Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-manet-rdmar-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:03:08 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Relative Distance Micro-discovery Ad Hoc Routing 
                          (RDMAR) Protocol
	Author(s)	: G. Aggelou, R. Tafazolli
	Filename	: draft-ietf-manet-rdmar-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 16-Sep-99
	
This document describes the Relative  Distance Micro-discovery Ad
Hoc Routing (RDMAR) protocol for use in mobile ad hoc networks
(MANETs).  The protocol is highly adaptive, bandwidth-efficient
and scaleable.  A key concept in its design is that protocol
reaction to link failures is typically localised to a very small
region of the network near the change. This desirable behaviour is
achieved through the use of a novel mechanism for route discovery,
called Relative Distance Micro-discovery (RDM).  The concept behind
RDM is that a query flood can be localised by knowing the relative
distance (RD) between two terminals.  To accomplish this, every
time a route search between the two terminals is triggered, an
iterative algorithm calculates an estimate of their RD, given an
average nodal mobility and information about the elapsed time since
they last communicated and their previous RD.  Based on the newly
calculated RD, the query flood is then localised to a limited
region of the network centred at the source node of the route
discovery and with maximum propagation radius that equals to the
estimated relative distance. This ability to localise query flooding
into a limited area of the network serves to increase scalability
and minimise routing overhead and overall network congestion.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-rdmar-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-manet-rdmar-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-rdmar-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.