Subject: RFC 2716 on PPP EAP TLS Authentication Protocol

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:29:46 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2716:

        Title:	    PPP EAP TLS Authentication Protocol
        Author(s):  B. Aboba, D. Simon
        Status:     Experimental
	Date:       October 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 50108
	Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None  
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pppext-eaptls-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2716.txt

The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) provides a standard method for
transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links.  PPP
also defines an extensible Link Control Protocol (LCP), which can be
used to negotiate authentication methods, as well as an Encryption
Control Protocol (ECP), used to negotiate data encryption over PPP
links, and a Compression Control Protocol (CCP), used to negotiate
compression methods.  The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) is
a PPP extension that provides support for additional authentication
methods within PPP.
 
Transport Level Security (TLS) provides for mutual authentication,
integrity-protected ciphersuite negotiation and key exchange between
two endpoints.  This document describes how EAP-TLS, which includes
support for fragmentation and reassembly, provides for these TLS
mechanisms within EAP.

This document is a product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.