Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 06:36:16 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name Server Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Distributing Root or Authorittative Name Servers via 
                          Shared Unicast Addresses
	Author(s)	: T. Hardie
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 22-Dec-99
	
This memo describes a set of practices intended to enable an
authoritative name server operator to provide access to a single
named server in multiple locations.  It was originally written to
apply particularly to root server operations and later expanded to
include the more general case of authoritative name servers.  In
both cases, the primary motivation for the development and
deployment of these practices is to increase the distribution of DNS
servers to previously under-served areas of the network topology and
to reduce the latency for DNS query responses in those areas.  This
document presumes a one-to-one mapping between named authoritative
servers and administrative entities (operators).  This document
contains no guidelines or recommendations for caching name servers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.