Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 06:53:50 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Extensions to FTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Extensions to FTP
	Author(s)	: R. Elz, P. Hethmon
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-08.txt
	Pages		: 60
	Date		: 15-Oct-99
	
In order to overcome the problems caused by the undefined format of
the current FTP LIST command output, a new command is needed to
transfer standardized listing information from Server-FTP to Client-
FTP.  Commands to enable this are defined in this document.
In order to allow consenting clients and servers to interact more
freely, a quite basic, and optional, virtual file store structure is
defined.
This proposal also extends the FTP protocol to allow character sets
other than US-ASCII[1] by allowing the transmission of 8-bit
characters and the recommended use of UTF-8[2] encoding.
Much implemented, but long undocumented, mechanisms to permit
restarts of interrupted data transfers in STREAM mode, are also
included here.
Lastly, the HOST command has been added to allow a style of 'virtual
site' to be constructed.
New in this version of this document: Servers now permitted to refuse
to allow connections with no HOST command if they have good reason
(ie: MUST NOT changed to SHOULD NOT).  Make it clear that REST is
only defined to complete a partially completed transfer, and that
other uses lead to undefined results.  Make it clear(er) that
type=cdir names are allowed only when the type fact is included in
the output.  Make it clear(er) that facts are only included when
relevant, and that the order of their inclusion may be random.  Make
it clear that a server is not required to list every file that might
be in a directory listed (it may hide 'hidden' files if it desired).
Allow OPTS MLST to be refused before authentication.  Several MLST
related examples have been added.  Created IANA registries of OS
specific MLST facts and filetypes.  This paragraph will be deleted
from the final version of this document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.