Subject: Protocol Action: Coexistence between Version 1, Version 2, and Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network Management Framework to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:30:24 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Coexistence between Version
1, Version 2, and Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network Management
Framework' <draft-ietf-snmpv3-coex-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the SNMP Version 3 Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
  The purpose of this document is to describe coexistence between
  version 3 of the Internet-standard Network Management Framework,
  (SNMPv3), version 2 of the Internet-standard Network Management
  Framework (SNMPv2), and the original Internet-standard Network
  Management Framework (SNMPv1).  This document obsoletes RFC 1908
  (which is at Draft Standard) and RFC 2089 (which is Informational).

  The document also conatins a MIB module for the snmpCommunityMIB
  which helps to support the coexistence. It allows to configure
  SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c community strings and then map them into
  a SecuirtyName and Context such that it fits into the SNMP
  achitecture defined in RFC 2571. This then also allows SNMPv1 and
  SNMPv2 access to management information to be controlled via
  the View-based Access Control Model (VACM) as defined in RFC 2575.

Working Group Summary

  It took the WG a while to reach agreement on all aspects of the
  coexistence document. This document does represent the consensus
  of the SNMPv3 WG.

Protocol Quality

  The document has been reviewd for the IESG by Bert Wijnen and
  Randy Bush.