Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-smart-sec-model-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 09:25:33 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Basic Internet Security Model
	Author(s)	: R. Smart
	Filename	: draft-smart-sec-model-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 03-Jan-00
	
The first step in creating a secure Internet is to build a model of
the security requirements of the real world entities involved and
how those real world entities act on the Internet through the agency
of networked computers. This document presents a minimal model as a
starting point for discussion. In this model: 
o  The real world is composed of entities, each being: (a) an
independent legal entity; or (b) a sub-entity of another entity
(creating a multi-level hierarchy).
o  Running code is characterized by: (a) the entity that it acts on
behalf of; and (b) the entity that controls the environment in
which the code executes.
o  The environment can run on a bare unmanaged machine or it can be
a virtual environment which is code controlled by another entity.
o  We can model communication between machines as a sequence of
requests and assertions. The security question becomes: which
requests to honour. What is known about the provenance of the
requests and assertions is typically crucial.
o  Security can take place at different network layers and security
information must be passed between the layers along with the data.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-smart-sec-model-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-smart-sec-model-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-smart-sec-model-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.