Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sigtran-performance-req-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:10:39 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Signaling Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: VoIP Signaling Performance Requirements and 
                          Expectations
	Author(s)	: H. Lin,  K. Yang, T. Seth, C. Huitema
        Filename	: draft-ietf-sigtran-performance-req-01.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 27-Oct-99
	
This document serves as input into the IETF SIGTRAN requirements 
process. It includes call setup delay requirements, derived from 
relevant ISDN and SS7 standards published by ITU-T (International 
Telecommunications Union--Telecommunications Standardization Sector) and 
generic requirements published by Telcordia Technologies (formerly 
Bellcore). To gain user acceptance of Voice-over-IP (VoIP) services and 
to enable interoperability between Switched Circuit Networks (SCNs) and 
VoIP systems, it is imperative that the VoIP signaling performance be 
comparable to that of the current SCNs. The requirements given in this 
Internet Draft are intended to be the worst-case requirements, for at 
least in the United States SCN calls are typically set up at a faster 
speed than the derived requirements. At the end of the draft, several 
VoIP call connection scenarios based on the latest megaco protocol are 
analyzed and compared with similar cases in the PSTN. It indicates the 
PDD performance of VoIP systems is somewhat worst but not by much. An
improvement in some network element can bring VoIP systems to have
comparable PDD performance as the PSTN.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sigtran-performance-req-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sigtran-performance-req-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sigtran-performance-req-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.