Subject: Protocol Action: UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646 to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 07:39:50 -0500

The IESG has approved RFC2279, UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO
10646 as a Draft Standard.  The IESG contact persons are Keith Moore
and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
The UTF-8 is one of the available encodings of ISO-10646, and the one which
is recommended in RFC 2130. It is also the case that this encoding is
backward compatible with US-ASCII, i.e. 16-bit characters with values
between 0x0000 and 0x007F in ISO-10646 are encoded as one byte each, with
these values (i.e. 0x00-0x7F), and those byte-values doesn't appear in the
encoding of any other character. Therefore the encoding has also been
called "file system safe".

Working Group Summary

There is consensus on moving this RFC to Draft Standard.

Protocol Quality

UTF-8 is implemented in various text handling routines in various operating
systems, aswell as in applications natively. Interoperability has been
tested with Microsoft Word 2000 and Tango Creator. The interoperability
report can be found at http://www.ietf.org/IESG/rfc2279-implementation.txt

The protocol was reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom