Subject: FYI 35, RFC 2635 on DON'T SPEW

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 16:37:43 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        FYI 35:
        RFC 2635:

        Title:	    DON'T SPEW A Set of Guidelines for Mass
                    Unsolicited Mailings and Postings (spam*)
	Author(s):  S. Hambridge, A. Lunde
        Status:	    Informational    
	Date:       June 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 44669
	Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None 
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-run-spew-08.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2635.txt

This document explains why mass unsolicited electronic mail messages
are harmful in the Internetworking community.  It gives a set of
guidelines for dealing with unsolicited mail for users, for system
administrators, news administrators, and mailing list managers.  It
also makes suggestions Internet Service Providers might follow.

This document is a product of the Responsible Use of the Network
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.