Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pim-v2-sm-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 06:53:20 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Independent Multicast-Sparse Mode (PIM-SM): 
                          Protocol Specification
	Author(s)	: L. Wei, D. Estrin, D. Farinacci, A. Helmy, 
                          D. Thaler,  S. Deering, M. Handley, V. Jacobson,  
                          C. Liu, P. Sharma
  	Filename	: draft-ietf-pim-v2-sm-01.txt
	Pages		: 65
	Date		: 01-Dec-99
	
This document describes a protocol for efficiently routing to
multicast groups that may span wide-area (and inter-domain)
internets.  We refer to the approach as Protocol Independent
Multicast--Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) because it is not dependent on any
particular unicast routing protocol, and because it is designed to
support sparse groups as defined in [1][2]. This document describes
the protocol details. For the motivation behind the design and a
description of the architecture, see [1][2]. Section 2 summarizes
PIM-SM operation.  It describes the protocol from a network
perspective, in particular, how the participating routers interact to
create and maintain the multicast distribution tree.  Section 3
describes PIM-SM operations from the perspective of a single router
implementing the protocol; this section constitutes the main body of
the protocol specification.  It is organized according to PIM-SM
message type; for each message type we describe its contents, its
generation, and its processing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-v2-sm-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pim-v2-sm-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-v2-sm-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.