Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-udptcpaf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 07:56:29 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Study of TCP and UDP Interaction for the AF PHB
	Author(s)	: N. Seddigh, B. Nandy, P. Pieda
	Filename	: draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-udptcpaf-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 01-Jul-99
	
This informational draft presents results of a study on using
different drop precedence assignments to address fairness issues when
UDP and TCP traffic share the same Assured Forwarding (AF) PHB class.
In particular, five different possible combinations of drop
precedence assignment were explored with two different models of RED
parameter settings. We present results showing that the type of RED
model utilized can play a role in the nature of bandwidth sharing
between TCP and UDP flows. The results also show that with the
current four Class, three Drop Precedence AF specification, fairness
between TCP and UDP in an under-provisioned network cannot be
completely achieved by using separate drop precedence marking.
Certain drop precedence mapping schemes are beneficial to TCP while
others are beneficial for UDP. None are completely fair to both.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-udptcpaf-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-udptcpaf-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-udptcpaf-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.