Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-aboba-pppext-eapgss-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 06:52:24 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: PPP EAP GSS Authentication Protocol
	Author(s)	: B. Aboba
	Filename	: draft-aboba-pppext-eapgss-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 02-Dec-99
	
The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) provides a standard method for
transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links.  PPP
also defines an extensible Link Control Protocol (LCP), which can be
used to negotiate authentication methods, as well as an Encryption
Control Protocol (ECP), used to negotiate data encryption over PPP
links, and a Compression Control Protocol (CCP), used to negotiate
compression methods.  The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
provides a standard mechanism for support of additional authentication
methods within PPP.  Through the use of EAP, support for a number of
authentication schemes may be added, including smart cards, Kerberos,
Public Key, One Time Passwords, and others.

It is desirable to support GSS_API authentication methods within EAP,
since this permits developers creating GSS_API compliant authentication
methods to leverage their development efforts. This document describes
how EAP-GSS, which includes support for  fragmentation and reassembly,
supports the use of  GSS_API mechanisms within EAP. GSS_API provides for
the negotiation of authentication methods through use of the SPNEGO
mechanism. As a result, any GSS_API mechanism supported by SPNEGO can be
used with EAP-GSS.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aboba-pppext-eapgss-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-aboba-pppext-eapgss-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-aboba-pppext-eapgss-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.