Subject: Protocol Action: PGP authentication for RIPE database updates to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 14:34:44 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft PGP authentication for RIPE
database updates <draft-ietf-rps-dbsec-pgp-authent-02.txt> as a
Proposed Standards.

This document is the product of the Routing Policy System Working
Group. The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
 This document describes a stronger authentication method for the update
 of RIPE database objects using digital signatures.  It tries to be as
 general as possible as far as digital signing methods are concerned,
 however, it concentrates on PGP as the first method to be implemented.

Working Group Summary

 There was no dissent in the working group and the RIPE DBSEC Task
 Force also seemed to have consensus behind it

Protocol Quality

 This was reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush. It seems well thought
 out.  And the general PGP approach is similar to one deployed for many
 years at a large US-based provider.