Subject: Appeal against IESG decision

From: Brian E Carpenter (IAB Chair) <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:27:15 -0400

This is to inform the IETF that the IAB is considering an
appeal against IESG action lodged by William Allen Simpson. The text
of the appeal may be found at http://www.ietf.org/appeal.txt
Succinct written comments on the appeal should be sent to [email-masked]
by the end of June 1999. Please note that all such comments may be made
public. The IAB plans to hold an open hearing on the appeal during the
Oslo IETF meeting. More details of this hearing will be announced
shortly.

N.B. The appeal text includes the full explanation, but the essence
of the appeal is in these words written by Bill Simpson
and extracted from the full text:

> >Pursuant to the process detailed in RFC-2026 sections 6.5.1 and 6.5.2,
> >and ultimately 6.5.3, I appeal the IESG decision to publish
> >draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-cbc-03.txt and all documents referencing it,
> >together with the failure to publish draft-simpson-cbc-01.txt,
> >draft-simpson-desx-02.txt and draft-simpson-des3v2-03.txt (or earlier
> >versions thereof).

Brian E Carpenter (IAB Chair)

---

From: Brian E Carpenter (IAB Chair) <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:28:13 -0400

Further to the attached, please note that the hearing will be
held on Thursday evening, July 15, at 19:30 (Oslo time). The
room will be announced in the regular IETF agenda.

As in previous appeal hearings, the appellant will be given a
5 minute speaking slot to introduce his appeal. Any other persons
who wish to speak should request a 5 minute slot in advance
by email to [email-masked]. 

Three IAB voting members have recused themselves from decision
taking on the appeal: Fred Baker (as IESG Chair), Harald Alvestrand
(as an IESG member at the time of the events concerned by the appeal),
and Ran Atkinson (as a former WG co-chair). They will however observe
our discussions and be called upon for factual clarifications.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter (IAB Chair) <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:28:13 -0400