Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-leecy-multicast-te-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 07:38:41 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Engineering Paths for Multicast Traffic
	Author(s)	: C-Y. Lee, L. Andersson, K. Carlberg, B. Akyol
	Filename	: draft-leecy-multicast-te-01.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 11-Nov-99
	
This document describes a solution to engineer paths for IP multicast
traffic in a network, by directing the control messages to setup
multicast trees on engineered paths. This enables the network
operator to have control over the topology of multicast trees.
This proposal partitions the multicast traffic engineering problem
such that multicast routing protocols do not have to be modified to
allocate resources for multicast traffic nor do resource allocation
protocols such as RSVP or CR-LDP have to be able to setup forwarding
states (in this case labels) like multicast routing protocols.
Resources are allocated on the same trip that paths are selected and
setup.  This prevent the problem of data being forwarded on branches
of the tree where resources have not being allocated yet. An
important aspect of this proposal is that it enables multicast paths
to be engineered in an aggregatable manner, allowing this solution to
scale in the backbone.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-leecy-multicast-te-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-leecy-multicast-te-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-leecy-multicast-te-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.