Subject: Protocol Action: Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges with Traffic Classes, Multicast Filtering and Virtual LAN Extensions to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:06:32 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Definitions of Managed
Objects for Bridges with Traffic Classes, Multicast Filtering and
Virtual LAN Extensions' <draft-ietf-bridge-bridgemib-06.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Bridge MIB
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy
Bush.

Technical Summary
 
 This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for
 use with network management protocols in TCP/IP based internets.  In
 particular it defines objects for managing MAC bridges based on the IEEE
 802.1D-1998 MAC Bridges and IEEE 802.1Q-1998 Virtual LAN (VLAN)
 standards for bridging between Local Area Network (LAN) segments.

 Provisions are made for support of transparent bridging.  Provisions are
 also made so that these objects apply to bridges connected by
 subnetworks other than LAN segments.  This memo also includes several
 MIB modules in a manner that is compliant to the SMIv2 [V2SMI].

Working Group Summary

 This document represents the consensus of the BRIDGE WG.

Protocol Quality

 The document was reviewed for the IESG by Dave Harrington.

Note to RFC Editor:

1. The IESG requests the RFC Editor to replace the abstract section with 
   the  following text:

    This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base
    (MIB) for use with network management protocols in TCP/IP based
    internets.  In particular, it defines two MIB modules for managing
    the new capabilities of MAC bridges defined by the IEEE 802.1D-1998
    MAC Bridges and the IEEE 802.1Q-1998 Virtual LAN (VLAN) standards
    for bridging between Local Area Network (LAN) segments.  One MIB
    module defines objects for managing the 'Traffic Classes' and
    'Enhanced Multicast Filtering' components of IEEE 802.1D-1998.  The
    other MIB module defines objects for managing IEEE 802.1Q VLANs.

    Provisions are made for support of transparent bridging.
    Provisions are also made so that these objects apply to bridges
    connected by subnetworks other than LAN segments.  This memo also
    includes several MIB modules in a manner that is compliant to the
    SMIv2 [V2SMI].

    This memo supplements RFC 1493 [BRIDGEMIB] and (to a lesser extent)
    RFC 1525 [SBRIDGEMIB].

2. The IESG requests the RFC Editor to change the reference (in 
   reference section) [INTERFACEMIB] from RFC1573 to RFC2233 which 
   obsoleted the 1573

3. Note that Les Bell (one of the authors) has the nroff source in which
   he has already made these changes.