Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ema-vpim-vpimv2r2-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 07:21:29 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Voice Profile for Internet Mail - version 2
	Author(s)	: G. Vaudreuil, G. Parsons
	Filename	: draft-ema-vpim-vpimv2r2-01.txt
	Pages		: 63
	Date		: 13-Jul-99
	
Voice messaging evolved as telephone answering service into a full send,
receive, and forward messaging paradigm with unique message features,
semantics and usage patterns. Voice messaging was introduced on special
purpose computers that interface to a telephone switch and provide call
answering and voice messaging services.  Traditionally, messages sent
from one voice messaging system to another were transported using analog
networking protocols based on DTMF signaling and analog voice playback.
As the demand for networking increases, there was a need for a standard
high-quality digital protocol to connect these machines.  VPIM has
sucessfully demonstated it's usefulness as this new standard.  VPIM is
widely implemented and is seeing deployment in early adopter customer
networks. This document clarifies ambiguities found in the earlier
specification and is consistent with implementation practice. The
profile is referred to as VPIM (Voice Profile for Internet Mail) in this
document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ema-vpim-vpimv2r2-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ema-vpim-vpimv2r2-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ema-vpim-vpimv2r2-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.