Subject: Protocol Action: IPPM Metrics for Measuring Connectivity to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:16:26 -0400

The IESG has approved publication of the following documents as Proposed Standards:

o IPPM Metrics for Measuring Connectivity <RFC2498>
o A One-way Delay Metric for IPPM <draft-ietf-ippm-delay-07.txt>
o A One-way Packet Loss Metric for IPPM <draft-ietf-ippm-loss-07.txt> 
o A Round-trip Delay Metric for IPPM <draft-ietf-ippm-rt-delay-01.txt> 

These documents are the product of the IP Performance Metrics Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
  These four documents describe metrics for the measurement of some of the
  characteristics of IP networks.

  The document "IPPM Metrics for Measuring Connectivity" defines a series of
  metrics for one and two-way connectivity between a pair of Internet hosts.

  The documents "A One-way Delay Metric for IPPM" and  "A Round-trip Delay
  Metric for IPPM" define metrics for one- and two-way delay of packets
  across Internet paths.

  And the document "A One-way Packet Loss Metric for IPPM" defines a metric
  for one-way packet loss across Internet paths.

  All of these metrics are designed to conform to the notions introduced and
  discussed in the IPPM Framework document, RFC 2330.  The metrics are
  designed to promote an effort that will maximize an accurate common
  understanding by Internet users and Internet providers of the performance
  and reliability both of end- to-end paths through the Internet and of
  specific 'IP clouds' that comprise portions of those paths.

Working Group Summary

  The working group supported the publication of these documents.

Protocol Quality

  The documents were reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner

Note to RFC Editor:

      RFC 2498 will have to be republished after editing out the
	references to the fact that it was published as an Experimental RFC.