Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:56:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IPSec Re-keying Issues
	Author(s)	: T. Jenkins
	Filename	: draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-02.txt
	Pages		: 38
	Date		: 21-Oct-99
	
This document has three primary objectives.
The first objective is to illustrate problems and issues associated
with re-keying within the confines of the current set of IPSec
documents. For a number of reasons, re-keying in IPSec has become
problematic, such that packets can get dropped by IPSec
implementations during re-keying. Worse, there exists the
possibility that IPSec implementations from different vendors may
not be interoperable because of the way they re-key.
The second objective of this paper is to propose methods of
performing both phase 1 and phase 2 re-keying for IPSec
implementations in such a way as to minimise packet loss and to
maximize compatibility.
The initial focus of the first two objectives is on phase 2 re-
keying; it is then extended to phase 1 re-keying. The need for this
document in each case is initially discussed, followed by a
recommendation for re-keying within the protocol framework
established by the initial version of the IPSec documents.
Finally, the third objective of the document is to provide
recommendations for the next version of the IPSec protocols. These
recommendations are made to best solve the re-keying problems in a
manner that is not possible within the constraints of the existing
IPSec documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.