Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rmt-gra-arch-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:52:55 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Generic Router Assist (GRA) Building Block    
                          Motivation and Architecture
	Author(s)	:  B. Cain, T. Speakman, D. Towsley
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rmt-gra-arch-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 28-Oct-99
	
Generic Router Assist (GRA) is a network-based service that enables
end-to-end multicast transport protocols to take advantage of infor-
mation distributed across the network elements in a given multicast
distribution tree.  The service consists of a canonical set of simple
functions which network elements may apply to selected packets in the
transport session as they traverse the distribution tree.  The choice
of function and the packet parameters to which it is applied can be
defined and customized for a given transport session in a highly con-
trolled fashion that still permits enough flexibility for GRA to be
used to address a wide range of multicast transport problems not
amenable to end-to-end solution.  This document provides the motiva-
tion and an architecture for GRA.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rmt-gra-arch-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rmt-gra-arch-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rmt-gra-arch-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.