Subject: Protocol Action: NHRP Support for Virtual Private Networks to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:43:27 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'NHRP Support for Virtual
Private Networks' <draft-ietf-ion-nhrp-vpn-03.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Internetworking Over
NBMA Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and
Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
The NBMA Next Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP) is used to determine the
NBMA subnetwork addresses of the "NBMA next hop" towards a public
internetworking layer address (see RFC 2332).  This document describes
the enhancements necessary to enable NHRP to perform the same function
for private internetworking layer addresses available within the
framework of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) service on a shared NBMA
network.

Working Group Summary

There was WG consensus for the approach outlined in this document and
no issues were raised during the last call.

Protocol Quality

This protocol has been reviewed by Thomas Narten & Erik Nordmark for
the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please add RFC2119 to the list of references.