Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-sparks-sip-multiproxy-auth-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:57:39 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Providing for Multiple-Proxy Authentication of a SIP 
                          Request
	Author(s)	: R. Sparks
	Filename	: draft-sparks-sip-multiproxy-auth-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 21-Oct-99
	
SIP/2.0 as specified in RFC2543 provides a mechanism for a proxy
involved in a SIP transaction to authenticate the originator of the
request. Unfortunately, this mechanism is not well defined when more
than one proxy in a requestÆs path desires such authentication. This
draft proposes a mechanism that would allow authentication in that
scenario to work as expected. Under this proposal, SIP clients would
issue requests with multiple Proxy-Authorization headers, one for
each challenge it has seen in the lifetime of a given call leg.
Authenticating SIP proxies would search each request for a Proxy-
Authorization response to its own challenge, passing any others
downstream unaltered.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sparks-sip-multiproxy-auth-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-sparks-sip-multiproxy-auth-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-sparks-sip-multiproxy-auth-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.