Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ma-ftcp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 06:58:11 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Fast-TCP: An enhancement to the current TCP
	Author(s)	: J. Ma, R. Zhang
	Filename	: draft-ma-ftcp-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 29-Nov-99
	
Being the widely used transport protocol in Internet, TCP might be 
influenced by the congestion occurred in those nodes (i.e., routers, 
IP/ATM access nodes, and ATM switches) along the travelling path. Since 
TCP relies on the end-to-end window-based mechanism to explain the 
congestion, there is limited room for intermediate network elements to 
explicitly contribute to the TCP control. However, in huge pipe 
networks, TCP might be ineffective because it starts decreasing its rate 
just after it senses packet's loss, implying that the network has 
already been congested somewhere. A general mechanism of delaying ACKs 
in congested nodes is presented in this draft to connect the traffic 
control of TCP with that of network elements. This mechanism can be 
considered as an enhancement to the currently prevalent TCP and referred 
to Fast-TCP. The basic idea of Fast-TCP arises from the fact that 
controlling ACK flows can indirectly affect the dynamics of TCP's 
behavior. ACK delay mechanism can be easily implemented in various 
network nodes where information of link utilization or buffer occupancy 
may be employed to notify the congestion. By using ACK delay policy at 
IP routers in a complex network, we present the simulation results to 
show that this policy achieves good TCP throughput and reduces the 
buffer requirement.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ma-ftcp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ma-ftcp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ma-ftcp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.