Subject: Protocol Action: Generic Security Service Application Program Interface Version 2, Update 1 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:00:48 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Generic Security Service
Application Program Interface Version 2, Update 1'
<draft-ietf-cat-rfc2078bis-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard, obsoleting
RFC2078.

In the same action, the IESG approved publication of Generic Security
Service API Version 2: C-bindings <draft-ietf-cat-gssv2-cbind-09.txt>
as a Proposed Standard, obsoleting RFC1509.

These documents are the product of the Common Authentication Technology
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Schiller and
Marcus Leech.

Technical Summary
 
  The Generic Security Service Application Program Interface
(GSS-API), Version 2, as defined here provides security services to
callers in a generic fashion, supportable with a range of underlying
mechanisms and technologies and hence allowing source-level
portability of applications to different environments. This
specification defines GSS-API services and primitives at a level
independent of underlying mechanism and programming language
environment, and is to be complemented by other, related documents.

Working Group Summary

  The working group has consensus on these documents.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Jeffrey I. Schiller for the IESG.