Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pint-conf-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 06:39:30 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the PSTN and Internet Internetworking Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A proposal for new PINT building blocks with 
                          applications to Conference Calling
	Author(s)	: L. Slutsman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pint-conf-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 06-Jan-00
	
The main purpose of this document is to propose new Conference Call 
Service for the PINT WG. This document contains a description of a 
Conference Call Service for PINT (CCSP), provides a non-exhaustive 
list of PINT requests (PINT Conference Building Blocks) to support 
them, and describes the needed extensions to the current PINT 
architecture.  Current PINT services, such as Request to Call, use 
the Internet only to deliver service requests from an IP host to the 
PSTN to be executed there.  However, limiting the PINT Conference 
service to  just delivering the request to allocate the conference 
bridge to the PSTN, would hardly justify the practicality of the 
service.  The PINT Conference Service described in this document 
allows for the following functionality: 
o manual or automated negotiation of conference parameters, such as 
date, agenda, etc., before the PSTN resources are committed;  
o requesting the PSTN to allocate the conference bridge; 
o requesting the PSTN to start the conference automatically by 
calling each participant at the specified time;  
A proposal for new PINT building blocks with applications to Conference Calling    
o monitoring real-time conference events by keeping track of the 
current speaker as well as of participants leaving or joining the 
conference bridge.  
Unlike the current PINT services, which require exactly one request 
per service, the proposed Conference Call Service with the above 
functionality, needs to be mapped into a number of PINT requests.  In 
this paper we propose a non-exhaustive list of PINT requests to 
support the basic CCSP functionality.  We also discuss the extensions 
to the current PINT architecture that are needed to support the CCSP. 
If the service proposal is approved by the PINT WG, the protocol 
issues such as profiling SIP, SDP, etc.  will be addressed in the 
forthcoming documents.  
This document is intended for the PSTN-Internet Interworking (PINT) 
worki

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pint-conf-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pint-conf-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pint-conf-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.