Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-cornish-qtp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 06:52:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Quick Transaction Protocol - QTP
	Author(s)	: A. Cornish, M. Cox, I. Palmer, A. Telfer, C. Wignell
	Filename	: draft-cornish-qtp-00.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 17-Nov-99
	
This protocol is intended to provide a short duration transaction
service for dial-in and network connected POS, Visa, and other short
duration transaction applications to transfer data  between the
access routers and transaction based servers over an IP network.
As the world has moved towards IP based backbone networks, a need
has arisen for the ability to conduct short duration transactions
over these networks.  Such short duration transactions are integral
to Visa, EFTPOS, security monitoring, alarm monitoring, meter
reading, toll monitoring, location information (i.e. GPS), EDI, and
a wide variety of other applications in similar environments.
The Quick Transaction Protocol (QTP) specifies a protocol to be used
over IP networks for short duration transactions.  It is based on
the concept of peer to peer delivery of transaction data in a
fashion analogous to the Connectionless Network Protocol (CLNP).  As
such it extends the use of CLNP over IP networks.
While QTP may be used as a transport protocol over either UDP or
TCP, UDP is recommended as it minimizes the variable delay of the
network.  This allows implementation of transaction protocols such
as VISA II to be done in the transaction server as well as allowing
for transactions where delivery of data must be fair to all
customers such as in stock feeds.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cornish-qtp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-cornish-qtp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-cornish-qtp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.