Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-aboba-acct-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 06:52:06 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Authentication, Authorization and Accounting Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Introduction to Accounting Management
	Author(s)	: B. Aboba, J. Arkko
	Filename	: draft-aboba-acct-02.txt
	Pages		: 37
	Date		: 04-Oct-99
	
The field of Accounting Management is concerned with the collection of
resource consumption data for the purposes of capacity and trend
analysis, cost allocation, auditing, and billing. This document
describes each of these problems, and discusses the issues involved in
design of modern accounting systems.
Since accounting applications do not have uniform security and
reliability requirements, it is not possible to devise a single
accounting protocol and set of security services that will meet all
needs. Thus the goal of accounting management is to provide a set of
tools that can be used to meet the requirements of each application.
This document describes the currently available tools as well as the
state of the art in accounting protocol design. A companion document,
draft-brownlee-accounting-attributes-0x.txt, reviews the state of the
art in accounting attributes and record formats.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aboba-acct-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-aboba-acct-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-aboba-acct-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.