Subject: Protocol Action: IP Tunnel MIB to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 07:52:35 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IP Tunnel MIB'
<draft-ietf-ifmib-tunnel-mib-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Interfaces MIB Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes a Management Information Base (MIB) used for
managing tunnels of any type over IPv4 networks, including GRE,
IP-in-IP, Minimal Encapsulation (RFC 2004), L2TP, PPTP, L2F, and
IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnels. This MIB supports only tunnels over IPv4
networks.

Extension MIBs may be designed for managing protocol-specific objects
(e.g., there is a proposed ID for managing L2TP tunnels that is
compatable with and complements this MIB).  Likewise, extension MIBs
may be designed for managing security-specific objects (e.g., IPsec),
traffic conditioner objects (e.g., for Differentiated Services), etc.

Working Group Summary

During the Last Call, it was pointed out that the MIB did not support
IPv6. After some discussion, it was decided not to address IPv6
support in this document, but leave that as a future work item for a
separate document. In the meantime, a design team has been formed
(http://www.ops.ietf.org/ipv6mib-charter.html) to study the question
of how to support IPv6 in MIBs in the general case.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten, Erik
Nordmark and Bert Wijnen.