Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 07:20:04 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Next Generation Transition Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds without 
                          Explicit Tunnels
	Author(s)	: B. Carpenter, K. Moore
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-02.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 18-Jun-99
	
This memo specifies an optional mechanism for assigning a unique
IPv6 address prefix to any site that currently has at least one
globally unique IPv4 address, and describes scenarios for using such
a prefix during the co-existence phase of IPv4 to IPv6 transition.

The motivation for this method is to allow isolated IPv6 domains,
attached to an IPv4 network which has no native IPv6 support, to
communicate with other such IPv6 domains with minimal manual
configuration. Effectively it treats the IPv4 network as a virtual
link layer. It also automatically provides 80 bits of globally unique
IPv6 address space to any site with at least one globally unique IPv4
address. If combined with a Network Address Translator (NAT), it
allows the NAT to provide a globally-unique and globally-routable
IPv6 address to each of its client hosts.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.