Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kelly-ipsra-userauth-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 06:53:49 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: User-level Authentication Mechanisms for IPsec
	Author(s)	: S. Kelly, J. Knowles, B. Aboba
 	Filename	: draft-kelly-ipsra-userauth-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 18-Oct-99
	
IPsec, when used with IKE [RFC2409],  provides for authentication of
endpoints from the device level to the user level. However, there has
been movement within the IPsec development community to provide
additional support for legacy user-level authentication mechanisms
such as those supported by RADIUS [RFC2138]. At least 2 approaches to
this problem have been proposed thus far,  both using the same basic
underlying framework, but that underlying framework relies upon
extending IKE in ways that may not be prudent.  This document
proposes an alternative approach which provides much of the same
functionality without requiring any modification to the existing
IPsec framework.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kelly-ipsra-userauth-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kelly-ipsra-userauth-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kelly-ipsra-userauth-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.