Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 06:58:05 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: L2TP Link Extensions
	Author(s)	: W. Palter, W. Townsley
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 08-Dec-99
	
The physical separation of the LAC and LNS with L2TP[2] and logical
separation of the responsibilities of each with respect to negotiated
link parameters introduces a lack of awareness between the tunnel
endpoints that does not exist in a typical PPP dialup device. When
possible, Proxy LCP provides a manner in which to negotiate link
parameters at the LAC and communication of these in full to the LNS.
If these options can be made acceptable to the LNS, then there should
not be any insurmountable difficulty with regard to mismatch of link
expectations. However, given that there are instances where
negotiation of LCP[1] must take place at the LNS, some direction by
the LAC as to what parameters are acceptable, as well as some
communication from the LNS as to what parameters have been
negotiated, is desirable.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.