Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-brezak-win2k-krb-rc4-hmac-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 06:57:32 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Windows 2000 RC4-HMAC Kerberos encryption type
	Author(s)	:  M. Swift, J. Brezak
	Filename	: draft-brezak-win2k-krb-rc4-hmac-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 19-Oct-99
	
The Windows 2000 implementation of Kerberos introduces a new 
encryption type based on the RC4 encryption algorithm and using an 
MD5 HMAC for checksum. This is offered as an alternative to using 
the existing DES based encryption types. 
The RC4-HMAC encryption types are used to ease upgrade of existing 
Windows NT environments, provide strong crypto (128-bit key 
lengths), and provide exportable (meet United States government 
export restriction requirements) encryption. 
The Windows 2000 implementation of Kerberos contains new encryption 
and checksum types for two reasons: for export reasons early in the 
development process, 56 bit DES encryption could not be exported, 
and because upon upgrade from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000, 
accounts will not have the appropriate DES keying material to do the 
standard DES encryption. Furthermore, 3DES is not available for 
export, and there was a desired to use a single flavor of encryption 
in the product for both US and international products. 
As a result, there are two new encryption types and one new checksum 
type introduced in Windows 2000.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brezak-win2k-krb-rc4-hmac-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-brezak-win2k-krb-rc4-hmac-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-brezak-win2k-krb-rc4-hmac-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.