Subject: Protocol Action: Mobile IP Network Access Identifier Extension to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:32:30 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Mobile IP Network Access
Identifier Extension' <draft-ietf-mobileip-mn-nai-07.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the IP Routing for
Wireless/Mobile Hosts Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are
David Oran and Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
   AAA servers are in use within the Internet today to provide
   authentication and authorization services for dial-up and
   roaming computers. Such services are likely to be equally
   valuable for mobile nodes using Mobile IP when the nodes are
   attempting to connect to foreign domains with AAA servers.
   AAA servers today identify clients by using the Network Access
   Identifier (NAI).

   This specification defines a way for the mobile node to identify
   itself to the AAA server of the the foreign domain by including
   the NAI along with the Mobile IP Registration Request it sends to
   the foreign agent of the domain. Additionally, it allows a mobile
   node to authenticate itself despite not having a permanently-assigned
   IP address.

Working Group Summary

   There was no dissent on the technical approach taken.

   There was some controversy concerning the inclusion of example scenarios
   employing the DIAMETER AAA protocol, on which consensus has not been
   reached in the AAA working group. Those examples have been removed.

   The protocol was originally last-called for Experimental status.
   At IETF-46 the WG met and there was strong consensus that the protocol
   should instead be standards track. After discussion with the
   Area Directors, the specification was deemed mature and solid enough
   to progress to proposed standard.

Protocol Quality

   At the last bakeoff/interop testing held in July '99 in San Jose
   there were four implementation of MN-NAI. These implementations were
   able to sucessfully interoperate with each other. Details of this
   interop are available at:  http://www.diameter.org/mip_results.txt

   This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Dave Oran.