Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ohta-static-multicast-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 12:01:27 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Static Multicast
	Author(s)	: M. Ohta, J. Crowcroft
 	Filename	: draft-ohta-static-multicast-02.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 02-Jul-99
	
The current IP Multicast model appears to achieve a level of
simplicity by extending the IP unicast addressing model (historically
the classful A,B, and C net numbers) from the mask and longest match
schemes of CIDR, with a new classful address space, class D. The
routing systems have been also built in a deceptively simple way in
one of three manners - either broadcast and prune (DVMRP, Dense Mode
PIM), destination list  based tree computation (MOSPF) or single
centered trees (current sparse mode PIM and CBT). The multicast
service creates the illusion of a spectrum that one can 'tune in to',
as an application writer. Due to this view, many have seen the
multicast pilot service, the Mbone, as a worldwide Ethernet, where
simple distributed algorithms can be used to allocate 'wavelengths'
and advertise them through 'broadcast' on a channel (the session
directory), associated with a spectrum.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ohta-static-multicast-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ohta-static-multicast-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ohta-static-multicast-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.