Subject: WG Review: Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions (l2tpext)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:43:39 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions (l2tpext)
-------------------------------------------------

 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
     Archive:           http://www.ipsec.org/email/l2tp/
 
Description of Working Group:
 
The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP, RFC 2661) is a protocol for
tunneling PPP (RFC 1661) sessions over various network types.  The group
will provide a forum for discussion and development of extensions to
L2TP, and actively advance the L2TP base protocol to Internet Standard.

The group will:

Define and advance standard MIB for L2TP management.

Produce documents describing how L2TP operates over link types other
than IP (e.g., ATM, Frame Relay, etc.)

Identify and define specific parameters and modes of IPsec in order to
aid interoperability when IPsec is used to secure L2TP traffic.

Define and review the definition of any additional IETF AVPs which are
of interest to the group.