Subject: WG Review: Internationalized Domain Name System (idn)

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:12:47 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
     Archive:           ftp://ops.ietf.org/pub/lists/idn*
 
Description of Working Group:
 
The goal of the group is to investigate and specify the requirements for
supporting internationalized domain names.

The scope of the group is to investigate the possible means of doing 
this and what technical impact they will have on the users of such names 
and on other users and administrators of the domain name system.

The group will not address the question of what, if any, body should
administer or control usage of names that use this functionality.

The Action Item(s) for the Working Group are

 1. An Informational RFC specifying the requirements for encoding
    International characters into DNS names and records. The document
    should provide guidance for development solutions to this problem,
    taking localized (e.g. writing order) and related operational issues
   into consideration.

 2. An Informational RFC or RFC's documenting the various proposals
    and Implementations of Internationalization (i18n) of Domain Names.
    The document(s) should also provide a technical evaluation of the
    proposals by the Working Group.