Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-toutain-ngtrans-dstm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 07:55:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Dual Stack Transition Mechanism (DSTM)
	Author(s)	: L. Toutain, J. Bound, 
	Filename	: draft-toutain-ngtrans-dstm-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 02-Jun-99
	
The initial deployment of IPv6 will require a tightly coupled use of
IPv4 addresses to support the interoperation of IPv6 and IPv4. Nodes
will be able to be deployed with IPv6 addresses, but will still need
to communicate with IPv4 nodes that do not have a dual IP layer
supporting both IPv4 and IPv6. This specification defines a
mechanism called 'Assignment of IPv4 Global Addresses to IPv6 hosts'
(AIIH), which will assign an IPv6 host a temporary IPv4 Global
Address, which can be used to communicate with a host that supports
IPv4 or IPv4/IPv6. This document includes also the definition of a 
Dynamic Tunneling Interface (DTI) to ease the automatic IPv4 address
assignment and to remove the IPv4 routing table from routers. 
Another objective is to demonstrate that IPv6 Addresses can
be deployed now instead of non-Global IPv4 Addresses within an
Intranet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-toutain-ngtrans-dstm-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-toutain-ngtrans-dstm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-toutain-ngtrans-dstm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.