Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-macker-rmt-mdp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 07:31:23 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Multicast Dissemination Protocol (MDP)
	Author(s)	: R. Adamson, J. Macker 
	Filename	: draft-macker-rmt-mdp-00.txt
	Pages		: 52
	Date		: 27-Oct-99
	
The Multicast Dissemination Protocol (MDP) is a protocol framework
designed to provide reliable multicast data and file delivery ser-
vices on top of the generic UDP/IP multicast transport [1].  MDP is
well suited for reliable multicast bulk transfer of data across a
heterogeneous internetwork.  Further enhancements made to the pro-
tocol are suitable for a range of network environments, including
wireless internetwork environments.  At its core, MDP is an effi-
cient negative acknowledgement (NACK) based reliable multicast pro-
tocol that leverages erasure-based coding in ways to improve  pro-
tocol efficiency and robustness.  MDP also includes an optional
adaptive end-to-end rate-based congestion control mode that is to
operate with competing flows (e.g., TCP sessions or other conges-
tion aware flows).  This document describes the protocol messages,
building blocks, general operation, and optional modes of the pre-
sent MDP instantiation and implementation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-macker-rmt-mdp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-macker-rmt-mdp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-macker-rmt-mdp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.