Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-srisuresh-secure-ra-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 07:05:35 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Secure Remote Access with L2TP
	Author(s)	: P. Srisuresh
	Filename	: draft-srisuresh-secure-ra-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 30-Aug-99
	
L2TP protocol is a virtual extension of PPP across IP network
infrastructure. L2TP makes possible for an access concentrator(LAC)
to be near remote clients, while allowing PPP termination server
(LNS) to be located in enterprise premises. L2TP allows an
enterprise to retain control of RADIUS data base, which is used
to control Authentication, Authorization and Accountability (AAA)
of dial-in users. The objective of this document is to extend
security characteristics of IPsec to remote access users, as they
dial-in through the Internet. This is accomplished without creating 
new protocols and using the existing practices of Remote Access and
IPsec. Specifically, the LNS node, acting as Secure Remote Access
Server (SRAS), will mandate IPsec from remote clients, thereby
ensuring that all IP packets it receives across the Internet are
authenticated prior to injecting to enterprise network. The document
also discusses the configuration aspects of SRAS and its limitations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-srisuresh-secure-ra-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-srisuresh-secure-ra-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-srisuresh-secure-ra-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.