Subject: Protocol Action: Host Resources MIB to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:23:11 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Host Resources MIB'
<draft-ops-hostmib-01.txt> as a Draft Standard. This document obsoletes
RFC1514, currently a Proposed Standard.

This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group. It was been produced by the original authors upon
request of the APPS and OPS Area Directors.

This IESG points of Contact are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.
 
Technical Summary
 
   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base
   (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the
   Internet community.  This memo obsoletes RFC 1514, the "Host
   Resources MIB". This memo extends that specification by
   clarifying changes based on implementation and deployment
   experience and documenting the Host Resources MIB in SMIv2
   format while remaining semantically identical to the existing
   SMIv1-based MIB.

   This memo defines a MIB for use with managing host systems.
   The term "host" is construed to mean any computer that
   communicates with other similar computers attached to the
   internet and that is directly used by one or more human
   beings. Although this MIB does not necessarily apply to
   devices whose primary function is communications services
   (e.g., terminal servers, routers, bridges, monitoring
   equipment), such relevance is not explicitly precluded.  This
   MIB instruments attributes common to all internet hosts
   including, for example, both personal computers and systems
   that run variants of Unix.

Working Group Summary

   This document is was not produced by an IETF WG.

   The original hostmib was done in the HOSTMIB WG and resulted
   in RFC1514 as Proposed Standard. The APS and OPS ADs have
   asked a few individuals to collect implementation experience
   and to document interoperability of multiple implementations

   The authors have made some clarifications to the document
   and have also converted the MIB to SMIv2. In addition they
   have added the latest MIB boiler plate, and a proper security
   section. They have also splity off the definitions of
   StorageTypes, DeviceTypes, FileSystemTypes into a new MIB
   module (HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES, which will be maintained by
   IANA.

Protocol Quality

   The document has gone through a few iterations and has been
   discussed on the hostmib mailing list.

   The document has been reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.
   An implementation/interoperability report is available at:
   http://www.ietf.org/IESG/rfc1514-implementation.txt