Subject: Protocol Action: Guidelines for Writers of RTP Payload Format Specifications to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:59:55 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Guidelines for Writers of RTP
Payload Format Specifications'
<draft-ietf-avt-rtp-format-guidelines-04.txt> as a BCP.  This document
is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
 This document provides guidelines for how to design efficient
 formats for carrying payloads in RTP packets.  The document
 emphasizes the importance of keeping each packet as self-contained
 as possible, so that packets remain useful even in the presence
 of loss and reordering.  The discussion is in terms of codec
 payloads, but the principles apply to most other forms of RTP
 payloads, too.

Working Group Summary

 The goal of this document was to capture discussion which occurred over
 the course of many AVT meetings regarding functions that an RTP pyaload
 format should provide.  The document was revised twice to address working
 group comments.  There were no controversial issues remaining regarding
 the present draft.

Protocol Quality

 The document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.