Subject: Protocol Action: Mail Monitoring MIB to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:37:42 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Mail Monitoring MIB'
<draft-ietf-madman-email-mib-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard, obsoleting
RRC1566 and RFC2249.

This document is the product of the Mail and Directory Management Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Keith Moore and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
  This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
  for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
  Specifically, this memo extends the basic Network Services Monitoring
  MIB defined in the Network Services Monitoring MIB to allow
  monitoring of Message Transfer Agents (MTAs). It may also be used
  to monitor MTA components within gateways.

Working Group Summary

  Working group discussion was terse and noncontroversial.

Protocol Quality

  During IETF Last Call and IESG review, it was pointed out that
  the MIB defined some objects with a Syntax of DisplayString,
  which is basically (US) NVT ASCII.
  These objects have been changed to now allow for internatial
  character strings and they now use UTF-8 based syntax. The
  approach taken is considered to have only a small (if any)
  impact for existing implementations.

  The document has been reviewed for the IESG by Steve Waldbusser
  and Bert Wijnen.