Subject: WG Review: DNS Extensions (dnsext)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:30:58 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only: Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
     Archive:           ftp://rs.internic.net/archives/namedroppers
 
Description of Working Group:
 
The DNS Extensions Working Group is chartered to produce extensions to
the DNS standard to address new requirements on the system.  DNS is
originally specified in RFCs 1034 and 1035, with subsequent updates.
Within the scope of this WG are protocol issues, including message
formats and message handling.  The WG also considers new data formats.

Issues surrounding the operation of DNS, recommendations concerning
the configuration of DNS servers, and other issues with the use of the
protocol are out of this Working Group's charter.  These issues are
considered in other venues, such as operational issues in the DNS
Operations Working Group.

Broad topics under consideration in DNSEXT are security,
enhancement of the resolver to server interchange, and adjustments to
address the requirements of IPv6 addressing.  Security topics, mostly
inherited from the erstwhile DNS Security Extensions Working Group, will 
be addressed in cooperation with the DNS Operations Working Group.

The principal task within this Working Group is to advance several
documents describing proposed extensions to DNS. The current list of
documents under consideration for advancement is:

  Title                       RFC               Status

  Serial Number Arithmetic    RFC 1982          Proposed

  Incremental Zone transfer   RFC 1995          Proposed

  Notify                      RFC 1996          Proposed

  DNS SRV service location    RFC 2052          Experimental

  Dynamic Update              RFC 2136          Proposed

  Security for Dynamic Update RFC 2137          Proposed

  Clarification to DNS        RFC 2181          Proposed

  Negative Caching            RFC 2308          Proposed

  Security Extensions         RFC 2535-2539     Proposed

  Extensions to DNS0          RFC 2671          Proposed

Other specific work items are:

 o TSIG - transaction signatures in (dnsind-tsig-xx.txt)

 o TKEY - Secret Key establishment for DNS (dnsind-tkey-xx.txt)

 o Secure dynamic update, two competing proposals
          (dnsind-simple-secure-update-xx.txt)
          RFC2137 update

 o Compression of newly defined data types

 o New compression methods for DNS data

 o Design of new extensions for DNS

 o Protocol clarifications and corrections for DNSSEC

New work items may be added from time-to-time with the approval of the
Working Group and the responsible Area Director.