Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-welzl-ptp-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 06:55:46 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Performance Transparency Protocol (PTP)
	Author(s)	: M. Welzl
	Filename	: draft-welzl-ptp-02.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 07-Dec-99
	
More and more modern Internet applications need to know certain
network performance parameters in order to adapt. Recent efforts have
shown that it is indeed possible for end-systems to determine quite a
few of these parameters by probing the network, but the methods used
are often time-consuming, mostly show network-unfriendly behaviour
and in some cases the results are just not precise enough.
We describe a protocol that allows end-systems to efficiently
retrieve this information without putting much load onto the network
or complexity in routers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-welzl-ptp-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-welzl-ptp-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-welzl-ptp-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.