Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dcsgroup-sip-arch-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:07:24 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Architectural Considerations for Providing Carrier  
                          Class Telephony Services Utilizing SIP-based  
                          Distributed Call Control Mechanisms
	Author(s)	:  W. Marshall, K. Ramakrishnan,  E. Miller, 
                           J. Pickens, D. Oran, D. Evans,J. Fellows,
                           P. Lalwaney, B. Beser et.al
	Filename	: draft-dcsgroup-sip-arch-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 27-Oct-99
	
This document provides an overview of a SIP-based Distributed Call
Signaling (DCS) architecture to support carrier class packet-based
voice, video, and other real time multimedia services.  Companion
documents [3,4,5,6,7] address a specific set of SIP 2.0 protocol
extensions and usage rules that are necessary to implement the DCS
architecture in an interoperable fashion.
The DCS architecture takes advantage of endpoint intelligence in
supporting telephony services without sacrificing the network's
ability to provide value through mechanisms such as resource
management, lookup of directory information and translation
databases, routing services, security protection, and privacy
enforcement.  At the same time, the architecture provides
flexibility to allow evolution in the services that may be provided
by endpoints and the network.
DCS also takes into account the need to manage access to network
resources and account for resource usage.  The SIP usage rules
defined in the accompanying IDs specifically address the
coordination between Distributed Call Signaling and dynamic quality
of service control mechanisms for managing resources over the access
network.  In addition, the DCS architecture defines the interaction
needed between network provided call controllers, known as a 'DCS-
proxy' (also called Gate Controller in this draft on occasion) for
supporting these services.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dcsgroup-sip-arch-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dcsgroup-sip-arch-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dcsgroup-sip-arch-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.