Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-policy-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 07:02:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Policy Framework Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Policy Framework
	Author(s)	: M. Stevens,  W. Weiss, H. Mahon,  B. Moore,
                          J. Strassner, G. Waters, A. Westerinen, J. Wheeler
	Filename	: draft-ietf-policy-framework-00.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 14-Sep-99
	
This document articulates the requirements and basic framework of a
policy-based management system for IP networks.  It focuses on the
storage and retrieval of Policy Rules from a repository, for use in
the management and operation of IP networks.  This framework document
describes functional components and operational characteristics of a
system that is intended to be device and vendor independent,
interoperable and scalable.
There are three basic sections of this draft, addressing:
o the motivation for policy-based management that briefly describes
the requirements for implementing policy in IP networks;
o a reference model that defines a first-level functional
decomposition of such a framework, and captures the key concepts in
defining policy tools, Policy Rules, the use of a repository and
schema, and the mechanisms underlying the definition, storage and
retrieval of policies; and
o a description of each of the functional components, as well as a
narrative about how a policy system can implement prescribed
policies.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-framework-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-policy-framework-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-framework-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.