Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mkhalil-mobileip-buffer-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:55:48 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Buffer Management for Mobile IP
	Author(s)	: M. Khalil, H. Akhtar,  E. Qaddoura, C. Perkins,
                          A. Cerpa
	Filename	: draft-mkhalil-mobileip-buffer-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 21-Oct-99
	
Security and Smooth handoff with minimal data loss and delay are
desirable goals of any mobile network. To minimize data loss while
changing FAs, a MN can request the previous FA to allocate buffers
for storing its (MN's) data. This buffered data is then forwarded
to the MN when it registers with the new FA. This approach may
decrease the window of data loss and delay during handoff.
Additionally, it may be necessary for the MN to authenticate the
new FA before allowing it (the new FA) to receive data from the
previous FA.
This draft outlines a buffering protocol that minimizes the
potential loss of data while the MN changes its subnetwork point of
attachment. This draft also provides a way for the MN to verify the
new FA during the handoff, if and when that is needed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mkhalil-mobileip-buffer-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mkhalil-mobileip-buffer-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mkhalil-mobileip-buffer-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.