Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-columbia-kermit-service-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 06:41:42 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: INTERNET KERMIT SERVICE
	Author(s)	: F. da Cruz, J. Altman
	Filename	: draft-columbia-kermit-service-02.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 27-Jan-00
	
This document describes a new file transfer service for the Internet
based on Telnet Protocol for option negotiation and Kermit Protocol for
file transfer and management.  The Internet Kermit Service provides
access to both authenticated and anonymous users.  The use of Kermit
protocol over a Telnet connection provides several advantages over FTP,
including easy traversal of firewalls, transfers over multiple
transports, and security via a combination of supported Telnet
authentication and encryption option negotiations, plus significant
functional benefits.  While this document describes a new service for
the Internet, the clients for this service already exist on most
platforms in the form of Telnet clients that support the Kermit file
transfer protocol.  These clients are available not only from Columbia
University's Kermit Project but also numerous third parties.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-columbia-kermit-service-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-columbia-kermit-service-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-columbia-kermit-service-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.