Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-swindell-ptsc-hdr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 06:51:42 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Plain Text/Source Code File Header
	Author(s)	: R. Swindell
	Filename	: draft-swindell-ptsc-hdr-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 21-Sep-99
	
Anyone that has dealt at length with plain (ASCII [1]) text and
source code files can testify that the lack of a global definition
of the effect of the horizontal-tab character, all too often, causes
ill-formed display and printed output of plain text files that
utilize the horizontal-tab character for formatting.
This document defines a common header for plain text and source code
(PT/SC) files, whose primary purpose is to specify the tab-dependant
formatting parameters to be used when displaying, printing, or
editing such files.  The defined header also addresses such issues
as whether to use the line-feed character or carriage-return/line-
feed character sequence to terminate lines in the file.  Widespread
adoption and support of the header defined in this document could
substantially improve the interoperability of text and source code
files distributed across the Internet and other mediums.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swindell-ptsc-hdr-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-swindell-ptsc-hdr-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-swindell-ptsc-hdr-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.