Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-macdonald-vir-bri-tun-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 07:08:46 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Virtual Bridge Tunneling
                          Ethernet Encapsulation in IP
	Author(s)	: M. MacDonald
	Filename	: draft-macdonald-vir-bri-tun-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 03-Aug-99
	
This document specifies an approach to provide extended LAN and VLAN
services across IP routed networks.  This is done by adding a virtual
bridge identifier to packets destined to the remote location and then
encapsulating this new packet in IP.  This packet is then source 
routed across the IP network to a Virtual Bridge Tunnel terminating
router where the header is stripped off and the virtual bridge
identifier is used to forward the original packet out the 
corresponding tunnel interface.
Within the IP network the packets are treated like any other IP packets
and as such identical mechanisms such as security and quality of 
service can be applied.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-macdonald-vir-bri-tun-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-macdonald-vir-bri-tun-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-macdonald-vir-bri-tun-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.