Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-perlman-simple-multicast-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:30:39 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Simple Multicast: A Design for Simple,
			  Low-Overhead Multicast
	Author(s)       : R. Perlman, C. Lee, T. Ballardie, 
			  J. Crowcroft, Z. Wang, T. Maufer, C. Diot,
		  	  J. Thoo, M. Green
	Filename	: draft-perlman-simple-multicast-03.txt
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 27-Oct-99
	
This paper describes a design for multicast that is simple to
understand and low enough overhead for routers that a single scheme
can work both within and between domains. It also eliminates the need
for coordinated multicast address allocation across the Internet. It
is not very different from the tree-based schemes CBT, PIM-SM, and
BGMP. Essentially all of the mechanisms to support this have already
been implemented in the other designs. The contribution of this
protocol is in what is NOT required to be implemented.

The main idea for simplifying multicast is to consider the identity
of a group to be the 8-byte combination of a

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-perlman-simple-multicast-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-perlman-simple-multicast-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-perlman-simple-multicast-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.