Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-fu-diffserv-security-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:23:29 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Security Issues for Differentiated Service Framework
	Author(s)	: Z. Fu, S. Wu, T. Wu,  H. Huang,  F. Gong
	Filename	: draft-fu-diffserv-security-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 22-Oct-99
	
This document provides a security analysis for the differentiated
service framework. We studied what kinds of attacks can be performed
and how badly attacks can affect network services under the DiffServ
framework. Without a careful investigation of potential attacks and
impacts, the protection systems can not be effectively developed and
evaluated. The DiffServ working group, as a whole, needs to decide
what the important security issues are (or what specific attacks we
need to defend against). Then, it will be meaningful to discuss the
possible solution to those realistic DiffServ vulnerabilities. Our
objective in this report is to define a model for denial of service
attacks under the DiffServ framework.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fu-diffserv-security-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-fu-diffserv-security-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fu-diffserv-security-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.