Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-irtf-smug-hybrid-src-auth-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 07:52:06 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Hybrid Signature Scheme for Multicast Source 
                          Authentication
	Author(s)	: P. Rohatgi
	Filename	: draft-irtf-smug-hybrid-src-auth-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 29-Jun-99
	
This draft describes a compact and fast hybrid signature scheme that 
can be used to solve the problem of packet source authentication for 
multicast. The scheme can be viewed as an improvement to 
off-line/on-line signature schemes, in that the signature size 
overhead is much smaller although still significant. This scheme
offers several advantages over other schemes for multicast source
authentication. Firstly, the scheme provides the same security 
guarantees as regular public key signatures, but the signature 
computation is an order of magnitude faster. Secondly, this 
scheme permits each individual packet to be signed independently
and efficiently, thus avoiding sender side latency found in schemes 
which need to spread a signature computation over several outgoing 
packets in order to achieve efficiency. This makes the scheme suitable
in highly interactive settings where latency is an issue. This feature
also make the scheme useful in settings where several different  
signatures need to be computed for by a single server machine for 
several different, low rate flows. Thirdly, this is an off-line/on-line
scheme where most of the computational load is in the off-line stage, 
thus the scheme is ideally suited to situations where the signer 
machine has very irregular load. Finally, the scheme produces fixed 
sized authentication information (or signatures) so that applications 
know a-priori the authentication overhead.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-smug-hybrid-src-auth-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-irtf-smug-hybrid-src-auth-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-irtf-smug-hybrid-src-auth-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.