Subject: Document Action: UTF-16, an encoding of ISO 10646 to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:15:52 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the Internet-Draft 'UTF-16, an
encoding of ISO 10646' <draft-hoffman-utf16-05.txt> as an Informational
RFC.  This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Keith Moore.

Note to RFC Editor:

1. Please add the following IANA consideration section:

IANA Considerations

IANA is to register the character sets found in Appendixes A.1, A.2,
and A.3 according to RFC 2278, using registration templates found in
those appendixes.

2. Please change last paragraph of section 1.1 according to the following:
--- OLD TEXT

The IETF policy on character sets and languages [CHARPOLICY] says that
IETF protocols MUST be able to use the UTF-8 character encoding scheme
[UTF-8]. Although UTF-8 has many beneficial properties, such as the
direct encoding of US-ASCII characters, re-synchronization after loss
of octets and immunity to the byte-order issue (see 3.1 below), it is
less dense than UTF-16 for characters whose values are between 0x0800
and 0xFFFF. Some products and network standards already specify UTF-16,
making it an important encoding for the Internet.
--- END

--- NEW TEXT 
The IETF policy on character sets and languages
[CHARPOLICY] says that IETF protocols MUST be able to use the UTF-8
character encoding scheme [UTF-8]. Some products and network standards
already specify UTF-16, making it an important encoding for the
Internet. This document is not an update to the [CHARPOLICY] document,
only a description of the UTF-16 encoding.
 --- END