Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mathis-tcp-ratehalving-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 07:05:51 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Rate-Halving Algorithm for TCP Congestion Control
	Author(s)	: M. Mathis, J. Semke, J. Mahdavi 
	Filename	: draft-mathis-tcp-ratehalving-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 30-Aug-99
	
This draft provides a detailed description of the Rate-Halving
algorithm.  As specified by RFC2581, Fast Recovery adjusts the
congestion window (cwnd) by transmitting new data only during the
second half of the recovery interval.  The Rate-Halving algorithm
adjusts the congestion window by spacing transmissions at the rate of
one data segment per two segments acknowledged over the entire
recovery period, thereby sustaining the self-clocking of TCP and
avoiding a burst.  Since it is largely independent of the details of
the data retransmission strategy, the Rate-Halving algorithm can be
used with several standard and experimental TCP implementations:
NewReno, SACK, and ECN.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mathis-tcp-ratehalving-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mathis-tcp-ratehalving-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mathis-tcp-ratehalving-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.