Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-malloc-arch-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:58:50 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multicast-Address Allocation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Internet Multicast Address Allocation Architecture
	Author(s)	: D. Thaler,  M. Handley, D. Estrin
	Filename	: draft-ietf-malloc-arch-03.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 21-Oct-99
	
This document proposes a multicast address allocation architecture
for the Internet, and is intended to be generic enough to apply to
both IPv4 and IPv6 environments.
As with unicast addresses, the usage of any given multicast
address is limited in two dimensions:
Lifetime:
An address has a start time and a (possibly infinite) end
time, between which it is valid.
Scope:
An address is valid over a specific area of the network.  For
example, it may be globally valid and unique, or it may be a
private address which is valid only within a local area.
This architecture assumes that the primary scoping mechanism in
use is administrative scoping, as described in RFC 2365 [1].
While solutions that work for TTL scoping are possible, they
introduce significant additional complication for address
allocation [2].  Moreover, TTL scoping is a poor solution for
multicast scope control, and our assumption is that usage of TTL
scoping will decline before this architecture is widely used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-malloc-arch-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-malloc-arch-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-malloc-arch-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.