Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-day-impp-basis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 06:56:52 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Proposed Design Decisions for IMPP
	Author(s)	: M. Day,  S. Aggarwal, G. Mohr, G. Hudson
	Filename	: draft-day-impp-basis-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 04-Oct-99
	
As of this writing, the IMPP working group has largely reached
consensus on the requirements for IMPP [Reqts]. In addition, Hudson
[Issues] has catalogued a set of design issues discussed on the
mailing list.
This document proposes a starting point for further discussions about
the design of the Instant Messaging and Presence Protocol (IMPP). It
is not a fully-specified protocol, but a summary of design decisions
on which the authors were able to reach agreement during two full days
of discussion. Our discussions drew on knowledge of operational and
architectural aspects of Activerse Ding!, Lotus Sametime, Microsoft
Exchange instant messaging, MSN Messenger, and Zephyr, among other
diverse, widely-deployed systems supporting presence and/or instant
messaging.  We believe that the issues on which we reached agreement
are issues on which the working group as a whole should be able to
quickly reach rough consensus.  We hope that the working group will be
able to adopt these decisions as the basis for further work on
designing IMPP; of course, we recognize the possibility that strong
technical arguments not hitherto considered may cause the group to
arrive at different decisions in some instances.
We also identified some areas, primarily related to security, in which
we were lacking enough information or experience to make a solid
recommendation. We draw the working group's attention to these issues
in the hope that others can contribute.  
Although we have treated presence and instant messaging in the same
document, we believe that these design decisions allow implementors to
offer either service independently of the other.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-day-impp-basis-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-day-impp-basis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-day-impp-basis-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.