Subject: Protocol Action: Agent Extensibility (AgentX) Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 07:23:14 -0500

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Proposed Standards:

o Agent Extensibility (AgentX) Protocol
  <draft-ietf-agentx-rfc-update-03.txt>. This document obsoletes
  RFC2257, currently a Proposed Standard

o Definitions of Managed Objects for Extensible SNMP Agents
  <draft-ietf-agentx-mib-05.txt>.

These documents are the product of the SNMP Agent Extensibility Working
Group. The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
 This first memo defines a standardized framework for extensible SNMP
 agents.  It defines processing entities called master agents and
 subagents, a protocol (AgentX) used to communicate between them, and
 the elements of procedure by which the extensible agent processes
 SNMP protocol messages. This memo obsoletes RFC 2257.

 This new revision has some fixes and clarifications that resulted
 from implementation experience and from interoperability testing.

 The 2nd memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
 for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
 In particular, it describes objects for managing SNMP agents that use
 the Agent Extensibility (AgentX) Protocol.

Working Group Summary

 The WG has consensus on the two documents.

Protocol Quality

 The documents were reviewed for the IESG by Bill Strahm and Bert Wijnen