Subject: RFC 2624 on NFSv4 Design Considerations

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:21:04 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2624:

        Title:	    NFS Version 4 Design Considerations
	Author(s):  S. Shepler
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       June 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 52891
	Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None 
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nfsv4-designconsider-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2624.txt

The main task of the NFS version 4 working group is to create a
protocol definition for a distributed file system that focuses on the
following items: improved access and good performance on the Internet,
strong security with negotiation built into the protocol, better
cross-platform interoperability, and designed for protocol extensions.
NFS version 4 will owe its general design to the previous versions of
NFS.  It is expected, however, that many features will be quite
different in NFS version 4 than previous versions to facilitate the
goals of the working group and to address areas that NFS version 2 and
3 have not.

This document is a product of the Network File System Version 4
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.