Subject: Protocol Action: OSPF for IPv6 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 07:51:14 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'OSPF for IPv6'
<draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv6-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
is the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are David Oran and Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
OSPFv6 is an updated version of the Open Shortest Path First routing
protocol which has been in widepread use as an interior gateway protocol
with IPv4 for a number of years. OSPFv6 enhances the protocol so that it may
be used as an IGP for IP version 6.

The fundamental mechanisms of OSPF (flooding, DR election, area support, SPF
calculations, etc.) remain unchanged. However, some changes and enhancements
were made. Addressing semantics have been removed from OSPF packets and the
basic LSAs (link state advertisements). New LSAs have been created to carry
IPv6 addresses and prefixes. OSPF now runs on a per-link basis, using IPv6
link-local addresses, instead of on a per-IP-subnet basis. Flooding scope
for LSAs has been generalized. Authentication has been removed from the OSPF
protocol itself, instead relying on IPv6's Authentication Header and
Encapsulating Security Payload.

All of OSPF for IPv4's optional capabilities, including on-demand circuit
support, NSSA areas, and the multicast extensions to OSPF (MOSPF) are also
supported in OSPF for IPv6.

Working Group Summary

There was unanimous agreement within the working group that this protocol is
ready for Proposed Standard status. Consensus was also unanimous on the
technical content of the document.

Protocol Quality

The protocol was reviewed for the IESG by Dave Oran. There are two
implementations, as described in Section 4 of 
draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-stdreport-00.txt.