Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kzm-policy-protcomp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:07:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Comparison of Policy Provisioning Protocols
	Author(s)	: K. McCloghrie, M. Fine
	Filename	: draft-kzm-policy-protcomp-00.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 27-Oct-99
	
The IETF's RAP Working Group has almost completed its task of defining
COPS as a standards-track protocol for RSVP Admission Policy.  The
WG's charter is now being extended to cover standardizing a policy
provisioning protocol, and the proposal put forward for consideration
by the WG is based on defining a new Client-type for COPS.  This new
Client-type is intended to work in conjunction with the QoS Policy
objects and schema definitions being defined in two other IETF Working
Groups: Differentiated Services, and Policy.  Before proceeding any
further, it has been requested that a comparison be undertaken as to
why COPS is better suited to this than a (modified if necessary)
version of SNMP.  This memo attempts to document such a comparison.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kzm-policy-protcomp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kzm-policy-protcomp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kzm-policy-protcomp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.