Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-imai-mdo6-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:57:21 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Multiple Destination option on IPv6(MDO6)
	Author(s)	: I. Yuji
	Filename	: draft-imai-mdo6-00.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 21-Oct-99
	
The multiple Destination option on IPv6(MDO6) is an elastic
multicast delivery system. Elastic multicast uses a list of final
unicast addresses of each destination node, that is embedded into an
optional routing header, as the destination of a datagram. Routers on
the multicast path could forward datagrams by looking up the next hops
router for individual final unicast addresses with the existing
unicast routing table. Elastic Multicast has several advantages as
follows.
- Scalability concerns with a number of multicast groups, because no
  special multicast routing information is needed.
- Multicast application programs can freely join and prune by
  adding/deleting destination addresses to/from a list of destinations
  without any request for intermediate routers on a multicast delivery
  tree.
- For efficiency of forwarding, MDO6 has a mechanism for a 'tractable
  list'. MDO6 routers can forward datagrams with 'tractable list'
  saving route look up of same direction group of destination nodes.
- For Gradual deployment of Elastic Multicast, datagrams can
  reach a final destination even if there are routers which can
  not recognize MDO6 on the multicast delivery path.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-imai-mdo6-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-imai-mdo6-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-imai-mdo6-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.