Subject: Protocol Action: The COPS (Common Open Policy Service) Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:20:02 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the following as Proposed
Standards:

 o The COPS (Common Open Policy Service) Protocol
	<draft-ietf-rap-cops-08.txt>

 o COPS usage for RSVP
	<draft-ietf-rap-cops-rsvp-05.txt>

 o RSVP Extensions for Policy Control
	<draft-ietf-rap-rsvp-ext-06.txt>

 o Signaled Preemption Priority Policy Element
	<draft-ietf-rap-signaled-priority-04.txt>

 o Identity Representation for RSVP
	<draft-ietf-rap-rsvp-identity-05.txt>

The IESG also approved publication of A Framework for Policy-based
Admission Control <draft-ietf-rap-framework-03.txt> as an Informational
RFC.

This document is the product of the Resource Allocation Protocol
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Vern
Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
   These documents describe a client/server model for supporting
   policy control over QoS Signaling Protocols and provisioned QoS
   resource management. It is designed to be extensible so that other
   kinds of policy clients may be supported in the future. The model
   does not make any assumptions about the methods of the policy
   server, but is based on the server returning decisions to policy
   requests.

   The COPS document describes the query/response protocol that
   can be used to exchange policy information between a policy server
   (Policy Decision Point or PDP) and its clients (Policy Enforcement
   Points or PEPs) such as routers.  The assumption is that at least one
   policy server in each controlled administrative domain.

   The other standards track documents describe how to use COPS
   to support an RSVP-enabled network and the extensions to
   RSVP that are required to enable COPS.

   The framework document presents an overall description of the
   client/server model and its use.

Working Group Summary

   The working group strongly supported the publication of these
   documents and there were no significant issues raised during
   IETF Last-Call.

Protocol Quality

    These documents were reviewed for the IETF by Scott Bradner.
    There are a number of implementations of the basic protocol.