Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv6-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:45:41 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: OSPF for IPv6
	Author(s)	: R. Coltun,  D. Ferguson, J. Moy
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv6-08.txt
	Pages		: 93
	Date		: 26-Oct-99
	
This document describes the modifications to OSPF to support version
6 of the Internet Protocol (IPv6).	The fundamental mechanisms of
OSPF (flooding, DR election, area support, SPF calculations, etc.)
remain unchanged. However, some changes have been necessary, either
due to changes in protocol semantics between IPv4 and IPv6, or
simply to handle the increased address size of IPv6.
Changes between OSPF for IPv4 and this document include the
following. Addressing semantics have been removed from OSPF packets
and the basic LSAs. New LSAs have been created to carry IPv6
addresses and prefixes. OSPF now runs on a per-link basis, instead
of on a per-IP-subnet basis. Flooding scope for LSAs has been
generalized. Authentication has been removed from the OSPF protocol
itself, instead relying on IPv6's Authentication Header and
Encapsulating Security Payload.
Most packets in OSPF for IPv6 are almost as compact as those in OSPF
for IPv4, even with the larger IPv6 addresses. Most field- and
packet-size limitations present in OSPF for IPv4 have been relaxed.
In addition, option handling has been made more flexible.
All of OSPF for IPv4's optional capabilities, including on-demand
circuit support, NSSA areas, and the multicast extensions to OSPF
(MOSPF) are also supported in OSPF for IPv6.
Please send comments to [email-masked].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv6-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv6-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv6-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.