Subject: RFC 2709 on Security for NAT Domains

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 11:21:52 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2709:

        Title:	    Security Model with Tunnel-mode IPsec for NAT
                    Domains
        Author(s):  P. Srisuresh
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       October 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 24552
	Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None  
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nat-security-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2709.txt

There are a variety of NAT flavors, as described in [Ref 1]. Of the
domains supported by NATs, only Realm-Specific IP clients are able
to pursue end-to-end IPsec secure sessions. However, all flavors of
NAT are capable of offering tunnel-mode IPsec security to private
domain hosts peering with nodes in external realm. This document
describes a security model by which tunnel-mode IPsec security can
be architected on NAT devices. A section is devoted to describing
how security policies may be transparently communicated to IKE (for
automated KEY exchange) during Quick Mode. Also outlined are
applications that can benefit from the Security Model described.

This document is a product of the Network Address Translator (NAT)
Domains' Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited. 

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.