Subject: WG ACTION: Secure Network Time Protocol (stime)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:55:25 -0400

A new working group has been formed in the Security Area of the
IETF. Please contact the chair or Area Directors for additional
information.

Secure Network Time Protocol (stime)
------------------------------------

 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
     Patrick Cain <[email-masked]>
 
 Security Area Director(s): 
     Jeffrey Schiller  <[email-masked]>
     Marcus Leech  <[email-masked]>
 
 Security Area Advisor: 
     Marcus Leech  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       (un)subscribe
     Archive:           send e-mail to [email-masked] with 'index' in body
 
Description of Working Group:
 
For trust models to be truly portable across the Internet, transactions
must be anchored so they are comparable.  The one shared commodity that
can be widely agreed upon is time, and the ability to authenticate the
source of the time can assist in providing such portability in trust.
The ability to securely obtain time from authenticated sources is
thus becoming a key factor in security and non-repudiation.

Current IETF protocols address the distribution of time, and there
is also a project for the generation of cryptographically protected
timestamps.  Existing approaches to distributing time are vulnerable
to external attack and tampering, as these do not take advantage of
advances in public key infrastructure and cryptographic methods, and
require distribution of cryptographic keys via nonscalable out-of-band
means.  Securing time distribution using PKI mechanisms allows the
process to scale and minimizes risk.

The purpose of this working group is to define the message formats
and protocols - specifically, modifications to the existing Network
Time Protocol (NTP) - which are necessary to support the authenticated
distribution of time for the Internet.  The working group will be
chartered for a period of 12 months to meet this goal.  Utilization
of previous research in this area is expected.

Work will concentrate on the Internet-based NTP, to be enhanced with the
addition of public-key based authentication and security.  The working
group expects to enhance NTP by way of occasional "setup" interchanges
between client and time server to establish a shared secret, followed
by normal NTP interchanges secured via the shared secret.  The output
of the working group is expected to be a standards-track document.
 
 Goals and Milestones: 
 
   Aug 99       Submit 3rd draft of Authentication Scheme Extensions to NTP as 
                an I-D                                                         

   Nov 99       Submit 4th draft of Authentication Scheme Extensions to NTP as 
                an I-D                                                         

   Mar 00       Submit Authentication Scheme Extensions to NTP to IESG for 
                consideration as an RFC