Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 07:13:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Web Replication and Caching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Protocol
	Author(s)	: P. Gauthier,  J. Cohen,  M. Dunsmuir,	C. Perkins
        Filename	: draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 29-Jul-99
	
A mechanism is needed to permit web clients to locate nearby web 
proxy caches. Current best practice is for end users to hand 
configure their web client (i.e., browser) with the URL of an 'auto 
configuration file'. In large environments this presents a 
formidable support problem.  It would be much more manageable for 
the web client software to automatically learn the configuration 
information for its web proxy settings. This is typically referred 
to as a resource discovery problem.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.