Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-aravamudhan-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:57:27 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: NAI Resolution for Wireless Networks
	Author(s)	: L. Aravamudhan, M. O'Brien, B. Patil
	Filename	: draft-aravamudhan-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 21-Oct-99
	
RFC 2468 [1] defines the need of a standardized format for
identifying ISP subscribers for dial-up roaming operations. It
introduced the Network Access Identifier (NAI) to fulfill this
need. The NAI is provided by the mobile node to the dialed ISP
during PPP authentication.
The ability to resolve an NAI for second and third generation
cellular mobile nodes allow traditional cellular service providers
to evolve their home cellular networks to provide cellular
services, IP packet data services and so on with a single
subscription using NAIs. Additionally, this allows cellular
provider to evolve their networks to be IP based.
Second and third generation cellular mobile nodes must perform a
registration and authentication process with their wireless service
provider before the mobile node user may initiate other operations
(See [1] for examples). These mobile nodes do not support the
programming of an NAI nor does the cellular registration message
support the transfer of an NAI to the wireless access network. For
example, North American cellular networks (e.g. AMPS, TDMA, CDMA)
service mobiler nodes that register with a Mobile Identification
Number (MIN). The MIN is then associated with a cellular
subscriber. MIN is shown here only as an example, the same general
idea is applicable to other types of identifiers used in different
access network types. For the same reasons stated in [1], it would
be convenient if an option was available to provide the wireless
subscriber identification in the form of an NAI during the wireless
registration and authentication process. This draft proposes a
solution to resolve NAIs from traditional mobile node identifiers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aravamudhan-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-aravamudhan-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-aravamudhan-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.