Subject: IESG Position on the required I-D Boilerplate text

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 07:10:12 -0400

All Internet-Drafts must begin with ONE of the following three
statements:

        This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance
        with all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

        This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance
        with all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026 except that the
        right to produce derivative works is not granted.

        This document is an Internet-Draft and is NOT offered in
        accordance with Section 10 of RFC2026, and the author does not
        provide the IETF with any rights other than to publish as an
        Internet-Draft

The purpose of having such a statement is make it immediately clear to
the reader what minimum rights the IETF has to a document and to
obtain assurance that the document is consistent with the intent of
Section 10, RFC 2026, and if not, that status is made immediately
clear. Section 10 covers copyright issues, IPR disclosure and other
issues. In some cases, a document submitter may wish to expand the
abilities beyond the minimum required in Section 10. There is no issue
with doing so, so long as no restrictions inconsistent with the
sentence selected from above are made. In those cases where
restrictions are made or where seemingly contradictory text raises
questions as to what the actual intention is, the draft will be
rejected on submission or (more likely) removed when brought to our
attention. Authors are encouraged to resubmit their documents including
one of the above statements and adding only additional capabilities.