Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-issll-nullservice-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:00:38 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Integrated Services over Specific Link Layers Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Specification of the Null Service Type
	Author(s)	: Y. Bernet, A. Smith,  B. Davie
 	Filename	: draft-ietf-issll-nullservice-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 15-Sep-99
	
In the typical RSVP/Intserv model, applications request a specific
Intserv service type and quantify the resources required for that
service. For certain applications, the determination of service
parameters is best left to the discretion of the network
administrator. For example, ERP applications are often mission
critical and require some form of prioritized service, but cannot
readily specify their resource requirements. To serve such
applications, we introduce the notion of the 'Null Service'. The
Null Service allows applications to identify themselves to network
QoS policy agents, using RSVP signaling. However, it does not
require them to specify resource requirements. QoS policy agents in
the network respond by applying QoS policies appropriate for the
application (as determined by the network administrator).  This mode
of RSVP usage is particularly applicable to networks that combine
differentiated service (diffserv) QoS mechanisms with RSVP signaling
[intdiff]. In this environment, QoS policy agents may direct the
signaled application's traffic to a particular diffserv class of
service.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-issll-nullservice-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-issll-nullservice-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-issll-nullservice-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.