Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 06:52:30 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Computing TCP's Retransmission Timer
	Author(s)	: V. Paxson, M. Allman
	Filename	: draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 04-Oct-99
	
The Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) [Pos81] uses a
retransmission timer to ensure data delivery in the absence of any
feedback from the remote data receiver.  The duration of this timer
is referred to as RTO (retransmission timeout).  RFC 1122 [Bra89]
specifies that the RTO should be calculated as outlined in [Jac88].
This document codifies the algorithm for setting the RTO.  RFC 2581
[APS99] outlines the algorithm TCP uses to begin sending after the
RTO expires and a retransmission is sent.  This document does not
alter the behavior outlined in RFC 2581 [APS99].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.