Subject: Protocol Action: Addition of Kerberos Cipher Suites to Transport Layer Security (TLS) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:00:15 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Addition of Kerberos Cipher
Suites to Transport Layer Security (TLS)'
<draft-ietf-tls-kerb-cipher-suites-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the Transport Layer Security Working
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Schiller and Marcus Leech.

Technical Summary
 
  This document defines how to user Kerberos credentials in a TLS
  environment. Kerberos is used to obtain mutual authentication and to
  establish the TLS "master secret" which is then used to provide
  integrity and confidentiality protection for the TLS session.

Working Group Summary

  The working group reached consensus on this proposal

Protocol Quality

  Jeffrey I. Schiller reviewed this document for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please include the following text as an IESG Note:

	The 40-bit ciphersuites defined in this memo are
	included only for the purpose of documenting the fact that
	those ciphersuite codes have already been assigned.  40-bit
	ciphersuites were designed to comply with US-centric, and
	now obsolete, export restrictions.  They were never secure,
	and nowadays are inadequate even for casual applications.
	Implementation and use of the 40-bit ciphersuites defined in
	this document, and elsewhere, is strongly discouraged.