Subject: Protocol Action: On-Demand Mail Relay (ODMR) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 07:02:34 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'On-Demand Mail Relay (ODMR)'
<draft-gellens-on-demand-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
Group.  The IESG contact person(s) are Keith Moore and Patrik
Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
This specifies a method for fetching SMTP messages via a mechanism
similar to the ETRN method, but one which works when the client which
requests the mail uses a dynamic IP address. The basic functionality
is that the server listens for incoming connections on a port
different than SMTP. Greetings are exchanged between the server and
client, after which the client authenticates using the SMTP-AUTH
extensions. After that is done, the client can via the ATRN command
request that the roles changes, and the server starts working over
the same TCP connection as an SMTP client for the domains which the
authenticated client has access to.

This is not an extension to the SMTP service running on port 25,
while the SMTP protocol syntax is reused for this ODMR
(On-Demand-Mail-Relay) protocol on port 366 which is reserved for
this service.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus on the mailing list about this solution to the
problem. Version -06 of the protocol was last-called, and changes to
-07 reflects issues brought up during the last call.

Protocol Quality

The spec was reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom