Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-fpeng-fcn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:39:30 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A proposal to add Fast Congestion Notification to IP 
                          and Improve TCP Performance in Wireless and Mobile  
                          networks
	Author(s)	: F. Peng
	Filename	: draft-fpeng-fcn-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 10-Jan-00
	
This paper create a method using a simple implementation to inform 
the traffic source at a very early stage that the network is becoming 
overload or congested and to ask the source to slow down its 
transmission rate. For simplicity, the network only indicates 
congesition to the node where data transmission rate will be reduced 
or increased adaptively. For the consideration of asymmetric routing 
and to shorten long control delay time, the congestion notification 
message generated for the incipient congestion in the network should 
immediately routed back according to its source address. Upon 
receiving this message, the source terminal discards this message and 
immediately initiates its congestion control, then it sends message 
to tell the network node to stop adding it. To improve TCP  
performance in wireles and mobile networks, we assume packet losses in
the network can not initiate congestion window reduction with this  
message to achieve    separation of congestion control and loss 
recovery mechanism. Then, I mention that this Fast Congestion 
Notification should be created once the buffer size exceeds the 
prefixed threshold and still generated though upon packet losses due 
to congestion until the messages inform the source redution of 
congestion window reache it. However, in traditional wired networks, 
it is no need of disable packet losses to initiate congestion 
control and the FCN will not required to be generated after packet 
losses due to buffer overflow occurs for the packet losses are mainly 
due to congestion in such environment. It is most noted that the 
source address of following Fast Congestion Notification messages 
will remain the same as the first one in a window to avoid reducing 
the transmission rate of multiple  TCP connections simultaneously and 
improve the fairness and performance either in wire or in wireless   
environent.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fpeng-fcn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-fpeng-fcn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fpeng-fcn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.