Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ema-vpim-vpimv2r2-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:13:55 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Voice Profile for Internet Mail - version 2
	Author(s)	: G. Vaudreuil, G. Parsons
	Filename	: draft-ema-vpim-vpimv2r2-02.txt
	Pages		: 62
	Date		: 18-Nov-99
	
Voice messaging evolved as telephone answering service into a full
send, receive, and forward messaging paradigm with unique message
features, semantics and usage patterns. Voice messaging was
introduced on special purpose computers that interface to a telephone
switch and provide call answering and voice messaging services.
Traditionally, messages sent from one voice messaging system to
another were transported using analog networking protocols based on
DTMF signaling and analog voice playback.  As the demand for
networking increases, there was a need for a standard high-quality
digital protocol to connect these machines.  VPIM has successfully
demonstrated its usefulness as this new standard.  VPIM is widely
implemented and is seeing deployment in early adopter customer
networks. This document clarifies ambiguities found in the earlier
specification and is consistent with implementation practice. The
profile is referred to as VPIM (Voice Profile for Internet Mail) in
this document.
This second revision of the version 2 of obsoletes RFC 2421 which
less precisely describes version 2 of the profile.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ema-vpim-vpimv2r2-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ema-vpim-vpimv2r2-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ema-vpim-vpimv2r2-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.