Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-run-adverts-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 06:53:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Responsible Use of the Network Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: How to Advertise Responsibly Using the Internet
                          or - how NOT to $$$$$ MAKE ENEMIES FAST! $$$$$ 
	Author(s)	: E. Gavin, D. Eastlake, S. Hambridge
	Filename	: draft-ietf-run-adverts-01.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 15-Oct-99
	
The Internet is not a free resource. Access and a presence on
the 'Net comes at a cost to the participants, the service provider,
and the recipients of those services made available by the Internet.
Because of the rapid growth and 'mainstream' acceptance of the
'Net, new opportunities have been found for the distribution of
information to the vast and ever-growing community of Internet users.
This condition has caused an awakening on the part of the Internet
community-at-large. With the unprecedented access to people that
has been enabled by a more readily available Internet, there are
groups and individuals who choose to use the 'Net for purposes for
which it was not intended, defying consensus among the practitioners
and the unwilling recipients.
This practice, of course, is the sending of Unsolicited Commercial
and Bulk E-Mail messages, posts to Netnews groups, or other
unsolicited electronic communication. This document shall provide
some measure of clarity to the definitions, dangers, and details
inherent to Internet Marketing, and will propose a common ground
where advertiser, recipient, and the Internet Community can coexist
in a mutually respectful and productive fashion.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-run-adverts-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-run-adverts-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-run-adverts-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.