Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-faltstrom-whois-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:57:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Referal extension to the Whois protocol
	Author(s)	: P. Faltstrom, M. Kosters 
	Filename	: draft-faltstrom-whois-02.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 21-Oct-99
	
This document presents extensions to the Whois protocol output
format which enables a possibility for the server to send referal
information to the Whois client. This referal mechanism can be used
for example in a situation with a registrar/registry model, where
the registrars all have their own Whois databases, and together they
serve a whole TLD. It can also be used when implementing a
root-whois service on top of all whois servers in the world, and
this way enable the possibility of creating advanced proxy services.
For the latter, a registration procedure is also suggested, where
Whois services can be registered.
Discussion on this Internet-Draft is to be held on the mailing list
[email-masked], which is hosted by the Internet Mail
Consortium. To subscribe, send an email to [email-masked], with the text 'subscribe' as the
only word in the body of the mail. There is an archive of the
mailing list at <http://www.imc.org/ietf-whois-ext/>.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-faltstrom-whois-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-faltstrom-whois-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-faltstrom-whois-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.