Subject: Protocol Action: IANA Allocation Policies For Values In the Internet Protocol and Related Headers to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:06:59 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IANA Allocation Policies For
Values In the Internet Protocol and Related Headers'
<draft-bradner-iana-allocation-05.txt> as a BCP.  This has been reviewed
in the IETF, but is not the product of an IETF Working Group.  The IESG
contact person is Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
 For many years the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has
 allocated parameter values for fields in the network protocols which
 have been created or are maintained by the Internet Engineering Task
 Force (IETF).  Starting a few years ago the IETF began to provide the
 IANA with guidance for the assignment of parameters for fields in newly
 developed protocols.  Unfortunately this type of guidance was not
 consistently provided for the fields in protocols developed before 1998.
 This memo attempts to codify existing IANA practice used in the
 assignment of parameters in the specific case of some of these
 protocols.  It is expected that additional memos will be developed in
 the future to codify existing practice in other cases.

 This memo addresses the fields within the IPv4, TCP, UDP, ICMP and
 IPv6 headers for which the IANA assigns values.

Protocol Quality

 The draft has been reviewed for utility and quality by Randy Bush.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please change the last sentence in the following paragraph:

  3. Version field in the IP header.
 
     The first field in the IP header of all current versions of IP is the
     Version field.  New values in the Version field define new versions
     of the IP protocol and are allocated only after an IETF Standards
     Action. It should be noted that the hi-order bit of the Version field
     is also used by TCP/IP header compression. [HC]

to:

	It should be noted that some of the Version number bits are used by
	TCP/IP header compression schemes. Specifically, the hi-order bit of
	the Version field is also used by TCP/IP header compression [HC],
	while the three hi-order bits are used by IP Header Compression
	[IPHC].

Then in the reference section, add:

	[IPHC] Degermark. M, Nordgren. S, Pink. B, "IP Header Compression,"
       RFC 2507, February, 1999.