Subject: Protocol Action: IPv6 Jumbograms to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:46:26 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IPv6 Jumbograms'
<draft-ietf-ipngwg-jumbograms-00.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the IPNG Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
A "jumbogram" is an IPv6 packet containing a payload longer than
65,535 octets.  This document describes the IPv6 Jumbo Payload
option, which provides the means of specifying such large payload
lengths.  It also describes the changes needed to TCP and UDP to make
use of jumbograms.

Jumbograms are relevant only to IPv6 nodes that may be attached to
links with a link MTU greater than 65,575 octets, and need not be
implemented or understood by IPv6 nodes that do not support
attachment to links with such large MTUs.

Working Group Summary

The Jumbo Payload options was originally specified in the base IPv6
specification (RFC 1883).  TCP and UDP enhancements to support
jumbograms were specified in RFC 2147. At the time the IPv6 base
specification was advanced to Draft Standard (RFC 2460), multiple
interoperable implementations of jumbograms had not been
demonstrated. Consequently, jumbogram support was removed from the
IPv6 base document in order to advance the rest of the base spec.

This document defines the Jumbo Payload option, combining the
definition originally in RFC 1883 with the TCP UDP enhancements
defined in 2147.

Protocol Quality

This protocol has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten and Erik
Nordmark.

Note to RFC Editor:

1. The IESG requests that the RFC Editor delete section 1.2 (and remove
   the reference to 2119 in the references section).

2. The IESG requests the RFC Editor to remove section 9 (change log of
   draft versions) from the document.