Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vaudreuil-vpimdir-ars-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 06:59:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Voice Messaging Directory: Address Resolution Services
	Author(s)	: G. Vaudreuil
	Filename	: draft-vaudreuil-vpimdir-ars-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 30-Nov-99
	
The telephone number delegation and call routing system is a
hierarchitecal system. ITU standard E.164 defines the structure of the
telephone number as follows:
{country code) (Nationally significant part)
The country code may be from one to three digits, and the total length
may be up to 16 digits.  The nationally significant portion may be
arbitraily divided on any number boundary.  In many countries numering
plans, the divisions are not uniform, that is, the 'area codes' or
'City codes' may be of varying lengths within a single country and the
total number of digits may be variable.
Within this flexiblity, it is always the case that the delegation of
authority is done left-to-right. With this assumption, a numbering
tree can be built on a digit-by-digit basis can represent any of these
hierarchical structures.  DNS permits the delegation of authority on
arbitary boundaries such that a delegation to country code '1', '44',
and '972' can all coexist under a single numbering plan root.  The
same applies for 'area codes', 'City codes' or 'service selectors'
within numbering plans.
The protocol mechanics outlined in this document are devised in such a
manner that the clients do not need any knowledge of the numbering
plan itself to correctly construct a query of the Address Resolution
Service.  The client may mechanically collect digits, format the
query, and receive a response to any telephone number in the world.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vaudreuil-vpimdir-ars-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vaudreuil-vpimdir-ars-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vaudreuil-vpimdir-ars-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.