Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mrdisc-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:03:09 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Multicast Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IGMP Multicast Router Discovery
	Author(s)	: S. Biswas,  B. Cain, B. Haberman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mrdisc-02.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 27-Aug-99
	
Companies have been proposing 'IGMP snooping' type schemes for
layer-2 bridging devices.  A method for discovery multicast capable
routers is necessary for these schemes.  An IGMP query message is
inadequate for discoverying multicast routers as one querier is
elected.  In order to 'discover' multicast routers, we introduce
two new types of IGMP messages: Multicast Router Advertisement and
Multicast Router Solicitation.  These two messages can be used by
any device which listens to IGMP to discovery multicast routers.
Multicast ROuter Solicitation messages may be used by any network
device (e.g. layer-2 switch) to solicit discovery messages from
multicast routers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mrdisc-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mrdisc-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mrdisc-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.