Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-awduche-mpls-te-optical-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:08:34 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Multi-Protocol Lambda Switching: Combining MPLS 
                          Traffic Engineering Control With Optical 
                          Crossconnects
	Author(s)	: D. Awduche, Y. Rekhter, J. Drake,  R. Coltun
	Filename	: draft-awduche-mpls-te-optical-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 27-Oct-99
	
This document describes an approach to the design of control planes
for optical crossconnects (OXCs), which leverages existing control
plane techniques developed for MPLS Traffic Engineering.  The
proposed approach combines recent advances in MPLS traffic
engineering control plane constructs with OXC technology to:  (1)
provide a framework for real-time provisioning of optical channels in
automatically switched optical networks, (2) foster the expedited
development and deployment of a new class of versatile OXCs, and (3)
allow the use of uniform semantics for network management and
operations control in hybrid networks consisting of OXCs and label
switching routers (LSRs).  The proposed approach is particularly
advantageous for OXCs intended for data-centric optical
internetworking systems. In such environments, it will help to
simplify network administration.  This approach also paves the way
for the eventual incorporation of DWDM multiplexing capabilities in
IP routers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-awduche-mpls-te-optical-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-awduche-mpls-te-optical-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-awduche-mpls-te-optical-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.