Subject: Protocol Action: List-Id: A Structured Field and Namespace for the Identification of Mailing Lists to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:45:56 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'List-Id:  A Structured Field
and Namespace for the Identification of Mailing Lists'
<draft-chandhok-listid-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This has been
reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Keith Moore.

Technical Summary
 
Software that handles electronic mailing list messages (servers
and user agents) needs a way to reliably identify messages that
belong to a particular mailing list. The List-Id header provides
a standard location for such an identifier.

Working Group Summary

There were some discussion regarding the format of the header itself,
and those ended up in version -03 of the draft which was out for
last call. Version -04 was the result of the last call.

Protocol Quality

The spec was reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom.