Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-fpeng-ecn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:54:55 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A proposal to Cooperate ECN into Wireless and Mobile  
                          Networks
	Author(s)	: F. Peng, J. Ma
	Filename	: draft-fpeng-ecn-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 23-Sep-99
	
TCP congestion control has been developed on the assumption that 
congestion in the network to be the only cause for packet loss. Thus, 
it drops its transmit window upon detecting a packet loss. In the 
presence of high error rates and intermittent connective 
characteristic of wireless link, these results in an unnecessary 
reduction in link bandwidth utilization for packet losses are not 
mainly due to congestion. 
Current ECN proposal proposed by IETF obtains a part separation of 
congestion control and packet losses with the purpose of preventing 
unnecessary packet drops due to buffer overflow. However, network 
congestion can not be completely avoided and because of the losses of 
ECN by corruption and congestion, ECN will have to interact with the 
existing congestion control mechanism in TCP. This paper provides an 
effective way to improve TCP performance in wireless and mobile 
networks and coperate ECN into such environment. Upon each droped 
packets due to buffer overflow or the RED routers, an ISQ (ICMP 
Source Quench) is generated and sent back to the source of each 
droped packet. The approach reduces the reaction time to a congestion 
and a packet loss due to congestion in the network. With the ECN 
control, network congestion is alleviated and when CE bit can be 
marked, no ISQ is required to be generated, so the ISQ messages 
created will not cause wasting of bandwidth. To limit packet losses 
to initiate congestion control too earlier, a window threshold is 
calculated to ensure that packet losses shall not initiate window 
reduction during times without ISQ and ECN messages until the window 
size reaches the smoothed threshold. It is important to note that 
this method is simple to implement for it makes minimal modification 
of current systems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fpeng-ecn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-fpeng-ecn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fpeng-ecn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.