Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-shirey-ugli-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 06:40:07 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The UGLI Method: Using Gargantuanware to Layout Internet Documents
	Author(s)	: R. Shirey
	Filename	: draft-shirey-ugli-00.txt
	Pages		: 35
	Date		: 28-Dec-99
	
The ASCII-text file format of Request for Comments (RFC) documents
was devised decades ago when the authoring tools were line editors
like vi and text processors like nroff. The format still has great
utility because it meets the constraints of many kinds of printing
and display equipment, but it is difficult to produce with some of
today's desktop publishing tools. This paper describes the RFC text
file format and discusses its fine points; this should be useful to
authors of RFCs and Internet Drafts regardless of their tools. This
paper also describes the UGLI method, a hybrid method for producing
RFCs by using modern software for composition and editing and using
older software, applied in 'cookbook' fashion, to finish the job. The
method is described in terms of Microsoft Word on an Apple Macintosh
but is easily adaptable for other word processors on other platforms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shirey-ugli-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-shirey-ugli-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-shirey-ugli-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.