Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pan-bgrp-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 06:58:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: BGRP: A Framework for Scalable Resource Reservation
	Author(s)	: P. Pan, E. Hahne, H. Schulzrinne
	Filename	: draft-pan-bgrp-framework-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 19-Jan-00
	
Resource reservation needs to accommodate the rapidly growing size
and increasing service diversity of the Internet. This memo first
defines the scaling problem in today's Internet backbone, and briefly
discusses several existing resource management approaches. Then we
will present a distributed approach and introduce a protocol, called
the Border Gateway Reservation Protocol (BGRP), for inter-domain
resource reservation that can scale in terms of message processing
load, state storage and control message bandwidth.
The main idea of our approach is to build a sink tree for each domain
network.  Each sink tree aggregates reservations from all data
sources in the network. Sink tree initiation, maintenance and
termination involve only backbone border routers. Within each domain,
the network service providers manage network resource and direct user
traffic independently. At the border routers, the service providers
can use BGRP to setup domain-level reservation trunks base on bi-
lateral agreement. Since routers only maintain the sink tree
information, the total number of reservation states at each router
scales, in the worst case, linearly with the number of domains in the
Internet.
For bandwidth reservation, BGRP relies on differentiated services for
data forwarding. As a result, the number of packet classifier entries
is small.  To reduce the protocol message traffic, routers may
reserve domain bandwidth beyond the current load so that sources can
join or leave the tree or change their reservation without having to
send messages all the way to the root for every such change.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pan-bgrp-framework-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pan-bgrp-framework-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pan-bgrp-framework-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.