Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-salsman-www-device-upload-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 08:36:42 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Form-based Device Input and Upload in HTML
	Author(s)	: J. Salsman
	Filename	: draft-salsman-www-device-upload-08.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 24-Nov-99
	
Currently, HTML forms allow the producer of the form to request 
information, including files of data, from the operator using the 
form. However, this capability is limited because HTML forms don't 
provide a way to ask the operator to submit input from arbitrary 
sources such as audio devices like microphones. Since input and 
upload from various devices is a feature that will benefit many 
applications, this draft proposes an extension to the HTML INPUT 
type='file' form element. Motivations include language instruction 
assistance, voice transcription, and high-quality speech 
transmission under low-bandwidth conditions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-salsman-www-device-upload-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-salsman-www-device-upload-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-salsman-www-device-upload-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.