Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-ecn-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 06:56:21 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IPsec Interactions with ECN
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, D. Black, K. Ramakrishnan
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipsec-ecn-01.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 19-Oct-99
	
IPsec supports secure communication over potentially insecure network
components such as intermediate routers.  IPsec protocols support two
operating modes, transport mode and tunnel mode.  Explicit Congestion
Notification (ECN) is an experimental addition to the IP architecture
that provides notification of onset of congestion to delay- or loss-
sensitive applications.  ECN provides congestion notifications to
enable adaptation to network conditions without the impact of dropped
packets [RFC 2481].  The use of two bits in the IPsec header for ECN
experimentation conflicts with header processing at IPsec tunnel
endpoints in a manner that makes ECN unusable in the presence of
IPsec tunnels.  This document considers issues related to this
conflict, describes two alternative solutions, and updates the IPsec
architecture [RFC 2401] to include these alternatives.  Support for
one or the other of these alternatives is REQUIRED to remove the
underlying conflict.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ecn-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipsec-ecn-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ecn-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.