Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-karppinen-imap-conman-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 06:55:57 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IMAP4 Connection Management
	Author(s)	: M. Karppinen, A. Skalski
	Filename	: draft-karppinen-imap-conman-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 05-Oct-99
	
The IMAP4 [RFC-2060] protocol is based on the client-server paradigm
where a single client is concerned only with the mail of a single
user.  However, due to advent of several scenarios where n-tier
interaction is desired, the need has arisen to work with several
users' mail during a single IMAP4 connection.
In such scenario, a component of a n-tier system may act as an IMAP4
client on behalf of multiple end-users.  Present examples of this
include many WWW-based email services.  Initial profiling suggests
that persistent IMAP4 connections can lead to a performance increase
of an order of magnitude when compared to separate IMAP4 connections
per mailbox action.
This document defines an extension to the IMAP4 protocol that allows
a persistent connection to be established for accessing the mail of
multiple users. The extension includes a new USERLOGOUT command, and
a requirement for a CAPABILITIES response from servers implementing
the extension.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-karppinen-imap-conman-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-karppinen-imap-conman-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-karppinen-imap-conman-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.