Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-berkowitz-vpn-tax-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:59:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Requirements Taxonomy for Virtual Private Networks
	Author(s)	: H. Berkowitz
	Filename	: draft-berkowitz-vpn-tax-01.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 20-Oct-99
	
Most useful networking ideas involve some level of abstraction.
Virtual private networks (VPN) map an abstraction of an user-defined
interface onto an infrastructure. Multihoming strategies are
virtualizations in the infrastructure [Berkowitz multihome]
that should be invisible to the VPN. Proprietary definitions of VPNs
proliferate in the marketplace, to the confusion of end users. This memorandum proposes a taxonomy which can describe a variety of VPN models.
It does not recommend any specific model, but suggests a consistent
way of describing specific VPNs. This document differs from some
other working papers that go more deeply into the VPN mechanisms.
In contrast, this document is focused on user requirments.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-berkowitz-vpn-tax-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-berkowitz-vpn-tax-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-berkowitz-vpn-tax-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.