Subject: WG Review: Configuration Management with SNMP (snmpconf)

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:33:14 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Operations and
Management Area Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Configuration Management with SNMP (snmpconf)
---------------------------------------------
  
 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       subscribe snmpconf
     Archive:           [email-masked] (index snmpconf in body)

Description of Working Group:
 
The working group will create a Best Current Practices document which
outlines the most effective methods for using the SNMP Framework to
accomplish configuration management. The scope of the work will include
recommendations for device specific as well as network-wide (Policy)
configuration. The group is also chartered to write any MIB modules
necessary to facilitate configuration management, specifically they will
write a MIB module which describes a network entities capabilities and
capacities which can be used by management entities making policy
decisions at a network level or device specific level.

As a proof of concept, the working group will also write a MIB
module which describes management objects for the control of
differentiated services policy in coordination with the effort
currently taking place in the Differentiated Services Working Group.

Deliverables

1. A Best Current Practices document to provide guidelines on how
   to best use the existing Internet Standard Management Framework
   to perform configuration management.

2. A MIB module which describes a network entities capabilities
   such as support for a particular type of security or a particular
   queuing method on certain interfaces. The module will also convey
   the capacity of the device to perform certain work.

3. A MIB module which can be used to concisely convey information
   about desired network wide Diffserv Based QoS behavior.
   AD wonders: We indeed only want to do QoS for Diffserv for now
   to prove the concepts, right?

4. A document which describes potential future work needed to
   meet all the Requirements for Configuration Management.