Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-elloumi-diffserv-threevstwo-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 07:19:55 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Usefullness of three drop precedences in Assured 
                          Forwarding service
	Author(s)	: O. Elloumi, S. De Cnodder, K. Pauwels
	Filename	: draft-elloumi-diffserv-threevstwo-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 13-Jul-99
	
This informational memo points out advantages of using three drop
precedences (compared to two) in the Assured Forwarding (AF) Per-
Hop-Behavior (PHB) when the traffic is composed of responsive TCP and
non responsive UDP traffic.  Our simulation results show that while
two drop precedences can, in some cases, guarantee to an aggregate
consisting of TCP traffic the full utilization of the reserved
bandwidth, they cannot allow to access the unreserved bandwidth in
the presence of high bit rate unresponsive UDP traffic. When three
drop precedences are appropriately used TCP aggregates can fully use
the minimum reserved bandwidth and share the unreserved one.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-elloumi-diffserv-threevstwo-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-elloumi-diffserv-threevstwo-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-elloumi-diffserv-threevstwo-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.