Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-aiken-middleware-reqndef-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 06:52:37 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Terminology for network policy and services:
                          a report of a workshop on middleware.	         
       Author(s)	: R. Aiken,  J. Strassner,B. Carpenter, I. Foster, 
                          C. Lynch,  J. Mambretti, R. Moore,  B. Teitelbaum     
	Filename	: draft-aiken-middleware-reqndef-02.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 17-Nov-99
	
An ad hoc middleware workshop was held at the International Center for 
Advanced Internet Research in December 1998.  The Workshop was 
organized and sponsored by Cisco, Northwestern University's 
International Center for Advanced Internet Research (iCAIR), IBM, and 
the National Science Foundation (NSF). The goal of the workshop was to 
identify existing middleware services that could be leveraged for new 
capabilities as well as identifying additional middleware services 
requiring research and development.  The workshop participants 
discussed the definition of middleware in general, examined the 
applications perspective, detailed underlying network transport 
capabilities relevant to middleware services, and then covered various 
specific examples of middleware components. These included APIs, 
authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA) issues, policy 
framework, directories, resource management, networked information 
discovery and retrieval services, quality of service, security, and 
operational tools.  The need for a more organized framework for 
middleware R&D was recognized, and a list of specific topics needing 
further work was identified.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aiken-middleware-reqndef-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-aiken-middleware-reqndef-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-aiken-middleware-reqndef-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.