Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pilc-asym-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 06:53:14 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Performance Implications of Link Characteristics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: TCP Performance Implications of Network Asymmetry
	Author(s)	: H. Balakrishnan, V. Padmanabhan
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pilc-asym-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 04-Oct-99
	
This document describes the problems to TCP performance that arise
because of asymmetric effects. These problems arise in several
access networks, including bandwidth-asymmetric networks and packet
radio networks, for different underlying reasons. However, the net
effect on TCP performance is the same in both cases: performance
degrades significantly because of imperfections and variabilities in
the ACK feedback from the receiver to the sender. This document
details several solutions to these problems, which use a combination
of local link-layer techniques and end-to-end mechanisms. Solutions
to the problem of asymmetry are two-pronged: (i) techniques to
manage the reverse channel used by ACKs, typically using header
compression or reducing the frequency of TCP ACKs, and (ii)
techniques to handle this reduced ACK frequency to retain the TCP
senderÆs acknowledgment-triggered self-clocking.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-asym-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pilc-asym-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-asym-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.