Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kini-dube-ospf-redundant-lsa-reduction-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 06:53:45 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Redundant LSA reduction in OSPF
	Author(s)	: S. Kini, R. Dube
	Filename	: draft-kini-dube-ospf-redundant-lsa-reduction-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 12-Oct-99
	
In a link state routing protocol like OSPF, the network and CPU
bandwidth consumed by the routing protocol is primarily to
propagate and process information about the network topology
and changes in the topology. The 'flooding procedure' of OSPF
propagates the topology change information to all routers in the
network. This procedure delivers the information, multiple times
to a router (depending on the source of the information and its
connectivity) even though it needs to be delivered only once.
The resultant wastage of network bandwidth and CPU processing
time reduces the scalability of OSPF. In some cases like a fully
connected subgraph this redundant information increases by an order
of magnitude (from O(n) to O(n^2)). This draft describes a
technique to reduce this redundant information for a fully
connected subgraph of the network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kini-dube-ospf-redundant-lsa-reduction-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kini-dube-ospf-redundant-lsa-reduction-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kini-dube-ospf-redundant-lsa-reduction-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.