Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tls-http-upgrade-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:07:14 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Layer Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Upgrading to TLS Within HTTP/1.1
	Author(s)	: R. Khare, S. Lawrence
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tls-http-upgrade-02.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 18-Aug-99
	
This memo explains how to use the Upgrade mechanism in HTTP/1.1 to
initiate Transport Layer Security (TLS) over an existing TCP
connection. This allows unsecured and secured HTTP traffic to share
the same well known port (in this case, http: at 80 rather than
https: at 443). It also enables 'virtual hosting,' so a single HTTP
+ TLS server can disambiguate traffic intended for several hostnames
at a single IP address. 
Since HTTP/1.1[1] defines Upgrade as a hop-by-hop mechanism, this
memo also documents the HTTP CONNECT method for establishing
end-to-end tunnels across HTTP proxies. Finally, this memo
establishes new IANA registries for public HTTP status codes, as
well as public or private Upgrade product tokens.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-http-upgrade-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tls-http-upgrade-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-http-upgrade-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.