Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-goenka-ldapext-java-complex-search-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 07:18:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Complex Directory Lookup using Java Based LDAP Query 
                          Extension
	Author(s)	: V. Goenka
	Filename	: draft-goenka-ldapext-java-complex-search-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 02-Jun-99
	
LDAP provides some simple primitives to construct search
filters. Complex LDAP search queries such as those involving
joins or functional evaluation of simple query results require
client side processing of the intermediate search results. The
network overhead of retrieving intermediate results can be
substantial for large databases. This document defines an LDAP
extension for supporting server side evaluation of complex
search queries.
 
     Custom search logic can be sent across to the server,
     encapsulated as a Java Object. The LDAP server supporting this
     extension would instantiate the java object and invoke its well
     known interfaces in a JVM. The java object running at the server
     end acts as the client-proxy, and makes a local search query to
     the LDAP server. The directory entries are evaluated using the
     custom logic embedded in the client-proxy, and those that
     satisfy the evaluation function are returned as the search
     result to the LDAP server, which passes it back to the
     originating client. Even non-Java LDAP clients can use this
     method, provided the search query is written as a java object.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-goenka-ldapext-java-complex-search-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-goenka-ldapext-java-complex-search-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-goenka-ldapext-java-complex-search-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.