Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-vlv-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:03:59 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP Extension Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: LDAP Extensions for Scrolling View Browsing of Search 
                          Results
	Author(s)	: D. Boreham,  J. Sermersheim, A. Anantha, M. Armijo
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-vlv-03.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 14-Jun-99
	
This document describes a Virtual List View control  extension  for
the LDAP  Search  operation.  This control is designed to allow the
'virtual list box' feature, common in existing  commercial  e-mail
address  book applications, to be supported efficiently by LDAP
servers. LDAP servers' inability to support this client feature is a
significant impediment  to LDAP replacing proprietary protocols in
commercial e-mail systems.  The control allows a client to specify that
the  server  return,  for  a given  LDAP search with associated sort
keys, a contiguous subset of the search result set. This subset is
specified in terms of offsets into the ordered list, or in terms of a
greater than or equal comparison value.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-vlv-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-vlv-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-vlv-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.