Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ops-mumble-terminology-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:28:04 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Unified Terminology for Policy Based Networking
	Author(s)	: F. Reichmeyer, M. Stevens
	Filename	: draft-ops-mumble-terminology-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 28-Oct-99
	
Policy Based Networking (PBN) is a topic of interest to many areas
within the networking community. Initially considered for the
implementation and control of QoS services, several groups are
looking to deploy policy-based networks for a wider variety of
applications, such as security and VPN. We have found, when trying
to coordinate efforts of the different groups, that there are some
misunderstandings among the groups, some of which can be attributed
to the different terminology that has propagated through the groups.
In this draft, we attempt to clear up some of these
misunderstandings, concentrating on PBN for Policy Provisioning
(rap), Differentiated Services (diffserv), IP Security (ipsp), and
general Policy Framework (policy). The terminology discussed here is
not meant to be an exhaustive list of PBN-related terms and
concepts, but it is intended to represent at least the four areas
mentioned.
It is NOT intended that this draft defines an architecture or
framework for PBN _ each group is clearly qualified to define these
for themselves. Instead, we identify the terminology common to all
PBN applications and suggest definitions, which are meaningful and
useful, yet general enough to be applicable across all PBN
applications.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ops-mumble-terminology-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ops-mumble-terminology-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ops-mumble-terminology-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.