Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kitamura-ipv6-hbh-ext-csi-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:00:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Connection/Link Status Investigation (CSI) for IPv6 
                          IPv6 Hop-by-Hop option and ICMPv6 messages Extension
	Author(s)	: H. Kitamura
	Filename	: draft-kitamura-ipv6-hbh-ext-csi-01.txt
	Pages		: 43
	Date		: 26-Oct-99
	
This document proposes a new mechanism called 'Connection/Link Status
Investigation (CSI)'. It is designed to collect status information of
nodes along the communication path. One new IPv6 Hop-by-Hop option
(CSI option) and three new ICMPv6 messages (Status Request/Reply, and
Status Report) are proposed as extensions for the CSI mechanism.
The CSI mechanism is based on hop-by-hop data acquisition operations
and realtime 'boomerang' action messages. It is simple and can
investigate both outgoing and incoming paths between the source and
the destination with minimum investigation packets.
It can provide various new functions (e.g. realtime consumed
bandwidth measurement, etc.). Since it has good characteristics, it
is possible to innovate current investigation functions (e.g.,
'traceroute', 'pathchar', etc.)
This document describes specifications of the CSI mechanism and
defines a set of basic data types. The CSI mechanism is designed as a
generic framework mechanism. By defining new data types to collect,
it can be easily applied to various advanced usages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kitamura-ipv6-hbh-ext-csi-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kitamura-ipv6-hbh-ext-csi-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kitamura-ipv6-hbh-ext-csi-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.