Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-curry-idef-xml-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 06:52:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Intrusion Detection Exchange Format             
                          Extensible Markup Language (XML) Implementation
	Author(s)	: D. Curry
	Filename	: draft-curry-idef-xml-00.txt
	Pages		: 55
	Date		: 14-Oct-99
	
The purpose of the Intrusion Detection Exchange Format (IDEF) is to
define data formats and exchange procedures for sharing information
of interest to intrusion detection and response systems, and to the
management systems which may need to interact with them.  The goals
and requirements of the IDEF are described in [2].
This Internet-Draft describes a proposed implementation of the data
format component of the IDEF, using the Extensible Markup Language
(XML) [3] to represent the class hierarchy defined by Debar and
Huang [4].  The rationale for choosing XML is explained, a Document
Type Definition (DTD) is developed, and examples are provided.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-curry-idef-xml-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-curry-idef-xml-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-curry-idef-xml-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.