Subject: Protocol Action: Certificate Management Messages over CMS to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:53:49 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Certificate Management
Messages over CMS' <draft-ietf-pkix-cmc-05.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Public-Key
Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are
Jeffrey Schiller and Marcus Leech.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes how to use the Cryptographic Message Syntax
(CMS) (used by S/MIME) as the basis for a Certificate Management
Protocol (CMP). A CMP is used by entities who have created a
public/private key pair to communicate with a Certificate Authority (CA)
and arrange for the issuance and communication of a X.509
Certificate. This protocol must provide security services to ensure that
the correct public key is provided to the CA and that the entity is in
fact communicating with the CA it intends. CMC (this document) makes use
of CMS as a substrate to build these services.

Working Group Summary

The working group supports these documents.

Protocol Quality

Jeff Schiller has reviewed these documents for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please change the last paragraph in the Abstract section from:

   The key words "MUST", "REQUIRED", "SHOULD", "RECOMMENDED", and "MAY"
   in this document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC 2119].

To:

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL
   NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and
   "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in
   [RFC 2119].