Subject: Protocol Action: Binary Labels in the Domain Name System to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 07:52:22 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Binary Labels in the Domain
Name System' <draft-ietf-dnsind-binary-labels-05.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the DNS IXFR, Notification,
and Dynamic Update Working Group.  The IESG contact person is Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document defines a new type of DNS label, a ``Bit-String Label''.
The new label type compactly represents a sequence of ``One-Bit
Labels'' and enables resource records to be stored at any bit-boundary
in a binary-named section of the domain name tree.

Binary labels are intended to efficiently solve the problem of storing
data and delegating authority on arbitrary boundaries when the
structure of underlying name space is most naturally represented in
binary. A new DNS option (described elsewhere [EDNS]) provides a form
of longest-match lookup which is useful when the binary name space is
like Internet addresses.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus for this approach in the WG and no issues were
raised during the Last Call.

Protocol Quality

This protocol has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.