Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-hbh-ext-csi-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:14:07 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPNG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Connection/Link Status Investigation (CSI) for IPv6 
                          IPv6 Hop-by-Hop option and ICMPv6 messages Extension
	Author(s)	: H. Kitamura
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-hbh-ext-csi-00.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 21-Jun-99
	
This document proposes a new mechanism whereby status information is
collected for nodes along both the outgoing and incoming paths. This  mechanism is called 'Connection/Link Status Investigation (CSI).'
In order to realize the CSI mechanism, one new IPv6 Hop-by-Hop option
and three new ICMPv6 messages are proposed as extensions.

The CSI mechanism is as simple as the 'ping' mechanism and is also
efficient, because ideally the status information of the nodes is
collected with a pair of 'request/reply' ICMPv6 messages. By using
the CSI mechanism, more efficient and reliable 'traceroute' type
functions can be realized.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-hbh-ext-csi-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipngwg-hbh-ext-csi-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-hbh-ext-csi-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.