Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-berkowitz-multirqmt-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:51:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: To Be Multihomed: Requirements & Definitions
	Author(s)	: H. Berkowitz
	Filename	: draft-berkowitz-multirqmt-02.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 20-Oct-99
	
As organizations find their Internet connectivity increasingly critical
to their mission, they seek ways of making that connectivity more
robust. The term 'multi-homing' often is used to describe means of
fault-tolerant connection. Unfortunately, this term covers a variety of
mechanisms, including naming/directory services, routing, and physical
connectivity. The 'home' may be identified by a DNS name, an IP address, or an IP address and transport-layer port identifier. Any of these identifiers may be translated in the path between source and destination. This memorandum presents a systematic way to define the requirement for resilience, and a taxonomy for describing mechanisms to achieve it. Its intended audience is primarily people concerned with planning and performing multihoming deployments, rather than protocol developers. It examines both requirements and applications, with the emphasis on the former.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-berkowitz-multirqmt-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-berkowitz-multirqmt-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-berkowitz-multirqmt-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.