Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pilc-slow-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:59:04 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Performance Implications of Link Characteristics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: End-to-End Performance Implications of Slow Links
	Author(s)	: S. Dawkins, G. Montenegro,  M. Kojo, V. Magret
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pilc-slow-02.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 21-Oct-99
	
This document makes performance-related recommendations for users of
network paths that traverse 'very low bit-rate' links.
'Very low bit-rate' implies 'slower than we would like'. This
recommendation may be useful in any network where hosts can saturate
available bandwidth, but the design space for this recommendation
explicitly includes connections that traverse 56 Kb/second modem
links or 4.8 Kb/second wireless access links - both of which are
widely deployed.
This document discusses general-purpose mechanisms. Where
application-specific mechanisms can outperform the relevant
general-purpose mechanism, we point this out and explain why.
This document has some recommendations in common with RFC 2689,
'Providing integrated services over low-bitrate links', especially
in areas like header compression. This document focuses more on
traditional data applications for which 'best-effort delivery' is
appropriate.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-slow-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pilc-slow-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-slow-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.