Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-irtf-smug-key-tree-balance-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:20:55 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Maintaining Balanced Key Trees for Secure Multicast
	Author(s)	: M. Moyer, J. Rao, P. Rohatgi
	Filename	: draft-irtf-smug-key-tree-balance-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 29-Jun-99
	
Several  multicast key management schemes such as those proposed by 
Wallner et al, Wong et al and  Balenson et al are based on a 
multilevel, logical hierarchy (or tree) of key-encrypting keys. When 
used in conjunction with a reliable multicast infrastructure, this 
approach results in a highly efficient key update mechanism in which 
the number of multicast messages transmitted upon a membership update
is proportional to the depth of the tree, which is logarithmic in the 
size of the secure multicast group, provided the tree is maintained in
a balanced manner. Therefore the issue of maintaining such trees in a 
balanced manner is quite relevant in practice. This draft which 
is based on the design principles followed in an implementation of 
secure multicast using the Wallner key-management scheme, describes 
efficient techniques to maintain a balanced key tree in the presence
of arbitrary group membership updates. This draft also describes 
other optimizations which were found to be useful in practice.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-smug-key-tree-balance-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-irtf-smug-key-tree-balance-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-irtf-smug-key-tree-balance-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.