Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kouvelas-pim-bidir-new-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:50:31 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A New Proposal for Bi-directional PIM
	Author(s)	: D. Estrin, M. Handley, I. Kouvelas, L. Vicisano
	Filename	: draft-kouvelas-pim-bidir-new-00.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 20-Oct-99
	
This document discusses a new form of Bi-directional PIM, a variant
of PIM Sparse Mode [1] that builds bi-directional shared trees con-
necting multicast sources and receivers.
The ideas presented in this document are similar to those described
in [2]. The main difference between the two proposals is in the
method used to forward packets traveling upstream from a source to
the RP. In particular [2] uses an IP option (UMP option) on data
packets to assist with upstream forwarding. The UMP option identifies
the next hop router responsible for forwarding the packet upstream.
In contrast, this proposal does not alter data packets to embed con-
trol information. Instead the identification of the next hop upstream
forwarder is performed at RP discovery time using a fail-safe elec-
tion mechanism. This significantly simplifies forwarding procedures
and eliminates forwarding loops and packet duplication problems that
exist in [2].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kouvelas-pim-bidir-new-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kouvelas-pim-bidir-new-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kouvelas-pim-bidir-new-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.