Subject: Protocol Action: Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:51:21 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Generic Routing Encapsulation
(GRE)' <draft-meyer-gre-update-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Erik Nordmark.

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies a protocol for encapsulation of an arbitrary
network layer protocol over another arbitrary network layer
protocol. This document takes the parts of RFC 1701 (GRE) that are
actually in widespread use and removes those features that are not.
Implementations of this document will interoperate with deployed GRE
systems.

Working Group Summary

The document is not a WG product. During the extended last call, a
number of comments were received, including objections to having
extensions that moved beyond RFC 1701. All of those extensions were
removed from this document. Some comments were received suggesting
extensions to the base document. Those suggestions may be pursued in a
followup document extending GRE, but were not incorporated in this
document as they were not considered critical enough to justify a
resultant non-interoperability with the installed base.

Protocol Quality

This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush, Thomas
Narten, and Erik Nordmark.