Subject: BCP34, RFC 2644 on Changing the Default for Directed Broadcasts in Routers

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 16:17:50 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 34:
        RFC 2644:

        Title:	    Changing the Default for Directed Broadcasts in
                    Routers    
        Author(s):  D. Senie
        Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       August 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      4
        Characters: 6820
	Updates:    1812
        I-D Tag:    draft-senie-directed-broadcast-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2644.txt

Router Requirements [1] specifies that routers must receive and
forward directed broadcasts. It also specifies that routers MUST have
an option to disable this feature, and that this option MUST default
to permit the receiving and forwarding of directed broadcasts.  While
directed broadcasts have uses, their use on the Internet backbone
appears to be comprised entirely of malicious attacks on other
networks.

Changing the required default for routers would help ensure new
routers connected to the Internet do not add to the problems already
present.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.