Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-calhoun-mobileip-min-lat-handoff-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 06:52:55 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Minimal Latency Secure Hand-off
	Author(s)	: P. Calhoun, H. Akhtar, E. Qaddoura 
	Filename	: draft-calhoun-mobileip-min-lat-handoff-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 07-Oct-99
	
The Mobile IP Working Group has been working on defining its AAA
requirements, which currently supports a Key Distribution Center
(KDC) model that issues temporary session keys for use between the
mobility nodes. In order to support real-time traffic, the Mobile IP
architecture also requires that hand-off be done in a quick and
efficient manner, and has provisions to allow new foreign agents to
retrieve the session keys from the AAA infrastructure.
Although the AAA infrastructure can assist in the hand-off process,
this is largely a mobility problem, and should be dealt with in the
mobility protocol.  This draft describes how the mobile node can
assist in the hand-off process by carrying the foreign agent's keying
information, providing the keys to new foreign agents while
registering. This proposal is intended to decrease the latency
involved in the hand-off process, thereby enabling seemless real time
traffic over Mobile IP networks. This draft still allows the foreign
agents to get keying information from the AAA infrastructure should
that be necessary.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-mobileip-min-lat-handoff-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-calhoun-mobileip-min-lat-handoff-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-mobileip-min-lat-handoff-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.