Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-minshall-nagle-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:14:11 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Suggested Modification to Nagle's Algorithm
	Author(s)	: G. Minshall
	Filename	: draft-minshall-nagle-01.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 18-Jun-99
	
The Nagle algorithm is one of the primary mechanisms which protects
the internet from poorly designed and/or implemented applications.
However, for a certain class of applications (notably,
request-response protocols) the Nagle algorithm interacts poorly
with delayed acknowledgements to give these applications poorer
performance.

This draft is NOT suggesting that these applications should disable
the Nagle algorithm.

   This draft suggests a fairly small and simple modification to the
   Nagle algorithm to preserve Nagle as a means of protecting the
   internet while at the same time giving better performance to a
   wider class of applications.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-minshall-nagle-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-minshall-nagle-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-minshall-nagle-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.