Subject: RFC 2729 on Taxonomy of Communication Requirements

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 09:26:23 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2729

        Title:	    Taxonomy of Communication Requirements for
                    Large-scale Multicast Applications
        Author(s):  P. Bagnall, R. Briscoe, A. Poppitt
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       December 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 53322
	Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None  
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lsma-requirements-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2729.txt

The intention of this memo is to define a classification system for
the communication requirements of any large-scale multicast
application (LSMA). It is very unlikely one protocol can achieve a
compromise between the diverse requirements of all the parties
involved in any LSMA. It is therefore necessary to understand the
worst-case scenarios in order to minimize the range of protocols
needed. Dynamic protocol adaptation is likely to be necessary which
will require logic to map particular combinations of requirements to
particular mechanisms.  Standardizing the way that applications define
their requirements is a necessary step towards this.  Classification
is a first step towards standardization.

This document is a product of the Large Scale Multicast Applications
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.