Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-udptcpaf-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:03:30 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Study of TCP and UDP Interaction for the AF PHB
	Author(s)	: N. Seddigh, B. Nandy, P. Pieda
	Filename	: draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-udptcpaf-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 16-Sep-99
	
This informational draft presents results of a study on using
different drop precedence assignments to address fairness issues when
UDP and TCP traffic share the same Assured Forwarding (AF) PHB class.
In particular, six different possible combinations of drop precedence
assignment were explored with two different models of RED parameter
settings. We present results showing that the type of RED model
utilized can play a role in the nature of bandwidth sharing between
TCP and UDP flows. The results also show that with the current four
Class, three Drop Precedence AF specification, complete fairness
between TCP and UDP cannot be completely achieved using separate drop
precedence assignment. This is true for both under-provisioned
networks and over-provisioned networks. Certain drop precedence
mapping schemes are beneficial to TCP while others are beneficial for
UDP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-udptcpaf-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-udptcpaf-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-udptcpaf-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.