.
 
 Base stations will cover the coffee break areas, terminal room, bar
 and most meeting rooms.
 
 Please note that the 802.11 DSSS cards are not compatible with the
 802.11 FHSS system we are using.
 
Wavelan 2.4 GHz

 Compaq will be providing a few 2.422 GHz RoamAbout access points
 throughout the IETF meeting area.
 
 You need to bring your own PC cards to connect to this service.
 
 Anyone trying to set up a base station in the 900 MHz range will 
 get into trouble (it is illegal, stupid, will not give you 
 connectivity, and if we find you ...) The 900MHz band is used for 
 GSM mobile phones, of which there are some 200000 in Oslo (do you 
 want that many people mad at you?)