Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-impp-reqts-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:07:28 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Instant Messaging and Presence Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Instant Messaging / Presence Protocol Requirements
	Author(s)	: M. Day,  S. Aggarwal, G. Mohr,J. Vincent
	Filename	: draft-ietf-impp-reqts-02.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 18-Aug-99
	
Presence and Instant Messaging have recently emerged as a new medium
of communications over the Internet.  Presence is a means for finding,
retrieving, and subscribing to changes in the presence information
(e.g. 'online' or 'offline') of other users. Instant messaging is a
means for sending small, simple messages that are delivered
immediately to online users.

Applications of presence and instant messaging currently use
independent, non-standard and non-interoperable protocols developed by
various vendors.  The goal of the Instant Messaging and Presence
Protocol (IMPP) Working Group is to define a standard protocol so that
independently developed applications of instant messaging and/or
presence can interoperate across the Internet. This document defines a
minimal set of requirements that IMPP must meet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-impp-reqts-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-impp-reqts-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-impp-reqts-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.