Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-xiao-tcp-prec-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:00:09 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: TCP Processing of the IP Precedence Field
	Author(s)	: X. Xiao, E. Crabbe, A. Hannan, V. Paxson
	Filename	: draft-xiao-tcp-prec-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 25-Jan-00
	
This draft describes a conflict between TCP [RFC793] and DiffServ
[RFC2475] on the use of the three leftmost bits in the TOS octet of
an IPv4 header [RFC791] or the Traffic Class octet of an IPv6 header
[RFC2460]. In a network that contains DiffServ capable nodes, such a
conflict can cause failures in establishing TCP connections or can
cause some established TCP connections to be reset undesirably. This
draft proposes a modification to TCP for resolving the conflict.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-xiao-tcp-prec-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-xiao-tcp-prec-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-xiao-tcp-prec-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.