Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-goyal-dpstdy-diffserv-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 07:48:49 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Effect of Number of Drop Precedences in Assured 
                          Forwarding
	Author(s)	: M. Goyal, A. Durresi, R. Jain
	Filename	: draft-goyal-dpstdy-diffserv-01.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 01-Jul-99
	
This informational draft presents a simulation study to compare the
performance of two and three drop precedence levels in an Assured
Forwarding traffic class for mixed TCP/UDP traffic. This is a revised
and comprehensive version of our previous study presented at the
March 99 IETF Meeting at Minneapolis. For this study, we consulted
the principal authors of the Assured Forwarding Class to determine
the parameter set and configurations under which it would be
beneficial to have 3-drop preferences. The results presented here are
based on 1296 simulations (different parameter/traffic pattern
combinations). The results of the simulation study suggest that
optimal number of drop precedence levels in a traffic class depends
on the traffic load and amount of reserved traffic. In a mixed TCP-
UDP traffic scenario, best performance can be achieved with either 2
or 3 levels of drop precedence if most of the TCP packets have
'better' drop precedence than excess UDP packets.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-goyal-dpstdy-diffserv-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-goyal-dpstdy-diffserv-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-goyal-dpstdy-diffserv-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.