Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ooms-cl-multicast-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:26:28 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Connectionless Multicast
	Author(s)	: W. Livens, D. Ooms
	Filename	: draft-ooms-cl-multicast-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 24-Jun-99
	
This draft proposes a new mechanism for multipoint-to-multipoint
(mp2mp) communication in IP networks, namely Connectionless Multicast
(CLM).  Instead of a group address, a list of member addresses is
encoded in the data packets.
The current Host Group Model [DEER] for IP multicast requires a
globally unique address for each session.  To support this model,
multicast routing protocols create state per group in the routers.
Like any connection oriented protocol, it suffers from scalability
problems in backbone networks where the number of groups to be
maintained can be huge.  CLM does not have this problem, and
additionally has some other advantages.  Its limitation lies in the
number of members per multicast session.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ooms-cl-multicast-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ooms-cl-multicast-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ooms-cl-multicast-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.