Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-wiget-dynamic-vpls-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 06:55:25 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Dynamic VPLS solution over multicast enabled IP 
                          backbone
	Author(s)	: M. Wiget, S. Bryden, G. Mattson
 	Filename	: draft-wiget-dynamic-vpls-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 06-Dec-99
	
This document describes an experimental serverless solution to build
Virtual Private LAN Segments (VPLS) for TCP/IP over a multicast
enabled IP backbone.  IP traffic is encapsulated in IPsec [RFC2401]
tunnel mode. IP broadcast and multicast traffic is sent, after
encapsulation in IPSec tunnel mode, to the VPN assigned IP multicast
address. IP unicast traffic, after encapsulation,  is sent directly
to the dynamically learned IP tunnel endpoint address.  Multicast
Enabled ARP (ME-ARP) as defined in this document is used to
dynamically build the mapping between IP addresses and remote tunnel
endpoints. The tunnel endpoint information is hidden in the hardware
address given to IP devices in the ARP reply. Therefore IP devices
participating in a VPLS keep track of the remote locations of other
VPLS members through their own ARP table without 'knowledge'.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wiget-dynamic-vpls-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-wiget-dynamic-vpls-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wiget-dynamic-vpls-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.