Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-medina-mmcm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:05:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Multimedia Color Marker
	Author(s)	: O. Medina,  J. Bonnin, L. Toutain
	Filename	: draft-medina-mmcm-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 26-Oct-99
	
This document defines a mark and drop mechanism called Multimedia
Color Marker or mmCM. This mechanism, based on the Three Color Marker
[trTCM], can be used as a component of a Diffserv traffic conditioner
for CBR Audio/Video flows. In addition to the functions performed by
a color aware trTCM, the mmCM performs rate control and reactive
discard. Rate control protects TCP flows from unresponsive UDP
streams. Rate control is performed by introducing a third Token
Bucket to the trTCM model with a small bucket size. Reactive discard
is used to increase the probability of delivery for low precedence
packets. Reactive discard is performed by demoting or dropping yellow
and red packets in reaction to a green packet demotion at the marker.
Hierarchically coded Audio/Video flows can benefit of this
functionality if the coder pre-marks the stream to reflect the
relative value of the information transported in each IP packet. It
is assumed that the mmCM is used in conjunction with AF-based
services.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-medina-mmcm-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-medina-mmcm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-medina-mmcm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.