Subject: Regarding the PSO

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:57:46 -0400

The Poisson Working Group, in discussion Wednesday morning, advised me to
sign the Memorandum of Understanding among ICANN, IETF, ETSI, ITU-T, and
W3C, forming the initial PSO. We did that during the plenary meeting
Wednesday evening, and afterwards had a very informal initial discussion
among the leaders of those parties about how to proceed from here.

It is now incumbent on the IETF to supply two members to the Protocol
Council and nominate one or more potential Directors of the ICANN Board to
come from the PSO. The near term objective is to have PSO representation on
ICANN's board by November.

For the long term, it would be best for Poisson to decide how that should
be done - there are good arguments for having the nominating committee do
that job; there are also good arguments (RFC 1601 section 2(e)) for having
the IAB make those choices. In the short term, I believe and request that
the IAB should make interim selections, to stand until that discussion and
process has taken its course.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Fred Baker	|	519 Lado Drive
IETF Chair	| 	Santa Barbara, California 93111
                |	+1 (805) 886-3873