Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-xiao-tcp-prec-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:00:12 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: TCP Processing of the IP Precedence Field
	Author(s)	: X. Xiao, E. Crabbe, A. Hannan, V. Paxson
	Filename	: draft-xiao-tcp-prec-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 15-Sep-99
	
This draft describes a potential conflict between TCP [RFC793] and
DiffServ [RFC2475] on the use of the three leftmost bits in the TOS
octet of an IPv4 header [RFC791] or the Traffic Class octet of an
IPv6 header [RFC2460]. In a network that contains DiffServ capable
nodes, such a conflict can cause failures in establishing TCP
connections or can cause some established TCP connections to be reset
undesirably. This draft proposes a modification to TCP for resolving
the conflict.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-xiao-tcp-prec-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-xiao-tcp-prec-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-xiao-tcp-prec-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.