Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-root-opreq-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:01:47 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name Server Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Root Name Server Operational Requirements
	Author(s)	: R. Bush, D. Karrenberg, M. Kosters, R. Plzak
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsop-root-opreq-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 27-Oct-99
	
As the internet becomes increasingly critical to the world's social
and economic infrastructure, attention has rightly focused on the
correct, safe, reliable, and secure operation of the internet
infrastructure itself.  The root domain name servers are seen as a
crucial part of that technical infrastructure.  The primary focus of
this document is to provide guidelines for operation of the root name
servers.  Other major zone server operators (gTLDs, ccTLDs, major
zones) may also find it useful.  These guidelines are intended to
meet the perceived societal needs without overly prescribing
technical details.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-root-opreq-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsop-root-opreq-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-root-opreq-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.