Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bless-diffserv-multicast-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 06:51:31 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IP Multicast in Differentiated Services Networks
	Author(s)	: R. Bless, K. Wehrle
	Filename	: draft-bless-diffserv-multicast-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 10-Sep-99
	
Besides providing basic building blocks for enabling different
quality of service levels for unicast applications, the
Differentiated Services approach will also bring benefits for
multicast applications which need quality of service support.
For instance, a highly reliable multicast service can be
provided based on the Expedited Forwarding per-hop behavior
('Premium service'). However, the current efforts mainly
concentrate on unicast services, whereas the deployment of
multicast services using Differentiated Services needs some
clarification.
This document illustrates some of the problems which will
arise when IP Multicast is used in Differentiated Services
networks without taking special provisions into account for
supplying it. Those problems mainly lead to situations in
which other service users are affected adversely in their
quality. In order to retain the benefits of the Differentiated
Services approach, a quite simple and scalable solution for
those problems is required, not resulting in additional
complexity or costs in a Differentiated Services domain. The
proposed solution in this document requires only an additional
field for the Differentiated Services Codepoint in the
multicast routing table and some support by management
mechanisms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bless-diffserv-multicast-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bless-diffserv-multicast-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bless-diffserv-multicast-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.